• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
When someone is described as an "old adversary", I expect there to be some history between the two.

I personally wouldn't use that term to describe someone who is encountered only about 3 times total.
Kai Leng wasn't even that great a character, either. If he had his own motivation that would've been cool, but he's just a douche. :/

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I actually think Kai Leng would have been perfect if had been present in the Grissom Academy mission and was present ONLY there. It would have been a very nice tie in to the books and wouldn't have made him into too much.

Just my thoughts.

Kai Leng wasn't even that great a character, either. If he had his own motivation that would've been cool, but he's just a douche. :/
I remember one part in Me3 where the prothean vi goes "indoctrinated presence detected" when kai leng shows up. so it's like, the indoctrinated folk can still follow orders of other indoctrinated folk (illusive man) while still losing their minds.

Sagely

They also modeled her camel toe :3

Fun fact, I showed a picture of that to a friend and they thought it was photoshopped. They had trouble believing it until they found another picture! I think it's a DLC costume, but that doesn't make it excusable. EDI is a nice character, she deserved better :(

inky

I have to admit it was kinda funny when joker said he'd regret "not having a shattered pelvis" or something like that.

I'm pretty sure he was faking it anyway:

001kguc5.gif

Or he liked living dangerously.

Kabouter

'not that great'? Really? That's a lot kinder than what I'd go with :D. To me, he's the worst character in any of the Mass Effect games by a country mile. He looks absurd, his writing is atrocious, the entire concept of him is ridiculous, he is used terribly and so on and so forth. He should never have been in ME3.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
'not that great'? Really? That's a lot kinder than what I'd go with :D. To me, he's the worst character in any of the Mass Effect games by a country mile. He looks absurd, his writing is atrocious, the entire concept of him is ridiculous, he is used terribly and so on and so forth. He should never have been in ME3.

He probably should have never been created in the first place if we want to be honest.

I'm pretty sure he was faking it anyway:

001kguc5.gif

Or he liked living dangerously.
I think you're right with the latter: he liked living dangerously. He certainly was not a coward.
yeah, that is a little harsher lol. while we're on the topic of kai leng, where did the whole "kai leng will steal your breakfast" running gag originate?
He probably should have never been created in the first place if we want to be honest.
I think he was in the novels before he was in the game. So if he was a horrible character throughout the whole MEverse, then yeah. I agree.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

He was fine in Retribution. That was easily the best Mass Effect book. He should have stayed there OR been given a minor role in the game. As I said, if he were at Grissom Academy he would have been fine.

inky

I think you're right with the latter: he liked living dangerously. He certainly was not a coward.

Except for that one time he left you to die on the crucible by yourself and escaped to repopulate the species somewhere else. ;P
Yea, yea, I know that's not how it happened according to Bioware.

yeah, that is a little harsher lol. while we're on the topic of kai leng, where did the whole "kai leng will steal your breakfast" running gag originate?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34885566

I check this thread every day, and every day it's nothing new.
This isn't a thread for news. If there's any substantial new information, you can expect a new thread.
Given that they've indicated that they're not doing save importing into ME4, I can't see them suddenly having people import their ME3 saves (or world states) into ME5 or 6 or whatever.
I don't think anyone is seriously expecting this.

AlStrong

I think he was in the novels before he was in the game. So if he was a horrible character throughout the whole MEverse, then yeah. I agree.

Mass effect deception. I linked the neogaf summarized comic a few pages back. :D

Edit:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=34885566
Chapter 3a

DOWN

Banned
Didn't they already indicate that they won't tread on the players' choices and respect those decisions? But also no import.

That says to me they are gonna be either set far from anything that would require them to address specific world states and they will keep it vague, or if they insist on some dialogue connected to player choices, they'll have you do a "The Keep" questionnaire

Daemul

And I don't get the hate with James. Sure he looked like a jock-ish dude from the promos, but he's fine. What's the big deal?

It's like the people who hate Scarfty, bro characters get under some gamers skins for some hilarious reason. I for one love them, mostly because they're always so damn cool, but also because so many hardcore gamers get rattled by them. The raging is entertaining to watch.

whats going on in this thread? I guess we will have to wait for e3 2015 for some actual news right?

We ain't getting nothing till E3.

Except for that one time he left you to die on the crucible by yourself and escaped to repopulate the species somewhere else. ;P
Yea, yea, I know that's not how it happened according to Bioware.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34885566
yap, and before the extended cut dlc, that was still it. at the time everybody was wondering why the hell joker left as he would never leave and then with the extended cut they gave us that extra scene showing that he was convinced to leave by your squadmate. so one could argue that he was acting out of character.

thanks for the gaf link, btw
Mass effect deception. I linked the neogaf summarized comic a few pages back. :D

Edit:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=34885566
Chapter 3a
yeah someone above also linked it. thanks

DOWN

Banned
They are the cruelest teases. Save the tweets for when you've shown something (which means show something now).

Patryn

While it sounds cool hearing about all these people playing ME4, honestly the version they're playing is so early and likely rough that we're better off waiting.

Mindlog

And that finally brings together two dangling threads from my head canon.
The Starchild isn't the Virmire Survivor. The Starchild is Saren. When the crucible elevator reaches the top floor we see Saren standing on Menae as he watches Palavan burn. That's where the conversation starts. The yabber about Starchild representing loss needs the framing of the actions people will take to prevent that loss. As the conversation ends the hologram fades away to the view of Earth on fire.
He was fine in Retribution. That was easily the best Mass Effect book. He should have stayed there OR been given a minor role in the game. As I said, if he were at Grissom Academy he would have been fine.
Those books are really forgettable. I remember that now. Somehow I recalled Deception as being his first appearance. Damn that was awful.

Close to worst. At least you get to off him in amazing fashion.

Nothing comes close to Benezia

No idea when it's set, but for future entries that are post-ME3 they need to just decide on one history and roll with it. Skirting around these issues causes as many problems as it solves.

I wonder how crappily they will deal with it.

1000 Years into the future everyone is as connected as what you would have gotten in the Synthesis ending. The Reapers are long gone slash mysteriously left the galaxy to protect it from something more sinister(deals with control ending). The geth were recreated and know exists as part of the galactic community, or went away to be isolated again far beyond the reach of the galaxy(deals with their extinction)

Ralemont

not me
And that finally brings together two dangling threads from my head canon.
The Starchild isn't the Virmire Survivor. The Starchild is Saren. When the crucible elevator reaches the top floor we see Saren standing on Menae as he watches Palavan burn. That's where the conversation starts. The yabber about Starchild representing loss needs the framing of the actions people will take to prevent that loss. As the conversation ends the hologram fades away to the view of Earth on fire.

That definitely seems like a viable route, especially considering the story concept at one point that had Shepard becoming the "new Saren" betraying his beliefs in order to defeat the Reapers.

(That's Ashley, newly appointed Spectre by the Council tasked with hunting down Shepard)

Wulfram

I've never had much problem with Kai Leng. He serves his role in the plot fine.

Though he'd be better if he didn't have a sword.

Im so excited for the next Mass Effect.

But guys....I really really really want a remastered trilogy to play through before the next game hits. Bioware has to be aware theres demand for it right?

DOWN

Banned
But if they show anything, it'd likely just be a vertical slice.

If we're just about a year from release, the game is likely doing great. And vertical slice is what every pre-release demo is. They always comb through the stuff they have to show off more than the rest of the game, no matter how far along it is. Don't act like vertical slice is inherently bad.

We want to see vertical slices. Perhaps you are turning into an inaccurate negative, but generally a vertical slice is a good demo of what a near-finished section of the game will be so it's good for both them and us to see it. That's why almost every studio is going to have polished vertical slices well ahead of when they release games. And I am sure as hell ready to see Mass Effect's next entry demoed.

Ralemont

not me
Do we know what parts of the game Jos is working on?

According to LinkedIn: Layout creation, world building, testing, optimizing and doing upkeep on retail singleplayer levels. Work together with artists and designers to produce levels with strong regard for art direction and story/narrative driven gameplay.

Lakitu

st5fu
According to LinkedIn: Layout creation, world building, testing, optimizing and doing upkeep on retail singleplayer levels. Work together with artists and designers to produce levels with strong regard for art direction and story/narrative driven gameplay.

Thanks, sounds good.

Patryn

If we're just about a year from release, the game is likely doing great. And vertical slice is what every pre-release demo is. They always comb through the stuff they have to show off more than the rest of the game, no matter how far along it is. Don't act like vertical slice is inherently bad.

We want to see vertical slices. Perhaps you are turning into an inaccurate negative, but generally a vertical slice is a good demo of what a near-finished section of the game will be so it's good for both them and us to see it. That's why almost every studio is going to have polished vertical slices well ahead of when they release games. And I am sure as hell ready to see Mass Effect's next entry demoed.

I don't mean to knock vertical slices or anything. They most definitely have their place in the industry, or else it'd be impossible to really show off a game in development. I was simply saying that the Mass Effect 4 that the team is currently playing (and tweeting about!) is likely still very rough and unpolished, and not something we'd necessarily enjoy.

Meanwhile, what they show off at E3 will likely be extremely polished, in that they're showing it off to the public. I'm sure it'll play just fine, but I also don't necessarily think it's what they're tweeting about playing (although this is a total guess).

Finally, I'm guessing we're still probably 16-24 months out from release. Basically somewhere in the six-month window between Oct. 2016 - March 2017.

But if they show anything, it'd likely just be a vertical slice.
a vertical slice?
That definitely seems like a viable route, especially considering the story concept at one point that had Shepard becoming the "new Saren" betraying his beliefs in order to defeat the Reapers.

(That's Ashley, newly appointed Spectre by the Council tasked with hunting down Shepard)
this reminds me of how (I think in the Me3 CE art book) TIM was planned to be a final bossfight for Me3 but it was scrapped. But the thing with that is, if anything, why make TIM the final boss? It always should've been and only been Harbinger, if anything. I hate how cerberus & tim was basically the main antagonist of the third act in this story instead of the threat that's been built up throughout (reapers...it just seems like the catastrophe to solve and deal with but not face, thematically)
Im so excited for the next Mass Effect.

But guys....I really really really want a remastered trilogy to play through before the next game hits. Bioware has to be aware theres demand for it right?
I'm with you pal. As someone said a few pages back if it is real it'll probably be announced quietly alongside Me4 news at e3.

Angry Fork

Really hope they bring back exploration/mako, and have planets that have civilizations on them to meet/encounter to placate all the whiners who said planets sucked in ME1.

Get rid of all the stupid pointless extra characters that you have to save/recruit and have relationships with. Go back to ME1 type story and music, atmosphere.

They do that and I'm back on board. Liked ME1 a lot, hated 2, didn't bother with 3.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
wonder what he meant by that... like, perhaps they were able to achieve & incorporate something into the game that they envision & planned to do?

It a game development term for major events used to track a game's progress, usually set by a publisher.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Really hope they bring back exploration/mako, and have planets that have civilizations on them to meet/encounter to placate all the whiners who said planets sucked in ME1.

Get rid of all the stupid pointless extra characters that you have to save/recruit and have relationships with. Go back to ME1 type story and music, atmosphere.

They do that and I'm back on board. Liked ME1 a lot, hated 2, didn't bother with 3.

Well, we already know that's coming back, so there's that at least!

Lakitu

st5fu
Thinking about it, I do want them to take all the time they need to make it incredible. Just want the trilogy remaster to tie me over until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom