• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

lifa-cobex

I'm currently watching the making of TLOTR trilogy (all on youtube btw) and it's really helped me put the Rings of power into focus for me.
Their just doesn't feel like any love for the craft in the show. Watching the films, you can tell the actors bonded and it all elevated through passion. It was like the makers and actors were all on an adventure in their own right.
You get a real sense of depth.

Taking aside the shows weak story, continuity, actors etc etc.
It all feels so paper thin. It's all safe and by the by.
You can also sense the bean counters behind the camera.

Christ, i'm enjoying the making of the trilogy more than a brand new series.
I'd be quite interested to watch the making of rings of power just to see how everyone got on. If their was any sense of love for the project or if it was just "read script, next scene."

Edit** It reminds me of how Bungie made Halo and then 343 made their Halo.
Completely different mind sets.
One wanted to make this epic story and show you that master chief was a human with feelings. They wanted to make tournaments and make the game oh so pretty.
The other wanted to make a fun game where you the player are master chief. The players ended up making their own tournaments. They didn't put the cart before the horse.

One was received much better than the other...

Last edited:

Saber

What the hell is that fight choreography? Looks like a CW show. Can’t believe they spent a billion dollars and that’s the best they could do.

Its an offense to call that choreography. Power Ranger have choreography, even if its bad and silly at least was that way for a reason.
This is just like bunch of kids pretending to do awesome moves they saw in a film.

Cyberpunkd

I was committed to watching the whole season, but I'm jumping ship now. This show is terrible.
I bailed after the 4th episode, the show has no substance and LotR trilogy did better vistas and costumes 20 years ago.
Gil-Galad and Galadriel both rejected him for that very reason. They didn't trust him. However Celebrimbor was fooled, believing that he was a Maiar emissary of Aule.
Further proof Feanor lineage is thrash.

Ulysses 31

Can we all agree that this show is a BILLION dollar embezzlement scheme/tax write off for Amazon to build their own studio?

I see less and less of that $$$ on screen with each ep.

Durin scamming that table though....perfect :p
It's also great for memes.
Screenshot-2022-09-26-172119.png

Mato

It's biggest sin is just how dull it is. I think the only remaining point of interest is finding out who and where Sauron is. The pacing seems to be so fast and yet somehow nothing ever really changes.

Vaelka

I get that it’s design but they still look cheaply made!

Those Sauron fangirls or whatever they were called ( the Eminem chick and company ), it struck me in the trailer how cheap the metalwork on her looked.
I wondered if it was just the trailer but we saw them now and they legit look like cosplayers lol.

I mean I am not trying to shit on cosplayers, but even incredible cosplay still looks fake and obviously not real.
The metalwork and the other girls helmet genuinely looked like cosplay material and work.
It didn't look real at all.

The queen also wore some shirt spraypainted to look like chainmail too it's really obvious and stands out a lot.
To be fair, that's very common.
But it's common to save money, I don't think that's an excuse in this show.

Hari Seldon

I think a lot of you need to lay off the influencers, you sound like cult members with the hate on this show. Examinging screenshot stills? Hol-e-fuck that is 10/10 on the autistic scale.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think a lot of you need to lay off the influencers, you sound like cult members with the hate on this show. Examinging screenshot stills? Hol-e-fuck that is 10/10 on the autistic scale.
Are you mocking folks with neuro-atypical features? Might want to check your neuro-typical privilege for a second.

Ahhh, I'm just kidding. Those guys won't realize they are being made fun of anyway, they have no feelings like us normies, amiright!?! :p

But seriously, if there was EVER a show that ought to survive a frame by frame crawl looking for cutting corners, it's this one! Where is all that money going if NOT for impeccable costuming for the principal actors, quality CGI through-out, as many practical sets and effects as possible, stellar casting, well-polished scripts from quality writers, the best choreographers and stuntmen in the biz, etc?

Batiman

Banned
It's called hate watching, mate.

But even this is wearing that thin now. Think I might just watch the Charlie Hopkinson reaction videos.
It also gives me justification to trash talk the show with my friend/coworker who happens to like the show! He can’t say “but you haven’t watched the show”! 😂

Edit: We both happen to like HoD! 🤣

Pretty cringe.

Last edited:

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
there are aspects to the story telling that reminds me of the later seasons of lost.. like the breaks are on, and its a slow, slow trickle of mystery boxes with the least amount of payoff to keep dragging it out for the max seasons....
besides the CGI which is fantastic the rest of this feels cheaper then an HBO show like Rome.
Was anything ever confirmed how much amazon actually spent per episode?.. or are they conflating it out.. cuz it doesn't look like they spent more then a Show like Merlin or Legend of the Seekers on anything other then the CGI and licensing.

Kimahri

Banned
You're an idiot and an asshole.

An idiot for not getting that there are plenty of people out there who are artist and/or genuinely carea bout how things are made. The appendices for the lotr and hobbit movies were a success for a reason.

You're an asshole for partaking in this moronic mockery of autism. In my profession, I have worked closely with kids who have autism many times over many years.

This dumb notion you and many other asshats out there spout about it is some vile dehumanizing shit. More and more I see stupid kids who watch or read drivel like yours, and make autism jokes in front of autists.

Get bent.

Well you keep watching it. So it’s gotta like it somewhat no? When people don’t like a show they usually just don’t watch it.

I watch it because I care about Tolkien and because I want this show to be good. What you guys don't understand it that a lot of criticism comes from a place of care, not hate. The issue is that in today's narcissistic society, nobody wants to deal with criticism anymore, especially not super corporations who just want to churn out products to make money.

It's the fans who help up Tolkien's work all these decades by sharing his books with their children and children's children. Amazon now tries to capitalize on this, while sh*tting on the very same people who made LOTR the cultural icon that it is today.

If you tout the most expensive show ever, you're bound to be criticized for cutting corners like that. It's not about the copy-paste crowd alone, it's representative of how little care went into this, from the crappy choreography, cheap costumes and bad CGI to the inane writing, characterization and plot structure.

It is plain obvious that the people behind this show don't care, it's all artificial hype dictated by corporate committee. I would not care about the production quality if the show had soul, but it doesn't.
RoP is proof that money can't buy everything.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

If you tout the most expensive show ever, you're bound to be criticized for cutting corners like that. It's not about the copy-paste crowd alone, it's representative of how little care went into this, from the crappy choreography, cheap costumes and bad CGI to the inane writing, characterization and plot structure.

It is plain obvious that the people behind this show don't care, it's all artificial hype dictated by corporate committee. I would not care about the production quality if the show had soul, but it doesn't.
I honestly do not see what you are seeing in that it is lacking charm. The show has a ton of charm. The Harfoots are super charming, Elrond and Durin are great, the greek style architecture of Numenour, the lighting of Numenour (being that it is closer to Valinar than Middle Earth), all of the random callbacks to the lore (like talking about Elrond's dad, Faenor's hammer, etc.).

They have been changing lore due to the time compression that they are doing. But a lot of the big points and themes are correct. The one major inaccuracy is the mithril holding the light of Valar, but that I think has yet to be confirmed as initially Elrond didn't even believe it. But the light of the Valar is actually fading, but at a super slow pace. I can forgive the show runners for speeding this up to create some tension.

I'd say the only real big flaw of the show is that it doesn't have a very simple plot to follow yet. It is not stupidly easy to follow like "Which asshole is going to be the ̶C̶E̶O̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶W̶a̶y̶s̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶R̶o̶y̶C̶o̶ King of the Seven Kingdoms!"

