• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

K444WSR

I think the fact that LTTP thrusts you straight into the action is one of the key reasons I find it infinitely repayable. In general, I don't find the intro segments of 3d Zelda games that bad on a first playthrough, but going back to them afterwards, I find it way too cumbersome. I hope that with the introduction of
Hero mode
I'll find skyward sword more replayable,

cajunator

Banned
AdamBot said:
Dayamn!! I need to check a couple Wal-Marts on my way home from work!!
I'm going to go check the Walmart across from wherE I work at midnight. Even though I ordered the game already, I will instantly buy a normal copy if its just sitting there. My brother wants the game too, so might as well buy it now. This would be fucking awesome if its true.

jarosh said:
anyway, i'm sorry if i was a little harsh there. it's just hard to understand how someone could get stuck on these basic fetch quests for hours despite the game's HEAVY and obnoxious handholding. how are you gonna manage later on when the game throws more difficult and elaborate puzzles and quests at you? i mean, i got the items from that quest in a few minutes, without dowsing and without fi's help. i honestly never once got stuck in the game or was confused about where i had to go or what i had to do. the game sadly spells out pretty much everything for you. oot for example never gives you such explicit instructions for anything; it's much easier to get stuck in that game. take the seemingly "simple" process of acquiring epona, which is almost mindblowingly obscure by today's standards (take that for whatever it's worth) and would never be designed like that in a game like skyward sword.

The problem is the dowsing mechanic. You clearly see in my screenshot that it shows me that I should be able to kinda get there - so I wasted an awful long amount of time to try to get over to that stone formation from the wrong side.

It was only way later that I ran all the way back to find the right way. If the dowsing mechanic wouldn't have misled me, I probably would've given up on trying to find the way earlier.

Kard8p3

BY2K said:
Can't relate to that. I was 10 when I played ALTTP for the first time. I had to abandon the game at one point because I was stuck at the Skull Forest Dungeon (did every other dungeons before it).

It wasn't until my cousin called and told me I had to use the Fire Rod on the big skull thing that I could advance. I felt so fucking stupid. I never knew you could interact with the damn thing using the Fire Rod.

I know I got stuck at plenty of places when I played it but I refused to quit till I figured out what to do. Oddly enough I never got stuck at the Skull Forest Dungeon. I got annoyed by the wallmasters but nothing else really. For some reason my first instinct was to use the fire rod when I got to the big skull.

Dr.Hadji

K444WSR said:
I think the fact that LTTP thrusts you straight into the action is one of the key reasons I find it infinitely repayable. In general, I don't find the intro segments of 3d Zelda games that bad on a first playthrough, but going back to them afterwards, I find it way too cumbersome. I hope that with the introduction of
Hero mode
I'll find skyward sword more replayable,

You can get to the first dungeon in OOT is LESS THAN 5 minuets! You people are getting ridiculous. I'm out of this thread. So much nothing going on.

Aeana

The Walmart near here has the game, according to my sister. So I guess it is probably fairly widespread now.

thomasmahler said:
The problem is the dowsing mechanic. You clearly see in my screenshot that it shows me that I should be able to kinda get there - so I wasted an awful long amount of time to try to get over to that stone formation from the wrong side.

It was only way later that I ran all the way back to find the right way. If the dowsing mechanic wouldn't have misled me, I probably would've given up on trying to find the way earlier.
All the dowsing thing does is tell you if you're pointing toward the object in general. It does not take pathing or any other such thing into account - that's up to you to negotiate.

Dr.Hadji said:
You can get to the first dungeon in OOT is LESS THAN 5 minuets! You people are getting ridiculous. I'm out of this thread. So much nothing going on.
You don't get the Minuet of Forest until Adult Link though.

AdamBot

cajunator said:
I'm going to go check the Walmart across from wherE I work at midnight. Even though I ordered the game already, I will instantly buy a normal copy if its just sitting there. My brother wants the game too, so might as well buy it now. This would be fucking awesome if its true.

My only problem is if they only have the non-bundled game I don't have a motionplus. :\

jarosh

thomasmahler said:
It's not that, even though they do force you to learn all those mechanics as you did in all 3d Zeldas.

What I didn't enjoy was how long it took and that it just felt like a Soap Opera between Zelda and Link where she tried to kiss him 3 times and all that shit.

In A Link to the Past you wake up while there's a rainstorm going on outside, you grab a Lamp, you leave the house, you run through the rainstorm trying to find a secret entrance near the castle, you find your uncle wounded on the ground... Holy shit, man, that's an intro, that makes me want to go out on an adventure.

In Skyward Sword a few bullies kidnapped your bird.

See what I'm saying?

The whole soap opera shit just ticks me off a bit since I'm not fond of bad dialogue. If you're not into story, just don't write story, that's ok. A Link to the Past is doing well without it. But if you DO write bad dialogue then it's kind of a drag.
i can agree with pretty much all of that. in fact, lttp is the example i usually tend to mention as well. love that beginning. and that's what i meant when i complained about the lack of urgency in skyward swords beginning hours. link's awakening's first minutes (!) are equally straightforward but nevertheless captivating and full of mystey; there's promise of a great adventure. sadly none of that is true for skyward sword.

Aeana

jarosh said:
i can agree with pretty much all of that. in fact, lttp is the example i usually tend to mention as well. love that beginning. and that's what i meant when i complained about the lack of urgency in skyward swords beginning hours. link's awakening's first minutes (!) are equally straightforward but nevertheless captivating and full of mystey; there's promise of a great adventure. sadly none of that is true for skyward sword.
Well, I don't think the lack of urgency is necessarily a bad thing. Skyward Sword takes a different approach and tries to allow you to get attached to Zelda and introduce you to some of the people of Skyloft. Whether it is successful or not is another issue, but I do see what they were trying to do. Peaceful openings can be good if done well.

Gregorn

I stood up during the Ghirahim fight to make it feel more cool but it didn't work so well. Actually swinging the wii remote like an idiot often results in a spin attack due to being unable to keep the nunchuck still.

jarosh

thomasmahler said:

forget about the dowsing! seriously, just ignore it. if it doesn't take away from the adventuring and the exploration it will just confuse you instead. either way, you're better off without it. it really is ENTIRELY unnecessary. but the game tries to trick you into thinking it's some sort of integral mechanic. i have consistently ignored it and i never ran into any problems or got stuck.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
oatmeal said:
Sounds pretty standard, dude. I feel the same way.

As for:

Why did people complain about the 7.5 in Gamespot?

It's because it's Zelda, and they haven't played it yet.

As you said, it's not a BAD game at all. But it's not the next best thing in the Zelda franchise. It's not as genre-bending as games in the past.
Unless the 2 remaining thirds of the game are bad, from what I have played so far this is my favorite in the series. Love every minute of it :)
I read several reviewers say it's the best Zelda they've played, so I guess people have different opinions. On your side you make it sound like Gamespot is your only source on the internet: always referring to it and mocking all other positive opinions behind a LOL IGN. This is weird.

Feep

Banned
jarosh said:
forget about the dowsing! seriously, just ignore it. if it doesn't take away from the adventuring and the exploration it will just confuse you instead. either way, you're better off without it. it really is ENTIRELY unnecessary. but the game tries to trick you into thinking it's some sort of integral mechanic. i have consistently ignored it and i never ran into any problems or got stuck.
This is true. It's never actually required, except possibly for
finding the entrances to the spirit realms
later on.

jarosh

ShockingAlberto said:
I like how your ALttP description sounds more like a soap opera than anything else.
In A Link to the Past you wake up while there's a rainstorm going on outside, you grab a Lamp, you leave the house, you run through the rainstorm trying to find a secret entrance near the castle, you find your uncle wounded on the ground...
please point me in the direction of the soap operas you are watching

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BY2K said:
There is is. http://www.officialnintendomagazine...-is-the-first-zelda-game-for-everyone-aonuma/

So yes, yes the game is going to treat you like you never touched a game in your life. BUT FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, NINTENDO, add a option to turn it off! OP-TIONS!
Seriously. Generations at least lets you turn Omochao off, or Mario lets you decide whether or not to use Super Guide. It's nice that they're making it more accessible to nongamers and younger kids, but an option to disregard the help sections would be nice.

Still very optimistic about this game. The presentation (artstyle and music) seem very nice. Anyone know if anyone in the GTA or Toronto have the game (ie: Wal-Mart or Toys R Us since in my experience they've broken street date a few times)?

apana

One problem I had in Wii Sports Resort was that it was hard to remain calm while I was swinging my sword. My arm ended up hurting a lot for the rest of the day, hope that doesn't happen here.

oatmeal

Banned
I like Beedle in this one.

I've liked him since TWW because of his "HIIIIII" "THANK YOU!"

But now he has added sass, and that bastard dropped me out of a trap door!

That was awesome.

This game actually makes me want to find Rupees...which is great.

Kandinsky

thomasmahler said:

hmm... er.. I think you dont even know how dowsing works man :/

AdamBot

oatmeal said:

That was awesome.

This post just made my day.

oatmeal said:

That was awesome.

Yeah, I love how much stuff they put into the game. All the medals, bags, upgrades, potions, bugs, treasures... Just awesome. Puts Twilight Princess to shame in that regard.

Aeana

kiryogi said:
You can drowse for those? How?!
Once you upgrade your dowsing ability and find 30 and give them to Batreaux, Fi will tell you that you can now dowse for gratitude crystals.

EDIT: Thinking on it, that second part might not be necessary.

The perfect Dark said:
Wow this game is so beautiful. I'm now in the first dungeon. The controls are godlike. Love it. And the improvements are also great. Music is stunning

Lol it wasn't a dungeon. It was just the way to the dungeon...nice! :D
After 4 hours I entered my first dungeon. Cool, love this game.

GJS

oatmeal said:

That was awesome.

Have you slept until night fall in Beedle's bed in his shop? Some character development there.

oatmeal

Banned
GJS said:
Have you slept until night fall in Beedle's bed in his shop? Some character development there.

Shit really?

I will try this. I didn't even see a bed in there.

I wish that there were more people on Skyfall. It has very few people.

CassSept

With the supposedly-hard-to-find switch, doesn't the game even tell you in which room it is? I mean, Jesus, seriously.

On another note, 3rd dungeon is something completely different. Dayum.

oatmeal

Banned
butter_stick said:
Yeah, same. I wish I felt like there was more to do in the Sky :(

Yep.

I love the aesthetic of SkyLoft, I love the architecture...but I don't like how there isn't much to do there.

oatmeal

Banned
CassSept said:
With the supposedly-hard-to-find switch, doesn't the game even tell you in which room it is? I mean, Jesus, seriously.

On another note, 3rd dungeon is something completely different. Dayum.

3rd dungeon is fabulous.

And no, the game tells you it's high and low in the same room that has a low switch.

It's easy to get confused.

CassSept said:

The plate that tells you about that particular switch is in another room that also has a switch at the bottom. So when that plate tells you that you have to find one switch at the bottom and one at the top, your next instinct is to look at the top - but the actual switch it refers to it is at the bottom in another room. How again is this not confusing?

oatmeal said:
Shit really?

I will try this. I didn't even see a bed in there.

I wish that there were more people on Skyfall. It has very few people.

There are around 30 people total on Skyloft. The real problem is that they don't do much.

Island in Skyloft:

This fun fun Island game is driving me mad, trying to go through all the hoops (easy) then land on the 50 rupees square (ahhhhhhhh), has anyone done it? Is the prize worth the effort?

Amir0x

Banned
Glass Rebel said:
There are around 30 people total on Skyloft. The real problem is that they don't do much.

damn people were saying there was a lot more in-depth sidequests with the people that exist in Skyloft. Almost Majora's Mask-esque... Was even this a lie? :(

Top Bottom