• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That level is cool because it's one of the few where the environment is actually hazardous.

Hoping for more scenarios where heat, cold, wind, radiation, chemicals, e.t.c. are a factor in Andromeda. I understand for a game of large scope it can't be too involved, but just even having more generic zones where you lose health if you stay too long would be neat.

They played with this a bit in one of ME3 MP DLC. Acid rains, blizzards, swarms. It was a nice addition. Can't wait to see what they do now.

Welp. I mean it sense but still.

I'm playing as BroRyder first, give him a custom first name and keeping SisRyder with her default name.

I'm not too bothered being referred to as "Ryder" "Pathfinder" or "Bro". I don't like the name Scott at all, no offense to anyone with that name.

Still really curious as to why we have names for both human companions but have yet to see them without their helmets. Apparently Cora is a biotic as well? I did not know this.

Cora-mass-effect-andromeda.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just for marketing purposes probably. And maybe finalizing designs.

I am sure we will get squadmate-specific trailers. "Meet so-and-so in the exciting new Mass Effect™ Andromeda."

UberLevi

I always thought it would be cool if Mass Effect had class specific dialogue options, like Mages in Dragon Age. Now that classes are out I hope they at least add Tech Knowledge and Biotic Knowledge skills to invest in kind of like the unlockable studies in Inquisition. Would be neat for more characters to acknowledge the type of playstyle you exhibit like in ME3 when Liara is showing Shepard the time capsule, also.

Maledict

It does, but very rarely. If you are a biotic I know Kaiden in ME1 will reference it, and it comes up in some dialogue sections in ME2 / 3 as well. Nothing like dragon age does of course.

Sub_Level

That's a nice detail. I'm pretty sure Omega has the player kill as many Cerberus troops as during the whole game. And that's saying a lot cuz the game has a LOT of Cerberus enemies.

Garlador

Still really curious as to why we have names for both human companions but have yet to see them without their helmets. Apparently Cora is a biotic as well? I did not know this.

Cora-mass-effect-andromeda.jpg

I wonder if their faces are based on a celebrity or something, like Miranda's was.

I can imagine Bioware doing that kind of reveal, where the helmet lifts up and, poof, it's Jennifer Lawrence or something (or, more realistically, someone from TV...)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Omega has such great combat encounters. Montreal did a stand up job there.

Sub_Level

Just got past Rannoch. The part at the end with 3 Geth Primes was ridiculous. Didn't help that I only had 2 medigel. Many, many retries were taken.

I don't know what to expect anymore.

From the marketing?

I dunno, there's still a lot I want to know but I think the trickle of info has been pretty reasonable for the past few weeks, especially post-game awards. We've been getting a lot of interviews and a new Andromeda Initiative video every 3 or so weeks.

I've been following a lot of the VO talent and devs working on the game on twitter and it's been interesting to learn things about gamedev through vague tweets. For example, they did a lot of stuff for the sex scenes lately. The twitter chatter between Tom Taylorson (Scott Ryder) and the devs has given me a good chuckle.

Interesting things learned in that interview for sure.

- The Codex isn't narrated like the trilogy because there's an overwhelming and changing amount of written content as the story evolves.

- Possible conflict between Vetra and Peebee. Maybe Vetra is more of the serious hardened Turian than people were expecting.

- People expecting an near-identical soundtrack style to that of the trilogy might be disappointed. He says that since the trilogy released a lot of sci-fi music has drawn inspiration from theirs and they want to again push the envelope. He did say that there will be familiar elements to it.

I also didn't want to post in that Eurogamer interview thread but it seems implied that something bad or catastrophic happens to all or almost all of the four main arks.

Annihilation is coming in the summer by Catherine M. Valente. Initiation NK Jemisin's -- that one's arriving in the fall.

http://screenrant.com/mass-effect-andromeda-books/
IIRC, neither of these two authors have ever done scifi, and one of them hates scifi for supposedly being "non-diverse," especially Heinlein... the guy who made a Filipino the protagonist of his most famous novel, Starship Troopers.

So brace yourself for potentially ME: Deception/Karen Traviss novel tier garbage.

Even if the books aren't that great we can at least expect Nexus Uprising in March to give us a solid lore drop. Particularly on the whole Andromeda Initiative and what happens to set up the first game and the Nexus. That's all I really want even if the writing is mediocre.

One of the books authors (Jason M Hough) posts on the Mass Effect subreddit. He seems like a big fan of the series so I'm confident that he at least knows what's what.

In other news that concert premiering the main theme to Andromeda was tonight in Montreal. There were a few people in the subreddit who happened to attend and this is what one person said about it:

So, MEA's theme sounds a lot like a mix of a hopeful version of Leaving Earth and a bit of DAI's The Dawn Will Come' music. All in all, I think it was very fitting for a game about a careful and hopeful beginnings that breaks away from ME's battles

For those who don't know what tracks he's referring to:

Leaving Earth

The Dawn Will Come

Intriguing to say the least. Definitely seems like it's gonna be tonally different than what we expected.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man that Dawn Will Come sequence in Inquisition is so bad.

Renekton

I've been following a lot of the VO talent and devs working on the game on twitter and it's been interesting to learn things about gamedev through vague tweets. For example, they did a lot of stuff for the sex scenes lately. The twitter chatter between Tom Taylorson (Scott Ryder) and the devs has given me a good chuckle.
Hm I was half-expecting Bioware to remove sex scenes altogether and go with "implied offscreen consummating".

I won't say no to Vetra though.

Yeul

I get what they were going for with the Dawn Will Come sequence, but man, Solas in the background looking like wtf are they doing was also my reaction. I was like "I feel you, Solas...I feel you..".

EatChildren

I get what they were going for with the Dawn Will Come sequence, but man, Solas in the background looking like wtf are they doing was also my reaction. I was like "I feel you, Solas...I feel you..".

Like yeah, I get it. But it's so, so, so kitschy and dorky; your band of warriors coming together with the power of song to see through the hard times. It's just so contextually offputting, and made worse by BioWare's rigid animations on full display.

Yeul

Like yeah, I get it. But it's so, so, so kitschy and dorky; your band of warriors coming together with the power of song to see through the hard times. It's just so contextually offputting, and made worse by BioWare's rigid animations on full display.

What's funny is they patched Cullen's o-face as he sung because they too realized it was bad.

And nobody stealth recorded it ?

I don't like leaks usually... but leak that theme right now !

Believe me I really want to hear it as well but I think a smartphone recording of an Orchestra would probably sound pretty bad. I'm sure someone did record it though, it's only a matter of time before it pops up on youtube.

EDIT: A curious find via the ME subreddit too, someone did some CSI'esque magnification of the latest Ark and Nexus video and they think they may have spotted evidence of Quarians or something that looks oddly Quarian in stance.

Hard to tell Thoughts?

4z9SLOQ.png

Sou Da

What's funny is they patched Cullen's o-face as he sung because they too realized it was bad.

Honestly the worst part is that it's somehow less weirder than Leiliana's camp singing scene in Origins.

I dunno, looks more like the new race that we saw in the trailer than a Quarian. Wake me up when they bring Drell back.

I can't see the similarities with the new race we saw in the gameplay trailer myself. Whatever they're called (Angaran was a name dropped?) have a bulkier upper torso and look like a modified version of the Draenei from World of Warcraft.

5medzUuhBq5zKaAjL9yTGf-650-80.jpg

You can see the mask quarians wear overlapping part of the the armor in the screenshot and the body/legs look too slim to be anything else from the Milky Way. Also there's that distinctive hood that looks similar to the one Tali wore in Mass Effect 2/3.

I don't personally care if they are in the game but I thought the fact that someone noticed this in the video was neat since BioWare is being coy about what races are and aren't in Andromeda.

Yeul

Come on, it wasn't that ba-

KILL IT WITH FIRE
Andraste style.

This joke, I liked this joke.

I personally don't see the similarities with the new race we saw in the gameplay trailer. Whatever they're called (Angaran was a name dropped?) have a bulkier upper torso and look like a modified version of the Draenei from World of Warcraft.

5medzUuhBq5zKaAjL9yTGf-650-80.jpg

You can see the mask quarians wear overlapping part of the the armor in the screenshot and the body/legs look too slim to be anything else from the Milky Way. Also there's that distinctive hood that looks similar to the one Tali wore in Mass Effect 2/3.

I don't personally care if they are in the game but I thought the fact that someone noticed this in the video was neat since BioWare is being coy about what races are and aren't in Andromeda.

Yeah I mean it's so hard to tell because it's like a ZOOM ENHANCE x100 pixelated blob. They said that other races hopped onto the arks didn't they? So I'm sure we'll see some Quarians. If not in this game, then in DLC or a sequel. I'm sure they are trying to work in that balance of everything old is new again (original trilogy stuff) versus focusing on new races, etc. I need to see one of those new races (I guess Angaran like you said unless that's a different Andromeda race) in motion (cinematically), because in a still frame they look sort of like bipedal buff elephants without their trunk.

DevilDog

Come on, it wasn't that ba-

KILL IT WITH FIRE
Andraste style.
I played DAO for the first time a week ago, holy shit Lelianna's song animations will forever haunt me.

The worst part was that she sometimes used the "deafult ME animations"which made it the most scary thing in the game.

Wasn't there supposed to be something yesterday regarding the game main theme?

I talked about it a few posts back but yeah it premiered at a concert in Montreal last night. Only impressions since there's no leaked recordings but apparently it's different than what you'd think.

Also, I think we know who the main composer for the game is now. The guy who attended on reddit was asked who was credited for the track on the pamphlets and apparently it's John Paesano.

I looked him up on imdb and he's credited with the soundtracks for a variety of things including the Maze Runner movies, Marvels Daredevil TV Show, and a bunch of other smaller projects/shows. You'll also notice on his twitter page he's retweeted the trailer for Mass Effect: Andromeda so I feel like that's all but confirmed.

I won't commit to being disappointed but Clint Mansell's tracks were my least favourite in the Mass Effect 3 soundtrack and I was hoping they'd go back to using more in-house talent. However if the music for the Andromeda Initiative videos and the gameplay trailer are any indication I think things might be ok the music front.

Sub_Level

Just touched ME3 multiplayer for the first time in years. It's still pretty damn satisfying to play.

No problem finding a lobby either. (on pc btw)

JeffG

So I'm sure we'll see some Quarians. If not in this game, then in DLC or a sequel..

Story wise...Why?

Why would quarians go to another galaxy to find a home when they are still trying to get their original back.

For the Krogan, I could see a cult like group volunteering to be the military force. A story line where they think they can find a cure in a new galaxy

Each group could have some interesting reasons to be there.

Yeul

Story wise...Why?

Why would quarians go to another galaxy to find a home when they are still trying to get their original back.

For the Krogan, I could see a cult like group volunteering to be the military force. A story line where they think they can find a cure in a new galaxy

Each group could have some interesting reasons to be there.

Story wise I don't know, it's not like I have all of the answers. Otherwise, because they are popular? I'm sure they'd come up with some reason as to why some would come. Quarians aren't even my favorite race so I have no stake in it.

EDIT:
I played DAO for the first time a week ago, holy shit Lelianna's song animations will forever haunt me.

The worst part was that she sometimes used the "deafult ME animations"which made it the most scary thing in the game.

Not as scary as this, but also...I feel this on a deep level (kinda spoilers for people who haven't played DA:I in here):

Sub_Level

All the ME3 multiplayer DLC is free. And it's easy to download. And it's pretty substantial.

I'm so late to the party on this. I missed out.

kj0QaHq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom