• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I consider GamesCom a surer bet than N7day because it has a bigger reach and more coverage. I'm not a hardcore industry watcher but I sense EA has shortened it's PR cycles under Andrew Wilson (and in general tries to be more transparent about their development cycles) so I expect we won't have to wait long for something substantial.

In the past, BioWare used GamesCom to announce the release date of ME3 and last time they announced the late Shadow Realms. Unless they're going to roll out their new IP, Andromeda seems the likely spotlight.
Gamescom seems way too soon. I think the industry has finally caught on to the idea that showing games too soon can be detrimental. Watch Dogs and (to a much lesser extent) The Witcher 3 caught flack for being much different than their initial reveal. Fallout 4 being a recent example shows that publishers are moving towards announcing and showing games much closer to,release date. M

If you want my opinion, Bioware should go into lock down mode. Do not, talk about, tweet or show anything until we get reasonably close to release date.

Patryn

I think GI cover next year, with full details at E3 2016.

I consider GamesCom a surer bet than N7day because it has a bigger reach and more coverage. I'm not a hardcore industry watcher but I sense EA has shortened it's PR cycles under Andrew Wilson (and in general tries to be more transparent about their development cycles) so I expect we won't have to wait long for something substantial.

In the past, BioWare used GamesCom to announce the release date of ME3 and last time they announced the late Shadow Realms. Unless they're going to roll out their new IP, Andromeda seems the likely spotlight.

If they've shortened their PR cycles, that almost certainly rules out Gamescom, because that's over a year out from release.

so. while it's not totally relevant here, I'll just mention that it is ramadan, and I use the "uncharted worlds" theme as my alarm to wake up for my morning/dawn/before daylight feast, ceri. =]

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
FYI, I went into Gamestop and they had Mass Effect on 360 for $2.

I figured I would check that out to see how it works in terms on BC.

It works pretty well actually.

Patryn

FYI, I went into Gamestop and they had Mass Effect on 360 for $2.

I figured I would check that out to see how it works in terms on BC.

It works pretty well actually.

They're still working on it. Supposedly Digital Foundry did an analysis and found that in some parts it outperforms the 360, but in others the framerate dips into the single digits.

But Microsoft is claiming that by the time the BC is officially released (this Holiday), they will have it running at par with the 360, if not better.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They're still working on it. Supposedly Digital Foundry did an analysis and found that in some parts it outperforms the 360, but in others the framerate dips into the single digits.

But Microsoft is claiming that by the time the BC is officially released (this Holiday), they will have it running at par with the 360, if not better.

I didn't do much with it. I just put the disc in.

I spent $2 for an experiment and I came away believing it may work.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Let no one ever again say that BioWare does not listen to their fans.
v2n6YqI.png

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/3995...s-ideas-on-a-new-mass-effect-game/?p=12456035

also something I said in the ramadan OT...I've been wearing my n7 hoodie to the masjid for tarabi, tonight will be my.. 3rd night I think? =]

Lots of people guessed going to another Galaxy as a way to distance the new games from the old narratives. I think it's a bit shite tbh though.
I'm ok with it mostly, actually pretty excited. ME3 wrapped up the trilogy, there's just no reason to continue to beat that dead horse. I've seen a lot of people say they want to see the repercussions and consequences of their decisions, but that means continuing to go back to that arc, those characters, that narrative...it means continuing to just drag that story forward. It's done with...

The way it's left off is satisfying to me, time for a new galaxy. I feel pretty good personally :)

Lots of people guessed going to another Galaxy as a way to distance the new games from the old narratives. I think it's a bit shite tbh though.
agreed, I think..
I'm ok with it mostly, actually pretty excited. ME3 wrapped up the trilogy, there's just no reason to continue to beat that dead horse. I've seen a lot of people say they want to see the repercussions and consequences of their decisions, but that means continuing to go back to that arc, those characters, that narrative...it means continuing to just drag that story forward. It's done with...

The way it's left off is satisfying to me, time for a new galaxy. I feel pretty good personally :)
I think the fact that we're getting a new cast & main character is great, but but there's still so much of the milky way that is unexplored. in fact, the fact that the series kept the setting confined to the galaxy added a level of realism to it imo.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

At the end of the day it is what it is. A new galaxy is what we are getting.

Might as well see what they can come up with.

Just please, please, please don't somehow try and create a crazy supervillian that outclasses the Reapers.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
At the end of the day it is what it is. A new galaxy is what we are getting.

Might as well see what they can come up with.

Just please, please, please don't somehow try and create a crazy supervillian that outclasses the Reapers.

I don't think we can worry about this... I mean, how can you outclass a villain such as an army of gigantic, almost invincible, robots who kills and harvest everything in their sight?

Patryn

I don't we can worry about this... I mean, how can you outclass a villain such as an army of gigantic, almost invincible, robots who kills and harvest everything in their sight?

The problem is them trying and failing.

I'm already a little wary about the whole Remnant thing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Say, have they ever explained how people can actually travel to other galaxy? I mean at least on the ME trilogy's timeframe people can just zap around milky way due to the presence of Mass Relays scattered around. Traveling to whole other galaxy is on a different level of ballpark, I imagine.

Also kind of funny to see if we have another Reaper-like entity on Andromeda.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Say, have they ever explained how people can actually travel to other galaxy? I mean at least on the ME trilogy's timeframe people can just zap around milky way due to the presence of Mass Relays scattered around. Traveling to whole other galaxy is on a different level of ballpark, I imagine.

There are tons of possibilities but its likely that they used the relays some, since its been reported to start before the end of mass effect 3. Who's to say they dont embark on a multi-1000 year journey to get to Andromeda?

Patryn

My personal guess it that they will have discovered a stable wormhole somewhere.

It's always the go-to answer for when you need to get some far fast in sci-fi.

Patryn

That or a 1000+ year journey using space magic cryogenics.

If they did this, there could be an interesting twist where the Remnants were actually a different expedition from the Council Races that made it to Andromeda first through space magic, raised a civilization, and then fell.

diaspora

If they did this, there could be an interesting twist where the Remnants were actually a different expedition from the Council Races that made it to Andromeda first through space magic, raised a civilization, and then fell.
That's... Not a bad idea actually. I'm a bit annoyed now since anything else they come up with won't be as interesting as this.

Edit: I mean it's just Planet of the Apes sure but...

dorq

Neo Member
Remnant? Interesting that one of the definitions is..

"a small minority of people who will remain faithful to God and so be saved (in allusion to biblical prophecies concerning Israel)."

So perhaps..

"a small bunch of survivors who remain servants of Leviathan/Reapers (or insert new bad guy) and believe that their return to Andromeda will usher in their salvation"

Patryn

Remnant? Interesting that one of the definitions is..

"a small minority of people who will remain faithful to God and so be saved (in allusion to biblical prophecies concerning Israel)."

So perhaps..

"a small bunch of survivors who remain servants of Leviathan/Reapers (or insert new bad guy) and believe that their return to Andromeda will usher in their salvation"

I feel like you're stretching here. Odds are that it just means that it's the last vestiges of a previous civilization.

I'll continue to go on the record stating that I do not expect the Reapers or Leviathans to feature heavily beyond being invoked as to why the expedition was being sent in the first place.

This game is a new start. Mass Effect sells well, but it is not as popular as most people think. Dragon Age regularly outsells it.

I doubt they want to burden it with that much stuff from the original trilogy.

diaspora

I feel like you're stretching here. Odds are that it just means that it's the last vestiges of a previous civilization.

I'll continue to go on the record stating that I do not expect the Reapers or Leviathans to feature heavily beyond being invoked as to why the expedition was being sent in the first place.

This game is a new start. Mass Effect sells well, but it is not as popular as most people think. Dragon Age regularly outsells it.

I doubt they want to burden it with that much stuff from the original trilogy.

Good, it has better lore and foreshadowing.
But seriously though, I thought it was the opposite with the exception of Origins.

Patryn

But seriously though, I thought it was the opposite with the exception of Origins.

Bioware was saying that DA:I was their "most successful launch ever." That implies to me that it sold better than the Mass Effect games, at least initially.

DA2 is the exception.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Mass Effect has one reasonably well, but by no means it is a blockbuster franchise.

Last I read, the Uncharted series which is playstation exclusive has outsold the ME series.

Mass Effect may just be a case of a series that has a few fans, but are a VERY vocal minority.

Still if there was ever a video game story that deserves its own book, its the development of the Mass Effect series, how it changed, and how Hudson and Walters so badly fumbled the ball in coming up with the ending for ME3. I would read that in a hurry.

I'm excited about the new galaxy, if only because I'm a sucker for the whole frontier/space gunslinger concept. Having the entire galaxy be uncharted could be really cool.

Maledict

I'm excited about the new galaxy, if only because I'm a sucker for the whole frontier/space gunslinger concept. Having the entire galaxy be uncharted could be really cool.

Just as long as they agree never to use Johnny Cash, or indeed *any*, Country and / or Western music in the game again...

The trailer was god awful with that choice.

Just as long as they agree never to use Johnny Cash, or indeed *any*, Country and / or Western music in the game again...

The trailer was god awful with that choice.

You are categorically, absolutely, indisputably insane.

The men in white coats are on their way right now.

X-Frame

As someone who's played and re-played the Trilogy on the 360 numerous times, I'm thinking about diving into the PS3 version from scratch and going through it all again.

How do the PS3 ports compare to the 360 version? Is ME1 the same between both consoles? No differences between ME2 and 3? Thanks!

I don't get it, maybe I need to read that article more diligently but how can there already be humans in andromeda? I mean I guess there can be humans on other planets but I didn't ME was gonna be that type of scifi.

I thought Me4 was gonna take place so far into the future that all we could say about shepard would be "the shepard".

EDIT: the amount of posts in this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI

wolfhowwl

Banned
I don't get it, maybe I need to read that article more diligently but how can there already be humans in andromeda? I mean I guess there can be humans on other planets but I didn't ME was gonna be that type of scifi.

I thought Me4 was gonna take place so far into the future that all we could say about shepard would be "the shepard".

EDIT: the amount of posts in this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI

Maybe several ark ships were sent out to prevent extinction at the hands of the reapers and some got there WAY ahead of others due to time dilation and the means of travel.

The ME universe already has FTL, so a 1000+ year journey wouldn't feel like a 1000+ year journey to those in your ship.

In the trilogy they got past the issues of time dilation by making mass effect drives and relays that used space magic to circumvent physics. But if council races were trying to escape the Reapers, they'd need to use engines not based on Reaper tech in order to make them more difficult to track, right?

Or maybe engine trouble hit your ship but not the others, so the other ships got there a lot faster but your ship due to damage/loss of fuel and need to modify the engine output for fuel efficiency/some other plot device had to deal with time dilation. You arrive 1000 years after the rest of the fleet and see the remnants of the civilization they tried to build.

Edit: just read that article and timeline. If that's true and the Ark was a Prothean machine then the Remnants could be of Prothean descent.

I'm not alone in that one. Maybe it has a different resonance to someone from the States, but it is utterly wrong for the setting and the ME tone.
I think its a great choice all around, and I think it has a dual purpose. The lyrics refrain is "shadow riders in the sky". In the context of old westerns or in trying to decipher meaning from Cash's lyrics, "shadow riders in the sky" might be spiritual, powerful, god-like, scary. The song sets the explorer tone thru its western context and the lyrics foreshadow the arrival of the ark from a natives' perspective. Maybe they arrive upon a species who is not technologically a advanced, who thinks them Gods?

BioWare ‏@bioware
Commander Shepard, Pluto is in range. Send out probe? #PlutoFlyby

Mass Effect ‏@masseffect
Can you bring us in a little closer, Joker?

8dtku2d5ou7di5p1pwuv.jpg

lol :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom