• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
dFqszrT.png

Desert planet confirmed.

I didn't mind Kai Leng too much. I do think he fell flat and was came off as "generic badass #47", but my imagination filled in the holes. He's one of Cerberus' contingency plans, along with the clone Shepard. There was never any guarantee that Project Lazarus was going to succeed, or that Shepard would survive the mission. So Cerberus needed someone to execute the next phase of Cerberus' goals.

He needed to be in ME2. Maybe Wilson was head of whatever project it was that created Kai Leng, and that's why he tried to sabotage Project Lazarus. This is getting dangerously close to Fan Fiction levels here, but I guess we already went down that hole with the Catalyst conversation.

DOWN

Banned
I hope at least a few planets feel like actual space. Like you can drive on an open sandy plain. That's kind of what most of space is and I like the lonely moodiness, finding debris or artifacts left by those who stopped there once before but didn't stay or survive.

I certainly welcome some varied terrain and flora for the rest, maybe a cool satellite station and some big beautiful labs on a couple of them. Just hope they don't try and please "density" whiners too much. I like big scale in my worlds and I don't want to be hitting one easy point of interest after another in a big space, or worse, have them make the space smaller so that POIs are more dense. If they come up with 5 cool things to find, spread them out and a big landscape please. I don't want every place I drive to be in view of a POI, never getting to be out in an uncivilized field or plain.

One more thing I wanna ask about a potential remaster - Me1 did not have face codes, Me2 did. So is it reasonable to believe the remaster will use the same system of face codes and therefore if you still have the code saved, can use the same face for shep as you did for last gen?

If that's the way it works I'd like for them to incorporate the face codes right into Me1 since I had to make a new face for him but just tried to make him look similar, having played Me2 & 3 before it

Patryn

One more thing I wanna ask about a potential remaster - Me1 did not have face codes, Me2 did. So is it reasonable to believe the remaster will use the same system of face codes and therefore if you still have the code saved, can use the same face for shep as you did for last gen?

If that's the way it works I'd like for them to incorporate the face codes right into Me1 since I had to make a new face for him but just tried to make him look similar, having played Me2 & 3 before it

There is no reason to believe anything beyond getting higher resolution and framerates, if the remaster does happen. So face codes in ME2 and ME3, not in ME1.

Expect that, and everything else is just the cherry on top.

There is no reason to believe anything beyond getting higher resolution and framerates, if the remaster does happen. So face codes in ME2 and ME3, not in ME1.

Expect that, and everything else is just the cherry on top.
fair enough. so if that's the case.. is there any technique in getting a Me1 face to look like how I want it look (a coded face)? If not, I could just try to do accuracy on my own like I did the first time around & then put in the code for Me2.

I also like the default femshep look for Me1/2 more than what she had as a redesign in Me3.

So much air. At some gravity. I was driving.
I'll take dogge meme for $5000 Mr Trebeck!

I would like to know the Mako's hydro capabilities. Does it float or submarine? Both would seem essential for a space-faring exploration craft. But make sure it hops like Winnie Poo's Tiger, cause that's The Mako!

P.S. I just might name my ME4 character MakoLyfe. Better than "Dan" Shepherd or whatever I had.

Patryn

fair enough. so if that's the case.. is there any technique in getting a Me1 face to look like how I want it look (a coded face)? If not, I could just try to do accuracy on my own like I did the first time around & then put in the code for Me2.

I also like the default femshep look for Me1/2 more than what she had as a redesign in Me3.

Face codes are simply what setting was selected for each feature. If you take the time, you can manually apply face codes or create face codes from ME1.

First, you just have to look at what order each feature is listed in ME2 and ME3. I think the order is slightly different than in ME1. Draw up a corresponding list.

Here's how to manually use a face code in ME1:

For each feature, just move the slider all the way to the left, that's 1. Then increment every time you push right. After 9, move to A. Then use the alphabet.

For whatever reason, they don't use O, so go M->N->P.

Ignore the scar field when crafting your code, obviously, as it's not present in later games.

It's kind of sad, but when I start the trilogy over, I actually first make the face in ME3, get the face code, input it into ME2 to make sure it looks right, tweak as needed, and then take that face code and manually enter it in ME1. I'll then tweak that, and go back to ME3 and ME2 to make sure it still looks good.

Yeah, I'm kind of obsessive about faces.

Sjosz

Neo Member
I'll take dogge meme for $5000 Mr Trebeck!

I would like to know the Mako's hydro capabilities. Does it float or submarine? Both would seem essential for a space-faring exploration craft. But make sure it hops like Winnie Poo's Tiger, cause that's The Mako!

P.S. I just might name my ME4 character MakoLyfe. Better than "Dan" Shepherd or whatever I had.

Bounce like Tigger. Gotcha.

Thank you! Long time reader, one of the first times poster.

I know kasumi specialty was infiltrator/cloaking, but can we all agree that what she was really doing was
teleporting?
Face codes are simply what setting was selected for each feature. If you take the time, you can manually apply face codes or create face codes from ME1.

First, you just have to look at what order each feature is listed in ME2 and ME3. I think the order is slightly different than in ME1. Draw up a corresponding list.

Here's how to manually use a face code in ME1:

For each feature, just move the slider all the way to the left, that's 1. Then increment every time you push right. After 9, move to A. Then use the alphabet.

For whatever reason, they don't use O, so go M->N->P.

Ignore the scar field when crafting your code, obviously, as it's not present in later games.

It's kind of sad, but when I start the trilogy over, I actually first make the face in ME3, get the face code, input it into ME2 to make sure it looks right, tweak as needed, and then take that face code and manually enter it in ME1. I'll then tweak that, and go back to ME3 and ME2 to make sure it still looks good.

Yeah, I'm kind of obsessive about faces.
arite cool, thanks. I get the gist of it but this post may come in handy when and if the Me1 Ps4 playthrough is upon me.

DOWN

Banned

Not worth it. They look like play-doh anyway.

His was clearly the only one that looked professionally handled and high quality, plus the lighting always seems to be more interactive with that model. Not to mention he just looks good.
Indeed, his was the only Shepard model to be facescanned, hence why it looks that good.

Daemul

I always preferred my Shepard to look like Mark Vanderloo.

His was clearly the only one that looked professionally handled and high quality, plus the lighting always seems to be more interactive with that model. Not to mention he just looks good.

Indeed, his was the only Shepard model to be facescanned, hence why it looks that good.

It was literally impossible to create a Shepard as good looking as Vanderloo because of this, the dude was just perfect, especially in ME3, OMG, they took him to a whole new level in that game.

Custom Shepards all looked like aborted clones of each other, it didn't matter what their ethnicity was or anything, they all looked the fucking same, with that ugly pasty skin, dead eyes and stupid hair.

My decision to always stick with the default character model in RPG's could not have been more justified than in Mass Effect. Fuck custom characters.

It was literally impossible to create a Shepard as good looking as Vanderloo because of this, the dude was just perfect, especially in ME3, OMG, they took him to a whole new level in that game.

Custom Shepards all looked like aborted clones of each other, it didn't matter what their ethnicity was or anything, they all looked the fucking same, with that ugly pasty skin, dead eyes and stupid hair.

My decision to always stick with the default character model in RPG's could not have been more justified than in Mass Effect. Fuck custom characters.
lol.

this is all true, and while my shepard's facial features did become somewhat exaggerated transitioning into Me3, it didn't really bother me much, I just had to do some tweaking to his cheek gaunts before starting the playthrough.

I hope it doesn't have any of that emptiness inside of it like the dragon age game does, felt like playing a MMO with all the fetch quest..but it also didn't feel like i was impacting anything in the world. I like my side missions with meat, can't wait for mass effect.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it doesn't have any of that emptiness inside of it like the dragon age game does, felt like playing a MMO with all the fetch quest..but it also didn't feel like i was impacting anything in the world. I like my side missions with meat, can't wait for mass effect.

One dev posted here at GAF (think it was this very thread) about how their approach to Dragon Age is different from Mass Effect, which was awesome to hear, since DA did feel a bit repetitive with the fetch quests.

DOWN

Banned
Even the Dragon Age team isn't going to approach Dragon Age that way again. That's the biggest criticism their GOTY winner got. It was fetch quest central.

inky

I wish I had pics of my first Shep on 360. Black dude, looked all business. I could never get him look that good on PC again.

I tried rolling with the famous Obama Shepard once face codes were a thing, but it just wasn't the same.

Toa TAK

Banned
You people and your Shepards.

I am 100% lacking in any creativity so when I started Mass Effect (the first RPG I had played besides Pokemon) and came up on the creation screen I was like, "Uh, so do I make myself?"

And did just that.

For my Femshep run I just used the default face for the first two and replaced that with ME3's awesome FemShep face.

If our main characters can be different species in ME4 (like the multiplayer), the character creator will become a second pastime for some people. I'd play as a Drell or Salarian first.

I hope they play around with gravity on each of the planets. I'd like to have top thrusters that make sure we don't leave the atmosphere when we jump the Mako.

I like the way you think: Thresher Maws confirmed also.
. So are thresher maws able to travel thru space or spread their seed across space? That's a scary thought!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If our main characters can be different species in ME4 (like the multiplayer), the character creator will become a second pastime for some people. I'd play as a Drell or Salarian first.

I hope they play around with gravity on each of the planets. I'd like to have top thrusters that make sure we don't leave the atmosphere when we jump the Mako.

. So are thresher maws able to travel thru space or spread their seed across space? That's a scary thought!

Considering we saw Thresher maws on differents planets on different star systems/clusters in ME1... i'd say yes, it's highly possible. :p

Patryn

I have to have a custom face in pretty much any Bioware game.

Using the default face is so boring. Makes me feel like I'm not playing my Shepard.

I have to admit that when the play statistics came out, I got a little hipster thrill to learn that by playing a custom face Engineer FemShep, I was in practically the smallest percentage of the userbase possible.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, but were they weaponized, aka carried across space by others? Or would I see one swimming across space?

Dunno, but since you see them in the middle of nowhere on barren planets with no buildings around, it's hard to think that someone sent them there.

Then again, the logic behind them being on multiple planets across different systems probably didn't come across Bioware's mind. Just like how you see the same wild pyjaks and varrens on different planets.

The reason for that is probably just to save time and resources on building too many alien models. If each planets had differents alien animals, it would be nice and would make sense, but would it be worth it?

EA's E3 should be amazing this year. Gameplay from Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge 2, and Battlefront!

*Swoon*
Agreed. I'm really looking forward to this year's E3. Both ME Next and Mirror's Edge 2 are expected to launch next year, so we'll probably be seeing some actual gameplay this year. Can't wait!

Also, this is my first post on GAF!

Vashetti

Banned
Goddamnit I missed all the ME3 ending discussion a few pages back.

If they have to pick a canon ending it should be Destroy, they can reference Shepard waking up in the rubble.

I'm almost positive we will never see Shepard again.

Yeah I agree, if Shepard was shown again they would have to put in some way of importing your character from previous ME games.

I think any nods to the previous games will be things that happened in everyones playthrough.

SliChillax

Yeah I agree, if Shepard was shown again they would have to put in some way of importing your character from previous ME games.

I think any nods to the previous games will be things that happened in everyones playthrough.
Have they explained the breathing scene at the end of ME3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom