• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

Hardensoul

Btw, don’t go on the Rings of Power subreddit. Not only a hive mind but a bunch of retarded threads which distort what Tolkien has written to fit their narrative that this show is faithful to Tolkien. Like the fact that orcs cannot stand in the sun in RoP.
Galadriel being a warrior is already proof it's not faithful! :pie_lcry:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Btw, don’t go on the Rings of Power subreddit. Not only a hive mind but a bunch of retarded threads which distort what Tolkien has written to fit their narrative that this show is faithful to Tolkien. Like the fact that orcs cannot stand in the sun in RoP.
Eh, I'd rather that then how the PJ movies were inconsistent with it. Tons of lines about how Orcs can't be out in the sun, yet a few scenes later and normal orcs are running around in day light

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Eh, I'd rather that then how the PJ movies were inconsistent with it. Tons of lines about how Orcs can't be out in the sun, yet a few scenes later and normal orcs are running around in day light
I thought only the UriKia of could run around. Saruman had special daytime orcs.

pramod

Banned
This episode was pretty good. There was a dumb line about needing to "sometimes we must touch the darkness before we feel the light".

Galadriel fighting all the guards was fun. But they really seemed to be going at it hard for what was practice.

Elrond though won't tell the king about Mithril, but Celebrembor......he can know everything, and here is the piece my friend gave me.
Gil-galad... supposedly the wisest oldest elf of all....seems incapable of simply figuring out the answer himself just by what Elrond cant tell him rather than by what he can. What kind of people are writing these scenes?

"So did they find the mithril?"

"Sorry i swore an oath. I cannot say."

"So they did find it?"

"Sorry. I cannot tell you that they found it"

"Curses!"

Last edited:

Alex11

Gil-galad... supposedly the wisest oldest elf of all....seems incapable of simply figuring out the answer himself just by what Elrond cant tell him rather than by what he can. What kind of people are writing these scenes?

"So did they find the mithril?"

"Sorry i swore an oath. I cannot say."

"So they did find it?"

"Sorry. I cannot tell you if they found it or not."

"Curses!"
Forgot this exchange, don't know how, but man, I was like, do you really need it spelled out for you Gily boy, Elrond was basically shaking his head in approval whilst saying no, so dumb and funny.

Last edited:

Alex11

Yeah, I took a peak there and this show is treated like it's the second coming, God forbid to point out an obvious flaw, it's just a weird place.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Man, to think I gave this show a rating of 3/5 after episode 3.

I'm now at the point in which I realize the only reason I am still watching it is to see Middle Earth and its various easter eggs (for example - those were neek breekers or whatever Sam called them from the book when they were in the swamp, right?).
  • Too many characters are simply unlikeable or astonishingly uninteresting
  • Everything is moving at such a glacial pace. I mean after everything that happened last episode they still spent this entire one leaving Numenor. Like I said DAMN, are the writers seriously flagrantly padding things out this much? Do they respect their viewers so little?
  • The drama feels so small stakes, petty, and ultimately meaningless compared to the drama of the films and practically every other decent-to-good show out right now. The conflicts between characters at most times don't feel genuine in their manufacture. Like, this isn't how sentient beings tend to act, or why they feel certain emotions, or feel challenged, etc. The writing just all feels so amatuer
  • The mystery box writing for some characters, two in particular, feels out of place for this material, and frankly ancient as far as television writing is concerned. I feel like I am trapped back in 2005 watching some of these storylines. People put this writing fad behind them a decade ago and honestly I have no idea why these writers thought people wanted that trite shit for a Lord of the Rings show
  • The score feels like it's getting worse. It's probably just because it's so dull and lifeless that the more one is exposed to it, the worse it seems
At least it still looks gorgeous. I guess. I lowered my rating on Amazon to 2/5. And after this episode I think I might be being a little gracious there.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It's bad characterization that leads to bad writing. Sometimes it seems like the writers just chose a bad persona for the character and that leads them to write everything to that persona (like Karenladriel). Or sometime they even betray their own persona for the harfoots—no body walks alone and then "let's leave them behind nonsense.

Then there are characters that don't make any sense, like everything that happens in the southlands.

Also last episode with that table thing was just awful. Gil-Galad should have known the dwarf was lying.

It's just as badly written as "The wheel of time", but has higher production values.

Wildebeest

Apparently, the showrunners are "bad robot" creatures who are best known for writing the Star Trek script, which was rewritten by Simon Pegg after Paramount decided they hated it. The only other semi interesting information I found out about them is that they are very proud of being Mormons and made a Mormon religious film. It is amazing to me that this billion dollar project was given to people who have a storied career of mediocrity or outright high profile failures, and they don't really seem to have any real cultural affinity for the source material.

Bragr

Banned
The dislike for the show is just beginning, they are rewriting major events around Numenor and Sauron in a way that would be comparable to rewriting Frodo not being the ring carrier or rewriting the ents into trolls or something.

In the next few episodes, the show will likely alienate itself from The Lord of the Rings fans in a way that can never be repaired.

