• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

Hari Seldon

Goebbels made some incredible films btw. Really well put together. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I mean obviously I'm going off on the extreme end but my God... Ignorance is bliss I suppose! But anyway you do you, I shall refrain from pissing on your parade any further.
I have an extremely low tolerance for propaganda but I haven't seen any yet in the previews. What examples do you provide? Just having a multi-racial cast is not propaganda if the actors are good. If the diversity causes the hiring of actors that are bad (half the cast of Foundation) or if the writers go out of their way to write propaganda (unnecessary Roe v Wade commentary in the pilot of HoTD, half of season 3 of For All Mankind) then I will agree. But it is too early to tell yet for this. Also it should be noted that Tolkien in general has really positive themes so a little bit of propaganda might be completely overshadowed by the positive themes of the rest of the show which is a fair tradeoff.

Trunx81

I have an extremely low tolerance for propaganda but I haven't seen any yet in the previews. What examples do you provide? Just having a multi-racial cast is not propaganda if the actors are good. If the diversity causes the hiring of actors that are bad (half the cast of Foundation) or if the writers go out of their way to write propaganda (unnecessary Roe v Wade commentary in the pilot of HoTD, half of season 3 of For All Mankind) then I will agree. But it is too early to tell yet for this. Also it should be noted that Tolkien in general has really positive themes so a little bit of propaganda might be completely overshadowed by the positive themes of the rest of the show which is a fair tradeoff.
Unless they give Sauron a blonde wig and he talks about the rings as the best deal ever, trust me. The 9 humans though - sad.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is there confirmation bias going on in here regarding reviews?
Sacha Baron Cohen Yes GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Ironbunny

This CANNOT be real. Tell me this isn't real

Nah I think this is from the advert shoot. The very first teaser was in a different league already. Say what you say about the pronunciation of mordor but I think they are doing it right here. Only Sauron said with the french troath fuckery. Elves used clean R. It actually sounds really finnish to me.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

New 'Lord of the Rings' series brings a female story to the forefront

Clark said her role as Galadriel gave her the opportunity to explore stunts that show off the power of her character behind the backdrop of a historically male-dominated society.

Co-executive producer Patrick McKay said Tolkien has had "some of the greatest female characters in literature" and Galadriel was one of the first characters the creators thought about for the new story.

"Gender just isn't the same in Middle-earth in that I'm playing a character who can physically take down any man around her," Clark said during an interview. "It was really interesting to try to embody someone with a huge amount of physical strength."

Trystan Gravelle who plays Pharazon shared the same sentiment and said he doesn't think there's anyone more "badass on this Earth than a woman."

giggity GIF

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
We are on the cusp of experiencing the stank for ourselves. But, in all seriousness, at least it's something for the entire family to watch.

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

Hey look, Rings of Power is better than House of Dragon.

MRm1AFv.jpg

EdtKKGI.jpg

OH EM GEEEEEEEEEEEEE
hahaha I get that you're trolling, but it seems most of the reviews highlighted the strength of ROP, which is visual & sound, which is not surprising as compared to HotD.
In terms of world-building, I expect the similarity which is slow world-building.

In the end, we have to compare the finished product with some adjustments vs the appendix + limited content from first age with invented characters quite frankly, not many would ask and have to invent stories. I mean, if you ask me whether I want to see One-Eyed Aemond or Arondir the lost Silvan Elf, I would choose the former. The weak marketing from ROP doesn't help either.

Not to mention GRRM still advised on the HotD, so that's a plus for the long term.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I seem to be one of the happy few here to still genuinely be looking forward to this.

I think most of us are looking forward to it ... and I'm hoping it will be good. I'm also keeping in mind that some shows take a while to find their footing and get going, so that will also temper my expectations as well.

Tams

I think most of us are looking forward to it ... and I'm hoping it will be good. I'm also keeping in mind that some shows take a while to find their footing and get going, so that will also temper my expectations as well.
I really don't think most of us are.

A fair few are being open to it, I'll give you that.

I'm not even going to bother watching it, and it's on one of the few streaming platforms I actually bother to subscribe to. Everything so far has suggested this is going to be woke shite.

Plus, it's being been run by two showrunners who have next to nothing to their names, and what they do is pretty shit too.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I'm not even going to bother watching it, and it's on one of the few streaming platforms I actually bother to subscribe to. Everything so far has suggested this is going to be woke shite.

Plus, it's being been run by two showrunners who have next to nothing to their names, and what they do is pretty shit too.

To be fair, it seems to be reviewing well with people whose opinions are a little more trustworthy than the opening shills who always get in early. I’m going to give it a go due to what looks like a decent reception.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Nerd of the rings gives hes review of the first two episodes. My views have aligned a lot with hes thoughts before so this gives me hope. Its a spoiler free.

I follow him too. His review gave me hope that it is at least enjoyable if I can let go of the lore-nerd chimp on my shoulder. It's not like it can get any worse than The Hobbit trilogy right?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Yep, given the shit that I've seen in the trailers and the marketing ... it's certainly a struggle trying to keep an open mind but I'm trying.

Lasha

I'd argue in any fantasy epic of this nature, a suitable antagonist is always required. Yes, I'm sure you can tell an effective small scale drama about the relationship between the elves and man, or a fascinating kitchen sink drama about hobbit politics... but if you're going to write a fantasy novel/tv show/ movie, you need a well fleshed out antagonist(s).

Lord of the Rings is an example of a good fantasy work without a tangible protagonist. Sauron never shows up in the books. The "eye of sauron" is a gestalt of his various spheres of influence. Sauron is basically an abstraction rather than an actual antagonist.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
If it turns out that this show is more marvel capeshit in a LoTR paint, I will be pissed. But that author hates Altered Carbon (season 1 was amazing) so his/her judgement is highly questionable.
I liked S1 of Altered Carbon a lot. I dropped S2 completely somewhere during the premiere though, I don't even remember why, but it takes a lot for me to drop a show so it must have been absolutely terrible :messenger_tears_of_joy:

jason10mm

Gold Member
"Gender just isn't the same in Middle-earth in that I'm playing a character who can physically take down any man around her," Clark said during an interview. "It was really interesting to try to embody someone with a huge amount of physical strength."
See, this sort of shit drives me nuts. It's so sexist but no one ever says anything. It's like saying "I'm playing a white basketball player that can beat any black player around me" or "I'm a British cook that can make a sauce better than the French chefs".

Honey, if you can only describe yourself as strong by talking about another group,....you ain't strong.

Bragr

Banned
Lord of the Rings is an example of a good fantasy work without a tangible protagonist. Sauron never shows up in the books. The "eye of sauron" is a gestalt of his various spheres of influence. Sauron is basically an abstraction rather than an actual antagonist.
The ring is the protagonist.

VN1X

Banned
No one is saying anything about Don Lemon as an Elf or any of that other superficial skin-deep (ha!) stuff.

It's about the complete subversion of the work of Tolkien while injecting it with intersectional-feminist nonsense and current day politics. I don't even know where to begin with the amount of virtue signalling this show has already produced and it's not even out yet!

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Firstly... antagonist, not protagonist.

Secondly, the book is called Lord Of The Rings.

Your basic argument is that a book that names itself after its antagonist, doesn't have an antagonist.

It's not the strongest argument ever made, to be honest.

Lasha

Firstly... antagonist, not protagonist.

Secondly, the book is called Lord Of The Rings.

Your basic argument is that a book that names itself after its antagonist, doesn't have an antagonist.

It's not the strongest argument ever made, to be honest.

If you couldn't read a few comments down to see that somebody else already made that comment then how can I trust that you actually read the books? I wrote that Sauron isn't a defined tangible antagonist. His physical form isn't even discussed except when Gollum acknowledged that Sauron only has four fingers. The main characters of the story (Sam and Frodo) complete their goal without being noticed by Sauron. What makes you think Sauron is tangible?

FunkMiller

If you couldn't read a few comments down to see that somebody else already made that comment then how can I trust that you actually read the books? I wrote that Sauron isn't a defined tangible antagonist. His physical form isn't even discussed except when Gollum acknowledged that Sauron only has four fingers. The main characters of the story (Sam and Frodo) complete their goal without being noticed by Sauron. What makes you think Sauron is tangible?

By tangible, do you actually mean ‘physically present’? Because they‘re not necessarily the same thing.

Sauron is very much the tangible antagonist of Lord Of The Rings. Just because Aragorn doesn’t poke him up the arse with Anduril doesn’t mean he’s isn’t.

Last edited:
Top Bottom