• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lost Cinematography of Blue Stinger (Video)

Hey everyone, if you didn't know, Blue Stinger for the Dreamcast had a radically different camera system between the Japanese and English versions. For the west, the fixed-camera angles were stripped out and this video goes over a bunch of the most extreme examples where we lost a significant artistic flare. Do you think it was a wise decision at the time for Activision to have the developers change the game's camera system? If you played both versions, which camera did you prefer? Is Blue Stinger a game you associate with having a bad camera? Hope you all enjoy!

This explains a lot. When I was younger I wondered why some of the magazine ads and preview video I saw for the game didn’t match with the final product.

For a while I thought that there were two different editions of the game, like what Capcom was known for doing.

This explains a lot. When I was younger I wondered why some of the magazine ads and preview video I saw for the game didn’t match with the final product.

For a while I thought that there were two different editions of the game, like what Capcom was known for doing.
With Capcom, are you just talking about the different difficulty balancing between the originals and western releases? I do like hearing about these differences between regions.

With Capcom, are you just talking about the different difficulty balancing between the originals and western releases? I do like hearing about these differences between regions.
I meant more how they used to make large, sweeping changes with new or second editions of their games, especially their fighting games. There are so many past stories of how a certain newer version of a capcom fighting game would save it from certain doom, because the community had stopped playing the original edition too quickly.

Or in more weird changes, they would add certain features to console editions that wasn't present in the arcade edition, like with MvC 2's Dreamcast version. It was the considered the definitive edition by many, even with the existence of the PS360 version.

I meant more how they used to make large, sweeping changes with new or second editions of their games, especially their fighting games. There are so many past stories of how a certain newer version of a capcom fighting game would save it from certain doom, because the community had stopped playing the original edition too quickly.

Or in more weird changes, they would add certain features to console editions that wasn't present in the arcade edition, like with MvC 2's Dreamcast version. It was the considered the definitive edition by many, even with the existence of the PS360 version.
Yeah, I could see it being some kinda re-release with a different camera, like Ninja Gaiden Black and MGS3. I also noticed while going through early magazine screenshots of Blue Stinger that the lighting was WAY darker in a lot of the areas. I wonder at what point they decided to lighten up the tone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom