• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

Lasha

By tangible, do you actually mean ‘physically present’? Because they‘re not necessarily the same thing.

Sauron is very much the tangible antagonist of Lord Of The Rings. Just because Aragorn doesn’t poke him up the arse with Anduril doesn’t mean he’s isn’t.

I've already explained why I think he isn't. Why do you think he is?

Hari Seldon

No one is saying anything about Don Lemon as an Elf or any of that other superficial skin-deep (ha!) stuff.

It's about the complete subversion of the work of Tolkien while injecting it with intersectional-feminist nonsense and current day politics. I don't even know where to begin with the amount of virtue signalling this show has already produced and it's not even out yet!
Well if they do that I will be pissed with you lol. I'm just not going to assume that they are based off of interviews here and there. I can tolerate a light touch of that kind of stuff if it makes sense in the story, so I shall see.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What mystifies me is the refusal to accept that there's a huge small "c" conservatism appeal about something like Tolkien's work. It was always "looking back" to a glorious mythological past, so trying to wedge in progressive social politics really goes against the grain at the most fundamental level.

It just makes me wonder, why bother?

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
the lord of the rings GIF

Hari Seldon

What mystifies me is the refusal to accept that there's a huge small "c" conservatism appeal about something like Tolkien's work. It was always "looking back" to a glorious mythological past, so trying to wedge in progressive social politics really goes against the grain at the most fundamental level.

It just makes me wonder, why bother?
True but what I don't get is people pissed at this show before they even have seen it, entirely based off of interviews with actors who are maybe projecting more woke themes onto their part than is actually in the final edited product. I will judge the show based on what is on the screen, not off-screen interviews and articles.

Ironbunny

True but what I don't get is people pissed at this show before they even have seen it, entirely based off of interviews with actors who are maybe projecting more woke themes onto their part than is actually in the final edited product. I will judge the show based on what is on the screen, not off-screen interviews and articles.

If you advertise something like this on a scale then they have certainly agreed on talking points. Then there are filmed trailers and other interviews and materials that have been tricled down a long the line before the release. Those have been chosen by the series makers. Of course you come to some conclusion following those and understandably so.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The issue is at this point in time, everyone in the business SHOULD be aware of how important perception is. And that being the case, steer away from or downplay such positions and attitudes that may be displeasing to the existing fanbase in the lead up to release. As much as anything the most divisive aspect is the sense that they are disinterested or outright hostile to the feelings of these people. They aren't trying to get more people onboard, it's more an overbearing attitude of "that's just how it is now!"

Its crazyness to try and trade on a proven success by flying in the face of a major part of its appeal.

Kimahri

Banned
Watching Chris Gore and pals discuss the show is probably the most enlightening stuff I've seen on it.

Makes me reconsider watching it tomorrow though. Boring with less appealing main character than captain marvel does not inspire trust.

Bragr

Banned
"I am the first dwarf of color."

There is a point where the interviews get too absurd.

Well, I cried on my rewatch of RotK when the " You bow to no one " line came. First time watching the trilogy without my dad. Tbd if Amazon is able to pull of even a modicum of the emotion I felt from that scene.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What is the best quality source to watch amazon prime? from the internet browser? the app in the microsoft store for pc or the app for the oled tv?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

What is the best quality source to watch amazon prime? from the internet browser? the app in the microsoft store for pc or the app for the oled tv?

OLED tv, I'd say. Prime can be really hit and miss with its quality, but I've never had an issue watching UHD stuff on my LG. Looks fabulous.

GymWolf

Gold Member
OLED tv, I'd say. Prime can be really hit and miss with its quality, but I've never had an issue watching UHD stuff on my LG. Looks fabulous.
When you say uhd you mean like 4k? does the oled app deliver 4k? on pc it never looked close to 4k tbh...

Maybe not everything on prime is 4k?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

When you say uhd you mean like 4k? does the oled app deliver 4k? on pc it never looked close to 4k tbh...

Maybe not everything on prime is 4k?

Yep. The Amazon app on my OLED goes to UHD 4k pretty much straight away. i find the app on other platforms can stick on 1080p for a while until it changes, or never even get there.

GreenAlien

Yep. The Amazon app on my OLED goes to UHD 4k pretty much straight away. i find the app on other platforms can stick on 1080p for a while until it changes, or never even get there.
Lucky you. For me (C1) it stays at HD for most stuff, even if it should be UHD. For original series UHD does tend to work, but with The Boys S3 I noticed that HD1080p looks better than UHD :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Oh damn, didn’t expect her to be so down on the first two.

I think she usually tends to be quite fair and honest.
I know it's sort of a meme to say but she's not '' anti-woke '' but she's also not a shill who obsessively take the '' woke '' position just to be opposite of the '' anti-woke ''.
She doesn't really involve herself with that and have opinions just for the sake of being on a specific side.

A lot of people will hold her review up and hijack it as a '' look at how right we were and how woke Amazon is go woke go broke '', and some will probably hold that against her too which is unfair.
I think it's her genuine views and I find she's usually pretty spot on.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I know it's sort of a meme to say but she's not '' anti-woke '' but she's also not a shill who obsessively take the '' woke '' position just to be opposite of the '' anti-woke ''.
She doesn't really involve herself with that and have opinions just for the sake of being on a specific side.

Except for when she was complaining about a DOG being "race bended".

Bragr

Banned
House of the Dragon is a much much better shown than a 68 so shows what reviewers know.
I do think it's a lot better than 68, but it's a weird show, and if you got to watch it early and consider it a bit, I can see opinions deteriorate. There are a lot of weird rushed scenes, bad effects, and time skips that come out of nowhere, and once the hype is over, it becomes more apparent how the directors fast-forward the drama because they were terrified it might suffer from the GoT opinions out there. Turns out they were wrong and could have made 4-5 episodes alone out of the first 2 episodes.

i was going to wait until after work to watch but it's 00:55 and i can't see myself getting back to sleep so fuck it i might as well just start watching it when it goes live at 2AM.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I do think it's a lot better than 68, but it's a weird show, and if you got to watch it early and consider it a bit, I can see opinions deteriorate. There are a lot of weird rushed scenes, bad effects, and time skips that come out of nowhere, and once the hype is over, it becomes more apparent how the directors fast-forward the drama because they were terrified it might suffer from the GoT opinions out there. Turns out they were wrong and could have made 4-5 episodes alone out of the first 2 episodes.
They need the time skips because the story they're telling takes place over 27 years.

Vaelka

Except for when she was complaining about a DOG being "race bended".

I mean I have no clue what you're referring to exactly.
People can have weird inconsistencies tho.

But overall she's clearly not the type of person who will make the typical '' anti-SJW '' videos probably more in the opposite direction.
But I've still seen her criticize a lot of shit movies movies regardless of politics.

I mean when it comes to Rings of Power who is an '' unbiased critic '' at this point?
I think she's about as close as you can get.

sol_bad

I have to wait another 11.5 hours for my wife to finish work.
:'(

I'll probably stay out of this thread until after I watch it.

Top Bottom