• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So you admit that they're actively manipulating the score twice, both with astroturfers and by censoring people that are supposedly manipulating the score when in reality they're doing the same
No i admit that they are policing the review bombers and not changing the positive reviews they receive.

You are the one that seems to believe the positive reviews are fake. That's a you thing. Not me.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

If that comet man is Gandalf, the entire LOTR fandom will explode with pure hate.

Yeah I have to assume it's someone else, but then you wouldn't put it past the suits to insist BUT IF WE HAVE GANDALF IT WILL DRIVE ENGAGEMENT etc. Really only the hard core lore turbonerds know anything about this anyway, that's a small part of the potential market for this show.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Yeah I have to assume it's someone else, but then you wouldn't put it past the suits to insist BUT IF WE HAVE GANDALF IT WILL DRIVE ENGAGEMENT etc. Really only the hard core lore turbonerds know anything about this anyway, that's a small part of the potential market for this show.
Dont underestimate the hate of turbonerds.

Konnor

No i admit that they are policing the review bombers and not changing the positive reviews they receive.

You are the one that seems to believe the positive reviews are fake. That's a you thing. Not me.

And you're the one that seems to believe that the review bombing is real and not a narrative the corporate fucks are using to censor dissent. What's your fucking proof that it's not just people who hate the show because it sucks? With no proof either way it's just a corrupt corporation using its power to maliciously change the score of its shitty tv show.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
And you're the one that seems to believe that the review bombing is real and not a narrative the corporate fucks are using to censor dissent. What's your fucking proof that it's not just people who hate the show because it sucks? With no proof either way it's just a corrupt corporation using its power to maliciously change the score of its shitty tv show.
I guess we will just have to wait and find out won't we.

If you're right the shows viewership will tank and it will be canceled.

If I'm right the show will continue to be viewed by millions of people and get renewed.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

Setzer

First episode was a snoozefest and the second episode was a little better but not by much. Dialogue is mostly terrible, story is not engaging, at least after 2 episodes, and the characters are boring. My favorite part so far was the stuff with Elrond and the Dwarves. Visually the show is stunning, I'll give it to Amazon for that, but everything else is just mediocre.

Not surprised to see it getting review bombed.....the show is not a "10" and no where close to it, but it's also not a "1" either.

Konnor

If you mean it is stiff and formal well, come on, you read the books right, this is just true to the feel of the source material. And even within those parameters I found it fine.

It's melodramatic bullshit trying really hard to sound serious and emulate what LOTR characters would sound like but doing a really bad job at it. Someone else mentioned it itt that it is sometimes CW tier. Btw using formal English was never a problem in the LOTR movies because they were well written.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Is that the same guy with markus from detroid become human

e937b-16619568040592-1920.jpg

Last edited:

sol_bad

Man, The people rating this meh/10 or 1/10 must have some absolutely incredible and stellar TV shows that they are hiding from society.

I put this shows plot on equal footing to House of Dragons, not much has happened in either show. Character drama edges ahead in House of Dragons. Visuals and audio are easily and by far the best in Rings of Power.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
“No, they are not manipulating reviews your honour and honourable members of the jury. What they are doing is zero oversight on positive reviews and aggressive preemptive moderation action on negative ones only… totes different…”.

I am not upset about your shilling, more about how you’re pretending this forum is full of morons that would buy that argument 😂.

Last edited:
im trying to read through the appendices. didn't realise a large chunk of it was just calendars, family trees, language stuff. seems only appendice A is worth reading. the rest is just for reference and probably easily searchable online. i was lost during some parts of A but the aragorn/arwen part was beautiful.

looking forward to starting the silmarillion :)

Bojji

So far it's much better than expected. I love the visuals, house of dragon in this department is way worse.

I know where all hate is coming from but it's worth it even for eye candy alone and story doesn't seem bad either.

Edit: Celebrimbor looks much older than other Elves and this should not be the case.

Last edited:
I guess we will just have to wait and find out won't we.

If you're right the shows viewership will tank and it will be canceled.

If I'm right the show will continue to be viewed by millions of people and get renewed.

Time will tell.
I don’t think so. I think the show will never be cancelled no matter how bad the ratings are. Amazon has invested too much into. Was that an article that said that the show will succeed because the execs “need” the show to succeed. It’s like the CW Batwoman show. It got a second season despite the poor viewership numbers.

K2D

Banned
99% of the criticism I’m seeing has nothing to do with the race of the characters. Most of it has to do with general writing, dialogue, and character portrayals.

One specific criticism in terms of the writing is Galadriel jumping into the middle of the fucking ocean and then swimming back to Middle Earth. Shit is hilarious brehs.
From the 20 minutes I've watched of episode 1, the most jarring thing is how flawed and similar the elves in the show are to humans. A liberty they've taken to construct drama I surmise.

I rolled my eyes at how all the ignorant or "bad" characters were white males, in the same episode were they introduce a brown (half-?)elf into the universe. Nothing wrong with either if your standards are the movies, but just ironic.

My guess..of course amazon will renew for season 2 only to spite the hate they are getting. After THAT season tanks viewers, they will quietly cancel the show.

killatopak

Gold Member
Kinda jarring to have elves with short hair. I always pegged them to have long lush hair in Tolkien-verse.

IIRC someone in the thread pointed out that their bow strings were made from their hair so it's a lore break I guess.

Dude in the meteor could be a bad guy for all we know unless it's another lore break since everyone who is versed here in Tolkien lore seems to imply the wizards either came by ship or at a later date.

Kinda cool to think about it. If for some reason the Hobbits or Harfoot are one of the driving forces in making the rings are also the one to end it in LotR. Kinda poetic if you think about it.

Last edited:
My guess..of course amazon will renew for season 2 only to spite the hate they are getting. After THAT season tanks viewers, they will quietly cancel the show.
season 2 was confirmed already. filming starts next month in the UK.

i don't think they will cancel after just 2 seasons. they've spent far too much money on it. it would need to be really bad for them to do it. i think you'd be getting way ahead of yourself, 2 episodes in, to say it will tank. it seems like people want to hate and shit on the show. that was always going to happen but it seems like most people are enjoying it.

edit: also it seems amazon agreed to 5 seasons as a condition to get the rights from Tolkien Estate. if they don't honour that then they could having legal issues with Tolkien Estate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomeru

This show is fing great. Im loved every minute of the two episodes. It had nice pacing and I really like the feeling of it all.

No review can convince me Im not having a good time.

Also, I'm so glad no Frodo.

Kinda jarring to have elves with short hair. I always pegged them to have long lush hair in Tolkien-verse.

Not to dismiss your opinions, but that is petty af.

I guess I did dismiss your opinion. Sorry.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So man in crater is young Gandalf?
That's my take so far too. Either him or
Saruman

I'm not a LoTR fan and connoisseur, but as far as I remember they were both from the same race. Basically one went rogue, the other didn't.

Last edited:
This show is fing great. Im loved every minute of the two episodes. It had nice pacing and I really like the feeling of it all.

No review can convince me Im not having a good time.

Also, I'm so glad no Frodo.
i don't understand people complaining about pacing. we're only 2 hours into what is going to be a 40-50 hour story.

for comparison, if this was the extended movies you'd only be about 29-36 minutes into Fellowship. that's when Bilbo leaves the ring then goes to Rivendell, the hobbits are out drinking, and Gandalf returns to the shire and puts the ring in the fire to check if it has any markings.

killatopak

Gold Member
Not to dismiss your opinions, but that is petty af.

I guess I did dismiss your opinion. Sorry.
Petty, yes but also true. The show has a long list of petty complains that add up. It doesn’t affect my overall watching experience but does linger at the back of my mind. 6 movies of Jackson based elves will do that.

Petty, yes but also true. The show has a long list of petty complains that add up. It doesn’t affect my overall watching experience but does linger at the back of my mind. 6 movies of Jackson based elves will do that.
i decided not to try compare the movies to the show. they were always going to have differenes.

i think it's silly to get worked up over elves having short hair. they look great i think. it wasn't even something that i noticed until i went online and saw people crying about it.

season 2 was confirmed already. filming starts next month in the UK.

i don't think they will cancel after just 2 seasons. they've spent far too much money on it. it would need to be really bad for them to do it. i think you'd be getting way ahead of yourself, 2 episodes in, to say it will tank. it seems like people want to hate and shit on the show. that was always going to happen but it seems like most people are enjoying it.

edit: also it seems amazon agreed to 5 seasons as a condition to get the rights from Tolkien Estate. if they don't honour that then they could having legal issues with Tolkien Estate.

Lets wait for Wheel of Time season 2 and see how that does and what happens after. Even Witcher had a bit of a drop off at season 2. None could sustain a GoT run as of yet.

Oh I keep watching for sure, supposedly a big battle happens in ep 4 or 5.

Kimahri

Banned

People tend to forget that Jackson's movies didn't really create that style. They used Alan Lee and John Howe as their main concept artists, and thus relied on a very established look that had been fronted in Tolkien books for years already.

The look in Jackson's film was pretty much a faithful representation of what had already in many ways been cemented as how middle earth looked.

Howe is involved in RoP though, but to what extent I don't know.

There are definitely scenes tjat look like his paintings though. Such as the waterfalls cascading down the mountain outside khazad-dum.

But how people and costumes look is a radical departure at times.

Top Bottom