• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

ASIS

Mistle said:
Ah yeah, that's no problem. I wonder why though, WW managed to render whole town(s?) seamlessly.
Because it take more time to get to a certain island. The sea acted as a loading screen, the sky, not so much.

Dascu

Mistle said:
Ah yeah, that's no problem. I wonder why though, WW managed to render whole town(s?) seamlessly.
Skyloft is bigger and busier than Windfall. That said, you can fly over Skyloft just fine and it looks really detailed even up close. It's basically for all the NPCs it has to load, and to make sure you don't land on rooftops or other no-go zones (when landing, it transitions you to one of the specified drop zones).

Mistle

Dascu said:
Skyloft is bigger and busier than Windfall. That said, you can fly over Skyloft just fine and it looks really detailed even up close. It's basically for all the NPCs it has to load, and to make sure you don't land on rooftops or other no-go zones (when landing, it transitions you to one of the specified drop zones).
Makes sense. If I was a developer, I'd probably opt for a 2 second loading time too instead of figuring out complicated loading techniques and designing the whole island to be "land wherever" proof, haha

Red

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah I know the series has had this for quit a bit, but it's a series designed around being in 3rd person ...on a SD system no less. Looking around in 1st person tends to put things at a disadvantage from a visual standpoint IE: these games aren't as pretty when Link isn't in the shot!
Yet another place where Dolphin is superior: full, unhindered camera control.

Haha I don't think I've had my expectations of a Zelda game lowered as fast as they have been this last week.

I'm sure I'm gonna love the game, but right now I don't expect it to be all revolutionizing.

It's probably for the best, went completely overhyped into Twilight Princess.

Damn, how good is this soundtrack CD? The Wind Waker track almost made me cry with the memories.
Got some chores to do then I'm gonna play the shit out of this game. Nice.

Mistle said:
It's a shame really. If it's as intrusive as jarosh says up the page then it could be a problem. I can generally deal with constant messages even if I recognise how obnoxious they become, but when they start ruining game designs and elements by literally solving puzzles for you, then it's a problem. Is there no Skeikah Stone equivalent in SS? D:
The problem more than ruining a puzzle (although there's a few instances that happen), is that it constantly reminds you of things the user would have dominated already, things like controls or how things work.

And the stones are there alright, which makes Nintendo decision of extreme hand holding the more puzzling. Hell, you can leave everything as it is now and just give the player the option to summon when it flashes, instead of taking the control out of the player to have the companion make some idiotic observation.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm a little behind the curve here, but I just found out about the three slowly expanded upon worlds beneath the sky. That seems really cool. I like the idea of a Zelda game familiarizing you with a handful of areas and them slowly revealing more of them to you as the game progresses. It's a shame the game doesn't let you choose which order you'd like to advance each of the sections in. That seems like the next logical step.

czk

Typical COD gamer
Mistle said:
Makes sense. If I was a developer, I'd probably opt for a 2 second loading time too instead of figuring out complicated loading techniques and designing the whole island to be "land wherever" proof, haha
Unfotunately it's 7-8 seconds. Everytime you exit a house in Skyloft, a bazar, a cave, a temple, there's always this almost 10 seconds white screen to make you happy! Also there's no day/night transition so if you want to do semething in the night you have to go into someones house that has a bed, sleep in it (watch the animation of link getting his sword and shield down) sleep (black screen) exit the house (white screen). Then when you finished you can't just jump on your lolwing, you have to go sleep again because they can't fly in the night you silly head.

Mistle

Nintendo-4Life said:
I do have one thing to add, the sky is absolutely gorgeous. you see, it's the same as WW's overworld. You hear people nitpicking about how it takes too long to travel, how there's not much to the islands, etc. But what they don't mention is just the sheer joy of using a method of transportation.

Trust me, even if the sky doesn't seem like there's much to do you will still spend sometime there, and just traveling with your loftwing is the best method of transportation of any Zelda game to date (which says a lot).

I do have ONE thing I don't like about the sky, but play the game first before we can discuss that (it's nothing major).
You and I seem to have a very similar perspective and attitude towards Zelda games. Not just from this post but others I've seen you make. I agree with a lot of what you say about previous Zelda games, and judging from what I've heard, I feel my thoughts of SS will be very similar to yours also. Plus, you have an MJ avatar, which gives you many credentials
KuGsj.gif

I do worry for the high reports of flaws in this game, but if they're anything like the flaws in previous Zeldas (which I am very aware of and open to), then I doubt they'll overshadow the brilliance the rest of the game holds. More so just act as a "why Nintendo why did you do this"...

Rez said:
So I'm a little behind the curve here, but I just found out about the three slowly expanded upon worlds beneath the sky. That seems really cool. I like the idea of a Zelda game familiarizing you with a handful of areas and them slowly revealing more of them to you as the game progresses. It's a shame the game doesn't let you choose which order you'd like to advance each of the sections in.
I posted an interview with Miyamoto a few pages back where he talks about this a little, if you haven't read it already.

czk said:
Unfotunately it's 7-8 seconds. Everytime you exit a house in Skyloft, a bazar, a cave, a temple, there's always this almost 10 seconds white screen to make you happy! Also there's no day/night transition so if you want to do semething in the night you have to go into someones house that has a bed, sleep in it (watch the animation of link getting his sword and shield down) sleep (black screen) exit the house (white screen). Then when you finished you can't just jump on your lofwing, you have to go sleep again because they can't fly in the night you silly head.
7-10 seconds? That's long enough to warrant a loading graphic lol. Surely they're not that long?
No day/night cycle is odd. I assume that's because the NPCs have dynamic day/night patterns that need to be reloaded. I'd be lying if I said I'm saddened you can't fly at night though. That was really atmospheric in Wind Waker, just hearing the boat creaks and ocean waves.

RPGCrazied

I'm so hyped for this game. So hyped in fact, come Sunday, I might not want to play it. From all the trailers, and impressions, its like I already have, ugh. Who am I kidding, I still will.

I wonder if you put the game on a HD, if it will cut down on the white screens, or make em faster.

Nintendo-4Life said:
This is really weird that people are complaining about this NOW. Zelda games always been this way, and i think they way they included it here is actually very fun. It's not fluff because you actually explore new areas while doing so.

Did LoZ have it?

ASIS

czk said:
Unfotunately it's 7-8 seconds. Everytime you exit a house in Skyloft, a bazar, a cave, a temple, there's always this almost 10 seconds white screen to make you happy! Also there's no day/night transition so if you want to do semething in the night you have to go into someones house that has a bed, sleep in it (watch the animation of link getting his sword and shield down) sleep (black screen) exit the house (white screen). Then when you finished you can't just jump on your lolwing, you have to go sleep again because they can't fly in the night you silly head.
10 seconds? something is wrong with your Wii then.

I just checked and it's literally 5 seconds.

I just figured out the perfect OT title for this game.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Where nitpicks are game breaking complaints.

Mistle

loving the exclamation mark smiley! lol

You know, if I could, I would erase all these reviews and impressions from my mind. I really try to prevent this, but I worry that when I do get to play SS next week, I will have all these pre-conceived notions and worries that may linger in my mind as I'm playing. Which could be detrimental to my overall enjoyment. I don't fear that I can't form my own opinions, because I can and will- it's just that I have all these others to compare them to.
For instance, I now expect a smaller sky with few areas. I expect a linear disconnected underworld. I expect fetch quests and sometimes-intrusive/handholding dialogue. All these things and more have been highlighted. If they hadn't, there's a good chance I wouldn't even care/notice. Pretty much, it'd be how I used to play videogames before gaf, which perhaps was a lot better lol

Hype still through the roof however. Australia getting it last is cruel.

Mistle

The Dutch Slayer said:
I have been on media black out since E3 2010 :p.
I do not know anything about the game.
I don't really know much about the game, (more than just 2010 news though haha) I've avoided spoilers well. I just know a lot about what people think of the game :p

I might use your tactic for the next Zelda release, if I can handle not knowing anything lol

Effect

I really hope I'm feeling better by Sunday. I feel myself getting sick and when that happens my body usually likes to force a rest period when the weekend hits. However even if I have to drag myself out of be Sunday morning I'll be at Best Buy picking up my preorder. Just can't decide on the guide if they have it in stock. However if I'm still sick I'll have to call in Monday and go to the doctor and take advantage of the day off. :)

Last night was the first time I took a serious look at the official Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword web site (NoA one). I didn't realize until I was going through that it was the first time taking a look at it. Had to stop myself from going into certain sections though.

Anyone getting the strategy guide for the game?

Mistle

i have to get a tooth pulled out in the morning of release day, then go straight from there to picking up the game.

such a contrast of good and bad for one day.

Empty

my copy arrived this morning.

played the first hour and a half. it's a slow start - which i'm fine with - but the visuals, the character design and the music are lovely, reminds me of the first island in wind waker. the motion plus combat is nice so far too, though nothing complex has been fought.

Haunted

Zelda spends more time making you care about the world you're in before it sends you out to save it than most other games.

Zelda is very kawaii in this game.

The game looks mostly good, but not Mario Galaxy good. Natural because of the larger areas I guess, but I notice it's Wii-ness more than I did in Galaxy.

wrowa

Haunted said:
Zelda spends more time making you care about the world you're in before it sends you out to save it than most other games.
Yep. And I really don't want that to change. Zelda isn't a game to rush through, it's a game you are supposed to completely immerse in. Just forget everything around you, and enjoy being part of that new world.

Anyway, I'm into the first dungeon now, and I really like what I've played so far. I already talked about the lovely beginning, so I won't talk about that again, but I just want to mention quickly that the first larger area of the game isn't quite like any other area in the 3D games. It really is what people thought before release it is: A little more ALttP-like in its design. While the 3D Zelda overworld until now consited to one part of a barren "hub" and some more or less tube-ish areas, the first area of Skyward Sword resembles something like a playground for link. It's not that huge, but you are on your own to explore different ways and solve different mini-puzzles in order to fulfill your tasks, and while this certainly isn't mindblowingly different, it still feels rather fresh. I really like that.

The first dungeon also has a very nice design and atmosphere to it, I absolutely adore the music.

The first dungeon zzzzz

I spent 20 minutes looking for a switch because the game tricked me in to expecting it to be above a door, not below it :(

Effect

Haunted said:
It's part of why I don't mind the slow start in Twilight Princess. I like it when games give you a reason, or at least tries to, to want to save those around you or the world in which the character lives in. Being just thrown into a world has it's place, especially if your character is a complete blank slate with no memory like the recent Fallout games, but there should be some "why" that takes place sometimes.

HylianTom

Banned
The Dutch Slayer said:
I have been on media black out since E3 2010 :p.
I do not know anything about the game.

It's killing me, but I'm on the same page as you. When I finally play the game next month, I'll be pretty clueless going in.

I knew too much about Twilight Princess, watching every online video, reading every review, hanging on every live playthrough, etc.. and I found that it diminished my enjoyment of the game too much. In contrast, I only knew a bt about the Wind Waker, and I adored that game (and still do).

butter_stick said:
Zelda is very kawaii in this game.

The game looks mostly good, but not Mario Galaxy good. Natural because of the larger areas I guess, but I notice it's Wii-ness more than I did in Galaxy.
What kind of TV are you playing on? I have a Panasonic Plasma and I'm wondering how the game will look in it versus an LCD/LED.

onipex

Haunted said:

Some people want it to be like LoZ where you just get a sword and go out into the world to explore and fight. Its pretty much a pipe dream because Zelda hasn't been that for so long and the best selling game in the series is far from that.

onipex said:
Some people want it to be like LoZ where you just get a sword and go out into the world to explore and fight. Its pretty much a pipe dream because Zelda hasn't been that for so long and the best selling game in the series is far from that.
We're getting dangerously close to "What Zelda can learn from Skyrim" territory here... :p

The_Darkest_Red said:
What kind of TV are you playing on? I have a Panasonic Plasma and I'm wondering how the game will look in it versus an LCD/LED.

On a plasma. It looks good, the colours are nice. Just the jaggies and the textures

butter_stick said:
On a plasma. It looks good, the colours are nice. Just the jaggies and the textures
Ah, thanks. I'm not looking forward to that but I'm sure I can deal. Hopefully the art-style will make up for it and I won't notice it after awhile.

jarosh

The_Darkest_Red said:
like most wii games, it looks pretty damn good on a panasonic plasma (i have one too). you should know by now that wii games and sd games in general look tons better on a panny plasma than on an lcd ;) you'll always notice the jaggies though, only a smallish tube tv will hide those somewhat.

Chuckpebble

The_Darkest_Red said:

Is it a 720p one? And also, is this going to be your first Wii game?

I have a 42" 720p Viera and all of my Wii games look wonderful on it, so I'm expecting the same from this game. You should have good expectaions. Although, mine is an older TV with an actual resolution of 1024x768, I don't know if they still make them like that, but I think thats the reason the Wii looks so good on it, the Wii outputs a 4x3 array of pixels that get stretched to 16x9 and the TV displays what would be a 4x3 array of square pixels at 16x9 as well.

Also, the colors on this set are sweet eye sex.

Empty said:
qq: how do you turn off the big wiimote icon on the hud. i'm sure i read you could do that before.

You have to play for an hour or so. When you get to a certain point Annoying Blue Girl tells you you can turn it off.

Haunted

Empty said:
qq: how do you turn off the big wiimote icon on the hud. i'm sure i read you could do that before.
Others have said that the option becomes available a couple hours into the game.

edit: beaten

Top Bottom