• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I never got around to getting all the ins and outs of Me1, what scar are you talking about?

With custom Shepards in ME1, you could put a scar on your face. You had many different choices. If all you did was playing with default Shepard... well yeah, i could understand why it didn't ring a bell.

So does Mass Effect 4 get a full reveal at E3 or does EA drag their feet for another year with this game?
my guess is yes full reveal this year, for a Q1 2016 release.

the remaster will probably be Q4 this year if it even exists.
With custom Shepards in ME1, you could put a scar on your face. You had many different choices. If all you did was playing with default Shepard... well yeah, i could understand why it didn't ring a bell.
I feel you man. I'm guessing if they do the remaster they'll either axe this or take it into consideration.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So does Mass Effect 4 get a full reveal at E3 or does EA drag their feet for another year with this game?

It'll be at E3 and be BioWare's big game. Otherwise BioWare doesn't really have much and would struggle to have a presence, other than (I assume) inevitable Inquisition DLC.

It'll be at E3 and be BioWare's big game. Otherwise BioWare doesn't really have much and would struggle to have a presence, other than (I assume) inevitable Inquisition DLC.
agreed. well, there's always a new IP, but then we probably would've been hearing tidbits about that beforehand. either way, yeah, this year's e3 will be Me4+ME trilogy

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If it is based on the PC version, then it's not desirable, it's disappointing. I'll still get it because I'm a diehard ME fan, but ND did a little work going on tlou going from Ps3 to Ps4. The graphics were updated at least a little bit. If they do at least that much the same for the ME trilogy, then hell yes I will be thrilled.

I often feel like I am talking to a wall, because you make no sense.

But lest try again, the PC versions of the ME trilogy are the definitive versions of the games. They look pretty damn good, they already have the highest Rez textures, except for maybe the first game, which could use a facelift in texture quality.

Also, you talk about all the work in going from PS3 TLOU to PS4 TLOU, but if you look at it more closely all that actually happened was that a 720p/30fps game was upgraded to 1080p/60fps with some higher resolution textures and better shadows, WHICH IS EXACTLY THE SAME BENEFIT YOU WOULD GET FROM USING THE PC ASSETS OF THE ME TRILOGY.

Now I suppose if the trilogy were ported to Current gen consoles, it might contain higher resolution textures, but I seriously doubt it since those would likely already be available on PC.

Using the PC assets would look quite a bit better than the PS3/360 versions.

Again, I don't know what more you could reasonably expect in terms of looks for the ME trilogy that wouldn't require massive amounts of work beyond the scope of what a port would require.

I often feel like I am talking to a wall, because you make no sense.

But lest try again, the PC versions of the ME trilogy are the definitive versions of the games. They look pretty damn good, they already have the highest Rez textures, except for maybe the first game, which could use a facelift in texture quality.

Also, you talk about all the work in going from PS3 TLOU to PS4 TLOU, but if you look at it more closely all that actually happened was that a 720p/30fps game was upgraded to 1080p/60fps with some higher resolution textures and better shadows, WHICH IS EXACTLY THE SAME BENEFIT YOU WOULD GET FROM USING THE PC ASSETS OF THE ME TRILOGY.

Now I suppose if the trilogy were ported to Current gen consoles, it might contain higher resolution textures, but I seriously doubt it since those would likely already be available on PC.

Using the PC assets would look quite a bit better than the PS3/360 versions.

Again, I don't know what more you could reasonably expect in terms of looks for the ME trilogy that wouldn't require massive amounts of work beyond the scope of what a port would require.
I often feel like you are vehemently against anything said in a non-positive light about ME, because you don't seem to want see how someone may think a little differently.

I know the PC versions of ME are the definitive versions, but putting them side by side with the console versions doesn't give away any substantial, distinguishable differences. The Ps3 version of the ME trilogy, for the most part, looks pretty much on par with the PC version. So if the Ps4 version will be based on the PC version, then the Ps4 version will look just like the Ps3 version with little to no noticeable differences.

That's not something that can be said about the Ps3 and 4 differences of tlou. But yes higher textures and a higher framerate would make for a considerable difference. What I was trying to say was the difference between the Ps4 and 3 versions of tlou are much more noticeable than the differences between the PC and console versions of ME.

we're not so different, you know. I'm just as excited about a remastered trilogy as you are.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think we'll get a trilogy port this year. Would be an interesting surprise, but I kinda expect Mass Effect 4 Q2 2016 and a port at the end of this followed by that seems too close. Then again, maybe ME4 is scheduled for well into 2016, like Q4. And maybe a trilogy port will be fairly quick and dirty, aimed mainly at console owners and not the PC crowd. Shouldn't be too hard to do that; take PC build, scrub up a few things, 1080p@60fps, three games, DLC, yadda yadda.

I just don't think they'll want to take steam away from Mass Effect 4, which will not only be the first Mass Effect for the current generation hardware, but also a bit of a new start for the franchise after the extremely mixed-to-negative press of the trilogy's ending. My impression is that even with time passed they won't want to risk muddying the franchise waters by fixating on the trilogy again when the fourth game will be so distant, even if just for the themes and characters people grew attached to.

Maybe BioWare and EA don't intend to do the whole "new trilogy" thing and are building Mass Effect 4, in its current form, as a bit of a stand alone project. Leaving room for a trilogy port later.

I don't think we'll get a trilogy port this year. Would be an interesting surprise, but I kinda expect Mass Effect 4 Q2 2016 and a port at the end of this followed by that seems too close. Then again, maybe ME4 is scheduled for well into 2016, like Q4. And maybe a trilogy port will be fairly quick and dirty, aimed mainly at console owners and not the PC crowd. Shouldn't be too hard to do that; take PC build, scrub up a few things, 1080p@60fps, three games, DLC, yadda yadda.

I just don't think they'll want to take steam away from Mass Effect 4, which will not only be the first Mass Effect for the current generation hardware, but also a bit of a new start for the franchise after the extremely mixed-to-negative press of the trilogy's ending. My impression is that even with time passed they won't want to risk muddying the franchise waters by fixating on the trilogy again when the fourth game will be so distant, even if just for the themes and characters people grew attached to.

Maybe BioWare and EA don't intend to do the whole "new trilogy" thing and are building Mass Effect 4, in its current form, as a bit of a stand alone project. Leaving room for a trilogy port later.
as johnnyfootball and I discussed, there was only a few months in between the gow collection and gow3, and the game still sold crazy when it came out.

anyways, how much of a rumor swirl was there of the halo remastered collection before it was mentioned by mS or unveiled at e3? if not much, then for all we know they have been working on a ME trilogy remaster all this time, only to announce it for release this thanksgiving/christmas.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
unless... they redo that dlc. was it bad? you say it is the "worst piece," and I don't know if you say that because it was glitchy, or if it just sucked.

your avy reminds me of barty crouch jr, btw.

It's very bad... it's like, well... I can't think of another DLC that is as bad :p haha.

It was just a bunch of simulated combat encounters with 0% story additions. The only good thing about it is the view from the command area when you first walk in, so if you can find that on YouTube, you will have experienced all it has to offer.

Here is a still:
553771-mass-effect-pinnacle-station-windows-screenshot-view-from.jpg

I was disappointed to see that your scar from ME1 was gone in ME2. Sure, it made sense since Cerberus "rebuilt" you, but i still missed my badass scar. The glowing ones from Renegade Shepard were too much, made you look like an evil cyborg.

This was my single biggest complaint (equal with the last boss dribble) of ME2, I loved my damn scar!

I think that with EC/Leviathan/Citadel included, the muddiest part of the water is mostly cleared... mostly.
I personally don't think we will see ME4 until well into 2016, Q2 seems too optimistic to this Eviscerator toting Kiwi Vanguard...

My personal predictions:

E3: ME Trilogy Remaster for Next-Gen/PC + ME4 teaser and official announcement to release on N7 day in both 2015/2016 respectively.

It's very bad... it's like, well... I can't think of another DLC that is as bad :p haha.

It was just a bunch of simulated combat encounters with 0% story additions. The only good thing about it is the view from the command area when you first walk in, so if you can find that on YouTube, you will have experienced all it has to offer.

Here is a still:
553771-mass-effect-pinnacle-station-windows-screenshot-view-from.jpg

This was my single biggest complaint (equal with the last boss dribble) of ME2, I loved my damn scar!

I think that with EC/Leviathan/Citadel included, the muddiest part of the water is mostly cleared... mostly.
I personally don't think we will see ME4 until well into 2016, Q2 seems too optimistic to this Eviscerator toting Kiwi Vanguard...

My personal predictions:

E3: ME Trilogy Remaster for Next-Gen/PC + ME4 teaser and official announcement to release on N7 day in both 2015/2016 respectively.
that is a pretty damn dope view. it's a shame I never got to play it on Ps3. ugh. do you think there's any hope they'll try to salvage it for a remaster?

and speaking of the remasters, so you think the ME trilogy if there is one will release on N7 this year (thumbs up to that) but that Me4 will be a whole year after that??? No way, sir. I think it'd be way more reasonable for a Q1 2016 release. March, to be exact.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
that is a pretty damn dope view. it's a shame I never got to play it on Ps3. ugh. do you think there's any hope they'll try to salvage it for a remaster?

and speaking of the remasters, so you think the ME trilogy if there is one will release on N7 this year (thumbs up to that) but that Me4 will be a whole year after that??? No way, sir. I think it'd be way more reasonable for a Q1 2016 release. March, to be exact.

It's bad content and not something that you should feel anything bad on missing out.

Repetitive, annoying, and focuses on Mass Effect 1's worst aspect which is its combat. The only thing remotely interesting is its last scenario battle--which is a simulated fight on the First Contact War--and the house with a nice interior that you can fully explore in the first 2 minutes coming in, although with it you can do...

That DLC was the only way I could get all the best armors and weapons for the whole crew in the game.

More easily, it is hardly required even for Insanity difficulty.

It's bad content and not something that you should feel anything bad on missing out.

Repetitive, annoying, and focuses on Mass Effect 1's worst aspect which is its combat. The only thing remotely interesting is its last scenario battle--which is a simulated fight on the First Contact War--and the house with a nice interior that you can fully explore in the first 2 minutes coming in, although with it you can do...

More easily, it is hardly required even for Insanity difficulty.
dat view doe. pretty much the only thing but yeah I don't care that much. it's not like i'm still playing the ME games these days. nothing really to draw me back to it since I platted Me2 and hate Me3. but as I asked the other guy, do you think they'll try to salvage it for a remaster?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

I want it in the oven for as long as it takes if it assures it will be as good as the original trilogy.

but as I asked the other guy, do you think they'll try to salvage it for a remaster?
I'd say its zero chance. It's the worst received DLC in the whole series, and they added a combat simulator in ME3 Citadel. I'm not sure how Pinnacle Station came to be in the first place. Bring Down the Sky was released shortly after ME1 released, so I'd bet that it was being worked on before ME1 came out. Pinnacle Station came out a long time after, I think in mid 2009, and it was developed by Demigure instead of BioWare. I would bet that they just wanted to put something out before ME2 released, to get back some mindshare for the series. Before ME1 was released, BioWare talked a lot about how they were going to have DLC to bridge the gap between the games, and a BioWare Dev confirmed there was at least one other DLC planned for ME1 (to take place on Caleston). I'm not sure why they scrapped it, could have had something to do with them being bought by EA.

I did kinda like Pinnacle Station. The apartment you get at the end is a pretty good reward.

I'd say its zero chance. It's the worst received DLC in the whole series, and they added a combat simulator in ME3 Citadel. I'm not sure how Pinnacle Station came to be in the first place. Bring Down the Sky was released shortly after ME1 released, so I'd bet that it was being worked on before ME1 came out. Pinnacle Station came out a long time after, I think in mid 2009, and it was developed by Demigure instead of BioWare. I would bet that they just wanted to put something out before ME2 released, to get back some mindshare for the series. Before ME1 was released, BioWare talked a lot about how they were going to have DLC to bridge the gap between the games, and a BioWare Dev confirmed there was at least one other DLC planned for ME1 (to take place on Caleston). I'm not sure why they scrapped it, could have had something to do with them being bought by EA.

I did kinda like Pinnacle Station. The apartment you get at the end is a pretty good reward.
that could explain why it fell apart and isn't available on Ps3.

I guess since I'm so curious... I could just watch a playthrough of it on YouTube if I so desired?

wolfhowwl

Banned

Sam Hulick posted some music he made for it on YouTube.

This is music I wrote for a DLC (downloadable content) for Mass Effect 1. However, BioWare ceased all work on the DLC and the music was never officially sold and used anywhere, so up on YouTube it goes!

I can't/won't say what the DLC was, as I'm not really allowed to talk about it. Not to mention they may revive something similar, plot-wise, for a Mass Effect 2 DLC. You never know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDDZhhboop8

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I guess since I'm so curious... I could just watch a playthrough of it on YouTube if I so desired?

You can, although calling playing through it as a "playthrough" is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too generous for me, hahaha. It has barely any story or relevance aside from a very slight reminder of it in ME3 (IIRC... or was it ME2...? I think it's ME3...)

Speaking of which, I did double dip ME Trilogy and all the DLCs on PS3 after having played all of them and its DLCs in Xbox360..... I should get on to that...

Patryn

There's barely any story in the thing. Seriously, here's about a four-line synopsis that almost literally encompasses the entire thing:

"RARR, I'm the best one here, Shepard! You can't beat my records!"
"Wahhhh, How did you beat my records?!?!"
"Wow, Shepard... you took down all our challenges so easily! Well, I do have an off-the-books challenge that you'll never beat!"
"I'm impressed that you beat my challenge, Shepard. Here's a reward!"

Other than that, it's just a lot of picking your combat challenge type and arena location, and then shooting a ton of enemies.

EatChildren

Pinnacle Station served to highlight how clumsy Mass Effect's combat was when confined to small, typical third person shooter-like arenas with no additional goals or focus. Comparatively, the better balance of Mass Effect 3 works well within Citadel's combat simulator.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I know the PC versions of ME are the definitive versions, but putting them side by side with the console versions doesn't give away any substantial, distinguishable differences. The Ps3 version of the ME trilogy, for the most part, looks pretty much on par with the PC version. So if the Ps4 version will be based on the PC version, then the Ps4 version will look just like the Ps3 version with little to no noticeable differences.

This tells me that you have clearly never seen the PC versions. They are quite a bit better than the PS3 versions. The PS3 runs at 720p (if that) and has frequent frame drops, but is around 30 fps.

The jump to 1080p/60fps is quite big as TLOU demonstrated.

Patryn

Pinnacle Station served to highlight how clumsy Mass Effect's combat was when confined to small, typical third person shooter-like arenas with no additional goals or focus. Comparatively, the better balance of Mass Effect 3 works well within Citadel's combat simulator.

It also proves how brain-dead the enemy AI is. Seriously, all the enemies just do their best zombie impression and rush you all the time.

And I'm saying this as a person who considers Mass Effect their favorite game of all time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
And maybe a trilogy port will be fairly quick and dirty, aimed mainly at console owners and not the PC crowd. Shouldn't be too hard to do that; take PC build, scrub up a few things, 1080p@60fps, three games, DLC, yadda yadda.

Yes, this is exactly what we should expect.

Yes, EA could go all out and give us something along the lines of Metro Redux where much of the gameplay is tweaked, but that is not reasonable.

A re-released trilogy can (pulling numbers out of my ass) probably sell between 100k - 1 million at the absolute best. I seriously doubt those numbers would change if they went all out giving it a Metro Redux/Halo MCC type overhaul.

EAs best bet is to port the games over to current gen systems using PC assets that prioritizes 1080p/60fps and ALL the DLC (minus Pinnacle Station). If higher resolution textures are possible then by all means.

I will say that I do hope the port is better than the crappy Saints Row IV and Sleeping Dogs ports we got. Too many bugs, lock ups and a mega inconsistent framerate.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This tells me that you have clearly never seen the PC versions. They are quite a bit better than the PS3 versions. The PS3 runs at 720p (if that) and has frequent frame drops, but is around 30 fps.

I never played the console versions, but i always thought the difference between the PC and console versions were only in the resolution and framerate(and well, keyboard/mouse only for PC).
The textures themselves are exactly the same, right? I mean, just looking at Chakwas blurry medic cloth in ME1 on PC in glorious 1080p was enough to make me go "wtf, did I chose the Low quality settings?" the first time I played.

Daemul

Pinnacle Station is a piece of shit. That fucking garbage was broken and corrupted all my ME1 saves, forcing me to reinstall the game and start all over again from scratch. Fuck it, it wasn't even good enough to make up for all the problems it caused me, thank fuck Bioware lots it's source files meaning that it will never be seen again. Being erased from existence is the fate that it deserves.

prag16

Banned
Man, you guys are buzzkills. Consensus keeps shifting back.. mid/late 2016 now... based on what? Lack of new info? :'( Were we ever really expecting a full reveal prior to E3 2015 at ANY point? That's still three months away..

DOWN

Banned
Man, you guys are buzzkills. Consensus keeps shifting back.. mid/late 2016 now... based on what? Lack of new info? :'( Were we ever really expecting a full reveal prior to E3 2015 at ANY point? That's still three months away..

The past two games were revealed in spring via Game Informer, for a release the following Q1. Around a year of marketing is almost a given, so no reveal until E3 2015 means release is likely closer to Q2 2016.

Patryn

Don't forget that I still have my widely-mocked Debbie Downer prediction of Q1 2017.

prag16

Banned
The past two games were revealed in spring via Game Informer, for a release the following Q1. Around a year of marketing is almost a given, so no reveal until E3 2015 means release is likely closer to Q2 2016.
Well, not too late for such a reveal this time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I never played the console versions, but i always thought the difference between the PC and console versions were only in the resolution and framerate(and well, keyboard/mouse only for PC).
The textures themselves are exactly the same, right? I mean, just looking at Chakwas blurry medic cloth in ME1 on PC in glorious 1080p was enough to make me go "wtf, did I chose the Low quality settings?" the first time I played.

They seemed higher to me, but the fact that the resolution was different could have played a part.

Teeth

They seemed higher to me, but the fact that the resolution was different could have played a part.

I think some of the main character faces have slightly higher resolution texture maps on PC (and maybe some of the vistas) but otherwise they are fairly close.

It's most evident on the character closeups with the division between the face textures and the armor textures.

That said, it can't be understated what a difference a higher native resolution makes. Even if the texture pages are fairly large, they can't be resolved properly at a lower resolution frame buffer. See the Dark Souls Durante mod for an obvious example.

Interesting things on twitter from Gamble and Warner:

SiJXBqR.png

Is this because the ending pissed off so many that they don't want to build off an assumed ending?

Patryn

Is this because the ending pissed off so many that they don't want to build off an assumed ending?

More likely because either speculations are correct and ME4 is taking place during the ME3 timeframe, or they realize that the benefit of showing consequences is not worth the cost of having to develop content to fit the divergent endings.

Daemul

Is Rob being serious? Canon ending? If he think's Bioware is going to choose a canon ending then he hasn't been paying attention. It's going to be a new galaxy, we all know it. That ark theory yo lol

DOWN

Banned
So thank goodness it wont take account for individual player choices, but damn that they are still restricted to stories and settings that don't conflict with any possible choices of the original endings.

Is Rob being serious? Canon ending? If he think's Bioware is going to choose a canon ending then he hasn't been paying attention. It's going to be a new galaxy, we all know it. That ark theory yo lol

Doesn't have to be a new galaxy, just somewhere off the Relay network.

prag16

Banned
So thank goodness it wont take account for individual player choices, but damn that they are still restricted to stories and settings that don't conflict with any possible choices of the original endings.
Yeah.. I've been leaning towards a side story that takes place concurrent to ME3 for a while now (in another galaxy or w/e). Those tweets reinforce that if anything.

You can, although calling playing through it as a "playthrough" is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too generous for me, hahaha. It has barely any story or relevance aside from a very slight reminder of it in ME3 (IIRC... or was it ME2...? I think it's ME3...)

Speaking of which, I did double dip ME Trilogy and all the DLCs on PS3 after having played all of them and its DLCs in Xbox360..... I should get on to that...
you bought the entire ME trilogy twice?

you know that's always been something I wondered. You know how we have blu ray players made by several different companies, yet any blu ray movie will work on any blu ray player. but any multiplat game will not work on any console; the games have to be made specifically for the platform. Just coz I don't know innards of these things I wonder why multiplat games don't need the console banner (Ps4/Xbone/Ps3/Ps4) on them and can just work on any console made for that gen. PC I can understand because there's another disc that usually is accompanied for installation, yeah?
There's barely any story in the thing. Seriously, here's about a four-line synopsis that almost literally encompasses the entire thing:

"RARR, I'm the best one here, Shepard! You can't beat my records!"
"Wahhhh, How did you beat my records?!?!"
"Wow, Shepard... you took down all our challenges so easily! Well, I do have an off-the-books challenge that you'll never beat!"
"I'm impressed that you beat my challenge, Shepard. Here's a reward!"

Other than that, it's just a lot of picking your combat challenge type and arena location, and then shooting a ton of enemies.
I understand, I just wanna watch it to get to the part where we see that view.
There was a nice dashboard theme for Pinnacle Station (Potatocam pics here).
? that just looks like the elevator door the original normandy (with the nebula in the background?)

I have seen Me2 on PC, the biggest and easiest noticeable difference was the framerate. And from al the footage I've seen, while the graphics are better it is not substantial like tlour arguably is.

You said tlour added some better textures - if that's all they did while doing 1080/60fps, why is that too much to ask for a ME trilogy remastered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom