• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

DKehoe

This show is a fucking disaster…

…for both the anti-woke brigade, and the woke warriors.

Because it’s ok.

Not terrible, not amazing. Satisfies neither of them. Must be awful for them sat at their keyboards, not able to point at anything concrete and scream how their point of view is justified.

Commiserations to all of you.
Reminds me of that 2016 Ghostbusters movie. The culture warriors drew their battle lines of it either being the worst thing ever or a trailblazing instant classic. And then it was just entirely unremarkable.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I don't know what to think about this exactly. I wasn't exactly looking forward to it, but it is something that was fine to watch, but afterwards leaves me wondering what is wrong about it other than the obvious things like the halflings having a seriously weird mix of accents. I'm happy that they change and add things, so we are not just going through a middle earth history lecture. I'm glad that we are not forced to sit through a heap of sassy marvel banter or "toss a dwarf" callbacks. I think, if anything, when Galadriel was made to leave, there should have been more epic oration and rhetoric, and it was too prosaic and straightforward.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Watched the Second episode, Galadriel on a raft with Jalad @ Tanagra there arms wide...horrible. She's ruining the show..seriously
I enjoyed the Dwarfs for the most part. except why Balin is suddenly a whiny bitch that resents his friends absence living his own life far from him was stupid.. Dwarfs are extremely long lived too wtf ,Dwarfs fucking LIVE for duty and honor for their clan and wouldn't respect anyone that neglected their responsibilities. Did Elrond shun his emissaries that were sent to formally invite the Elves to this glorious union?.. no he was suppose to fucking emotionally KNOW and be there..just cuz you know feelings, ridiculous contrivance to create conflict.. however the rest of it was great and felt like Dwarves.
Harfoots are weak, i've forgotten they're suppose to be small now..they seem just like a regular hippy druid villiage folk.

I don't think thats Gandalf , I think its going to be more subversive and its Saruman..but who knows maybe its actually Gandalf

Chato has a great take on second episode i generally agree with him.. for a generic fantasy show its ok..

Why don’t they just make a bunch of Silmarillion movies?
i don't think anyone is allowed to make content based on silmarillion. for a long time the hobbit was untouchable. with hindsight maybe that was for the best. the world would be a better place without the hobbit movies.

not really sure what the tolkien estate has against making silmarillion content.

Cyberpunkd

i don't think anyone is allowed to make content based on silmarillion. for a long time the hobbit was untouchable. with hindsight maybe that was for the best. the world would be a better place without the hobbit movies.

not really sure what the tolkien estate has against making silmarillion content.
I remember Christopher Tolkien mentioned he considered the book impossible to film.

Wildebeest

Silmarillion is actually a bit of a problematic work itself. It was compiled after Tolkien died and had a stuff added to it. It is not strictly considered to be an "authoritative document" on the history of that world, but a myth written much later by someone, maybe Bilbo Baggins, who made a lot of stuff up to fill in the gaps. It wasn't exactly considered a crowd pleaser at any point in its life.

Corpsepyre

Banned
There's definitely that feeling of "Is this wholly necessary?", because Jackson showed what this is leading to in the first five minutes of Fellowship, and did it well, heh. Don't need every single blank filled. A series based on the First Age would have been a LOT more interesting, imo, but anyway...

Enjoyed the show for what it was. Didn't care much for the side characters and they felt like regular folk from some standard lowbrow fantasy. On the other hand, we have all the Tolkien high fantasy going on with the legacy characters. Let's hope there isn't a stndalone episode with the side folk solely.

Also, fucking Khazad Dum was splendid. Marvelous. And that score by Bear was magnificent.

Wildebeest

The only way the first two episodes of this show could really have been elevated would be by injecting a large dose of Tom Bombadil.

Maybe I'm just not invested in the Tolkien lore too much, but I liked this so far? I was expecting every male character to be shit on, and every male character to be lectured at. Instead it's actually directed fine, the dialogue is good, and I sort of don't get the complaints about certain scenes. There are disagreements between characters which is handled fine and realistically. Okay the troll fight in the snow cave is a bit wonky, but it's an okay way to show the main character is actually competent and battle hardened as she's been hunting Orcs for hundreds of years. The whole Anti Woke mob has been rallying against this tv show for a long while, and even started posting fake comments about how the intro is cheap, and that scene they keep posting is actually not the intro.
It's a fun show and I'm interested where this will go, and I'm laughing at the whole: WELL why is the Dwarwi so pissed at the Elf for not showing up for all those life events.... I'm like dude ... Dwarves hold a bloody grudge lol for the slightest thing.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I hope they come out and say who this likely Istari is. I was thinking on this earlier, and I really don't need long-lasting mystery stuff ala Lost here. It's Lord of the Rings, just tell us who it is and start developing the character already.

Reactions: KO7

Hardensoul

I hope they come out and say who this likely Istari is. I was thinking on this earlier, and I really don't need long-lasting mystery stuff ala Lost here. It's Lord of the Rings, just tell us who it is and start developing the character already.
Rumor spoiler says he will be revealed by episode 7.

Ulysses 31

An interesting point YT videos bring up is how engaging the movie was in 2 hours vs this show. They seem to have a point that the show is a bit on the slow side when it comes to telling an engaging story.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I did notice when I watched the first episode a second time that their were Ents when the comet was flying overhead.

My wife watched and she hates any action of intense nature. But she watched and will watch the third episode.

Ulysses 31

I did notice when I watched the first episode a second time that their were Ents when the comet was flying overhead.

My wife watched and she hates any action of intense nature. But she watched and will watch the third episode.
iu

She didn't like any of the sieges in the LOTR trilogy? :messenger_open_mouth:

Fbh

First 2 episodes were pretty much what I expected
It's entertaining enough but so far the amazing production values are doing all the heavy lifting, and they won't be able to carry this forever.. Can't say I'm really invested in any of the characters or plotlines at this point.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Reminds me of that 2016 Ghostbusters movie. The culture warriors drew their battle lines of it either being the worst thing ever or a trailblazing instant classic. And then it was just entirely unremarkable.
No that movie is worse than VX nerve gas.

Thaedolus

I have zero issue with trying an all female reboot of Ghostbusters. I strongly take an issue with the “humor” in the movie being so fucking dumb it gave half the population brain cancer.

Pidull

I just saw news that Amazon is suspending public reviews of Rings of Power. I haven't watched it because I'm not super interested in it (same as House of the Dragon).

Honestly this strikes me as Amazon exerting their influence, sounds like bullshit. What's the reality?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I just saw news that Amazon is suspending public reviews of Rings of Power. I haven't watched it because I'm not super interested in it (same as House of the Dragon).

Honestly this strikes me as Amazon exerting their influence, sounds like bullshit. What's the reality?
Regardless of how you feel about RoP, this should be a HUGE area of concern. If amazon does it for a tv show, what else might they do it for? A faulty hardware product, privacy concerns about their cloud services, can other companies pay them for the same privilege? Such blatant self-serving attitudes and information squelching is a major issue with just massive conglomerates that control all aspects of how information reaches consumers.

This is what amazon shows for reviews. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

VqNtc0X.jpg

And if you try to write one, you get this

g8yRUqi.jpg
So if you watch it with someone else's account, better get ready to watch it again before you can comment. Great way to pump those viewer numbers :p Doersn't really surprise me, though I wonder if "Verified Purchaser" will become mandatory to review ANYTHING on amazon, surely RoP isn't that unique?

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I watched the first 2 episode's and i have to say i'm not that impressed so far, the story seems all over the place and it doesn't feel like Lord of the Ring's just a generic fantasy at the moment, i'm wondering where the 1 billion went, hope it gets better.

DKehoe

No that movie is worse than VX nerve gas.

I have zero issue with trying an all female reboot of Ghostbusters. I strongly take an issue with the “humor” in the movie being so fucking dumb it gave half the population brain cancer.
I’m not saying that movie is good. It’s not at all. But the way people talk about something that’s mediocre and forgettable is strange. People talk about it like it’s bringing about the fall of Western civilisation.

Pidull

People were spamming zero star reviews because there are brown people in the show.
I can't speak a lot to this because honestly I don't know enough about the books to know if this is an absurd inaccuracy or not, but as a white person in a white society we've definitely had it instilled in us that it should be a white person cast.

It makes some sense? I mean I'm not playing Ghost of Tsushima and bitching about a lack of minorities, but as long as their inclusion doesn't completely overshadow the Asian contingent I probably wouldn't care too much.
There are as many haters giving it 0's as there are shills giving it 10's and that can't happen.. since it will drive the shows rating to the middle(where it deserves to be)
That's a bit disappointing, basically means the show is probably going to be forgettable, much like the new Star Wars trilogy.

That's media I guess. I think the issue is we're in this weird place in society in which we're correctly trying to be more inclusive, so when anything is not great people latch onto the most visible change. Skin color or sex are an easy to spot visible change, so you get idiots giving 0's or 10's based on the visible change, rather than the quality of content.

And then you have people stuck in they middle who don't give a shit about what the people look like, they just want to know if the show is good or not and worth giving a shot.

Last edited:

Artoris

Gold Member
I’m not saying that movie is good. It’s not at all. But the way people talk about something that’s mediocre and forgettable is strange. People talk about it like it’s bringing about the fall of Western civilisation.
There has been far worst stuff about in the resent years. It's sci-fi fantasy fans being protective of the genres as they have been under attack by people who are mostly not interested in them

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
GB 2016 heralded the start of the culture wars in movie fandom, around when everything stopped being fun online. There was an enormous gaf thread about it, with battle lines drawn up around a correct and incorrect position re: thinking the trailer looked good or not. Some of the cast did interviews talking about how only basement-dwelling incels were against the film, Milo Y. attacked Leslie Jones and got banned from Twitter, etc. etc. It became a huge clusterfuck and led to people taking extreme positions for or against it to signal their tribal affiliation.

ManaByte

Gold Member
GB 2016 heralded the start of the culture wars in movie fandom, around when everything stopped being fun online. There was an enormous gaf thread about it, with battle lines drawn up around a correct and incorrect position re: thinking the trailer looked good or not. Some of the cast did interviews talking about how only basement-dwelling incels were against the film, Milo Y. attacked Leslie Jones and got banned from Twitter, etc. etc. It became a huge clusterfuck and led to people taking extreme positions for or against it to signal their tribal affiliation.

It didn't help that the movie was nothing but a bunch of rejected SNL skits rescued from the recycle bin.

FunkMiller

It really was the first in an increasingly long line of filmmakers blaming the audience for their own poor work. That film was pretty awful, but instead of taking any kind of responsibility, they decided to blame the audience for not loving it. It created a precedent that Hollywood is still having trouble getting out from under. All they've really managed to do is give the incel twats a bigger audience, because of their own inadequacies. Which was always going to happen the second you start trying to blame the audience for the failure of a project. Horrible attitude.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
People are too human

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
There has been far worst stuff about in the resent years. It's sci-fi fantasy fans being protective of the genres as they have been under attack by people who are mostly not interested in them
visually effects are great, Khazaddum looked spectacular, if thats the most important thing then add 2 points to the score of the show , its your kinda thing grab your popcorn and get chatty with your viewing friends
but if you don't care about the visuals and lean on the actors,story, and writing to stand out, intrigue, politics, charisma..then its in trouble.. this aspect is bad ,take 2 off the score.
maybe it like Star Trek next gen..it's ok to good for now, but will be awesome by season 3.. just needs time..
They really have set the expecation that this should be as good as GOT Season 1 and compariable to Jacksons Lotr.... its not tho

Thaedolus

If you’re going to remake one of the best movies of all time, and my personal favorite, you best not miss.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Many people wrote “they are not feeling it”, “it doesn’t feel like Tolkien”. After getting a good nights sleep after the second episode, I think I know why. When Lotr came out in cinema, fans hated the first trailer. “That’s not how I imagined it!”, because they knew the story and the characters from reading the book (or watching the old cartoon movie). They already had the world mapped out in their brains, knew how Gollum would behave, how the Elves and humans would interact. Remember the shitstorm because of Arwen saving Frodo in the first movie? Imagine that today.

The fact that the series does not “connect” like the movies is your expectation - and that you don’t know what comes next. It’s thousands of years before the films that inspired the show, but it tries to do its own thing in a slower pace due to being a series. We’ve seen already around 2 hours, in FotR we would have been in Moria now and gotten a lot of fighting and suspense. That’s how movies and series work: One of them needs to fill the screentime rationally, the other one can do some side stories to fill up blank spots that we’ve never realized where there. Kind of why The Last Jedi felt more like a TV show with the sudden fuel problem that we’ve never heard of before.

A TV show of a known IP will always struggle with expectations, with what people thought it might be. Heck, the same goes for video games like Last of Us Part II.

Me for my part will give it a chance to stand on its own footing. Does it need to be another GoT? Hell no. Another LotR ripp off? Also no.

Sure it has it’s flaws. But only looking for them instead of trying to finally enjoy another ride into Middleearth is something I won’t do anymore.

Top Bottom