• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

oatmeal

Banned
BY2K said:
The way they come at you, plus the music.

And...slight spoiler...

Having them all shoot a green light into the sky helps. You can go somewhere high and get a good look of where they are. THAT is the kind of exploration I want from Zelda. Want to find something? FUCKING GO UP HIGH AND LOOK FOR IT!

Dascu

butter_stick said:
The Silent Realm is bullshit bullshit bullshit. You can easily outrun the guardians, so it's just another point in the game where you're running around collecting things.
I imagine some enjoyment and challenge could be had, in the way you have to navigate these areas and find the best route to collect all of the shiny trinkets?

Big One said:
So why exactly are you using "fetch quest" as a criticism here again? I'm confused. "IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S GOOD IT'S STILL A FETCH QUEST." that isn't an argument, or else WRPGs would be the worst genre ever.
Because you gave a low figure of fetch quests when factually there are more in the game. There for i leave quality or enjoyment disscussion outside to be more objective. The reasoning is because you enjoyed some of the fetch quest you opted not include them in that number you gave. Im just being logical about it, hope now you understand.
Togglesworlh said:
Is it really that bad? It should be entirely possible to design a challenging dungeon without requiring players to avoid looking at the map they've just obtained.
Yes, its a compromise Nintendo should've avoided. For veteran Zelda players the map in this game becomes an exploration killer, even clashing with puzzle solving. So be aware of that.
Dascu said:
Hmm, no, I don't. I generally use the term fetch quest when you have to go around, talk to this or that NPC, etc., to "fetch" a few items. Basically when you spend more time going back and forth between different areas or locales. When it's all contained to one area or level, then I don't really consider that as a fetch quest. Or heck, like collecting special coins in a Mario game: I don't consider that a fetch quest. But when, say in an RPG, someone asks me to find A, B and C that are found in areas X, Y and Z, then that's what I'd call a fetch quest. I'm well aware that opinions on this can vary.
So you are in luck because what Bigone and the majority of people said are fetch quest early in the game don't subscribe to your arbitrary definition. Good for you.
Dascu said:
I imagine some enjoyment and challenge could be had, in the way you have to navigate these areas and find the best route to collect all of the shiny trinkets?
Too easy because the time limit given to the player is way to generous and the traversal and puzzle elements in these section are too light.

oatmeal

Banned
butter_stick said:
The Silent Realm is bullshit bullshit bullshit. You can easily outrun the guardians, so it's just another point in the game where you're running around collecting things.

So far it's been okay, but I've only done it once. Might get worse.

BY2K

Membero Americo
AdamBot said:
I ordered cheap ass component cables off Amazon for $4 including shipping. They work just as well as the $30 first party cables.

Edit: forgot to mention I ordered them Sunday they were in my mailbox Wednesday.

:mad:

Gregorn

Fi just stopped the gameplay and told me I should 'look around' the dungeon because I obviously wasn't already doing that and had my eyes closed. It's a good thing Nintendo put that tip in the game or else I would never make it through this game.

I should probably give this a break and play it when I'm in a better mood.

Dascu said:

It's very easy. I'll tag it just in case:

Because collecting a trinket = 90 seconds with next to no threat, it's just you running around collecting things. The only time it's ever been hard is when you're trying to find the last damn one, and the phantom guys come alive. But I quickly realised I could out run them by just sprinting, and by the time they got close my stamina was up and I could sprint again. So all I was doing was going around the same area I've been in before looking for a magical glowing item.

I'd just rather be put in a dungeon and told to kill 20 enemies, you know? Something more exciting or involving

TheExodu5

Banned
Spiffy_1st said:
Fi just stopped the gameplay and told me I should 'look around' the dungeon because I obviously wasn't already doing that and had my eyes closed. It's a good thing Nintendo put that tip in the game or else I would never make it through this game.

I should probably give this a break and play it when I'm in a better mood.
Wait...does Fi actually interrupt the gameplay, or is it just annoying like Navi?

JerkShep

I don't mind "fetch quests" if they're used as an instrument to encourage exploration of new areas
In the first two surface-areas I would have explored everything even without the "find X number of something" objective
But I have a problem with useless backtracking :/ I'm visiting
Faron Woods
for the second time and now I have to
go back to the first temple in order to find Sacred Water
, whyyyy? :( Should I expect the same pattern for every area?

sfried

Yoshichan said:
Less than 24 more hours until I'll put the disc in! I still can't believe it ;_;!

I'm trying to figure out which cables will make the game look the best... I currently have these:

JlSlm.jpg

Are they okay?
Check this thread. More specifically this post.

BY2K

Membero Americo
AdamBot said:
Did you order from a U.S. supplier? I have in-laws in Canada and it always takes around 3 wks to get packages when we ship it.

Unfortunately, yes.

But it said between November 11-18 and the 18th is tomorrow. It better be here tomorrow or I'm gonna crack some skulls.

Dascu

JerkShep said:
But I have a problem with useless backtracking :/ I'm visiting
Faron Woods
for the second time and now I have to
go back to the first temple in order to find Sacred Water
, whyyyy? :( Should I expect the same pattern for every area?
I read in, I think, TSA's impressions, that you only do that once.

TheExodu5 said:
Wait...does Fi actually interrupt the gameplay, or is it just annoying like Navi?
She takes control from the player to point out a lot of thinks, some down right in your face obvious, so i guess the answer is a yes?

I'm about 4-5 hours in now. I'll be blunt about it:

Keep in mind that for me A Link to the Past is a perfect game. I love it, I play through it about 5-6 times a year.

Right now I'd give Skyward Sword a 6/10. And the saddest part is that it's not even because of the controls, but purely because of the design. A few points:

1) The intro is terrible. Nintendo introduces a few bad guys (that have absolutely no character and are more annoying than the stupid Captain in Phantom Hourglass) that really don't play any role up to this point anymore, but stretch things out til eternity. I really, really, really hoped this time the intro would be more streamlined after the terrible intro of TP, but because Skyward Sword doesn't have fishing right at the start, this one's a little bit better. But just a little bit. It still takes ages for Link to get his tunic and to actually get to the real gameplay. Compare this to the epic rainstorm intro of ALTTP.

2) The design of the first dungeon is terrible. I mean... There are even stones in there that pretty much tell you: "Look, the switches are in the most confusing places, so find them and press them." I walked around for 40 MINUTES only to find the one at the bottom, just because I didn't think it'd be in that spot in terms of architecture / geometry.

The puzzle design... There's a cool puzzle where an eye looks at your sword, so you start rotating your sword, the eye gets confused and falls to the bottom. That's cool, let's move on. Oh, in the next room they REPEAT THE EXACT SAME PUZZLE, only that now there are 2 eyes. Note that the solution to the puzzle hasn't changed, they just simply want you to do it again. Well, okay, I thought, maybe they were a little lazy. But guess what - 5 minutes later, they repeat it AGAIN with 3 eyes. Are you kidding me? This isn't fun, it's just repetitive and mindless, if I ALREADY know what the solution to the problem is, yet you force me to apply that solution tons of times, you're just wasting my time instead of entertaining me.

3) Near the Earth Temple, I naturally can't enter the temple, cause someone has split the key up into 5 parts (it's hilarious how they try to explain that Zelda did run through all those dungeons in terms of story...), so now I'm on a fetch quest. Get this:

I spent over an hour now to find out where all those 5 parts are. I SPENT OVER AN HOUR TRYING TO EVEN GET INTO THE DUNGEON BECAUSE OF A FETCH QUEST. And doing so, I've been running around the SAME TERRAIN over and over again. That dowsing mechanic is complete shit in my book (Nintendo trying to copy Metroid Primes Scanning in a bad way) and Phai gives me bullshit hints all the time ("If you can't throw a bomb, try rolling it!" No shit, you stupid.... fuck, where's Navi?)

And then there are a ton of smaller issues, like:

I bomb up a wall, I find a silver rupee, but my money bag is full - so my 100 rupees are forever gone. WHAT THE HELL. They even fixed this in Twilight Princess, where they popped up a message that said: "Oh, but your money bag is full, so let's put it back for now!".

At this point I've been running around aimlessly so much, I'm not enjoying the puzzles, I still waggle a shit ton (the first hit is always important, then you waggle your ass off) and the pacing as well as the design is just average.

Im sorry, I'm ranting a lot here, it's actually a good game, but for a Zelda game... it just doesn't hold up. It doesn't have the charme the others have and so far there's nothing new. The controls are great, I love how Link moves his arm when I move my Wiimote, but there's just nothing here up tot his point that gets me excited.

Now the question is: I'm not even 5 hours in and this is easily the worst Zelda I've ever played. The controls are great, the core mechanics are solid, but the design of it is just lacking sooooo much. Why is this thing getting such insanely high ratings? Why did people complain about the 7.5 in Gamespot? I don't want to troll (again, I'm a HUUUUUGE Zelda fanboy), but right now I'd give the title a 6. It performs well in all regards, it's just pretty darn shallow in what usually makes a Zelda game great.

I hear that the game is supposed to get a LOT better after 10 hours, so here's hoping. But right now I'm just completely disappointed by the design of it.

TheExodu5 said:
Feels the same as Midna to me, as in you may get told something by a NPC and then she pops out with a small reiteration/task hint and then leaps back in the sword, she could certainly crop up less but it's nowhere near Issun (from Okami) levels....yet.

TheExodu5

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
She takes control from the player to point out a lot of thinks, some down right in your face obvious, so i guess the answer is a yes?
=\

Tip to any game designer: if you're going to have any tutorial or hint messages in your game, DO NOT interrupt gameplay with them. Never take control away from the player without their consent.

AdamBot

BY2K said:
Unfortunately, yes.

But it said between November 11-18 and the 18th is tomorrow. It better be here tomorrow or I'm gonna crack some skulls.

Mine said Nov 17-22 which had me biting my nails. I'd have been pissed.

thomasmahler said:
I'm about 4-5 hours in now. I'll be blunt about it:

Keep in mind that for me A Link to the Past is a perfect game. I love it, I play through it about 5-6 times a year.

Right now I'd give Skyward Sword a 6/10. And the saddest part is that it's not even because of the controls, but purely because of the design. A few points:

1) The intro is terrible. Nintendo introduces a few bad guys (that have absolutely no character and are more annoying than the stupid Captain in Phantom Hourglass) that really don't play any role up to this point anymore, but stretch things out til eternity. I really, really, really hoped this time the intro would be more streamlined after the terrible intro of TP, but because Skyward Sword doesn't have fishing right at the start, this one's a little bit better. But just a little bit. It still takes ages for Link to get his tunic and to actually get to the real gameplay. Compare this to the epic rainstorm intro of ALTTP.

2) The design of the first dungeon is terrible. I mean... There are even stones in there that pretty much tell you: "Look, the switches are in the most confusing places, so find them and press them." I walked around for 40 MINUTES only to find the one at the bottom, just because I didn't think it'd be in that spot in terms of architecture / geometry.

The puzzle design... There's a cool puzzle where an eye looks at your sword, so you start rotating your sword, the eye gets confused and falls to the bottom. That's cool, let's move on. Oh, in the next room they REPEAT THE EXACT SAME PUZZLE, only that now there are 2 eyes. Note that the solution to the puzzle hasn't changed, they just simply want you to do it again. Well, okay, I thought, maybe they were a little lazy. But guess what - 5 minutes later, they repeat it AGAIN with 3 eyes. Are you kidding me? This isn't fun, it's just repetitive and mindless, if I ALREADY know what the solution to the problem is, yet you force me to apply that solution tons of times, you're just wasting my time instead of entertaining me.

3) Near the Earth Temple, I naturally can't enter the temple, cause someone has split the key up into 5 parts (it's hilarious how they try to explain that Zelda did run through all those dungeons in terms of story...), so now I'm on a fetch quest. Get this:

I spent over an hour now to find out where all those 5 parts are. I SPENT OVER AN HOUR TRYING TO EVEN GET INTO THE DUNGEON BECAUSE OF A FETCH QUEST. And doing so, I've been running around the SAME TERRAIN over and over again. That dowsing mechanic is complete shit in my book (Nintendo trying to copy Metroid Primes Scanning in a bad way) and Phai gives me bullshit hints all the time ("If you can't throw a bomb, try rolling it!" No shit, you stupid.... fuck, where's Navi?)

And then there are a ton of smaller issues, like:

I bomb up a wall, I find a silver rupee, but my money bag is full - so my 100 rupees are forever gone. WHAT THE HELL. They even fixed this in Twilight Princess, where they popped up a message that said: "Oh, but your money bag is full, so let's put it back for now!".

At this point I've been running around aimlessly so much, I'm not enjoying the puzzles, I still waggle a shit ton (the first hit is always important, then you waggle your ass off) and the pacing as well as the design is just average.

Im sorry, I'm ranting a lot here, it's actually a good game, but for a Zelda game... it just doesn't hold up. It doesn't have the charme the others have and so far there's nothing new. The controls are great, I love how Link moves his arm when I move my Wiimote, but there's just nothing here up tot his point that gets me excited.

Now the question is: I'm not even 5 hours in and this is easily the worst Zelda I've ever played. The controls are great, the core mechanics are solid, but the design of it is just lacking sooooo much. Why is this thing getting such insanely high ratings? Why did people complain about the 7.5 in Gamespot? I don't want to troll (again, I'm a HUUUUUGE Zelda fanboy), but right now I'd give the title a 6. It performs well in all regards, it's just pretty darn shallow in what usually makes a Zelda game great.

I hear that the game is supposed to get a LOT better after 10 hours, so here's hoping. But right now I'm just completely disappointed by the design of it.

For what it's worth, I felt just like you. You're practically repeating my thoughts word for word.

Things get a LOT better once you're in the second dungeon. There's still a couple of things after it vent-worthy, but nowhere near as many.

Once you beat the third dungeon, you'll take the score of the game up at least a point or two, trust me.

CassSept

I'm so thankful I went on media blackout a month ago. And I'm only nearing the part where I really have nearly completely nothing spoiled.

TheCongressman1 said:
Wow, this is a really jerk-ish post.

I'm mostly joking about the cycle. But, it is true that the communities I used to be involved in didn't really care for Midna, so it's odd to see her being so praised now.
I was part of Zelda Universe, Informer, and GAF, and the response to Midna was overwhelmingly positive. Every review I read praised her character as well, so I was a little confused with your post. That, and I'm tried of people using this made up Zelda cycle to overrule any negative opinion or critique on Zelda games.

Also,
10554b.jpg

(lower right corner)

vDaedalus

thomasmahler said:
Im sorry, I'm ranting a lot here, it's actually a good game, but for a Zelda game... it just doesn't hold up. It doesn't have the charme the others have and so far there's nothing new. Why is this thing getting such insanely high ratings? Why did people complain about the 7.5 in Gamespot? I don't want to troll (again, I'm a HUUUUUGE Zelda fanboy), but right now I'd give the title a 6. It performs well in all regards, it's just pretty darn shallow in what usually makes a Zelda game great.

I agree with the sentiment, though I'd probably give it an 8 or so. For a late Wii title, I was expecting much more.

So is it odd that I enjoyed getting the key for the second dungeon? had they sent me back across old turf I would've balked somewhat but I covered new ground and I only had to douse for the last one.

hirokazu

Regarding the maps, the worst part is that there's no longer any map overlay on the screen, so I'd you ever need to orient yourself, you pretty much have to open the map screen. And see all the hint crosses on it.

TheExodu5 said:
Wow...I didn't expect it to be THAT bad. 3 hour intro -> shitty dungeon -> 1 hour fetch quest? Sounds like my first day with the game is gonna be a BLAST. :|
I spent forever looking for items in some fetch quests too. Obviously your mileage will vary; some people will find them all quickly and move on, it took me half an hour to enter dungeon two.

fernoca

TheExodu5 said:
=\

Tip to any game designer: if you're going to have any tutorial or hint messages in your game, DO NOT interrupt gameplay with them. Never take control away from the player without their consent.
Gameplay's not interrupted from what I've seen in videos. She appears in the beginning or middle) and tells you and then you're on your own. Is not like you're doing something and she appears out of nowhere to explain the controls.

The rest of the game usually you are on your own for the most part.

In general, I guess is about perception. I mean on this thread, some say the beginning last around an hour, recently I read..3 hours...and even some say half an hour. So, guess we'll all know for sure this Sunday (well, in the US :p).

CassSept

TheExodu5 said:
Wow...I didn't expect it to be THAT bad. 3 hour intro -> shitty dungeon -> 1 hour fetch quest? Sounds like my first day with the game is gonna be a BLAST. :|
That's basically quite it but he is overreacting A LOT. I don't understand how he couldn't get where the switch is when the game basically tells you where it is located. And I'm saying that as a person who got stuck for half an hour because I'm blind and I couldn't solve one of the easiest puzzles.

TheExodu5 said:
=\

TheExodu let me be clear with you and everyone else again. BUY THIS GAME WITHOUTH fear. It's fantastic.

Now it has stupid issues that make you think what they were thinking, it's like they feel so fucking afraid to challenge the player a bit in mental terms not dextrecity ones.

Ok TheExodu5, to fo fill your glass of fears to the brink :)
Hand holding is so strong that in 3 different but structurally similar sequences the companion explain the exact same think word for word, just like the first time.

Feep

Banned
thomasmahler said:
Not that I disagree completely with your points, but this statement here is a little iffy. One of the markers clearly tells you exactly where this switch is. I didn't find it until I received that hint, and then it was made painfully clear.

TheExodu5

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
TheExodu let me be clear with you and everyone else again. BUY THIS GAME WITHOUTH fear. It's fantastic.

Now it has stupid issues that make you think what they were thinking, it's like they feel so fucking afraid to challenge the player a bit in mental terms not dextrecity ones.

Hand holding is so strong that in 3 different but structurally similar sequences the companion explain the exact same think word for word, just like the first time.

I'm buying it regardless of how negative my opinion is before going into it. Don't you worry. :)

I look forward to being the vocal minority in the thread. And you'll like it!

Refreshment.01 said:

How far are you into the game? Dungeon 4 to 6 had pretty much no handholding when I played them.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Refreshment.01 said:

There's unfortunately a reason for that. Nintendo wanted Skyward Sword to be playable by 5 years old (I think it comes from one of the last 2 Iwata Asks of the game).

But Nintendo is too... "old school" for a lack of a better word, to add an option to turn all those hints and Fi off.

Kifimbo

And here come the backlash. This is gonna be the most polarizing Zelda game ever. But some of the complaints are hilarious. "I couldn't find this switch, this dungeon sucks!"

jarosh

you cannot judge the whole game based on 5 - 6 hours of playtime. you can give some superficial impressions, sure, but it isn't the right time to go into an overblown rant and assign the game an arbitrary score (what for anyway? attention?). it doesn't exactly make you come off as the most competent and level-headed observer.

AdamBot

thomasmahler said:
I walked around for 40 MINUTES only to find the one at the bottom, just because I didn't think it'd be in that spot in terms of architecture / geometry.

thomasmahler said:
I spent over an hour now to find out where all those 5 parts are.

So basically you're saying you suck at finding stuff.

Feep

Banned
Kifimbo said:
And here come the backlash. This is gonna be the most polarizing Zelda game ever. But some of the complaints are hilarious. "I couldn't find this switch, this dungeon sucks!"
THE GAME TELLS YOU WHERE THE SWITCH IS.

BY2K

Membero Americo
There is is. http://www.officialnintendomagazine...-is-the-first-zelda-game-for-everyone-aonuma/

Skyward Sword director Hidemaro Fujibayashi agreed, saying "Speaking as the director, we paid constant attention this time to making the game playable even for five-year-olds or nine-year-olds. We tried to make something that would not have a setting enjoyable only by fans or something only the creators would be happy with. And more than anything, this time you can have sword fights with Wii."

So yes, yes the game is going to treat you like you never touched a game in your life. BUT FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, NINTENDO, add a option to turn it off! OP-TIONS!

TheExodu5

Banned
jarosh said:
you cannot judge the whole game based on 5 - 6 hours of playtime. you can give some superficial impressions, sure, but it isn't the right time to go into an overblown rant and assign the game an arbitrary score (what for anyway? attention?). it doesn't exactly make you come off as the most competent and level-headed observer.
By the same measure, it's the game's job to hook and involve the gamer during the first few hours. If Skyward Sword opens up with the worst parts of the game, it deserves some flak.

If you need to have a slow build, at least open up with a bang before you commence the actual build-up (see: Final Fantasy VII, as an example).

fernoca

Plus in thomasmahler #2, the "eye thing" someone playing online showed it and the eye-stuff was the same in the first 2, but slightly different in the later. Yeah, the solution is "the same" but the way to do it involved some changes (one of the required the player to
be from a distance and on higher ground, so he had to push a block from the second floor , to the first, stand on it and raise the sword at a specific distance. Too close and 2 or one of the eyes closed
..so is not like you did the exact same thing over and over. Heck, that person beat it in like half an hour, instead of 40 minutes just looking for something.

Then again, Zelda games are well known to vary from player to player. Next game should be called TLOZ:YMMV.

Kifimbo said:

Not trying to be a jerk here but that tells me more about the gaming abilities of some posters than the game. The switch that's been mentioned is pretty apparent:
you activate a switch and walk through a door seconds before you get to the stone plate with the hint "one is above a door, one is below". there's a door the exact opposite of the first door. and the switch is under a bridge. I mean, seriously.

Edit: The more I read the impressions the more I think people are just bad at finding stuff in this game. Honestly, Fi didn't appear nearly as often as some of you are describing for me.

CassSept

Kifimbo said:
Especially since the game tells you where the switch is. Jesus.
I'm already enjoying it, so I guess this will end up as my favourite Zelda, but it's too early to judge.
The intro was the strongest since Ocarina of Time (sans oracles perhaps). The difficulty actually exists. The music is fantastic (though I've just reached 3rd dungeon and it is kind of grating on the ears, I agree with that). It is far more cinematic than any other Zelda before it. And I guess keeping myself in the dark for the last month helps a lot.

Glix

thomasmahler said:

This is why I take GAF breaks once in a while...

What is your crit here? The switch wasn't where you thought it would be so the design is terrible?

You know, they made the super guide for people like you, maybe it will help you enjoy the game more.

Top Bottom