• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

Saber

DQHztTa.jpg
DSQ841m.jpg

Is LoR supposed to be family friendly?

Bragr

Banned
The positive reviews were early, and now the normal reviews are coming in.

The disparity in scores is dramatic, seems a lot of publications gave it an 8 because of the effects, and that might save it from total doom in terms of its score.

JCK75

The positive reviews were early, and now the normal reviews are coming in.

The disparity in scores is dramatic, seems a lot of publications gave it an 8 because of the effects, and that might save it from total doom in terms of its score.

Like WTF is going on? are people being paid to write these glowing reviews, is it just activism? or do they just not want to lose their early access to these things?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is LoR supposed to be family friendly?
I think so?

There is SO MUCH mixed messaging about this show. Comparisons to GoT obviously bring up gore and boobs. I recall early comments that RoP would have nudity. Obviously there would be fighting but I'd be happy with LOTR style bloodless (or at least artfully done spray) combat. Wheel of Time had nudity, thouygh it wasn't particualrly titillating. Even Halo style side-boob and da' buttocks is probably ok for an older kid show, I don't know that anything LOTR would really work for the pre-teen crowd. The D+ comparison to bland inoffensive ho-humness is probably pretty apt, I'm ok with a tone about at the level of Mando or Hawkeye. JUST MAKE IT FUN AND INTERESTING FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! The most common criticism I make these days is that shows are over-indulgent plodding messes of slow paced plot with endless scenes of characters mouthing nothing words to each other and looking like it's 3 separate films cut together.

JCK75

or could it be their opinion .. just a thought.

After some of the movies and shows over the last few years where we see these glowing reviews up front, then they turn out to be completely unwatchable dogshit with a user review that is lower than my shoe size.. maybe they should have opinions in a career that better suits them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
People who want nudity in LOTR have opinions that are irrelevant.
I'd agree with you on the surface but I'd say that up till now, LOTR also had VERY limited female/male interaction, aka romance. Keeping it focused on the almost all male Hobbit/Fellowship easily lends itself to a non-nudity environment. But if you start having lots of females with romance sub-plots and (presumably) sex, then in an adult themed show some nudity is kinda expected. Nothing feels more ridiculous (to me) than a show 100% aimed at adults, with themes and plots only adults would care about, a level of violence only adults should be exposed to, that then gets coy and garbs the women in burlap sacks during sex and puts them into sexual/nude situations but DOESN'T deliver. S2 of The Witcher was a good example of this. We are adults. an unclothed adult body is normal. This weird American puritan prudeness resurrected now on the left isn't helping.

RoP probably treats romance at about a 5th grade level, the political plotting is probably around the same. Sounds like the violence fluctuates a bit though.

Sigh. Entirely unsurprised. Saddened. But not surprised.

Welcome to the factory production line Mr Tolkien.

The LOTR cinematic universe awaits us I'm afraid.
In their endeavor to engage the broadest audience possible, they ended up with a bland and soulless product.

From the review:

The performances are serviceable but unremarkable, while the dialogue is particularly corny and inartful, with too many intoned monologues about the search for “the light” or the ever-vague nature of evil. The fate of many worlds hangs in the balance, but the uninspired opulence on screen spark in the imagination only visions of bills going up in smoke. Rarely has danger felt so dull.

If you try to appeal to everybody, you only end up appealing to nobody.

Oberstein

I don't think he was referring to the budget, but the faceless souless corporation behind it. The LOTR movies FEEL like an artistic expression from Jackson, despite their budget. I'm guessing this show lacks a singular vision to elevate it from a committee assemblage to a creative epic.
I'm guessing it's in the sense that Amazon is one of the biggest industrial powerhouses (in terms of the size of the company) on the planet.

Honestly, I don't necessarily see the connection. The companies that made and distributed LoTR and Hobbit were also huge and are also part of the industrial era... but that term is so vague. Because Amazon is even more gigantic? Ok and ? The series should be banned because of that? I'm fine with the series being criticized for good reasons, but this is ridiculous.

Well, now, good or bad, I'm tired of the reviews. It's time for everyone to see this show, to make up their own minds. If it sucks, I'll have no mercy, but if it's far from being the disaster announced on Youtube, then there are people who will have to answer for it...

Saber

Why most of you weirdos thinks that not being family friends equals to nudity, what in my post ever talked about this? I was talking about dark elements, people getting killed, blood, gore, etc.

Also post above talking as if fantasy is limited to not having mature content lol, it can have both.

Unless I watched a different film called LoR.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Why most of you weirdos thinks that not being family friends equals to nudity, what in my post ever talked about this? I was talking about dark elements, people getting killed, blood, gore, etc.

Unless I watched a different film called LoR.

Except for the extended edition of Five Armies, all six Jackson movies are PG-13. This show is TV-14, which is the equivalent of PG-13.

HoodWinked

Interesting that negative review came from WaPo of all places considering Bezos' ownership. Too bad that kind of journalistic integrity isn't present in the rest of the publication where it actually matters and not just a pointless streaming show.

RAÏSanÏa

The idea of a worldly fall and separation from a place of bliss as a compass for ideals, Valinor in Tolkien's mythology, doesn't seem capable of telling the modern stories of a 21st century educated audience whose advancing understanding of the world is contrary to that assumption. Not that this diminishes the original work, it's still enjoyable for fantastic set pieces and valuable for the way it collected a history of ancient beliefs formulated around the idea of a fall and return.

FunkMiller

The idea of a worldly fall and separation from a place of bliss as a compass for ideals, Valinor in Tolkien's mythology, doesn't seem capable of telling the modern stories of a 21st century educated audience whose advancing understanding of the world is contrary to that assumption. Not that this diminishes the original work, it's still enjoyable for fantastic set pieces and valuable for the way it collected a history of ancient beliefs formulated around the idea of a fall and return.

Given that one of Tolkien's main driving themes is the destruction of nature and the bucolic world, in favour of industry and modernity, you have to wonder what he'd feel about his work being adapted to feed the insatiable demand for product, by a global corporation seeking to sell subscriptions to their shopping service.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What sort of rubbish is this? Jackson made a sci-fi alien movie before, do tell how that legacy reflects in LotR.

He did a great job, point. No need to make it bigger than it was.
Find me a fantasy film that feels and looks like LOTR before Jackson. He and his team PERFECTED that particular dreamy look paired with a very lived in world. It was his vision for the size shifting POV, a lot of the emotional beats, all of it. He wrote it, imagined it, directed it, CREATED it. Those films owe an enormous amount to him that so many try to imitate without understanding. This is the fear of RoP.

And there are things in there you can find from his earlier works. Kinda like a Raimi film, there are little cues that tip his hand.

Ulysses 31

CHRISTOPHER STEVENS reviews The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power: No turkey, however bloated and stupid, could ever be big enough to convey the mesmerising awfulness of Amazon's billion dollar Tolkien epic​

• The budget for the project was a massive 'future-gambling' $1billion
  • It cost Amazon $250 million alone just to secure the rights to the prequel
  • Aside from Sir Lenny Henry, the only well-known star cast is Peter Mullan
  • Stevens says the script is cliche-laden, the acting is dire and the pace is laden

Trunx81

What I don’t understand in the critics is the emphasis on the language the series uses. “A red sun has risen” is also quite pathetic, but quoted nevertheless. Sure, it’s not from the books, but at least they tried.

And about no nudity, I wouldn’t have minded some Sauron sausage.

RAÏSanÏa

Given that one of Tolkien's main driving themes is the destruction of nature and the bucolic world, in favour of industry and modernity, you have to wonder what he'd feel about his work being adapted to feed the insatiable demand for product, by a global corporation seeking to sell subscriptions to their shopping service.
These are things that could be included in a fantasy epic that has a contrasting basis for the state of the world and character motivations. It would be interesting to see Tolkien represented as a character who is used to compare things like ecological and social issues from the standpoints of mythological divine righteousness against an understanding of the world from modern scientific method.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A lot of people are rooting for this to fail so badly. I’m glad I have no expectations whatsoever. I hope it’s great, the more great shows the better. And if I think it sucks, I won’t care that much I’m not a hardcore fan of the books.

VN1X

Banned
A lot of people are rooting for this to fail so badly. I’m glad I have no expectations whatsoever. I hope it’s great, the more great shows the better. And if I think it sucks, I won’t care that much I’m not a hardcore fan of the books.
Why do you think a lot of people are rooting for it to fail?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Probably because they feel that if a super large budget show like this fails, the obsession with forcing a “diverse cast” for the sake of it will be less common in future shows, because a show as big as this failing will send a message to future creators.

VN1X

Banned
Probably because they feel that if a super large budget show like this fails, the obsession with forcing a “diverse cast” for the sake of it will be less common in future shows, because a show as big as this failing will send a message to future creators.
Okay so you haven't lived entirely under a rock.

Now with all this in mind you are still hoping the show will be good? You'll just give the pandering the side eye or do you just don't care that you're basically watching propaganda wrapped in entertainment lol.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
To be honest, there are folks that just want a giant Corp that sniffs out small business and treats employees like robot to get a black eye.

There are folks that want an adaptation that doesn't look like the books to get a black eye as a lesson to others.

There are folks that see the gargantuan spend on this and wonder how many creatives COULD have been funded for years with that money to see blockbuster shows get a black eye to foster more small budget stuff.

It isn't an alt-right racist conspiracy, it's just a coming together, a fellowship if you will, of disparate forces temporarily united whilst trying to throw a little ring into a fuming trash fire volcano :p

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Okay so you haven't lived entirely under a rock.

Now with all this in mind you are still hoping the show will be good? You'll just give the pandering the side eye or do you just don't care that you're basically watching propaganda wrapped in entertainment lol.
It’s entertainment, I really don’t give a shit about the production of it. All I care about is the quality of the product.

Spaceman292

Banned
Ice Cube What GIF

The entire plot is about reclaiming the lonely mountain from Smaug. It’s a quest to defeat him. The same way LotR is a quest to defeat Sauron.
I think he's right honestly. Smaug falls into the same category as the goblins or the spiders. He's just another obstacle to overcome and not the main point of the story.

VN1X

Banned
It’s entertainment, I really don’t give a shit about the production of it. All I care about is the quality of the product.
Goebbels made some incredible films btw. Really well put together. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I mean obviously I'm going off on the extreme end but my God... Ignorance is bliss I suppose! But anyway you do you, I shall refrain from pissing on your parade any further.

FunkMiller

I think he's right honestly. Smaug falls into the same category as the goblins or the spiders. He's just another obstacle to overcome and not the main point of the story.

Again… the entire reason Bilbo goes with Gandalf and the dwarves - the inciting incident for the whole book - is to kill Smaug and reclaim the lonely mountain. Smaug is not just some incidental enemy. He is the principal adversary of The Hobbit, and the single driving force of the main narrative.

Top Bottom