Hari Seldon

What tension?
The "we need the forge done by spring or we are all going to turn into elvish ghosts" tension (i.e. the reason why they need the elvish rings). That is a real thing supported by lore, but there is no real near-term timeline by the spring lol.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The "we need the forge done by spring or we are all going to turn into elvish ghosts" tension (i.e. the reason why they need the elvish rings). That is a real thing supported by lore, but there is no real near-term timeline by the spring lol.
Have they clarified what Celebrimbors project actually is?

WE know that forge will eventually make the rings, but have they laid out that plan within the show? I thought he just wanted a supa big forge to make supa big things.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm not mocking autistic people, I'm mocking people doing autistic shit like examing a show they don't like frame by frame for little issues lmao. Like this is not well adjusted behavior, and if you guys were my kids I'd be chanign the wi-fi password because I suspect a lot of this is herd-behavior influenced via twatter or other social media. Any show ever made will fall apart in a frame-by-frame analysis.
You are literally on a gaming forum where they do that shit on gaming side, and always have done it. Nerds talk about and break down nerd shit, I know, shocker.

You should see car and sports forums, hell, I am sure some gammy's get into it on knitting forums.

Hari Seldon

Have they clarified what Celebrimbors project actually is?

WE know that forge will eventually make the rings, but have they laid out that plan within the show? I thought he just wanted a supa big forge to make supa big things.
Right now based off of episode 5 the goal of the forge is to create something that will prevent the light of the valar from fading from the elves in middle earth.

Batiman

Banned
I watch it because I care about Tolkien and because I want this show to be good. What you guys don't understand it that a lot of criticism comes from a place of care, not hate. The issue is that in today's narcissistic society, nobody wants to deal with criticism anymore, especially not super corporations who just want to churn out products to make money.

It's the fans who help up Tolkien's work all these decades by sharing his books with their children and children's children. Amazon now tries to capitalize on this, while sh*tting on the very same people who made LOTR the cultural icon that it is today.

Look at your post and tell me with a straight face that was constructive criticism. You were shitting on the show before the trailer even dropped

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

You are literally on a gaming forum where they do that shit on gaming side, and always have done it. Nerds talk about and break down nerd shit, I know, shocker.

You should see car and sports forums, hell, I am sure some gammy's get into it on knitting forums.
Ok you got me there lmao. I think this is all coming from social media influencers though. Not that you or anyone else should care about my opinion but I'd advise cutting people toxic enough who examine a weekly show frame-by-frame to generate outrage out of your social media life.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ok you got me there lmao. I think this is all coming from social media influencers though. Not that you or anyone else should care about my opinion but I'd advise cutting people toxic enough who examine a weekly show frame-by-frame to generate outrage out of your social media life.
I don't even watch or follow any of those types. Only show/movie review stuff I consume now, is RLM and ALT Shift X.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned

We all know this is going to suck and [IMG alt="ManaByte"]https://www.neogaf.com/data/avatars/s/1/1452.jpg?1652675399[/IMG]ManaByte is only here to shill.

That’s your post after a 2 second teaser. Why would anyone take your opinion serious after predicting your future. It’s the same 10 people in here shitting on the show that somehow knew it was going to be shit. Hard to take their opinion serious after that. Minds were made up way before the show dropped

jason10mm

Gold Member
We all know this is going to suck and [IMG alt="ManaByte"]https://www.neogaf.com/data/avatars/s/1/1452.jpg?1652675399[/IMG]ManaByte is only here to shill.

That’s your post after a 2 second teaser. Why would anyone take your opinion serious after predicting your future. It’s the same 10 people in here shitting on the show that somehow knew it was going to be shit. Hard to take their opinion serious after that. Minds were made up way before the show dropped
What, we couldn't see the evidence of the shows quality as it was rolled out and CORRECTLY predict the quality of the show? Come on, it wasn't hard to read the tea leaves on this one.

Make a "I love Rings of Power!" thread and I promise I won't show up and poop in it. But as it stands this is a discussion thread and the discussion is that this show kinda sucks.

Batiman

Banned
What, we couldn't see the evidence of the shows quality as it was rolled out and CORRECTLY predict the quality of the show? Come on, it wasn't hard to read the tea leaves on this one.

Make a "I love Rings of Power!" thread and I promise I won't show up and poop in it. But as it stands this is a discussion thread and the discussion is that this show kinda sucks.
Not really. The people that enjoy it aren’t coming into this thread. It’s the same 10-15 people shitting on it over and over but miraculously continuing to watch it. The same 10-15 people that somehow knew it was gonna be shit from a 2 second teaser. Can’t take those opinions seriously as their minds were obviously already made up. Go into that thread and you’ll know whos criticism has any merit

Hari Seldon

I find the show absolutely amazing and I'm not seeing these serious flaws that others are seeing. Could the show be tighter and have a more modern plot filled with tension and release cycles like every other show? Yes, but that would take away from its charm. The show runners have a ton of love for the IP and a lot of the callbacks are extremely well done.

FunkMiller

I would base it on a human from a rediscovered world, forced into conscription with the Astra Militarum. Follow them as they are exposed to the greater Warhammer universe.

Yep. That kind of thing. They should certainly have Dan Abnett write it. Nobody is better than him at making the 40k universe a feasible, believable thing.

Kimahri

Banned
I find the show absolutely amazing and I'm not seeing these serious flaws that others are seeing. Could the show be tighter and have a more modern plot filled with tension and release cycles like every other show? Yes, but that would take away from its charm. The show runners have a ton of love for the IP and a lot of the callbacks are extremely well done.
Just because you can't see things doesn't mean they're not there, or that people respond them only because of "social media influencers".

And to call people toxic for having an eye for detail that you don't... Just wow. Are nerd of the rings and the tolkien professor toxic too for obsessing over details, but being more positive towards the show than some others?

Or is it only when people who care deeply abouy something disagree with you?

FunkMiller

Feel free to make a thread dedicated to people who enjoy RoP if the negativity is an issue. Will be treated fairly. In this thread though we'll continue with open discussion.

Genuinely baffled by the levels of vitriol about this show.

It’s… okay. Not all that good, but not *that* bad, when you get right down to it. The story is going nowhere fast, and the characterisations are poor… but it’s not Netflix Resident Evil.

I swear, I could create a thread about whether the colour beige in nice or not, and it would descend into a slanging match.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Genuinely baffled by the levels of vitriol about this show.

It’s… okay. Not all that good, but not *that* bad, when you get right down to it. The story is going nowhere fast, and the characterisations are poor… but it’s not Netflix Resident Evil.

I swear, I could create a thread about whether the colour beige in nice or not, and it would descend into a slanging match.
Taupe is better than beige. But they do go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

Hari Seldon

Just because you can't see things doesn't mean they're not there, or that people respond them only because of "social media influencers".

And to call people toxic for having an eye for detail that you don't... Just wow. Are nerd of the rings and the tolkien professor toxic too for obsessing over details, but being more positive towards the show than some others?

Or is it only when people who care deeply abouy something disagree with you?
Do you disagree with me from your own thoughts or are you a muppet parroting what others are saying? Provide me criticism from your own brain and not screenshots you took from twitter.

Kimahri

Banned
Do you disagree with me from your own thoughts or are you a muppet parroting what others are saying? Provide me criticism from your own brain and not screenshots you took from twitter.
What is the matter with you? I don't even have a twitter and I've seen maybe one youtube video about rop by film threat.

What is your problem? Seriously? Is it so hard for you to fathom that people disagree with you?

I'm not gonna entertain your bullshit by making a list. I've made my objections pretty damn clear after every episode, so if you gave a shit about my opinions (which yes, are mine, I'm able to think for myself) you can just go and read those.

Now, based on your constant antagonizing nonsense I'm just gonna assume you're a troll with nothing better to do than attack people for the hell of it. Have fun with that.

Hari Seldon

It's out of this world. I just can't understand the mindset of someone who enjoys something this trashy and then gets mad that other people have some standards.

My favorite Tolkien quote.
I simply do not think it is trashy, I think it is excellent. I'm deeply curious as to why so many people HATE this show. I mean HATE. I have never seen people hate a show like this. I think it is all from social media manufactured outrage, but perhaps I'm wrong. But something this manufactured and unnatural likely has some machine learning algorithm backing (aka youtubers and twitters getting a ton of juice from hating on this show).

Alex11

The only thing related to LOTR/Tolkien universe that I follow is this channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/NerdoftheRings

I was really hyped for this show, I didn't even knew it was a sure thing until the teaser earlier this year.
I just don't like some things about the show, I don't like how it changes so much the characters and the world and I don't like the actress of Galadriel, she seems so wooden.

But God almighty, to be called autistic and this and that because we criticize a thing that we like, it just in poor taste to say the least, I think you have a serious problem, for the life of me I can't understand why, but you are criticizing our critiques of this show, this does not make any sense to me. You like the show and see it flawless, fine by me, I'm not judging you or calling you names.

And of course I will still watch it, is there another show based on the second age in Tolkien universe? I don't think it's trash and have hopes that it can get better from season 2.

Hari Seldon

What is the matter with you? I don't even have a twitter and I've seen maybe one youtube video about rop by film threat.

What is your problem? Seriously? Is it so hard for you to fathom that people disagree with you?

I'm not gonna entertain your bullshit by making a list. I've made my objections pretty damn clear after every episode, so if you gave a shit about my opinions (which yes, are mine, I'm able to think for myself) you can just go and read those.

Now, based on your constant antagonizing nonsense I'm just gonna assume you're a troll with nothing better to do than attack people for the hell of it. Have fun with that.
ok

Hari Seldon

The only thing related to LOTR/Tolkien universe that I follow is this channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/NerdoftheRings

I was really hyped for this show, I didn't even knew it was a sure thing until the teaser earlier this year.
I just don't like some things about the show, I don't like how it changes so much the characters and the world and I don't like the actress of Galadriel, she seems so wooden.

But God almighty, to be called autistic and this and that because we criticize a thing that we like, it just in poor taste to say the least, I think you have a serious problem, for the life of me I can't understand why, but you are criticizing our critiques of this show, this does not make any sense to me. You like the show and see it flawless, fine by me, I'm not judging you or calling you names.

And of course I will still watch it, is there another show based on the second age in Tolkien universe? I don't think it's trash and have hopes that it can get better from season 2.
I am simply curious as to why people hate this show at a level where people are going through it frame-by-frame looking for flaws. That strikes me as very unnatural and highly destructive behavior and I find it interesting at a psychological level, beyond even this show. My theory is that there are algorithms behind this, but I could be wrong.

(For the record, I didn't mean to actually insult anyone on this forum, if I did I apologize. I was commenting on the specific behavior being highly autistic. Perhaps this is the wrong word, but I literally call myself autistic when I do shit like change every single tab to a space whenever I get someone else's code. I meant this is a funny commentary on very abnormal behavior and perhaps it came across too harshly.)

Last edited:
I simply do not think it is trashy, I think it is excellent. I'm deeply curious as to why so many people HATE this show. I mean HATE. I have never seen people hate a show like this. I think it is all from social media manufactured outrage, but perhaps I'm wrong. But something this manufactured and unnatural likely has some machine learning algorithm backing (aka youtubers and twitters getting a ton of juice from hating on this show).
Honestly, it's just a matter of you having absolutely no taste or standards.

This "show" is the most anti-Tolkien thing imaginable, it's bad fan faction written by people that don't even seem to like the original material (going by how they go out of their way to change and replace pretty much everything except a couple of names).

What a big surprise that the story written by these nobodies doesn't have a fraction of the quality that we see in the works of Tolkien...

We hate it because it's vile, because it's a corruption of something beautiful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom