• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
you know that's always been something I wondered. You know how we have blu ray players made by several different companies, yet any blu ray movie will work on any blu ray player. but any multiplat game will not work on any console; the games have to be made specifically for the platform. Just coz I don't know innards of these things I wonder why multiplat games don't need the console banner (Ps4/Xbone/Ps3/Ps4) on them and can just work on any console made for that gen. PC I can understand because there's another disc that usually is accompanied for installation, yeah?

I have never seen such poor grammar on neogaf. It's comments like this why I (and many others in other threads) give you a hard time. It's because a lot of the time you make no damn sense and just seem to pull things outta your ass. I have no idea how old you are or what your knowledge is, but this quote up here makes it hard for me to take you seriously. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but help you understand.

Is it really hard to understand why a bluray will play on multiple bluray players, but multiplat games will only play on one console?

I can't believe I am answering this question, but here goes:

Bluray players all share the same basic software and specifications that enable them to read the disc. Not to mention the amount of processing power required to read a bluray is not a fraction of the amount needed to run a game. Different manufacturers still have to follow basic guidelines. That's why the Bluray Disc Association exists so the guidelines and rules can be set for manufacturers to follow. However, bluray player manufacturers are free to add in different things to set their player apart. Comparing bluray players is like comparing cars. Every car is going to be capable of getting you from point A to point B, but all cars differ.

As for your comment about multiplat games being playable on multiple systems, I don't even know where to start. Game consoles are VERY different. They have different hardware on the inside and are run by different software. PS3 and 360 are as different an architecture as you can get. While the PS4 and X1 architectures are many times closer to eachother than the 360 and PS3 were, there are still many major differences to account for. I can safely say with 100% certainty that you will NEVER see a game/software that can be run on both consoles. Even if such a thing were possible there would also be major issues in regards to royalties.

Patryn

you know that's always been something I wondered. You know how we have blu ray players made by several different companies, yet any blu ray movie will work on any blu ray player. but any multiplat game will not work on any console; the games have to be made specifically for the platform. Just coz I don't know innards of these things I wonder why multiplat games don't need the console banner (Ps4/Xbone/Ps3/Ps4) on them and can just work on any console made for that gen. PC I can understand because there's another disc that usually is accompanied for installation, yeah?

Don't compare Blu-Rays to games. It's like comparing apples to footballs.

Rather think of it like Mac vs. Windows, or iOS vs. Android. You can't run an android app on an iPhone or vice versa.

Lt-47

You said tlour added some better textures - if that's all they did while doing 1080/60fps, why is that too much to ask for a ME trilogy remastered?

Because they would have 3 games worth of textures to improve, for a remaster that won't even sell half as much as tlour ?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Interesting things on twitter from Gamble and Warner:

SiJXBqR.png

Is this because the ending pissed off so many that they don't want to build off an assumed ending?

I'm hoping they do a sequel, somehow integrate some form of player choice into the start to account for your choice (perhaps with a DA:I style online Keep) and move forward from there... somehow.

God damn, if it's a prequel or set in the same timeframe I'll be quite disappointed to be honest.... I want to see past the Reaper War, into Humanity's expansion into the... expanse.

Don't forget that I still have my widely-mocked Debbie Downer prediction of Q1 2017.

I'm with you mate, these Q1 predictions seem way too cray for me (although, of course, I would LOVE that!).

Q4 2016, November 7th for me all day, every day.

So many games get delayed to buggery lately, I wouldn't be surprised if this slips to your Q1 2017 prediction either.

I wish they'd say something about a remastered trilogy. Like, if it exists.

I'm pinning my Remaster hopes on E3, if it's not announced... I'm pulling the pin and starting another trilogy run :D

Felspawn

I'm pinning my Remaster hopes on E3, if it's not announced... I'm pulling the pin and starting another trilogy run :D

Yep i'm in a similar boat, i am jonesing for some ME...... but i prefer it on a console.. (why you cant play on the PC with a 360 controller without some BS 3rd party app i'll never understand) and dont have an Xbox anymore... and i tried playing ME3 on the PS3..... but man its horrible.

RagingPhoenix

Neo Member
That rumour about it being set in the same timeframe as trilogy isn't confirmed yet is it?

Would be an awful awful AWFUL decision if it were to happen

dr_rus

That rumour about it being set in the same timeframe as trilogy isn't confirmed yet is it?

Would be an awful awful AWFUL decision if it were to happen

I thought that they've confirmed it'll be a sequel meaning that it won't happen before or during the trilogy events.

I have never seen such poor grammar on neogaf. It's comments like this why I (and many others in other threads) give you a hard time. It's because a lot of the time you make no damn sense and just seem to pull things outta your ass. I have no idea how old you are or what your knowledge is, but this quote up here makes it hard for me to take you seriously. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but help you understand.
What's wrong with my grammar? And for the record, I don't care if you don't take me seriously or anyone else, but no one as of late has been treating me with animosity like the way you have. If you're truly not trying to be a jerk, try to wrap your head around the fact that I may not have the knowledge as the average person around here and that's why I'm asking genuine questions that may come off as ridiculous to you.
Is it really hard to understand why a bluray will play on multiple bluray players, but multiplat games will only play on one console?
It's not mind boggling, but I never really understood why.
I can't believe I am answering this question, but here goes:

Bluray players all share the same basic software and specifications that enable them to read the disc. Not to mention the amount of processing power required to read a bluray is not a fraction of the amount needed to run a game. Different manufacturers still have to follow basic guidelines. That's why the Bluray Disc Association exists so the guidelines and rules can be set for manufacturers to follow. However, bluray player manufacturers are free to add in different things to set their player apart. Comparing bluray players is like comparing cars. Every car is going to be capable of getting you from point A to point B, but all cars differ.

As for your comment about multiplat games being playable on multiple systems, I don't even know where to start. Game consoles are VERY different. They have different hardware on the inside and are run by different software. PS3 and 360 are as different an architecture as you can get. While the PS4 and X1 architectures are many times closer to eachother than the 360 and PS3 were, there are still many major differences to account for. I can safely say with 100% certainty that you will NEVER see a game/software that can be run on both consoles. Even if such a thing were possible there would also be major issues in regards to royalties.
I understand that console architectures but if the difference mattered that much, porting would be impossible.

Don't compare Blu-Rays to games. It's like comparing apples to footballs.

Rather think of it like Mac vs. Windows, or iOS vs. Android. You can't run an android app on an iPhone or vice versa.
I see, even though the apps are pretty much exactly the same on both phones.
Because they would have 3 games worth of textures to improve, for a remaster that won't even sell half as much as tlour ?
The ME series as a whole have sold 14+ million copies. I don't think sales is a reason for them to not improve textures for a remaster.
I would do this, but... I really would like to have it for current gen considering all the technical issues riddled within the Ps3 versions of the game.

The potato shots don't do it justice, unfortunately you can't see it now since the dashboard changed.
I can imagine it looked a lot better. Thinking back, I like how the xbox dashboard was much more personalized than the xmb for Ps3, which did have its fair share of personalization.

Patryn

It's not mind boggling, but I never really understood why.
I understand that console architectures but if the difference mattered that much, porting would be impossible.

I see, even though the apps are pretty much exactly the same on both phones.

You had the idea, and then you lost it.

The apps and the games may look the same on the surface, but under the covers they're totally different to account for both the different architecture and the OS running the game. It's like two different people wearing the same full-body Halloween costume. They look the same on the outside, but then they take them off and you can see their differences.

The instruction sets are totally different for both. PC games get around this problem by writing against the OS and graphics APIs like OpenGL and DirectX. The disadvantage to this is because everything has to be somewhat generic to support these APIs, you'll lose performance as opposed to coding directly to the metal (i.e. the hardware).

The consoles obviously have different OSes and different hardware. It's like trying to instruct a person in French when they only understand English.

Basically, you're asking why doesn't every book include every language possible. For one thing, it takes effort to translate the book into this other language. For another, the size of the book expands dramatically.

It's possible to translate, but it takes a little effort, and the end result will be a separate book.

Yep i'm in a similar boat, i am jonesing for some ME...... but i prefer it on a console.. (why you cant play on the PC with a 360 controller without some BS 3rd party app i'll never understand) and dont have an Xbox anymore... and i tried playing ME3 on the PS3..... but man its horrible.

What are the problems with ME3 on PS3? I originally played the trilogy on 360 but I was thinking about replaying the trilogy this summer. I only have a PS3/PS4 now though...

wolfhowwl

Banned
I'm perfectly fine with keeping the base universe and telling a completely different story.

We got very little time on the Citadel, Omega, or Illium and never really saw homeworlds outside of a war. There is still a lot to see so it would be a shame if we didn't get another chance to explore the setting.

It was a mistake to bunch up the original games over just a few years. I think a spinoff or standalone game would feel better if the events had been spaced out over a longer time period and didn't have an imminent invasion looming over it. They even killed Shepard in ME2 (lol), no reason they couldn't have had him stay dead for more than two years, maybe twenty or heck even two hundred.

My personal preference would still be some sort of sequel though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
They just can't make the Stars Wars prequel mistakes. We know how the story of Mass Effect 1-3 ends. Badly. There is nothing to be gained by having a prequel, a concurrently run series or to spend time revisiting the same handful of locations like The Citadel or Tattooine.

It's an infinite universe where they make the rules. Throw that shit 1000 years in the future and start from scratch. We can see how the universe has changed, how the races have evolved, etc. It'd be way better than a reheated pot of leftovers.

wolfhowwl

Banned
They just can't make the Stars Wars prequel mistakes. We know how the story of Mass Effect 1-3 ends. Badly. There is nothing to be gained by having a prequel, a concurrently run series or to spend time revisiting the same handful of locations like The Citadel or Tattooine.

It's an infinite universe where they make the rules. Throw that shit 1000 years in the future and start from scratch. We can see how the universe has changed, how the races have evolved, etc. It'd be way better than a reheated pot of leftovers.

There is a lot they can do even with twists on familiar locales let alone something like the Quarians getting their homeworld back.

The thing is they will be pissing people off no matter what they do. A sequel with a canon setting will anger some people over the choices chosen as well as those that don't want the ending acknowledged at all. A concurrent game will anger those that want a true sequel. A reboot will anger people that don't want the events of three games to be sent to the dust bin to avoid dealing with the ending. A prequel, well, lol.

A sequel does seem like the best option. While some people will be angry, you confront the story of the last game being a blunder, you don't run away from it, and have the upside of moving the franchise past it into the future. Some people will never let go of the ending but everyone else will be talking about the new game and where the franchise goes from there.

Choose a canon setting and run with it. The ending option with the least baggage, destroy, is also apparently the most popular one. 90% of players cured the genophage and a majority saved the Quarians. Their arcs are done but you don't have to handwave seeing them around or appearing in the party. If there are some "fans" that might actually not buy the next ME game if it is good because they don't get their fascist Shepalyst's dystopia or genocide of the Quarian race made permanent are they worth catering to? There was huge turnover of fans in the original trilogy as well.

If the game isn't good then it doesn't matter when it is set anyways.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

And you know this, how? This is yet another baseless comment.

Porting from PS3 to 360 and vice versa happened all the time and they were radically different architectures.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The apps and the games may look the same on the surface, but under the covers they're totally different to account for both the different architecture and the OS running the game. It's like two different people wearing the same full-body Halloween costume. They look the same on the outside, but then they take them off and you can see their differences.

The instruction sets are totally different for both. PC games get around this problem by writing against the OS and graphics APIs like OpenGL and DirectX. The disadvantage to this is because everything has to be somewhat generic to support these APIs, you'll lose performance as opposed to coding directly to the metal (i.e. the hardware).

The consoles obviously have different OSes and different hardware. It's like trying to instruct a person in French when they only understand English.

Basically, you're asking why doesn't every book include every language possible. For one thing, it takes effort to translate the book into this other language. For another, the size of the book expands dramatically.

It's possible to translate, but it takes a little effort, and the end result will be a separate book.

This response was much nicer than mine. I think will leave The Artisan alone..

prag16

Banned

There is a lot they can do even with twists on familiar locales let alone something like the Quarians getting their homeworld back.

The thing is they will be pissing people off no matter what they do. A sequel with a canon setting will anger some people over the choices chosen as well as those that don't want the ending acknowledged at all. A concurrent game will anger those that want a true sequel. A reboot will anger people that don't want the events of three games to be sent to the dust bin to avoid dealing with the ending. A prequel, well, lol.

A sequel does seem like the best option. While some people will be angry, you confront the story of the last game being a blunder, you don't run away from it, and have the upside of moving the franchise past it into the future. Some people will never let go of the ending but everyone else will be talking about the new game and where the franchise goes from there.

Choose a canon setting and run with it. The ending option with the least baggage, destroy, is also apparently the most popular one. 90% of players cured the genophage and a majority saved the Quarians. Their arcs are done but you don't have to handwave seeing them around or appearing in the party. If there are some "fans" that might actually not buy the next ME game if it is good because they don't get their fascist Shepalyst's dystopia or genocide of the Quarian race made permanent are they worth catering to? There was huge turnover of fans in the original trilogy as well.

If the game isn't good then it doesn't matter when it is set anyways.

But the recent tweet from Gamble implies they're NOT going to pick a canon and run with it. That's why I feel the "concurrent" theory gained a little steam with that tweet.

DOWN

Banned
The idea of concurrent is not one that sounds appealing to me.
They don't have much choice if they are insisting on not conflicting with the ending, but also not removing any of the aesthetics, races, weapons, and lore so that they can expand the existing universe. I really wouldn't mind them doing some rewritten history that outdoes the originals, like how Reach looks slicker than the original Halo games and has better tech in it, whether done as a sequel or not. I love me some artistic license when it opens things up for a stronger aesthetic and story.

What I'm gonna say is probably blasphemy, but I don't like much the design of most aliens. So I would be okay with a new entire reality with new races and lore.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They don't have much choice if they are insisting on not conflicting with the ending, but also not removing any of the aesthetics, races, weapons, and lore so that they can expand the existing universe. I really wouldn't mind them doing some rewritten history that outdoes the originals, like how Reach looks slicker than the original Halo games and has better tech in it, whether done as a sequel or not. I love me some artistic license when it opens things up for a stronger aesthetic and story.

They could set it so far into the future that they don't have to refer to the ending.

DOWN

Banned
They could set it so far into the future that they don't have to refer to the ending.
Yeah, that's what I was saying before when people said the ludicrous idea that they should include save imports, so I'm glad they've confirmed it is detached enough to not use imports. I want this to be standalone. I don't want to hear the names of the original squad mates at all, and Shepard maybe mentioned once max. This should have its own issues and not worry one bit about rachni, how the reaper threat was solved, etc.

But who knows how smart about this they'll be.

There's no way that they can make ME4 a sequel without picking an ending, at least implicitly. The Extended Cut and the refusal ending saw to that. The only way to make it work would be to set the game 50,000 years in the future, with entirely new races, and no references at all to the old races (since all of them could have been exterminated) or to the Reapers (since, without a canonical ending, we have no idea what happened to them). That isn't going to happen. So either ME4 isn't a sequel, or this is PR nonsense.

The End

After dinking around with the world state editor for DA:I, I'd love to be able to set a world state for Mass Effect and have it actually mean something.

Wiped out the rachni? No rachni in your game.

Made peace between the Geth and Quarians? They now live side by side in an integrated society.

Etc.

DOWN

Banned
After dinking around with the world state editor for DA:I, I'd love to be able to set a world state for Mass Effect and have it actually mean something.

Wiped out the rachni? No rachni in your game.

Made peace between the Geth and Quarians? They now live side by side in an integrated society.

Etc.
Ugh thats too specific. Why should Milky Way Shep stuff be in this at all? Rachni aren't some rampantly approachable species, nor are geth. Why should we expect quarians and geth to even be in the same room together? Just doesn't need to be so on the nose to indulge fan service at the cost of a cohesive and complete new atmosphere, concept, and setting.

Daemul

What I'm gonna say is probably blasphemy, but I don't like much the design of most aliens. So I would be okay with a new entire reality with new races and lore.

I would be fine with this. First stop would be fixing the biological trainwreck that are the Krogan. Extremely high breeding rate or an 1000+ year lifespan, choose one, they can't have both.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I would be fine with this. First stop would be fixing the biological trainwreck that are the Krogan. Extremely high breeding rate or an 1000+ year lifespan, choose one, they can't have both.

Frankly the stupidly long lifespan thing should play a much bigger role in those aliens perspective and culture than it actually does in game.

prag16

Banned
The idea of concurrent is not one that sounds appealing to me.

At first I absolutely didn't want concurrent. But I've sort of warmed up to the idea of being part of a special task force striking out into the unknown looking for some kind of safe haven to try to rekindle civilization while escaping notice by the Reapers in the event that the Reapers win. This would mean leaving the relay network, and might fit with the "different galaxy" rumors. You can have existing races on your team, maybe even encounter some lost cells of existing races, and of course, encounter a few NEW races. If handled well, this could be really good.

I'd still prefer an actual sequel; probably no need to canonize much other than canonizing NOT-synthesis depending on how it's exactly handled.

Wouldn't the synthesis ending still be a problem?
Yes. Not sure how they would convincingly hand-wave that one. No matter how far in the future they set it.

Couldn't be possible for BioWare to let you "customize" the world before starting the game like in ME2?

Of course it would be more expensive but they could just try to minimize the effects of the decisions. Like if you chose Synthesis, just give everybody green tech eyes (shouldn't be troublesome, is just texture) and do some minor changes in dialogue.. something like that.

And you know this, how? This is yet another baseless comment.

Porting from PS3 to 360 and vice versa happened all the time and they were radically different architectures.
another baseless comment?

what you said here is exactly what I've been saying. it's a known fact that the Ps3 was harder to develop for than the 360 since the cell was so different. However, if the difference was THAT unbridgeable than porting would've been impossible, but it wasn't. As much, the Ps3 and 360 ports of multiplat were sometimes quite different in some ways, but for the most part they were the same games.
This response was much nicer than mine. I think will leave The Artisan alone..
you do realize that we both want the same thing, right? i'm just as excited for a for a MET remaster as you are.
at first when I read this, this sounded like a reboot, but that would entail much much more.

I see. And if a game has a primary platform of development, there's certainly a cost that comes with porting, yeah?

This is the reason why when looking at video game software sales, the it is important to distinguish the sales the different ports of multiplat games. Because while they're the same product for the consoles, they're still technical not the exact same products.

We got very little time on the Citadel, Omega, or Illium and never really saw homeworlds outside of a war. There is still a lot to see so it would be a shame if we didn't get another chance to explore the setting.

It was a mistake to bunch up the original games over just a few years. I think a spinoff or standalone game would feel better if the events had been spaced out over a longer time period and didn't have an imminent invasion looming over it. They even killed Shepard in ME2 (lol), no reason they couldn't have had him stay dead for more than two years, maybe twenty or heck even two hundred.

My personal preference would still be some sort of sequel though.
They killed Shepard in ME2 so they could shock audiences with the initial teaser trailer.

I would prefer they go with Indoctrination, but instead of making any of the endings canon, make it so they were all an illusion and Shepard just slipped into a coma trying to combat it.

In regards to the Reapers, have the Galactic Alliance destroy most of them, while having a couple of them escape for future use. Timeline wise, i would prefer it be a few hundred years in the future, with the only surviving member of the old group being Liara. Then again, maybe this idea is horrible and everyone can disregard. :p

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
another baseless comment?

what you said here is exactly what I've been saying. it's a known fact that the Ps3 was harder to develop for than the 360 since the cell was so different. However, if the difference was THAT unbridgeable than porting would've been impossible, but it wasn't. As much, the Ps3 and 360 ports of multiplat were sometimes quite different in some ways, but for the most part they were the same games.

This illustrates that you do not understand much. Porting is NEVER impossible, except when you are trying to port to a weaker system (ala Windows 8.1 will never be able to be ported to a Tandy 2000). The EXTENT and amount of work required for porting is something that varies drastically on a case by case basis, but this "would've been impossible" comment proves that you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Porting is taking the assets of something that is designed to work on something and reworking it to work on something else. The magnitude and effort involved could be pretty considerable.

What I suspect you are referring to is emulation, where you have one system that mimics another system and requires several orders of processing power beyond what is being emulated. Emulation on the otherhand is not always possible.

This illustrates that you do not understand much. Porting is NEVER impossible, except when you are trying to port to a weaker system (ala Windows 8.1 will never be able to be ported to a Tandy 2000). The EXTENT and amount of work required for porting is something that varies drastically on a case by case basis, but this "would've been impossible" comment proves that you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Porting is taking the assets of something that is designed to work on something and reworking it to work on something else. The magnitude and effort involved could be pretty considerable.

What I suspect you are referring to is emulation, where you have one system that mimics another system and requires several orders of processing power beyond what is being emulated. Emulation on the otherhand is not always possible.
dude that's not at all what I've been saying... I'm emphasizing the fact that porting would be impossible in a world where the said hardwares to work ports on are just that different, but that THAT's never been or will be the case. I have not been disagreeing with you, I think you're misinterpreting my posts a bit.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So how's Halo 4 in terms of story/character? Because I heard the ME4's writer is gonna be the writer of Halo 4?

Never really interested in Halos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom