• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I don't think it can be argued that DA:I is a drastic overhaul of the series, especially after DA2.
Only in terms of visuals and huge open maps, and as I've said before - everything else is by a billion miles better in DAO, especially when it comes to way better written quests, dialogues, story, characters etc.

Just because you don't like the changes they made doesn't mean they didn't make changes.
Am I the only one who do not see a connection here with everything I've said about DAI? You completely misunderstood me. It's not that they didn't make changes, they did, and I know that, the problem is that most of these changes is bad or even worse.

However you can at least take heart in knowing that it's a different team working on ME:A
Um, yeah, about that....

The majority of the Inquisition team are about 2/3rds working on Andromeda and 1/3rd on the new project.

https://twitter.com/mike_laidlaw/status/767092889679560704

and they've said that they won't be the same as DA:I.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Patryn

Only in terms of visuals and huge open maps, and as I've said before - everything else is by a billion miles better in DAO, especially when it comes to way better written quests, dialogues, story, characters etc.

I made no comment about the quality of changes, simply that they made changes, which is an indisputable fact. I'm also uncertain what DAO has to do with this, considering we're only talking about the changes made to the series between DA2 and DA:I in response to the myriad of criticisms about DA2.

Um, yeah, about that....

Yes, Bioware has moved to an Ubi situation, but the team leads (i.e. the people who will make the major decisions on gameplay and the like) are not shared, as I understand things. The shared people are the ones working the metaphorical assembly line.

On another note, the new trailer they released today finally cements the timeline for Andromeda:
Sounds like it'll take place possibly around the year 2800, based on the 600 year comment

Um, yeah, about that....

Mass Effect: Andromeda is being developed at BioWare Montreal as the core studio. BioWare Edmonton (DAI, new IP) and BioWare Austin are providing support roles in Mass Effect's development. BioWare games are worked on by all the studios now.

Gameplay design, choices, and direction are helmed by Montreal leaders, not Edmonton.

Ralemont

not me

As Patryn pointed out, the argument isn't "these changes were made and it improved the game" but rather that you said BioWare wouldn't listen to criticism and just make space Inquisition. Looking at their recent history of games, one game to the next tends to be very different, and different based on the criticisms of the previous game. For example, DA2's combat is a result of people on console thinking DAO's combat was shit (which it was on console) and Inquisition's zones and story are a result of the environmental complaints and feelings of PC impotence that DA2 had. You can see the same progression with ME1 > ME2, with the removal of the Mako and tightening of gameplay space, along with vastly improved characters and a reworked combat system; all complaints about the first Mass Effect. Mass Effect 2 was then criticized for streamlining the gameplay too much, so ME3 reintroduced some needed depth and nuance to build and combat variety.

Basically what I'm saying is that if BioWare took Mass Effect 2 criticism and implemented change in ME3 accordingly (Mass Effect 2 being an almost universally praised game, or as close to it as RPGs can get) then why would they ignore the louder complaints about Inquisition, either in Andromeda or the next Dragon Age? About the only thing you can guarantee about BioWare going back to Baldur's Gate 1 is that their next game WON'T be like the last one, lol.

Right. I forgot not everyone can easily replay them unless they have a PC or still hold onto their old consoles.

I have a copy of Me3 for Ps3 but I honestly don't enjoy that game. I fucking lost my precious copy of Me2 like an asshole. I could go ahead and buy the trilogy again on Ps3, but...I don't want to invest in my Ps3 anymore. I got a Ps4, that's where I play games going forward and I'd pay full price for a remaster of all the games without hesitation..

Patryn

If we're talking about response to criticisms of previous games, let me just say that I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaally curious to see what the ending of Andromeda will be.

I recall reading that they're paying extra attention to it, for obvious reasons.

Lexxon

I'm all in. Tell me how much the deluxe costs, put it on sale at Best Buy or Amazon Prime with 20% off, and I'm buying the PC version. JUST DO IT.

I'm early on in my ME2 playthrough, doing my first trilogy playthrough since my first ME3 playthrough at launch. Excited to see where the series goes with Andromeda!

diaspora

If we're talking about response to criticisms of previous games, let me just say that I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaally curious to see what the ending of Andromeda will be.

I recall reading that they're paying extra attention to it, for obvious reasons.

I don't honestly know how it got so monumentally shithouse when the DA series generally has had consistently solid endings.

people always put Me3 on a pedestal in terms of gameplay but I still profess Me2 king in terms of gameplay, story, fuckin everything.

The one thing in gameplay in Me3 that I appreciated was unlimited sprint.

also speaking of Andromeda, I thought this was supposed to be the first of a new trilogy?

I wonder if Andromeda will get a little philosophical in its storytelling and sidemissions knowing that it takes place 600 years later.

What does it mean to be human or even part of the Alliance in a future without Earth, its government, or most of your family/relatives?

Will the lack of the Citadel Council conventions and no knowledge of the Reapers lead the races of the Arks to pursue AI technology with all its dangers?

Do the old race hatreds of Krogan/Turian/Salarian still exist, and what future do the Krogan face without a cure for the genophage in Andromeda?

Will races chart their own course or will a "new-andromeda" council be formed?

This is the stuff I want to know and explore. I expect a lot of world/universe building in this game.

diaspora

I wonder if Andromeda will get a little philosophical in its storytelling and sidemissions knowing that it takes place 600 years later.

What does it mean to be human or even part of the Alliance in a future without Earth, its government, or most of your family/relatives?

Will the lack of the Citadel Council conventions and no knowledge of the Reapers lead the races of the Arks to pursue AI technology with all its dangers?

Do the old race hatreds of Krogan/Turian/Salarian still exist, and what future do the Krogan face without a cure for the genophage in Andromeda?

Will races chart their own course or will a "new-andromeda" council be formed?

This is the stuff I want to know and explore. I expect a lot of world/universe building in this game.
IMO the original trilogy was a little philosophical in its storytelling with the the Rachni, Krogan, and Geth. The problem is they failed to explore the philosophical themes behind the singularity when it came to the main arc with the reapers.

edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the question of the singularity itself isn't really well explored at all IMO and there's a lack of general debate around the question of personhood.

IMO the original trilogy was a little philosophical in its storytelling with the the Rachni, Krogan, and Geth. The problem is they failed to explore the philosophical themes behind the singularity when it came to the main arc with the reapers.

edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the question of the singularity itself isn't really well explored at all IMO and there's a lack of general debate around the question of personhood.

i came up with a backstory to the reapers but it'd come off as a bit controversial

The Reapers don't need much more of a back story imo, it boils down to the Leviathans reaching the singularity first.

well if they're given a backstory they need a good one. but if they don't, they don't. people did wonder why they came in the shape of a cuttlefish but that ain't all that important i guess. they did look damn menacing.

Patryn

If speculation is correct, then not only would at least the people in charge know about the Reapers, but they'd be the reason for the Arks in the first place.

Also, the people in the Arks would know about the Geth, so they already have a textbook case for why AI research is a bad idea.

If speculation is correct, then not only would at least the people in charge know about the Reapers, but they'd be the reason for the Arks in the first place.

Also, the people in the Arks would know about the Geth, so they already have a textbook case for why AI research is a bad idea.

We don't know the true purpose of the andromeda expedition so far. Everything is speculation. Leaks or not. As of the ending of ME1 everything is covered up. The initiative seems to be a public program whenever it occurs so I very much doubt the public has any major knowledge of the dangers of reapers or AI beyond geth which isnt much. Time is cyclical as we've learned and sooner or later the races of andromeda will repeat the pattern. It's enivitable.

This is all from that old Reddit leak from last year right? I think that's what the speculation was

I'm just hoping that the game easily reaches 600+ hours worth of fresh content and the ending of the base game is left ambiguous.

After that I hope they release episodic content that continues the main story & side stories, along with 20+ hours of fresh content with each episode.

DOWN

Banned
I'm just hoping that the game easily reaches 600+ hours worth of fresh content and the ending of the base game is left ambiguous.

After that I hope they release episodic content that continues the main story & side stories, along with 20+ hours of fresh content with each episode.
This post is incredibly bizarre

DevilDog

IF YOU HAVE SPOILERS FROM LEAKED STUFF, USE SPOILER TAGS. thanks for the attention.

Sigh. Fuck you EA, fuck you very much. 1

Fuck you EA you rushed ME3
Fuck you EA you delayed MEA.

Here's what, delaying a game for a few months can be a very important thing, since it can make the game feel incredibly more polished in that small timeframe.
Learn from history.
This literally states that if the studio is having problems, they are open to delays. You know, to avoid an ME3 situation.

Patryn

diaspora

If this game isn't coming out in March, I'm not buying it at all, you don't get too piss around like this and still get my money.

If this game isn't coming out in March, I'm not buying it at all, you don't get too piss around like this and still get my money.

Nah, my loyalty was sorely tested with the baffling ME3 ending.... and yet here I am. Some delay shenanigans won't even move the needle on my Mass Effect love.

Still my most anticipated title.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Right. Someone like you who post almost daily in this thread?
We'll see you a few days/weeks/months after launch lol.

diaspora

Right. Someone like you who post almost daily in this thread?
We'll see you a few days/weeks/months after launch lol.
We're talking a year+ once all the DLC is out, like the Inquisition GOTY edition.

Edit: I'd compare it to Star Citizen but at least I can play Star Citizen.

Possibility that Mass Effect Andromeda could be delayed despite the marketing push starting this month

I don't know how many more E3's I can survive seeing this game but not being able to play it.

I'm dying here.

Damn you Shinobi, for getting my hopes up!

Anyway, we're not there yet. I suppose it's still possible that it'll be released on schedule, but as I said previously, considering how flexible this industry regards release dates, I'm putting my money on this being delayed, if not significantly delayed.

A delayed game will always end up better than a game rushed out, but still...

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Seems it's time again to pull out that good ol' cliched but tried and true quote about delays from Miyamoto again :)

I can understand people annoyed or frustrated by delays, but it's not like there's nothing else out there to play meanwhile. And if there's really nothing else you wanna play in between, surely there's something to watch, read or do as an alternative. You're not permanently robbed of filling your free time in a pleasant way. You're not entitled to the game releasing at a certain point.

diaspora

Seems it's time again to pull out that good ol' cliched but tried and true quote about delays from Miyamoto again :)

I can understand people annoyed or frustrated by delays, but it's not like there's nothing else out there to play meanwhile. And if there's really nothing else you wanna play in between, surely there's something to watch, read or do as an alternative. You're not permanently robbed of filling your free time in a pleasant way. You're not entitled to the game releasing at a certain point.
nobody said they were.

Ralemont

not me
I think people are overreacting a bit. The question was basically "will you delay MEA if necessary?" and EA responded "Yes we will delay MEA if necessary but its currently on track." They may or may not delay it but I wouldn't panic yet.

delay shmelay. we've been waiting a good goddamn while but if it gets delayed again then that's that...Q1 2017 is too crowded anyway. Tekken 7, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn...

anyways, about Me4, I feel like if the game's story is not that good but the gameplay & all the other shit is top notch, it'll still be subject to critical acclaim.

anyways, about Me4, I feel like if the game's story is not that good but the gameplay & all the other shit is top notch, it'll still be subject to critical acclaim.

I've concluded that much what made the trilogy's story work is the solid dramatic foundation set up by the first game. ME1 introduced all the major arcs, themes and world building in such a way that the sequels could expand on it.

If they want to recapture the magic, Andromeda needs to do a lot of legwork in the story department. Not sure 'good enough' is going to cut it here and I'd be disappointed if it's a flimsy plot held together by great character moments like ME2 or ME3.

Franchise really needs a strong narrative base to build from.

I've concluded that much what made the trilogy's story work is the solid dramatic foundation set up by the first game. ME1 introduced all the major arcs, themes and world building in such a way that the sequels could expand on it.

If they want to recapture the magic, Andromeda needs to do a lot of legwork in the story department. Not sure 'good enough' is going to cut it here and I'd be disappointed if it's a flimsy plot held together by great character moments like ME2 or ME3.

that's the burden of all first installments that are meant to turn into franchises. ME did it so, so, so well.

I started on Me2 so I wasn't familiar with most of or any of the shit when I first started playing but I caught on. It made playing Me1 familiar territory, of course.

Anyways, as for the "good enough" shit you're talking about, I agree, but isn't Me4 supposed to be the start of a new trilogy?

Oh, who's this? :)

iv58cGM.png

DevilDog

You mean how the story in the trilogy didn't work.

After ME2 and 3, i doubt Bioware have the capacity to write epic stories.

I love this franchise,I can't wait to play the next entry,but Mass Effect 3 was a disappointment,still a good game,but not what fans deserved.I am a little skeptical if can match the same quality of the first trilogy,I hope so.

Yeul

That character looks excellent! Can't wait to see how the character creator turns out. I hope there isn't much disparity between the premade characters and the custom ones like there tends to be.

I assume the search for a "Golden World" is what will become the home planet for humanity.

How strange it would be to grow up on a planet that is your homeworld but not the origin of your species. Deep down you'll always know your true place belongs on Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom