• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

Thank you.

& I never thought of it that way. Now that I think about it, the DLC of ME does add for a pretty extensive experience than what's just on the disc. So for someone who's played the games vs someone who's played them with all the dlc, the former may be missing some pretty vital parts of the story even though it isn't required to advance.

Was the 2012 bundle missing any dlc?

first off, sony has persona 5 for this winter and I don't care if it's 3rd party, it's fucking something. But that's a discussion for elsewhere.

Uncharted may have been a sony owned game being pushed but that doesn't excuse multiplatform games from not receiving the same finishing touches to run smoother. The issues the games had on Ps3 were pretty awful. Of course I wasn't trying to say that ME's performance has nothing to do with uncharted getting a remaster, I'm just saying for these reasons already stated, ME should be getting remastered right now by bp, not uncharted.lolwhat? I thought that trailer was prerendered/cgi?
Trailer was made in Frostbite, not prerendered.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Hopefully Bioware can make the actual game look just as good. But I have some doubts since this wouldn't be the 1st time a developper can't get the final game to look just as good as what they wanted... we'll see when gameplay videos shows up.

diaspora

Hopefully Bioware can make the actual game look just as good. But I have some doubts since this wouldn't be the 1st time a developper can't get the final game to look just as good as what they wanted... we'll see when gameplay videos shows up.
FWIW, Inquisition was stunning and that was cross gen.

Not sure if you guys know already, but the ME3 Galaxy Mod is out, and it's stellar. It adds a lot of stuff to the game - systems and planets from ME1/2 to return to, lots of rebalancing/extra plot events, additional weapons and bonuses if you imported from ME2, etc.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thank you.

& I never thought of it that way. Now that I think about it, the DLC of ME does add for a pretty extensive experience than what's just on the disc. So for someone who's played the games vs someone who's played them with all the dlc, the former may be missing some pretty vital parts of the story even though it isn't required to advance.

Was the 2012 bundle missing any dlc?

first off, sony has persona 5 for this winter and I don't care if it's 3rd party, it's fucking something. But that's a discussion for elsewhere.

Uncharted may have been a sony owned game being pushed but that doesn't excuse multiplatform games from not receiving the same finishing touches to run smoother. The issues the games had on Ps3 were pretty awful. Of course I wasn't trying to say that ME's performance has nothing to do with uncharted getting a remaster, I'm just saying for these reasons already stated, ME should be getting remastered right now by bp, not uncharted.lolwhat? I thought that trailer was prerendered/cgi?

And once again you are spewing nonsense. Uncharted and Mass Effect have nothing to do with eachother. One is not preventing the other from getting released. If you want to be upset about the fact that (at this time) we are not getting a Mass Effect trilogy, that's fine. I share that frustration, but leave Uncharted out of it. There are a ton of games out there that I have no interest in. You won't see me spewing things like "I want Resistance 4, Sony shouldn't be making Last Guardian."

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Uncharted 4 is an example of this.
Last year the trailer was running in game on PS4 at 1080p/60fps.
This years actual gameplay demo was at 30fps, which (iirc) is now NDs target frame rate.

Patryn

Whats crazy is that for PS3 it had all the DLC for ME2 (minus Arrival), but for 360 it had none of it.

That's because when ME2 originally shipped on PS3, it had Overlord and Shadow Broker packaged with it. I think they did it because it was a late port, and both those DLCs had already shipped for the 360.

Arrival came after the PS3 version, hence why it's not included.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's because when ME2 originally shipped on PS3, it had Overlord and Shadow Broker packaged with it. I think they did it because it was a late port, and both those DLCs had already shipped for the 360.

Arrival came after the PS3 version, hence why it's not included.
I know that, but it just goes to show that PC and Xbox 360 owners are the ones getting the most ripped off.

wow. I did not know that. dope.
And once again you are spewing nonsense. Uncharted and Mass Effect have nothing to do with eachother. One is not preventing the other from getting released. If you want to be upset about the fact that (at this time) we are not getting a Mass Effect trilogy, that's fine. I share that frustration, but leave Uncharted out of it. There are a ton of games out there that I have no interest in. You won't see me spewing things like "I want Resistance 4, Sony shouldn't be making Last Guardian."
johnny, I don't really care if you think what I say is nonsense, but I'll continue the discussion anyway. Your resistance 4/last guardian analogy does not work here because I am talking strictly about remastered games. for reasons I already stated, I don't think uncharted should even be remastered but that's a different conversation than the one here. what i am saying is that right now, bp should have ME be what they're working on right now, but they're doing uncharted. not ME. that's why I keep bringing up uncharted.

bluepoint has a good reputation for remastering games, so that should be what they're working on to deliver for Q4 this year. it just feels like the right time for the ME trilogy to be made for current gen.

All of Mass Effect 3's DLC.
what?

correct me if i'm wrong, but by the time the bundle released there was only from ashes & leviathan, yeah? but still. that's not cool.

Patryn

what?

correct me if i'm wrong, but by the time the bundle released there was only from ashes & leviathan, yeah? but still. that's not cool.

You are correct, that DLC was out at the time. But there is 0 (zero) Mass Effect 3 DLC in the bundle.

Nada.

Nothing.

Zip.

Zilch.

ME3 DLC is SOOOOO GOOOD compared to the CRAPOLA of the base game.

Citadel >= Omega >>> Leviathan >>>>>>> From Ashes

screenshot-126-omega-p.jpg

<3 Omega <3 Aria <3

Patryn

Why did they do that? Did they really just want and expect everybody to pay more after the $60 for the last game's dlc?

Yes?

All they did was literally bundle together the existing three retail releases. Hence why the 360 version of the bundle was missing all the ME2 DLC.

They just took the same discs as in the individual releases and put them in a new case. The one exception was ME1 on PS3, but that was even just a download code, I believe.

Yes?

All they did was literally bundle together the existing three retail releases. Hence why the 360 version of the bundle was missing all the ME2 DLC.

They just took the same discs as in the individual releases and put them in a new case. The one exception was ME1 on PS3, but that was even just a download code, I believe.
na, the Ps3 bundle had Me1 on a disc.

but wait...so out of the 3 versions of the bundle, some were incomplete? the Ps3 version had the most dlc? the 360 version was missing even more?? not cool man not cool. I thought all of them had the dlcs for Me1 & 2

So, the production (ME A) started in late 2012 with Montreal team. Inquisition was released in November 2014, that means full-production began in late 2014 with 3 studios. and the release date is Q4 2016.

So the development cycle:

pre-production, 2 years, Montreal team (Q4 2012 - Q4 2014)

full-production, 2 years, Montreal, Edmonton, and Austin teams (Q4 2014 - Q4 2016)

4 years in total. that's a lot.

Patryn

So, the production (ME A) started in late 2012 with Montreal team. Inquisition was released in November 2014, that means full-production began in late 2014 with 3 studios. and the release date is Q4 2016.

So the development cycle:

pre-production, 2 years, Montreal team (Q4 2012 - Q4 2014)

full-production, 2 years, Montreal, Edmonton, and Austin teams (Q4 2014 - Q4 2016)

4 years in total. that's a lot.

?

I have no idea where you're getting that all three teams are working full bore on this.

Edmonton is working on the new IP that Casey Hudson helped create before he left.

Austin is still working on SWTOR, and they were working on their cancelled game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
wow. I did not know that. dope.johnny, I don't really care if you think what I say is nonsense, but I'll continue the discussion anyway. Your resistance 4/last guardian analogy does not work here because I am talking strictly about remastered games. for reasons I already stated, I don't think uncharted should even be remastered but that's a different conversation than the one here. what i am saying is that right now, bp should have ME be what they're working on right now, but they're doing uncharted. not ME. that's why I keep bringing up uncharted.

bluepoint has a good reputation for remastering games, so that should be what they're working on to deliver for Q4 this year. it just feels like the right time for the ME trilogy to be made for current gen.

what?

Why don't you take to Twitter and tell Sony that they should send Bluepoint a memo that they need halt all work in the UC trilogy and start working on the Mass Effect trilogy. It's clearly Sonys fault that we're not getting a Mass Effect trilogy.

OR you can continue to be patient and see what the future brings once the Mass Effect Andromeda marketting machine kicks in.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
?

I have no idea where you're getting that all three teams are working full bore on this.

Edmonton is working on the new IP that Casey Hudson helped create before he left.

Austin is still working on SWTOR, and they were working on their cancelled game.
Eventhough Montreal is the main studio, my understanding is that Edmonton is providing a lot of assistance.

Plasma

Banned

I just can't see it looking that good it seemed a couple of steps above Battlefront visually which is being made by DICE who created the engine and are the most well versed in using it.

Why don't you take to Twitter and tell Sony that they should send Bluepoint a memo that they need halt all work in the UC trilogy and start working on the Mass Effect trilogy. It's clearly Sonys fault that we're not getting a Mass Effect trilogy.

OR you can continue to be patient and see what the future brings once the Mass Effect Andromeda marketting machine kicks in.
Sorry, I don't do Twitter. No, it isn't Sony's fault we're not getting ME, it's EA's but if EA had decided earlier this year that they were gonna do a ME remaster, perhaps that's what bp would be doing right now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sorry, I don't do Twitter. No, it isn't Sony's fault we're not getting ME, it's EA's but if EA had decided earlier this year that they were gonna do a ME remaster, perhaps that's what bp would be doing right now.

As I have said before, we are around a year and a half away from Mass Effects Andromeda projected release date of late 2016, it terms of maximum visibility and exposure it makes the most sense to release the ME trilogy at a time when it can better tie in with Andromeda marketting.

I still believe it's coming at some point, with all the games that have been remastered and are getting remastered the Mass Effect trilogy is easily on the top of those lists of most requested. In fact, I believe only Red Dead Redemption and (maybe) the Bioshock trilogy are more highly requested.

There is no question that EA is aware of the demand. No question. But they are still probably deciding what sort of treatment to give it. Do they want to give it the Halo MCC treatment (minus the bugs and the brokenness) where the games are rebuilt from the ground up, the Bluepoint treatment where the games are ported with the highest possible quality, but without all the bells and whistles, OR do they want to do the quick and dirty port job using a studio like High Voltage? Those are all things they need to decide.

Especially now that backwards compatibility is a thing on the Xbox One, I just don't see them taking the time to create the remasters.
ughhhhhh. what about the playstation base? why are the mass effect fans on that ship just seen as less important for some reason?

I mean, does the fact that you can now play halo 3 and 4 on a 360 disc invalidate any reason to buy the mcc?
The iPad has outsold the PS4 and the Xbox One by far. Given the superior hardware over the 360 and the huge resolution doing a remaster for iOS tablets only makes sense.

Right?

I'm saying your reasoning by using the PS4's sales is junk.
you can't possibly be serious. why then didn't rockstar rerelease gta5 on iOS when it did so for Ps4 and xbone?

That doesn't change that there's probably more people out there with iPads being used to play games if not exclusively than there are PS4s, by a wide margin by the sheer volume of those things out in the wild.
Yes it does. iPads are tablets, not video game platforms (primarily).

Your argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny. EA can either spend the money to port the series for the sake of one platform, or it could spend the money on existing titles and new IPs. "PS4 sales" breaks down almost immediately.
he's right, you're wrong. Ps4 sales is key here, it is the difference maker and should be a reason combined with the xbone install base for a reason to remaster ME.

First party, it's like you set yourself up for failure. The desperate port-begging is not a good look.

necro edit: They'd have to re-license UE3 too to make new games from it too no? Right now everything is running on Frostbite, they're not going to license an engine for one port.
I dunno about the relicensing part but I don't see any port begging going on here. Bitching and complaining yeah, but not begging.

As I have said before, we are around a year and a half away from Mass Effects Andromeda projected release date of late 2016, it terms of maximum visibility and exposure it makes the most sense to release the ME trilogy at a time when it can better tie in with Andromeda marketting.

I still believe it's coming at some point, with all the games that have been remastered and are getting remastered the Mass Effect trilogy is easily on the top of those lists of most requested. In fact, I believe only Red Dead Redemption and (maybe) the Bioshock trilogy are more highly requested.

There is no question that EA is aware of the demand. No question. But they are still probably deciding what sort of treatment to give it. Do they want to give it the Halo MCC treatment (minus the bugs and the brokenness) where the games are rebuilt from the ground up, the Bluepoint treatment where the games are ported with the highest possible quality, but without all the bells and whistles, OR do they want to do the quick and dirty port job using a studio like High Voltage? Those are all things they need to decide.
Well I'm not saying this ME remaster should've released like this month or anything, I said Q4 this year. And I think a year before the next game's release isn't a bad time. the mcc released last year, basically a year before halo 5. releasing it too proximate to the launch of Me4 would be a mistake imo. and I thought we established way ahead of time that a remaster would consist of basically not much more than a higher fps?

EDIT: congrats on your 420th post in here btw =]

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
ughhhhhh. what about the playstation base? why are the mass effect fans on that ship just seen as less important for some reason?

I mean, does the fact that you can now play halo 3 and 4 on a 360 disc invalidate any reason to buy the mcc?you can't possibly be serious. why then didn't rockstar rerelease gta5 on iOS when it did so for Ps4 and xbone?

Yes it does. iPads are tablets, not video game platforms (primarily).

he's right, you're wrong. Ps4 sales is key here, it is the difference maker and should be a reason combined with the xbone install base for a reason to remaster ME.

I dunno about the relicensing part but I don't see any port begging going on here. Bitching and complaining yeah, but not begging.

Well I'm not saying this ME remaster should've released like this month or anything, I said Q4 this year. And I think a year before the next game's release isn't a bad time. the mcc released last year, basically a year before halo 5. releasing it too proximate to the launch of Me4 would be a mistake imo. and I thought we established way ahead of time that a remaster would consist of basically not much more than a higher fps?
LOL. It's amazing how many in this thread is acting like because the Xbox One has BC that all of the sudden the PS4 base is nothing. SMH.

anyway, if you want my opinion the best time to announce an ME trilogy port would be at N7 day this year for release early next year, which would give people a solid 9+ months to replay the trilogy and get more hyped up. It's also possible they could announce it at E3 for immediate release.

Releasing it after that IMo is pushing it, unless MEA is delayed, which is very possible.

We will see.

LOL. It's amazing how many in this thread is acting like because the Xbox One has BC that all of the sudden the PS4 base is nothing. SMH.
yeah. it honestly really pisses me off. like, I get that ME is mostly recognized as an xbox franchise and that that's where the games sold the most, but...they are playstation games too, and playstation ME fans should matter. not only that, but playstation is the more favored platform this generation. hell, i think even cod sells better on playstation now.

whatever ea & bioware hoped to achieve when they released Me2 for the Ps3, I am the epitome of it. I never played Me1 (at that point) and I fell in love with Mass Effect after playing the second game on Ps3. I played the hell out of it and I hated the Me3 ending, just as the majority did, and again the majority was primarily on 360.

anyway, if you want my opinion the best time to announce an ME trilogy port would be at N7 day this year for release early next year, which would give people a solid 9+ months to replay the trilogy and get more hyped up. It's also possible they could announce it at E3 for immediate release.

Releasing it after that IMo is pushing it, unless MEA is delayed, which is very possible.

We will see.
Okay. Well that's your opinion and I respect it, to me it'd be better to announce it earlier on and then release it on n7 day. a year ahead of time is better because there'll be a lot, a lot, a lot of hours that get put into a ME trilogy playthrough. indeed, we will see.

c'mon ea...

Come on dudes, nowhere in my post did I even intend to imply that the Sony platforms and people playing on them are 'nothing'. EA hasn't released any remasters so far, they're probably looking at how much it would cost to bring these games to the next-gen consoles. Now that one of those consoles will have the ability to play the older games, with little to no extra effort on EA's behalf, the odds of them figuring the costs outweigh potential profits are high. There's no platform favoritism, no hidden agenda, just looking at numbers. Even with the PS4 userbase being significantly higher, I'm not sure a remaster would warrant enough sales to justify producing it.

Could I be wrong? Most definitely.
Does that mean a remaster is out of the question? Not at all.

The remaster talk in this thread has become toxic, and it's incredibly unpleasant to read. It's a remaster of a videogame, guys. It'll either happen, or it won't. Heed the wisdom of our good friend Garrus Vakarian, and always expect the worst.

Who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Come on dudes, nowhere in my post did I even intend to imply that the Sony platforms and people playing on them are 'nothing'. EA hasn't released any remasters so far, they're probably looking at how much it would cost to bring these games to the next-gen consoles. Now that one of those consoles will have the ability to play the older games, with little to no extra effort on EA's behalf, the odds of them figuring the costs outweigh potential profits are high. There's no platform favoritism, no hidden agenda, just looking at numbers. Even with the PS4 userbase being significantly higher, I'm not sure a remaster would warrant enough sales to justify producing it.

Could I be wrong? Most definitely.
Does that mean a remaster is out of the question? Not at all.

The remaster talk in this thread has become toxic, and it's incredibly unpleasant to read. It's a remaster of a videogame, guys. It'll either happen, or it won't. Heed the wisdom of our good friend Garrus Vakarian, and always expect the worst.

Who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised.
I wasn't trying to put you on the spot if that's how it came off. I mean, you're hardly the only person to say something like "Me1 was shown and demonstrated during the BC reveal so I doubt it'll be remastered etc" - I'm only saying that doesn't seem like a good enough reason not to remaster it seeing as how xbox's flagship series, halo, has all of the main titles remastered and now the xbox and halo owners have the option of not buying mcc for the latter two games.

and about the remaster talk becoming public, this is after all the community thread now. and as you and I and we can see, gaf is quite representative of how high a demand for a remaster is. and like, I have tried creating discussions on other ME topics, like here, but it didn't really gain much traction.

I wasn't trying to put you on the spot if that's how it came off. I mean, you're hardly the only person to say something like "Me1 was shown and demonstrated during the BC reveal so I doubt it'll be remastered etc" - I'm only saying that doesn't seem like a good enough reason not to remaster it seeing as how xbox's flagship series, halo, has all of the main titles remastered and now the xbox and halo owners have the option of not buying mcc for the latter two games.

and about the remaster talk becoming public, this is after all the community thread now. and as you and I and we can see, gaf is quite representative of how high a demand for a remaster is. and like, I have tried creating discussions on other ME topics, like here, but it didn't really gain much traction.

Different games, different publisher, and I think the MCC served as a cautionary tale for many a publisher. There's a reason the Uncharted collection is (afaik) singleplayer only and Gears of War is only getting one game remastered. They won't come out and say it, and I doubt it was the only factor, but stad seeing that collection crash and burn probably had a big effect.

Also, GAF may be very vocal at times, but for a lot of things we're in the minority. If the demand for a remaster was as high as you believe, they would've announced something at E3 to make their shareholders happy.

That said, you've still got Gamescom and N7 day coming as venues for an announcement. I'll gladly eat crow if the remasters are revealed then, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

And yeah, that's the downside to this drought of information. I was hoping we'd have something more substantial about MEA at this point. Biggest disappointment of E3, in my book.

What are you talking about?

What I said in my post, he isn't wrong. The remaster talk is getting very toxic. People are being unpleasant.

Different games, different publisher, and I think the MCC served as a cautionary tale for many a publisher. There's a reason the Uncharted collection is (afaik) singleplayer only and Gears of War is only getting one game remastered. They won't come out and say it, and I doubt it was the only factor, but stad seeing that collection crash and burn probably had a big effect.

Also, GAF may be very vocal at times, but for a lot of things we're in the minority. If the demand for a remaster was as high as you believe, they would've announced something at E3 to make their shareholders happy.

That said, you've still got Gamescom and N7 day coming as venues for an announcement. I'll gladly eat crow if the remasters are revealed then, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

And yeah, that's the downside to this drought of information. I was hoping we'd have something more substantial about MEA at this point. Biggest disappointment of E3, in my book.
The majority of ME is single player, so that wouldn't be an issue. Is that last sentence in your first paragraph a typo? Not sure what you're saying there.

As well, neogaf is one of the largest forums on the internet. I remember when I became a full member and made my first thread, and I got like over 25 posts in less than 5 minutes. It's obviously not representative of the whole video gaming community body, but it certainly does speak some volumes.
What I said in my post, he isn't wrong. The remaster talk is getting very toxic. People are being unpleasant.
Well...first of all, like I said, I didn't mean to come off as hostile if that's what it seems. I just really don't like how xbone's BC is being treated as one big reason why ME shouldn't and probably won't get remastered. And again, I have tried stirring up some other discussion in this thread like that example I gave in my last response to you, but it didn't gain much traction.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Anyway, I think that settles that, because yeah I think the remaster talk has been talked about to death and is becoming toxic.

Long story short: if something isn't announced and/or released between n7 day and e3 next year then it's probably a safe bet that it isn't coming.

P.s. The MEA trailer still sucked.

Random17

Anyone know of a good way to get rid of the god awful aliasing on ME2 PC?

I've tried SweetFX + Nvidia Inspector/Control Panel (750Ti) and nothing seems to work. Lots of aliasing and shimmering on geometry, especially in the Normandy. This occurs on settings ranging from 8xMSAA to 32x (8MSAA, 4SS) in addition to the Ultra SSAA package on SweetFX.

Anyone know of a good way to get rid of the god awful aliasing on ME2 PC?

I've tried SweetFX + Nvidia Inspector/Control Panel (750Ti) and nothing seems to work. Lots of aliasing and shimmering on geometry, especially in the Normandy. This occurs on settings ranging from 8xMSAA to 32x (8MSAA, 4SS) in addition to the Ultra SSAA package on SweetFX.

downsampling

Quentyn

So what are you guys thinking when will we hear more about Andromeda? It is understandable with how far the game is still off, but I was still slightly disappointed with how little info they revealed at E3. It was basically just a name and date.

I am thinking N7 Day at the earliest either combined with a Game Informer cover or just a few teases at N7 Day and then a GI cover early next year.

diaspora

So what are you guys thinking when will we hear more about Andromeda? It is understandable with how far the game is still off, but I was still slightly disappointed with how little info they revealed at E3. It was basically just a name and date.

I am thinking N7 Day at the earliest either combined with a Game Informer cover or just a few teases at N7 Day and then a GI cover early next year.
Maybe gamescom. Don't think they want to show too much this early though. Still 18 months out.

I consider GamesCom a surer bet than N7day because it has a bigger reach and more coverage. I'm not a hardcore industry watcher but I sense EA has shortened it's PR cycles under Andrew Wilson (and in general tries to be more transparent about their development cycles) so I expect we won't have to wait long for something substantial.

In the past, BioWare used GamesCom to announce the release date of ME3 and last time they announced the late Shadow Realms. Unless they're going to roll out their new IP, Andromeda seems the likely spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom