• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

Many people wrote “they are not feeling it”, “it doesn’t feel like Tolkien”. After getting a good nights sleep after the second episode, I think I know why. When Lotr came out in cinema, fans hated the first trailer. “That’s not how I imagined it!”, because they knew the story and the characters from reading the book (or watching the old cartoon movie). They already had the world mapped out in their brains, knew how Gollum would behave, how the Elves and humans would interact. Remember the shitstorm because of Arwen saving Frodo in the first movie? Imagine that today.

The fact that the series does not “connect” like the movies is your expectation - and that you don’t know what comes next. It’s thousands of years before the films that inspired the show, but it tries to do its own thing in a slower pace due to being a series. We’ve seen already around 2 hours, in FotR we would have been in Moria now and gotten a lot of fighting and suspense. That’s how movies and series work: One of them needs to fill the screentime rationally, the other one can do some side stories to fill up blank spots that we’ve never realized where there. Kind of why The Last Jedi felt more like a TV show with the sudden fuel problem that we’ve never heard of before.

A TV show of a known IP will always struggle with expectations, with what people thought it might be. Heck, the same goes for video games like Last of Us Part II.

Me for my part will give it a chance to stand on its own footing. Does it need to be another GoT? Hell no. Another LotR ripp off? Also no.

Sure it has it’s flaws. But only looking for them instead of trying to finally enjoy another ride into Middleearth is something I won’t do anymore.
i started rewatching the movies before the show. fellowship on its own (extended) is almost 4 hours long lol. the pacing in ROP is going to be much slower for sure. it's really not fair to compare even the entire extended trilogy to the tv show. this is going to be a 5 season show (i think that's what is planned) with at least 40 episodes which should be roughly 40 hours worth of content.

i don't really think that's the real issue here. any fan of Tolkien would be over the fucking moon with 40 hours of "slow burn" content to watch. i think the problem is gatekeeping and purists. some people aren't going to be happy unless it follows Tolkien's lore to the very letter and some people have written the show off before even watching it (if the ever were going to watch it).

i went in with an open mind and i'm loving it. i've now watched both episodes 3 times each so far lol and that's something i rarely do. i'm so excited for episode 3 which can't come soon enough. to be fair, i don't know every single detail of this world and i'm largely learning stuff along with the show. i've only read Hobbit/LOTR and some of the appendices in ROTK.

your last line is perfect. i'm just happy we have new Tolkien content to enjoy. it might not be perfect and it might not hit the heights of the Jackson movies but i'm along for the ride.

Wildebeest

What really got the media industry worked up was Mad Max Fury Road. There was an online kerfuffle about how prominent Furiosa was in the film, which they perceived as great publicity as it made the film seem like something young people would like more as it was hated by old grumpy curmudgeons. This was tried before with Star Trek 2009 when they sneeringly went out of their way to say that it wasn't your "daddy's star trek" as that was lame, boring and confusing. I don't think they really antagonized Star Trek fans into a culture war as much as they wanted.

i didn't follow production closely. it seems after the first 2 episodes the development went on a break mostly due to covid. so for some people (not the haters cause they don't give a fuck either way) they might see some improvements with episode 3 onwards.

Not enjoying it so far. It doesn’t feel like Tolkien to me, and I’m disappointed they’ve gone the same route as Legolas with elf fighting for Galadriel. It was dumb when Legolas did it, it is dumb now.
I got two mins in and saw Finrod with short hair and thought to myself - oh here we fucking go. And then Sir Lenny Henry as a harfoot. This is going to grate on me.

Dialogue in the first ep is so mindnumbingly boring and really does not hook you into the world /characters. HotD has a vastly superior debut. You are instantly back in Kings Landing and things are popping off and you are invested.

That was one of my takeaways during ep1. Like did we really need to see people be bullies to Galadriel as a child and then her tackle a boy elf? Lazy writing and CW tier.

And then her turning back from elf heaven remembering the bloody boat. First off, we get it, we knowwwww she turns back, we watched LotR. Second, it grates me they have to flashback to a scene from beginning of the episode to really drive home that she is not going into the light. God they really dont trust the audience to take the hint do they.

was watching film threats review of this and the 4 of them have a great discussion and one brought this up as well, modern shows writers don't seem to understand subtext at all.. its hurting story telling.

Everything is literal to cater to folks who watch with their heads on their phone.

FunkMiller

Two episodes in, and it all feels very disjointed and without much of a purpose thus far.

Yes, yes. We all know it’s about Sauron rising again as a threat to Middle Earth. Get the fuck on with it.

They’re trying to copy the GoT style of lots of different storylines that appear unconnected, but none of the ones in this show are really compelling enough to hold individual interest - other than possibly Elrond and the seven dwarves.

All smacks a bit of padding. Because ultimately, that’s all this show ever can be. Padding.

Also, if meteorboy turns out to be Gandalf, that’ll be bollocks. Being a Maiar is fine, but Gandalf does not come to Middle earth until the third age.

6.5/10 so far.

Last edited:

Oberstein

Am I the only one who thought of this?

whX0edY.jpg

K2D

Banned
Did you and others blow a gasket to the Jackson films? They had some massive changes. From characters missing, changed, whole new stuff just written in.

Hell The Hobbit films was like 90% fucked with.

But RoP has black elves. The horror.
Same reason I wouldn't want european actors in asian legend/folk lore films. Tolkien based the LOTR universe on European lore. If you want to make a fantasy show with inclusivity, create universes built for it from the ground up and don't meddle with established worlds.

Last edited:
Did you and others blow a gasket to the Jackson films? They had some massive changes. From characters missing, changed, whole new stuff just written in.

Hell The Hobbit films was like 90% fucked with.

But RoP has black elves. The horror.
The changes were not major in the movies imo. The series is simply fanfiction. Your only argument against people who point out the flaws in the show is “you racist”. A tactic common with corporations and their shills.

And I don’t like The Hobbit movies.

Kacho

Gold Member
99% of the criticism I’m seeing has nothing to do with the race of the characters. Most of it has to do with general writing, dialogue, and character portrayals.

One specific criticism in terms of the writing is Galadriel jumping into the middle of the fucking ocean and then swimming back to Middle Earth. Shit is hilarious brehs.

Yoboman

I liked the first two episodes alot and can see a ton of potential

Is it as good as the greatest movie trilogy of all time? Of course not, but that's a ridiculous bar to set

It's certainly been better than the Hobbit so far

Oberstein

Like it or not, it's a success:

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power is the biggest thing Amazon Prime Video has ever done, and it looks like the J.R.R. Tolkien TV series has delivered.

Launching with two episodes in 240 counties and territories across the globe on September 1, the J.D. Payne & Patrick McKay co-created Rings of Powersnared more 25 million viewers in its first day, according to the Jeff Bezos founded streamer.

With some very big bucks behind Rings of Power, that global audience of over 25 million is the best and biggest premiere that Amazon Prime Video has had in its 15-year history

"It is somehow fitting that Tolkien's stories – among the most popular of all time, and what many consider to be the true origin of the fantasy genre – have led us to this proud moment," said Amazon Studios boss Jennifer Salke today. "I am so grateful to the Tolkien Estate – and to our showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay, executive producer Lindsey Weber, cast and crew – for their tireless collaborative efforts and boundless creative energy. And it is the tens of millions of fans watching – clearly as passionate about Middle-earth as we are – who are our true measure of success." https://deadline.com/2022/09/lord-o...f-power-amazon-jeff-bezos-tolkien-1235107279/

25 million viewers in its first day.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Almost as ridiculous as people giving the show 10 out of 10 which according to imdb who incidentally is owned by amazon there are more 10s than 1s
You mean people enjoyed the show? That's crazy.

And no you can't come back by bringing up "Oh well people just don't like the show? That's crazy." Someone loving a show and giving it a 10 is a lot different than someone hating it and giving it a 1. A 1 would indicate that it is absolute trash ass garbage. It would means it's unwatchable. And regardless of how you feel about the show it is not THAT bad by any measure unless you are intentionally trying to hate it for whatever reason you imagined up. Meanwhile people throw out 10s for stuff they love all the time now. It doesn't mean it's perfect like it used to. People overlook the small things because the love the rest.

The show isn't a perfect 10, but it certainly isn't a 1 and we know why some people are giving it a 1 already so I have no problem with them removing the 1s and leaving the 10s.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

And no you can't come back by bringing up "Oh well people just don't like the show? That's crazy." Someone loving a show and giving it a 10 is a lot different than someone hating it and giving it a 1. A 1 would indicate that it is absolute trash ass garbage. It would means it's unwatchable. And regardless of how you feel about the show it is not THAT bad by any measure unless you are intentionally trying to hate it for whatever reason you imagined up. Meanwhile people throw out 10s for stuff they love all the time now. It doesn't mean it's perfect like it used to. People overlook the small things because the love the rest.

The show isn't a perfect 10, but it certainly isn't a 1 and we know why some people are giving it a 1 already so I have no problem with them removing the 1s and leaving the 10s.
So its ok for people who liked it to give it a 10 but god forbids people who disliked it and are genuinely disappointed give it 1 without been called "racists" and "trolls". If that's the case then we are allowed to call those 10s shills

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
People were spamming zero star reviews because there are brown people in the show.
That isn’t true. To say everyone that doesn’t like something is because of racism is lying to yourself. You are part of the problem if you think people can’t be critical without racism. There are genuine criticisms of every show and most people don’t review bomb something because of racism. Don’t be ignorant.

This is the dumbest fucking thing I have read all day. Congratulations.

If it is OK for someone to give it a 10, its equally OK to give it a 1. Suggesting otherwise means you have your head up your own ass.

That isn’t true. To say everyone that doesn’t like something is because of racism is lying to yourself. You are part of the problem if you think people can’t be critical without racism. There are genuine criticisms of every show and most people don’t review bomb something because of racism. Don’t be ignorant.

He is a shill who is being paid to defend this and dismiss any valid criticism. Easier to create strawman arguments and post shit like what he does than have an actual conversation/debate.

Meh. The CG work is solid and it looks nice, but JA Bayona is no Peter Jackson, that's for sure.

That said, I like Morfydd Clark (she was the lead in my favorite movie last year, Saint Maud), so I'll keep watching because I like her as Galadriel.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Second episode was a bit better, I liked the dwarf segments and it seems the pacing might be picking up a little bit.

Will keep watching, even if the script is kinda dumb sometimes.

Nobody_Important

So its ok for people who liked it to give it a 10 but god forbids people who disliked it and are genuinely disappointed give it 1 without been called "racists" and "trolls". If that's the case then we are allowed to call those 10s shills
Call them whatever you want. Doesn't bother me.

Nobody_Important

This is the dumbest fucking thing I have read all day. Congratulations.

If it is OK for someone to give it a 10, its equally OK to give it a 1. Suggesting otherwise means you have your head up your own ass.
I'm not saying people can't give it a 1. Give it a one if it really insulted you in such a way, but don't be surprised if your review gets mixed in with the review bombers and gets removed. Or give it a 2 or 3 and you get your wish of lowering the score without your review being removed.

Kimahri

Banned
I'm not saying people can't give it a 1. Give it a one if it really insulted you in such a way, but don't be surprised if your review gets mixed in with the review bombers and gets removed. Or give it a 2 or 3 and you get your wish of lowering the score without your review being removed.
If you're gonna allow reviews, you have to actually allow reviews.

Any tampering whatsoever renders any kind of ratings null and void.

Nobody_Important

If you're gonna allow reviews, you have to actually allow reviews.

Any tampering whatsoever renders any kind of ratings null and void.
You don't have to allow hate trains to run over a piece of media and companies know that. Which is why when cavemen start review bombing stuff based on prejudice or memes the sites usually step in to fix the problem.

Kimahri

Banned
You don't have to allow hate trains to run over a piece of media and companies know that. Which is why when cavemen start review bombing stuff based on prejudice or memes the sites usually step in to fix the problem.
I know how it works. But companies removing bad reviews for their own products still is, and always will be untrustworthy. It doesn't matter why.

Calling them cavemen kinda lumps you in with them though. Where does this need to call people who hate RoP derogatory names come from?

I see it a lot from several posters.

Nobody_Important

I know how it works. But companies removing bad reviews for their own products still is, and always will be untrustworthy. It doesn't matter why.

Calling them cavemen kinda lumps you in with them though. Where does this need to call people who hate RoP derogatory names come from?

I see it a lot from several posters.
I'm referring to the review bombers. Not the normal people who just don't like the show.

Nobody_Important

Do you hear yourself?
Yes. I'm answering your question. Of course I can't tell who is who unless the review is deliberately obvious, but the company can tell. If you have a flood of brand new accounts that were made within hours of the show releasing all giving the same exact show the lowest score possible while it's reviewing quite well on the critic side everywhere else then it's fairly obvious that those reviews might not be legitimate. Especially when some of those reviews are deliberately hateful and biased in their content.

This isn't hard.
The company that is owned by amazon? You must be pretending to be dense
Amazon owning the site doesn't mean the site is no longer allowed to step in to moderate the score of an Amazon show when it is being deliberately review bombed. The whole point of user scores is to show an honest ballpark number based on user scores. That's hard to do when a lot of the negative reviews are not honest.

Once again. This is not hard.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Just watched it. It's a solid meh. 5/10, not as bad or good as people are making it out to be. I'd be surprised if this had staying power. House of the Dragon is way better.
This is almost where I'm at. I give it an 8 and just like with HotD it feels great to be back in the setting. It scratches the high fantasy itch without it being over the top grimdark like HotD. But I think HotD is way better.

I am just a much bigger GoT fan than I am a LOTR fan.

Konnor

Amazon owning the site doesn't mean the site is no longer allowed to step in to moderate the score of an Amazon show when it is being deliberately review bombed. The whole point of user scores is to show an honest ballpark number based on user scores. That's hard to do when a lot of the negative reviews are not honest.

Once again. This is not hard.

What about the Amazon astroturfers that are spamming 10s, will amazon ban them too? What a bunch of intellectually dishonest horseshit.

Just watched it. It's a solid meh. 5/10, not as bad or good as people are making it out to be. I'd be surprised if this had staying power. House of the Dragon is way better.
Honestly I think if we're legit using the whole 1 to 10 scale, 5 pretty much exactly nails the score. It's got a billion dollar budget so it looks and sounds great but what you're seeing is so vapid and soulless and has literally nothing to do with Lord of the Rings or Tolkien's world. So it's a 10 for money spent and a 1 for the rest, that averages out to 5.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

What about the Amazon astroturfers that are spamming 10s, will amazon ban them too? What a bunch of intellectually dishonest horseshit.
Of course they won't delete positive reviews. What a stupid question lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom