• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I do kind of agree with the point above that releasing it this far in advance doesn't really add up. If Andromeda is a late 2016 game (which could easily be delayed to 2017) a remaster would make a lot more sense a bit closer to the game's release.

The general reaction to ME:A seems to be half "it looks amazing" and half "What! No trilogy remaster!?", the demand for one is HUGE. I've only played 3 (I know, I know), so I'm going to hold out hope for one so I can finally play the full trilogy on ps4/xbo.

I like the title of the game, but I can't say it looks amazing since they showed so little.

It was about as worthless a trailer as they can show. As I said, earlier: why did they even bother?

They would have done themselves far better service by announcing in advance that they would not be at E3 and just released the trailer separately. Between all the tweets and everything I don't feel it was unreasonable for people to have expected a bit more from the reveal. But then again, the fans attitude towards Bioware probably placed them in a no win situation. I can't think of a single studio that evokes more emotions out of their fanbase than Bioware.

But it is what it is. We have a targeted release date and for me I know that I can put this series on the backburner for the time being.

Mass Effect 3's ending is still a bit of a sour note for me, and because of that I can't say that Mass Effect Andromeda is even close to being my most anticipated title. In all honesty, this is probably the best possible thing. Having low expectations makes it far easier to surprise you and it makes the wait FAR more bearable. The wait between Mass Effect 2 and 3 was brutal.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I was going to type out a long rant, but there is no point, it changes nothing.

It just looks DragonAge will be my last EA title that I purchase for quite some time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
No remaster announcement is pretty baffling, they've made too much noise about it for it to not be a thing.

"Too much"? Other than some post on Neogaf asking what people would like to see in a potential remaster, there has been no words about it. I doubt they even started work on it.

Beside, Mass Effect Andromeda won't come out until holiday 2016, the remaster might as well be announced next E3.

Weebos

Banned
"Too much"? Other than some post on Neogaf asking what people would like to see in a potential remaster, there has been no words about it. I doubt they even started work on it.

Beside, Mass Effect Andromeda won't come out until holiday 2016, the remaster might as well be announced next E3.

There have been a lot of developer tweets about it as well, not to mention multiple retailer leaks (though those could be and at this point probably are fake).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There have been a lot of developer tweets about it as well, not to mention multiple retailer leaks (though those could be and at this point probably are fake).
The reality is at this moment is that if it is coming it won't be out for a while.

Contrary to what everyone says or thinks it could still happen and I believe it may still happen, but I will no longer bet money on it. I don't take anything that an executive says as gospel. It has happened NUMEROUS times where someone will say something isn't in the works only for it to get announced later. The a Last of Us Remastered is a recent example. Sony long denied the existence and then it was announced one day.

Having slept on it and thought it through, it just does not make much sense to release it so far away from the release of ME:A. Next year is when the ME hype train will pick up and that's when it makes most sense to release it.

But by all means, go ahead and replay the trilogy on your platform of choice. I currently have the base games on PC, but no ME3 DLC and won't even consider doing a playthrough until I can get all the DLC at a cheap price.

EA I also suspect will be monitoring how well the Uncharted collection sells.

Weebos

Banned
*citation needed

After looking over my receipts they are of poor quality, but I will present them anyway, and they feature some familiar faces.

March 2, 2014
https://twitter.com/AarynFlynn/status/440158741787197440

November 6, 2014
https://twitter.com/AarynFlynn/status/530423921737482241

https://twitter.com/AarynFlynn/status/530579441341448194

These are all pretty noncommittal, I swear I've seen more, but they were probably in my dreams.

Squire

Banned
After looking over my receipts they are of poor quality, but I will present them anyway, and they feature some familiar faces.

March 2, 2014

November 6, 2014

These are all pretty noncommittal, I swear I've seen more, but they were probably in my dreams.

Three tweets by the same one guy that posted here? Definitely not "them making a lot of noise" haha.

Patryn

March 2, 2014

November 6, 2014

Yeah, those just seem to fit what I think is the likely story that they considered doing a remastered trilogy, but the plan got scuttled along the way in favor of developing new games.

Honestly, we shouldn't be shocked, given that EA hasn't really done a ton of remasters in the past.

diaspora

Yeah, those just seem to fit what I think is the likely story that they considered doing a remastered trilogy, but the plan got scuttled along the way in favor of developing new games.

Honestly, we shouldn't be shocked, given that EA hasn't really done a ton of remasters in the past.
If that seems like the idea was thrown around by a few guys but EA opted to put that money to software in progress or new games. It's honestly not something I can argue against.

Lucreto

I remember this tweet from 15 thApril this year.

hagDl3y.png

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=160238899

I still think it is happening. They need to give a Definitive answers Yes or No.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I remember this tweet from 15 thApril this year.

hagDl3y.png

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=160238899

I still think it is happening. They need to give a Definitive answers Yes or No.

I think he later said that was just him teasing Aaryn, that he had no actual knowledge if the remaster was happening or not, that he wasn't in a position to be aware of this and that Aaryn would.

Maybe that was a lie too, who knows.

Patryn

I wouldn't be shocked if the price thing is what killed the idea.

I can see EA not being a fan of giving away all that content for only $60 (all the games plus all the DLC adds up to quite a bit), but at the same time not wanting to drop a product that has uncertain sales potential for more than that.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wouldn't be shocked if the price thing is what killed the idea.

I can see EA not being a fan of giving away all that content for only $60 (all the games plus all the DLC adds up to quite a bit), but at the same time not wanting to drop a product that has uncertain sales potential for more than that.

Right, because it makes total sense to make nothing on it.

EA logic...

Squire

Banned

EA logic...

No, it makes sense to not do it if internal analytics tell them it'd only break even. Like Patryn said in his post, they'd already be losing out on some cash to start by including all the DLC. It'd probably need to the best selling remaster to actually be profitable/worth the investment of putting it together and releasing it.

It's not that no money is better, it's that they think they can do other things that will make more than this would.

EA logic...

They're not making anything on it, but they're not losing anything either. They don't need to pay developers, they don't need to do marketing, that stuff all adds up. Especially now that backwards compatibility is a thing on the Xbox One, I just don't see them taking the time to create the remasters.

They've probably been looking closely at what happened with the Master Chief Collection, too, since that's one of the few remasters to include more than one game. I think EA, of all publishers, knows a turd when they see one.

At best we might be getting something in the style of Dragon Age: Keep. And that's if they make past decisions even matter. Game might be set far enough in the future for none of it to matter anymore.

There's always a small chance they reconsider, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No, it makes sense to not do it if internal analytics tell them it'd only break even. Like Patryn said in his post, they'd already be losing out on some cash to start by including all the DLC. It'd probably need to the best selling remaster to actually be profitable/worth the investment of putting it together and releasing it.

It's not that no money is better, it's that they think they can do other things that will make more than this would.

I disagree with this and have no idea how you can make the assumption that it would need to be the best selling remaster to be profitable. Lesser known titles are getting rereleased, so there is obviously some money to be made. I can tell you right now if EA were to release this and try to sell the DLC separately virtually nobody would buy it. That would be the ultimate slap in the face. That would make it dead on arrival. That's one of the charms of remasters that makes them attractive is that you (usually) get all available DLC content for one price.

They're not making anything on it, but they're not losing anything either. They don't need to pay developers, they don't need to do marketing, that stuff all adds up. Especially now that backwards compatibility is a thing on the Xbox One, I just don't see them taking the time to create the remasters.

They've probably been looking closely at what happened with the Master Chief Collection, too, since that's one of the few remasters to include more than one game. I think EA, of all publishers, knows a turd when they see one.

At best we might be getting something in the style of Dragon Age: Keep. And that's if they make past decisions even matter. Game might be set far enough in the future for none of it to matter anymore.

There's always a small chance they reconsider, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yes, they need to pay developers and such, but once again you're thinking of this as an AAA title and not a niche title like it would be. It's not some thing that would get a huge marketing budget, because it's not something that would likely be worth it. I certainly believe that a Mass Effect trilogy uber edition pack would be a profitable venture. The development costs, while certainly not free, are not massive since they would likely porting the PC. Granted I am no expert, but I can tell you that porting from PC to these consoles is not a monumentally difficult task. Porting from PS3 to PS4 is considerably more difficult.

I found your comment about Halo MCC very interesting, because I have no idea what you mean by "what had happened" and how it relates to a Mass Effect trilogy. To my knowledge it sold reasonably well. If you're referring to the game being broken as all hell then fine. Halo MCC was buggy as hell, but it was also a MUCH larger and more difficult project than a Mass Effect trilogy port would ever be. HMCC required bringing together multiple engines, redesigning many assets (especially Halo 2) an online component, and an all new interface. It's not a very good comparison IMO. I think the Borderlands Handsome Collection is a more accurate comparison since those games were ported from PC assets and ran reasonably well. I played them, they run fine although GAF will try and tell you some minor framerate drops here and there are gamebreaking.

Your comment about Xbox One BC, means something but not a lot because it ignores the PS4, which has outsold the X1 by quite a bit. There is a market there and a rather large one. As for Xbox One, BC will certainly affect some sales, but people like me would buy it anyway for the graphical and performance improvements.

As for why EA may or may not do a remaster, I can't say, but I would take an educated guess that the number one reason is timing. As I stated in my previous posts it just doesn't make much sense to do it right now when we are 1.5 - 2 years away from release. It would make most sense to release it once the MEA hype starts to kick in when exposure would be at its maximum.

Other reasons are that they just may not want to.

diaspora

I disagree with this and have no idea how you can make the assumption that it would need to be the best selling remaster to be profitable. Lesser known titles are getting rereleased, so there is obviously some money to be made. I can tell you right now if EA were to release this and try to sell the DLC separately virtually nobody would buy it. That would be the ultimate slap in the face. That would make it dead on arrival. That's one of the charms of remasters that makes them attractive is that you (usually) get all available DLC content for one price.

Yes, they need to pay developers and such, but once again you're thinking of this as an AAA title and not a niche title like it would be. It's not some thing that would get a huge marketing budget, because it's not something that would likely be worth it. I certainly believe that a Mass Effect trilogy uber edition pack would be a profitable venture. The development costs, while certainly not free, are not massive since they would likely porting the PC. Granted I am no expert, but I can tell you that porting from PC to these consoles is not a monumentally difficult task. Porting from PS3 to PS4 is considerably more difficult.

I found your comment about Halo MCC very interesting, because I have no idea what you mean by "what had happened" and how it relates to a Mass Effect trilogy. To my knowledge it sold reasonably well. If you're referring to the game being broken as all hell then fine. Halo MCC was buggy as hell, but it was also a MUCH larger and more difficult project than a Mass Effect trilogy port would ever be. HMCC required bringing together multiple engines, redesigning many assets (especially Halo 2) an online component, and an all new interface. It's not a very good comparison IMO. I think the Borderlands Handsome Collection is a more accurate comparison.

Your comment about Xbox One BC, means something but not a lot because it ignores the PS4, which has outsold the X1 by quite a bit. There is a market there and a rather large one. As for Xbox One, BC will certainly affect some sales, but people like me would buy it anyway for the graphical and performance improvements.

As for why EA may or may not do a remaster, I can't say, but I would take an educated guess that the number one reason is timing. As I stated in my previous posts it just doesn't make much sense to do it right now when we are 1.5 - 2 years away from release. It would make most sense to release it once the MEA hype starts to kick in when exposure would be at its maximum.

Other reasons are that they just may not want to.

By this reasoning, they should port it to iPads. I'm sure the graphics would improve- I know the resolution would.

diaspora

Umm what?

What the fuck does the iPad have to do with this?

The iPad has outsold the PS4 and the Xbox One by far. Given the superior hardware over the 360 and the huge resolution doing a remaster for iOS tablets only makes sense.

Right?

I'm saying your reasoning by using the PS4's sales is junk.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The iPad has outsold the PS4 and the Xbox One by far. Given the superior hardware over the 360 and the huge resolution doing a remaster for iOS tablets only makes sense.

Right?

I'm saying your reasoning by using the PS4's sales is junk.

People buy a PS4 to play games and only play games. I suppose there is some weirdo who might purchase one as a Netflix box, but whatever.

People buy IPads for a multitude of reasons and most are not doing it for game related functions.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't mind if a remaster doesn't happen at this point.

I wouldn't want to start the trophy lists over again for ME and ME2, I've only 100%'d ME3.

Hahs

I do kind of agree with the point above that releasing it this far in advance doesn't really add up. If Andromeda is a late 2016 game (which could easily be delayed to 2017) a remaster would make a lot more sense a bit closer to the game's release.
I could see this.

I could also see Bioware partnering with a third party dedicated to remastering the first 3 titles, while primary production continues on ME:A.

Depending on playstyle - it could easily take a 1/3 of the year or more year to go through those remasters - so technically if they did release them a few fiscal periods prior to the projected (ME:A) release date, it shouldn't be much of a financial detriment.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't mind if a remaster doesn't happen at this point.

I wouldn't want to start the trophy lists over again for ME and ME2, I've only 100%'d ME3.
Ironically, that's a big factor for me in the opposite direction! I'd love to platinum all three games again. Of course I wouldn't mind if they did away with much of the tedious ones from ME1. Specially those that require you to play a certain portion of the game with certain squadmates.

The worst trophy from ME3 was the 5000 kills trophy and some of the online only ones.

diaspora

People buy a PS4 to play games and only play games. I suppose there is some weirdo who might purchase one as a Netflix box, but whatever.

People buy IPads for a multitude of reasons and most are not doing it for game related functions.

That doesn't change that there's probably more people out there with iPads being used to play games if not exclusively than there are PS4s, by a wide margin by the sheer volume of those things out in the wild.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That doesn't change that there's probably more people out there with iPads being used to play games if not exclusively than there are PS4s, by a wide margin by the sheer volume of those things out in the wild.
I honestly think you're just trolling. You know full well what my argument was and that the iPad is totally irrelevant to the discussion of porting the Mass Effect trilogy to the iPad.
Discussion over.

diaspora

I honestly think you're just trolling. You know full well what my argument was and that the iPad is totally irrelevant to the discussion of porting the Mass Effect trilogy to the iPad.
Discussion over.
Your argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny. EA can either spend the money to port the series for the sake of one platform, or it could spend the money on existing titles and new IPs. "PS4 sales" breaks down almost immediately.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Was really hoping for a remaster but there is still time to announce one since the new Mass Effect won't be out until next Christmas. They can release it next January.

Your argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny. EA can either spend the money to port the series for the sake of one platform, or it could spend the money on existing titles and new IPs. "PS4 sales" breaks down almost immediately.
Yet Halo MCC and Uncharted collection exist as exclusives.

Point proven.

I win.

diaspora

Yet Halo MCC and Uncharted collection exist as exclusives.

Point proven.

I win.

First party, it's like you set yourself up for failure. The desperate port-begging is not a good look.

necro edit: They'd have to re-license UE3 too to make new games from it too no? Right now everything is running on Frostbite, they're not going to license an engine for one port.

Squire

Banned
What's the source for them losing the UE3 license? If you can't link to one, there's no point in mounting that argument.

What's the source for them losing the UE3 license? If you can't link to one, there's no point in mounting that argument.
I dunno if they lost the license or if EA just won't pay to extend it for a remaster, since they're switching everything to Frostbite because that's an in-house engine they own and can use without licensing fees.

diaspora

I'm asking if that could be a reason, not saying it's a statement of fact.
I dunno if they lost the license or if EA just won't pay to extend it for a remaster, since they're switching everything to Frostbite because that's an in-house engine they own and can use without licensing fees.
This too.

diaspora

Fair enough then. Sorry I misunderstood.
No problem. For what it's worth I don't think EA has had any UE games in development since they switched to Frostbite, they'd probably be more inclined to remake these games in Frostbite than license UE if they would need to renew it.

Daemul

Just finished ME3 again, and this EC slide showed what is probably the most karmic outcome in the history of the universe, the Rachni taking over Tuchanka.

tumblr_muh594qOJf1sfkw0no1_500.png

61Q9J7j.gif

It's completely glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom