• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Couldn't be possible for BioWare to let you "customize" the world before starting the game like in ME2?

Of course it would be more expensive but they could just try to minimize the effects of the decisions. Like if you chose Synthesis, just give everybody green tech eyes (shouldn't be troublesome, is just texture) and do some minor changes in dialogue.. something like that.

I think everyone becoming cyborgs would lead to quite a different future than the other endings. They should pick an ending and just go with it if they even bother caring about any of that.

So how's Halo 4 in terms of story/character? Because I heard the ME4's writer is gonna be the writer of Halo 4?

Never really interested in Halos.

It's alright. I enjoyed it, it had decent character writing but suffered from some pacing issues, and it relied really heavily on out-of-universe material (though that's unlikely to be an issue here).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nothing that would inspire confidence

It's alright. I enjoyed it, it had decent character writing but suffered from some pacing issues, and it relied really heavily on out-of-universe material (though that's unlikely to be an issue here).

Hmmmm.

Mac Walters will still be part of it.

I am still hugely annoyed by this guy because of how he destroyed the ending for Mass Effect 3. No, not destroyed, annihilated. At least Hudson was the person that made ME possible in the first place so he's got points for that.

Urgh.

Hmmmm.

I am still hugely annoyed by this guy because of how he destroyed the ending for Mass Effect 3. No, not destroyed, annihilated. At least Hudson was the person that made ME possible in the first place so he's got points for that.

Urgh.
ah, I was afraid someone would say this. so the wrong guy left bioware, huh?

By all accounts both Casey Hudson and Mac Walters were responsible for the ending.
oh well. i'm still getting the game no matter how much I am destined to dislike it or not. Me2 was too good of/too much of a favorite of mine to pass off future iterations of this series. dunno how confident i'll be in my liking of it though, but whatever. that'll remain to be seen.

prag16

Banned
Mac Walters will still be part of it.

I obviously already knew this, but every time I'm reminded, the reaction is visceral.

YcAQlkx.gif

prag16

Banned
surely he wouldn't dare do the same things again. I'm sure as far as the story and rpg elements go, there will be meticulous levels of care and scrutiny.

Sure. As we discussed several pages back, I actually loved ME3 despite the ending debacle.

Having Mac involved does the exact opposite of giving me warm and fuzzies. That's all.

RagingPhoenix

Neo Member
Yes. Not sure how they would convincingly hand-wave that one. No matter how far in the future they set it.

Just pretend the abomination never happened. I don't suppose there'd be any synthesismancers who'd be offended/pissed off with that

Or am I hopelessly wrong and there are many synthesis mancers around :/

Someone suggested going with green iris and couple of dialog changes for that..yeah right as if that solves everything.

Sure. As we discussed several pages back, I actually loved ME3 despite the ending debacle.

Having Mac involved does the exact opposite of giving me warm and fuzzies. That's all.
i'm sorry you feel that way man :( honestly. I know it affects you and the masses more since Me3 is generally considered a great game minus the ending.

it's a shame that there is that factor there keeping everyone's hopes a little less high than they want.

prag16

Banned
Just pretend the abomination never happened. I don't suppose there'd be any synthesismancers who'd be offended/pissed off with that

Or am I hopelessly wrong and there are many synthesis mancers around :/

Someone suggested going with green iris and couple of dialog changes for that..yeah right as if that solves everything.

Synthesis is a grotesque dumpster fire, and it's telling that Mac/Casey actually inexplicably considered that to be the "best" ending. -_- Couple of pseudointellectual hacks...

That said, yeah, amazingly some people defend synthesis as the best. I don't get it.

Synthesis is a grotesque dumpster fire, and it's telling that Mac/Casey actually inexplicably considered that to be the "best" ending. -_- Couple of pseudointellectual hacks...

That said, yeah, amazingly some people defend synthesis as the best. I don't get it.

I remember seeing threads on the bioware forum explaining that synthesis was the best option.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I remember seeing threads on the bioware forum explaining that synthesis was the best option.

I know right, who knew that the Reapers were right all along? Turns out the forced homogenization of all life in the Galaxy is the only way to achieve peace. You know, I think that Hitler guy might have been on to something all those centuries back...

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
There's no way that they can make ME4 a sequel without picking an ending, at least implicitly. The Extended Cut and the refusal ending saw to that. The only way to make it work would be to set the game 50,000 years in the future, with entirely new races, and no references at all to the old races (since all of them could have been exterminated) or to the Reapers (since, without a canonical ending, we have no idea what happened to them). That isn't going to happen. So either ME4 isn't a sequel, or this is PR nonsense.

I can't see how it would be a prequel with improved Mako and more futuristic looking armor for the N7 suits... so I'm going with quite a bit in the future, with a Keep like interface (DA:I for the uninitiated) to explain why all the different endings somehow landed us with the same starting universe. This will have to be done extremely well not to be shit, but if somehow pulled off right... could be amazing.

....or IT is real, and my life will be complete :D

I know right, who knew that the Reapers were right all along? Turns out the forced homogenization of all life in the Galaxy is the only way to achieve peace. You know, I think that Hitler guy might have been on to something all those centuries back...
it certainly didn't feel right seeing the reapers in the backgrounds of the synthesis extended cut dlc (and in the control as well?).

Maledict

My guess is they are scared of fan backlash after ME3, and don't want to commit themselves yet to any particular ending. So ME4 will be concurrent with ME3, in a different area of space (the path finder / arc concept) to put some space between the new games and the ending of Me3.

We'll find out the cannon ending in ME5, if it ever gets made, once they can see and test how the public reacts to ME4 and if it still sells.

He's Lead Writer for Dragon Age now, so probably not.

He is..? Oh wow, and Gaider is on the new IP. I missed that news - GAF threads move too quickly for me sometimes.

I'm actually happy there are a lot of new people working on the next Mass Effect. Fresh perspective and a clean slate might be just what's needed to steer the ship right.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

All the best part of Mass Effect 3 like the Genophage subplot wasn't written by him and the one thing, the ONE THING, he's responsible for he (well, him and Casey) fucked up badly.

That story about how they disregarded the input from all the other writers and basically wrote their own ending in seclusion boiled my blood. Urghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Yeap, it's fucked up how trillions of individuals don't get a say about Shepard turning their bodies into half-synthetic half-organic hybrids forcefully.

It's people who don't want to think beyond WHOOO HERE'S A MONTAGE OF EVERYONE HAPPY SO IT MUST BE A GOOD ENDING.

Plus the DLC... for me at least. The DLC elevates this game from mediocrity IMO.

Citadel is the true ending of ME3.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Citadel is the true ending of ME3.

The way I see it, Citadel+Leviathan+EC is such a different ME3 experience, I can't imagine a playthrough without them.

Citadel is bittersweet, and brings a humannity back to ME3 that was sorely lacking in vanilla form.... it's definitely mandatory for any serious ME3 playthrough.

ME3 did so many things right, it's a shame the vanilla state happened at all, if we got the Citadel+Leviathan+EC version from the start... well, we could of avoided gaming's biggest freak out since, ever.

Don't forget the breath, IT is the true start to ME4 (joking...well, kinda.. ;D)

prag16

Banned
The way I see it, Citadel+Leviathan+EC is such a different ME3 experience, I can't imagine a playthrough without them.

Yep. I'll throw Javik in there too. Essential. That one I did have from launch with my collector's edition. Definitely feels almost like a different game with all those included. It's really crappy that such two MAJOR aspects in terms of lore/impact were held back as DLC (From Ashes, Leviathan). Citadel was awesome, but it's something I can see making more sense as DLC.

I double dipped on the Wii U version when it was on blowout for like $7 last year. That included EC and Javik. But no Leviathan really hurt.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Yep. I'll throw Javik in there too. Essential. That one I did have from launch with my collector's edition. Definitely feels almost like a different game with all those included. It's really crappy that such two MAJOR aspects in terms of lore/impact were held back as DLC (From Ashes, Leviathan). Citadel was awesome, but it's something I can see making more sense as DLC.

I double dipped on the Wii U version when it was on blowout for like $7 last year. That included EC and Javik. But no Leviathan really hurt.

100% on the Javik front.. I actually forgot it was DLC it's so essential (I still can't believe it wasn't just included in all non-CE versions).

androvsky

Guess I'll ask again: are there serious technical problems with the PS3 version of the trilogy?
ME 3 chugs in certain spots to the point I wasn't sure I was getting through, especially the elevator attack in the citadel. 1 and 2 were quite playable, but certainly not perfect.

Ralemont

not me
Jesus Christ people enough with the Mac Walters bitching. The guy made one (big) mistake, it's time to let it go. There's no way the situation will repeat itself and writers often improve with experience.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jesus Christ people enough with the Mac Walters bitching. The guy made one (big) mistake, it's time to let it go. There's no way the situation will repeat itself and writers often improve with experience.

Acting like the ending was ME3's only problem. Or that he wasnt also behind the terrible main plot of ME2. Shit was saved by the crew members.

Ralemont

not me
Acting like the ending was ME3's only problem. Or that he wasnt also behind the terrible main plot of ME2. Shit was saved by the crew members.

Acting like everyone agrees what ME3's problems are.

He may have been behind ME2 or he may not have. With Drew leaving during development it's hard to say. I will say that nothing Drew has said since leaves me with the impression that he had any better ideas.

My guess is they are scared of fan backlash after ME3, and don't want to commit themselves yet to any particular ending. So ME4 will be concurrent with ME3, in a different area of space (the path finder / arc concept) to put some space between the new games and the ending of Me3.

We'll find out the cannon ending in ME5, if it ever gets made, once they can see and test how the public reacts to ME4 and if it still sells.
I don't think they're scared of backlash, I think it's a matter of how of they'll succumb to it. I remember before the EC, gamble was addressing IT, and he gave the biggest fucking copout answer they could say about it.

Plus the DLC... for me at least. The DLC elevates this game from mediocrity IMO.
i'm in the minority, the dlcs didn't do anything to make me like the game any better. other than Javik which shouldn't have been dlc in the first place (wasn't it on the disc?) I didn't like any of the dlcs.
It's people who don't want to think beyond WHOOO HERE'S A MONTAGE OF EVERYONE HAPPY SO IT MUST BE A GOOD ENDING.
tbh I don't remember if it was before or after extended cut dlc.

Citadel is bittersweet, and brings a humannity back to ME3 that was sorely lacking in vanilla form.... it's definitely mandatory for any serious ME3 playthrough.

ME3 did so many things right, it's a shame the vanilla state happened at all, if we got the Citadel+Leviathan+EC version from the start... well, we could of avoided gaming's biggest freak out since, ever.

Don't forget the breath, IT is the true start to ME4 (joking...well, kinda.. ;D)
I'm in the very minor minority for believing that Me3 most things wrong, but I won't get into that again. As for the
joke... it'd be the biggest HUH?? ever if they did go with IT for Me4, but it wouldn't make any sense given the fact that they said no shepard in Me4. And that the game itself isn't supposed to be called Me4.

It's funny we're discussing this right on the heels of a quote from a BioWare producer that says there is no canon ending. Guess we'll find out how true that is in time.

Having said that, I believe / hope ME4 will sidestep the ending controversy the best it can. Not 100% certain of course, Dragon Age Inquisition did double down on some Dragon Age II narrative stuff so sometimes artistic vision prevails over audience backlash. Some BioWare alumni, like Waters, seem really invested in the direction that ME3 took.

It's funny we're discussing this right on the heels of a quote from a BioWare producer that says there is no canon ending. Guess we'll find out how true that is in time.
if anything, I feel like it makes the guessing game for us that much more challenging, or open ended. although the open ended-ness could also lead to either much more surprise, or disappointment.

So how's Halo 4 in terms of story/character? Because I heard the ME4's writer is gonna be the writer of Halo 4?

Never really interested in Halos.
I love Halo, and it was nothing I'd call "bad", but it wasn't exactly 'standout' either.

In terms of story, it was an average plot, pacing felt fine, but I will commend Halo 4 in terms of characters. The writing really gave a lot of life to the Master Chief and Cortana, far more than any of the prior Halos. The writing definitely helped them express the most emotion in the whole saga, so that's a huge plus for me. The script, while nothing memorable really, did feel the most...'mature' compared to the rest of the games.

televator

i'm in the minority, the dlcs didn't do anything to make me like the game any better. other than Javik which shouldn't have been dlc in the first place (wasn't it on the disc?) I didn't like any of the dlcs.
tbh I don't remember if it was before or after extended cut dlc.

I'm in the very minor minority for believing that Me3 most things wrong, but I won't get into that again. As for the
joke... it'd be the biggest HUH?? ever if they did go with IT for Me4, but it wouldn't make any sense given the fact that they said no shepard in Me4. And that the game itself isn't supposed to be called Me4.

Well the DLCs addressed several issues that people criticized the game for like: pacing with the citadel DLC (ME3 was a consecutive series of corridor shooting galleries with no time for actual role play), characterization between Citadel and EC (ME3 portrayed characters who professed their deepest love and admiration for you and also their commitment to seeing this mission through no matter what... But then at the most important part of the game they'd hilariously turn around and forget about all that and run with their tails between their legs for the temporary safety of the Normandy), and better context on the broken logic of the Reapers (reaper logic is awful, but at least now there are characters like the Leviathon who question its validity and at the very least deem it unacceptable outright)

prag16

Banned
Reapers (reaper logic is awful, but at least now there are characters like the Leviathon who question its validity and at the very least deem it unacceptable outright)

Not to get into this for the thousandth time, but I hope you don't mean the yo dawg xzibit "built machines to kill you so that the machines don't kill you" garbage argument. That's an extremely shallow dismissal of the Reaper logic, and it's not an argument the Leviathans ever made that I can recall. From what I remember (and I might be fuzzy, it's been a couple years) the Leviathans were largely just pissed that the AI decided to exterminate them (and who wouldn't be).

Not a big deal at this point, but that xzibit meme jpg was posted so many damn times in early 2012, and almost always as if that was the final word on the argument. The endings were bad. But that's not why.

televator

Not to get into this for the thousandth time, but I hope you don't mean the yo dawg xzibit "built machines to kill you so that the machines don't kill you" garbage argument. That's an extremely shallow dismissal of the Reaper logic, and it's not an argument the Leviathans ever made that I can recall. From what I remember (and I might be fuzzy, it's been a couple years) the Leviathans were largely just pissed that the AI decided to exterminate them (and who wouldn't be).

Not a big deal at this point, but that xzibit meme jpg was posted so many damn times in early 2012, and almost always as if that was the final word on the argument. The endings were bad. But that's not why.

It's the their absoluteness that borders on faith and gravity of their solution that is garbage to me. From what I remember, Leviathan does indeed question it, but it's been a while for me too.

I'm very interested to hear your defence of the reaper's long term plan and goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom