• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

jarosh said:
like most wii games, it looks pretty damn good on a panasonic plasma (i have one too). you should know by now that wii games and sd games in general look tons better on a panny plasma than on an lcd ;) you'll always notice the jaggies though, only a smallish tube tv will hide those somewhat.
This is definitely not my first Wii game but my Panny is less than a year old and I haven't played many Wii games on it. I can think of Donkey Kong Country: Returns, which looked pretty great, and Goldeneye 007, which didn't look so hot. I was pretty sure that Wii games (and SD content) were supposed to look better on a plasma but I wanted to hear about SS specifically. I'm using component cables, by the way.

Also, Chuckpebble, it's a 1080p 50" G20. Other than some buzz on really bright images I have no complaints, it's the best gaming TV I've ever owned by a country mile.

I'm glad to hear that the colors look great, I'm really looking forward to this!

:( Anyone else order from gamecollection.net? My order hasn't been dispatched yet as they haven't recieved stock yet apparently, my online purchases from Nintendo are always a nightmare (my 3DS arrived three days late after launch from Amazon).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Eat it, BITCHES

pFkbV.jpg

Big One

Banned
Smellycat said:
I have a feeling that you just spoiled the ending of the game. O.O
Meh he didn't to be honest. Skyward Sword is more disconnected as a prequel to the series than Ocarina of Time was. There are some
A Link to the Past references, sort of
. The game's story is really interesting, and the dialogue is better written than the stuff in Wind Waker, but the plot leaves more up in the air than I wanted it to. A big spoiler here but you might want to read to prepare yourself
the game doesn't deal with the formation of Hyrule Kingdom or Hyrule, ever
I'll post a review when the game releases on my expanded thoughts on this plus all the gameplay elements in the game.

Big One said:
Meh he didn't to be honest. Skyward Sword is more disconnected as a prequel to the series than Ocarina of Time was. There are some
A Link to the Past references, sort of
. The game's story is really interesting, and the dialogue is better written than the stuff in Wind Waker, but the plot leaves more up in the air than I wanted it to. A big spoiler here but you might want to read to prepare yourself
the game doesn't deal with the formation of Hyrule Kingdom or Hyrule, ever
I'll post a review when the game releases on my expanded thoughts on this plus all the gameplay elements in the game.
You've beaten it? Or just read spoilers?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just opened the box... so far its a 9/10

Yoshichan

Listening to Dark World orchestrated from the cd... Oh my GOD.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Question:

I just finished the first area but there was a couple of those boxes/treasures that you have to slice with a powered up sword and a couple of ropes crossings to higher ledges which I couldn't get to...does this mean I'll be re-visiting this area later in the game? Or have I missed a route out completely?

OCD about these things... :/

Okay, I think now I'm near the end. Finished the 6th dungeon and I was a bit surprised when it was finally revealed
who Zelda really was.
Also didn't expect to be sent on another journey, this time to
collect the three songs from the legendary dragons. On the other hand, we saw the whale before. The first dragon, had a fantastic set-up with the woods being flooded and all but oh boy was it a bland section. Least favourite part. Got the song from the fire dragon (who looks pimp) afterwards and now on my way to get to the thunder dragon. Looks like a dungeon coming up?

I'm really starting to like the inventory management too. Am I right in assuming that you can basically
buy and equip every secondary item as much as you like? Like buy 8 bomb bags and equip all of them?

Some side-quest related stuff:

The shiny thingies for the demon: I have 65 now and can't find any more by dousing so... last side-quest coming up?

I'm supposed to find a seed to plant in the past so it's fully grown in the present, right? Is it hard to find?

Where can I get the best (hyrule?) shield?

vDaedalus

So, what do you guys think of the game so far? Seems very much like a high B/low A game. There doesn't seem to be anything to do really. Link's hometown has like... 5 people there. :eek:

I hate the Sky. Very boring to travel around and rarely anything to find. They basically just seem to be locations for Goddess Cubes. It's basically the stuff I disliked in WW (boring, slow travel) without the good (less cool things to find).

The main town is nice. It's very Wind Waker. I'm assuming it's the only town though, which is a disappointment. But it's nicely designed and the characters are great.

The structure of having 3 main areas below the ground isn't too bad, but I get the impression I'm going to be seeing the same areas a lot. I'd rather have more distinctly themed locations I think.

butter_stick said:
The structure of having 3 main areas below the ground isn't too bad, but I get the impression I'm going to be seeing the same areas a lot. I'd rather have more distinctly themed locations I think.

I felt that only two dungeons were kinda the same. Coming from Twilight Princess though it's a bit of a disappointment that some themes didn't return.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well HMV has finally shipped it. "we'll aim to get it to you on the day of release" indeed. They can expect a rather negatively toned email if it isn't.

Yoshichan

Haunted said:
Hey, Yoshi. Hey buddy. Old pal.
fuck you
:D Plane ticket to Sweden, whenever you want bro!

Glass Rebel said:
I felt that only two dungeons were kinda the same. Coming from Twilight Princess though it's a bit of a disappointment that some themes didn't return.
I mean outside the dungeons. I'm sure the map opens up but it seems you return to areas a lot.

I think I read there's no
snow themed area
which is :(

Are any of you non-reviewer plebians who have gotten their copies located in the U.S.? Does Joe Shlabotnik need to choke a Nintendo World Store employee, or start hitting up mom-and-pop stores of ill repute?

I had the game in my hands today when I went shopping and came very close to buying it, but since Skyrim suddenly took over my live I thought it would be for the best to not buy another grand adventure right now. I think it'll make a fantastic game to play over the holidays, though.
But hey, at least I got Super Mario 3D Land! Funny how I just bought my first 3DS game only four months after buying the 3DS.

Big One

Banned
butter_stick said:
Eh don't worry about it. Everytime you return to the areas in the story it always ends with something different in some form or another. Each of the areas either get brand new areas which are very different from the themes of the area, or drastic changes to the previous areas.
Eldin Volcano gets the most drastic change ever and becomes maze-like, and pretty much the height of stealth gameplay in Zelda.

Big One said:
Eh don't worry about it. Everytime you return to the areas in the story it always ends with something different in some form or another. Each of the areas either get brand new areas which are very different from the themes of the area, or drastic changes to the previous areas.
Eldin Volcano gets the most drastic change ever and becomes maze-like, and pretty much the height of stealth gameplay in Zelda.
Ew,
stealth

butter_stick said:
I mean outside the dungeons. I'm sure the map opens up but it seems you return to areas a lot.

I think I read there's no
snow themed area
which is :(

There's still some variation in those outside areas too. It's true that you return to some areas a lot but not like in Metroid and even when you do there's some minor or major change. Best to experience it by yourself though.

To the spoiler:
I think it's true and it's a major bummer for me quite honestly. Not only because it was my favourite dungeon in TP but also because it would have looked magnificent in SS' artstyle :((

butter_stick said:
Can't wait to buy 3D Land tomorrow.

NoE why would you release Zelda and Mario on the same day?
That is a very odd decision but what a glorious day it will be for you Euro-gaffers. 3D Land is my favorite Mario game ever.

Top Bottom