FunkMiller

The Numenorians are supposed to make Gondor and Rohan seem like pussies, they are the ubermensch incarnate, they are not a few kids at the dock trying to get a spot on a ship, they are supposed to be hardcore warriors. The potential missed here is endless.

This is how the Numenorians should be coming to Middle-earth, like gods coming to cleanse the lands of orc filth.

space-marines.gif

If Amazon bought the 40k IP, I would set fire to the whole planet.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I haven't watched any of this, but it seems like yet another large corporation has ruined their adaptation of yet another beloved franchise?

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I’ve seen the PJ movies multiple times and I don’t recall anyone ever saying that orcs can’t be out in the sun.

Two most noteable scenes are inRivendell when Gandalf is discussing stuff with Elrond. "Saruman's treachery runs far deeper then you know. He's bred orcs with Goblin men, which can move in open daylight."

There is another scene in the FotR extended edition where Celeborn warns Aragorn that strange Orcs are tracking them that are moving during the day.

Stuart360

What i want to know is why did this show cost a billion dollars whenit looks worse than the LOTR movies ,while having a $700mil larger budget.
I also would like to know why they only have the rights to a small portion of the '2nd age', where this show is set. Was a billion not enough to aqquire full rights?.

Kacho

Gold Member
If Amazon bought the 40k IP, I would set fire to the whole planet.

200w.gif

I haven't watched any of this, but it seems like yet another large corporation has ruined their adaptation of yet another beloved franchise?
Pretty much.

It’s very similar to how off Disney Star Wars feels. These companies think they can repurpose established franchises for a new audience while simultaneously satisfying the existing fanbase and it just doesn’t work.

The Rings of Power has other issues on top of that like fanfic writing and a limited pool of source material they can use. What we’re left with is this unsatisfying, generic fantasy show. What a waste of money.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
What i want to know is why did this show cost a billion dollars whenit looks worse than the LOTR movies ,while having a $700mil larger budget.
I also would like to know why they only have the rights to a small portion of the '2nd age', where this show is set. Was a billion not enough to aqquire full rights?.
Tolkien Estate refused to sell.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The Desoto thing sorts kinda applies here, a numenorean would dominate a southerner in a fight physically the way a Spaniard might through armor and steel. But I don't think the political situation the Spaniards could exploit exists in middle-earth, nor a disease wave softening up the area.

QSD

Just watched ep05, liked it a little less then ep04

- stuff is moving pretty slowly, get a move on Numenoreans
- Elrond & Durin most fun characters, Durin pilfering the table was a nice humorous touch, but how come Durin is not more pissed at his secret being out?
- for sure no room for horses on the numenorean ships, it's a bit like the old transformers cartoon where everyone fits into Astrotrain when the plot calls for it (but still weirder was the elvish boat in ep01 where everybody just fucking stands the whole way to valinor)
- there was a whole discussion last time about Galadriel not acting her age, in this episode at least they make it clear at a couple of points that elves are really slow learners!

Hopefully some more action next ep

reksveks

Episode 4: liked most of it except for the blunt xenophobia storyline/analogy.

Durin and Elrond was great, the dwarfs singing was good.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Found myself fast forwarding a lot this episode. Sad to say but I'm just bored...
I also don't like Galadriel, the character or the actress not sure, maybe both? She can do no wrong, self righteous condescending intense face gitthefuckouttahere 😆
She behaves like a spoiled teenager who got an Acura cake for her birthday instead of a Ferrari cake.

The Harfoots are also more evil than the Orcs.

One good thing this series did for me is making me want to watch the Peter Jackson trilogy again.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It's actually weird how Hollywood seems to buy and butcher every franchise they can get, but no Games Workshop movies so far.

That’s because they are incredibly protective of it, and won’t let anyone do anything without their complete oversight and say so on every aspect of an adaptation.

And fucking god bless them for it.

You’re not going to see a Pg-13 Eisenhorn or Blood Angel on Netflix any time soon 👏👏

(although the bad side of this is GW are absolute pricks when it comes to fan fiction).

Last edited:

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
The Mithrial conversation was so poorly handled. Terrible writing.

I'm not a writer but I feel like some version of this would have been infinitely better.

Why wouldn't Elrond tell Gil Galad he gave an oath of silence around the dwarven kindom, that to remain allies of the dwarven nations in their eyes he can answer no questions.
Gil Galad should have been wise enough to respect that.. he's not a bush league Diplomat, not betraying an Oath to a Dwarven Royal shouldn't be hard to work with.
Member berry the situation of Thorin Overhearing Elrond and Gandalf discussing the lonely mountain and Smaug. Gandalfs loyalty to the dwarfs mattered(Movie version ) they should have let Durin Hear Elrond refuse to break his Oath.
Perhaps the desperate nature of the thread forces Gil Galad to trust Durin and reveal what was at stake.. let Durin release Elrond from his Oath.. Their friendship and bond of Kinship would be cemented for the viewer.

Shrug I imaging some talented writers could come up with even better ways to handle the situation

House of dragon costs under 20 million per episode to make versus this at 50 million per episode. Having institutional knowledge of making a good show at a place like HBO seems to mean something after all. Versus just throwing money at something like Amazon did

Hoping Bear McCreary was too busy with gow ragnarok to give rop a good score because woof. If they hadnt promoted him, you would never know it was the same guy giving us this:

Ramin Djawadi must be laughing himself to another paycheck at hbo.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Hoping Bear McCreary was too busy with gow ragnarok to give rop a good score because woof. If they hadnt promoted him, you would never know it was the same guy giving us this:

Ramin Djawadi must be laughing himself to another paycheck at hbo.

Numenor theme is amazing. Khazad dum theme was amazing. Noris theme is amazing. Bear should be very proud of his work

That’s because they are incredibly protective of it, and won’t let anyone do anything without their complete oversight and say so on every aspect of an adaptation.

You’re not going to see a Pg-13 Eisenhorn or Blood Angel on Netflix any time soon 👏👏

(although the bad side of this is GW are absolute pricks when it comes to fan fiction).

I just don’t think they could do a Warhammer movie justice with how large and complex the universe is. Even if you just focus on something like the Horus Heresy, there is just a universe that is so massive in scope nad size that I don’t think a movie can do it justice. If anything we would need an HBO-style series.

Two most noteable scenes are inRivendell when Gandalf is discussing stuff with Elrond. "Saruman's treachery runs far deeper then you know. He's bred orcs with Goblin men, which can move in open daylight."

There is another scene in the FotR extended edition where Celeborn warns Aragorn that strange Orcs are tracking them that are moving during the day.
That not only does not mean that the orcs cannot be out in the sun, in the Two Towers, you do see orcs out in the sun. They just hate the sun.

I'm impressed that there is anyone still watching this garbage, one of the most offensive excuses for an adaptation I've ever see. Amazon should cancel this series and apologize.
To be fair, I had to watch the last episode in 3 sittings. We only watched it because we had some time to waste. We even stopped watching to watch Marry Me on the second sitting - and that movie was not on my watchlist.

Stitch

Gold Member

It’s a blessing if you ask me.

I love 30K/40K and don’t want it ruined. I’m already nervous about this Eisenhorn TV series.

There are some animated ones.
Yeah, they seem to have their own Streaming service with some animated stuff and live-action Eisenhorn series coming later.

They do like to churn out mediocre videogames though :p

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I’ve seen the PJ movies multiple times and I don’t recall anyone ever saying that orcs can’t be out in the sun.

Unlike the typical orcs bred by Morgoth/Sauron, Saruman's breed of orcs, the Uruk-hai, could tolerate the sun relatively unscathed. I think the typical orc/goblin could operate in sunlight, but it caused them huge discomfort and their effectiveness in the field would be reduced.

As for PJ's movies: I could have sworn that in Return of the King that Gandarf mentions to Pippin at Minas Tirith Sauron created a false darkness (smoke from Mount Doom?) so that his armies could move unimpeded against Gondor. I might be wrong and be mixing things up though.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wasn't the sun rising into the eyes of orcs a big factor for the success of the rohirrim charge (down that I'm plausibly steep hill) at Helms Deep?

I think there is "I don't like the sun" and "I am a vampire HURT by the sun", orcs are more on the former side, trolls the latter (as the sun turns them into stone).

Bragr

Banned
So here is one ship. Let's guess they can fit 50 guys on there. I don't know where the horses are gonna be stored, but maybe they can mangle some horses through the window in the back there and get maybe 4 horses in that cabin.

So three ships can possibly house 150 people and 12 horses.

Let's see if they follow this in the next episode.

JxmgWEM.jpg

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
They gave Galadriel the wrong story. They should have had her found Lorien and then being attacked by Adar and his orcs. Elrond should have been the one to somehow end up going to Numenor. He has a connection to the founder (his brother Elros) and can be used as connection from Elendil to Aragorn. They could have dealt with the dwarves having to be convinced that Sauron was a danger to every race by Gil-Galad.

Eh whatever. I am done giving this show much thought.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ep5 was all filler. I don't know that any of it was really necessary. But the mithril origin story was cool, though I don't know why the elves wouldn't just hire the dwarves to mine it, doesn't seem like such a stretch. Then unearthing the Balrog would be due to greed of elven gold versus just mithril ore.

I still think Halbrand is Sauron. Maybe he is trying to repent or just playing along. REALLY thought he was gonna get sexy time with Galadriel but nope, she is all business. I think I'm warming to her a bit, but while I recognize where they are coming from with her, being all driven and whatnot, i'd rather she was more manipulative from the start instead of a blunt instrument all this time that suddenly spikes her EQ in ep5.

The hooded white cloaks that uncover the Strangers impact crater are probably some cult of Sauron. I'm guessing they are going with the Maiar being wet clay, they could be good or evil depending on how they are shaped at arrival/birth. The harfoots "make him good".

Not sure why the villagers are holed up in that tower instead of beating feet to the nearest city. There MUST be more organization there or some way to alert the elves. Though we know to numenoreans will arrive to save the day no doubt.

Top Bottom