• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Playing ME3... is there any other sidequest other than Grimsom Academy that has to be completed ASAP? I'm thinking of leaving most sidequests on the side before Kaidan join... just to see what he has to say in them. Will sidequests available before the Citadel attack still be there after for example?

Playing ME3... is there any other sidequest other than Grimsom Academy that has to be completed ASAP? I'm thinking of leaving most sidequests on the side before Kaidan join... just to see what he has to say in them. Will sidequests available before the Citadel attack still be there after for example?

Grissom Academy is one, the others are the Tuchanka Bomb side-missions (The Primarch's Son) before curing the genophage or they go away.

The final set of progression sensitive side-missions are the Geth Fighter Squadron mission and Rescuing Admiral Koris mission. You have to do those before attacking the Reaper Base on Rannoch.

Otherwise the only other content with a timer is a bunch of the Citadel "Collect this item for War Assets" missions which you have to do and return to the Citadel before Priority Tuchanka's finale.

Garlador

Grissom Academy is one, the others are the Tuchanka Bomb side-missions (The Primarch's Son) before curing the genophage or they go away.

The final set of progression sensitive side-missions are the Geth Fighter Squadron mission and Rescuing Admiral Koris mission. You have to do those before attacking the Reaper Base on Rannoch.

Otherwise the only other content with a timer is a bunch of the Citadel "Collect this item for War Assets" missions which you have to do and return to the Citadel before Priority Tuchanka's finale.

I still am upset with myself that Grissom Academy was time-sensitive and I was going "where did it go?... what do mean I missed it?!"

Though I am impressed they had an alternate fate for Jack... even if there's barely any time spent on it, even if you romanced her. Would have loved to have seen the concept expand a bit, even if few people would see it.
phantom_jack_wip_by_andrewryanart-d5ziwl2.jpg

Same thing happened with Morinth. Glad they gave her SOME closure if you picked her, even if it's not much...

Renekton

I remember you gotta do Miranda's side thing early or she dies later.

Big Nikus

Though I am impressed they had an alternate fate for Jack... even if there's barely any time spent on it, even if you romanced her. Would have loved to have seen the concept expand a bit, even if few people would see it.

Same thing happened with Morinth. Glad they gave her SOME closure if you picked her, even if it's not much...

Interesting.
I'll need to do one last playthrough to test the things I usually don't. Like picking Morinth.

I think maybe if they had more time it might've been a bit more fleshed out. I can envision some kind of alternate story outcome where if you fail to save Jack in time she becomes that Cerberus Phantom and works alongside Kai Leng to stop you.

It'd be a stupendously unfortunate series of events though, she escapes Cerberus as a child to later join forces with Cerberus and Shepard, to then again break away from Cerberus and then finally becomes one of their indoctrinated pawns.

I remember you gotta do Miranda's side thing early or she dies later.

Yep, you have to talk to Miranda after the Cerberus Attack on the Citadel in the Spectre Terminals area and warn her about Kai Leng or she dies at Sanctuary.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
There are at least 3 emails where Miranda asks you to meet her in ME3. Very annoying.

I didn't mind on my first playthrough since my shep was romancing her. But when I was playing a character who wasn't romancing her, it became very evident she was afforded a level of exposure most other ME2 squadmates weren't lol.

DevilDog

There are at least 3 emails where Miranda asks you to meet her in ME3. Very annoying.

I didn't mind on my first playthrough since my shep was romancing her. But when I was playing a character who wasn't romancing her, it became very evident she was afforded a level of exposure most other ME2 squadmates weren't lol.

It's rather important to meet with her, if you don't she can die.

Maledict

I, fairly sure that all the old crewmate missions in me3 are time sensitive and will vanish after a while. Am sure Samara's will go if you leave it as well.

Was casually browsing youtube to see if the main theme from the concert had been uploaded at all by someone and instead I fell down a rabbit hole of people taking the music from trailers so far and separating the dialogue to make them more listenable.

My favourite has to be the gameplay trailer soundtrack but slowed down. The synth is more noticeable at a slower speed, goosebumps to say the least. I'm expecting the soundtrack for the game to be godtier if this and the Nexus videos are example of what we can expect.

The Mass Effect community always finds ways to impress.

DevilDog

Was casually browsing youtube to see if the main theme from the concert had been uploaded at all by someone and instead I fell down a rabbit hole of people taking the music from trailers so far and separating the dialogue to make them more listenable.

My favourite has to be the gameplay trailer soundtrack but slowed down. The synth is more noticeable at a slower speed, goosebumps to say the least. I'm expecting the soundtrack for the game to be godtier if this and the Nexus videos are example of what we can expect.

The Mass Effect community always finds ways to impress.

That sounds very nice. A bit too much like "IN YOUR FACE SPACE EPIC TRAILER ELECTRONIC AWESOME ORCHESTRAL OPERA" but I'm betting we will have some more subtle ones.

That sounds very nice. A bit too much like "IN YOUR FACE SPACE EPIC TRAILER ELECTRONIC AWESOME ORCHESTRAL OPERA" but I'm betting we will have some more subtle ones.

Well to be fair the video isn't a one-for-one representation of the trailer music. He/she has taken a little liberty mixing it a bit towards the end (the part I suspect you weren't a fan of) and slowing it down in some parts but mostly everything is as it was in the trailer.

I'm just a fan of the ME1 Synth/Interstellar space epic vibe they seem to be going for. Assuming this is in-fact John Paesano's work, I feel like everything is in good hands.

Yeul

I like that little bit at 2:24 with the piano. Yeah the whole thing it's super dramatic, but it does sound pretty cool in general. I'm interested to hear more. DA:I had its punchy instrumentals in places but I absolutely loved its score. Provided the dramatic pieces are placed in the right scene, it can do a lot emotionally à la Suicide Mission.

Patryn

Turns out that despite me checking on everyone after every OTHER mission, I somehow missed the Liara/Javik confrontation after Thessia, so I missed the drunk Tali berating Javik scene. Shame, maybe I'll catch it next time.

Other thought: The drunk Tali scene really doesn't work if Miranda has survived, because it's so clearly supposed to be Tali mourning her, but she's fine in my game.

I know this point has been hammered home a ton, but it's really hitting me again: It's interesting how despite ME2 being a game all about gathering a squad and making you care about them, not a single squadmember created for ME2 is playable in ME3, barring the Citadel combat challenges. I really wonder if anyone at Bioware brought up that point.

Meanwhile, as of Citadel, the entirety of your ME1 squad is available. That cracks me up.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Other thought: The drunk Tali scene really doesn't work if Miranda has survived, because it's so clearly supposed to be Tali mourning her, but she's fine in my game.
up.

Both Ashley and Tali were drunk at the same time in opposite rooms in my game. I figured it was some joke about how they were jealous my Shep was romancing Miranda or something. Guess it was a coincidence based off some event trigger or something o_O

Patryn

Also, in terms of personality, Ashley fucking sucks in ME3 compared to Kaiden. I'm really noticing it this time. She has basically nothing to say in between missions, and there's basically almost no interaction with the other crew members.

Maledict

Also, in terms of personality, Ashley fucking sucks in ME3 compared to Kaiden. I'm really noticing it this time. She has basically nothing to say in between missions, and there's basically almost no interaction with the other crew members.

Yep. I know a lot of people hate Kaiden because he was so dull in ME1, but he was by far the more interesting character in me3.

Turns out that despite me checking on everyone after every OTHER mission, I somehow missed the Liara/Javik confrontation after Thessia, so I missed the drunk Tali berating Javik scene. Shame, maybe I'll catch it next time.

I know this point has been hammered home a ton, but it's really hitting me again: It's interesting how despite ME2 being a game all about gathering a squad and making you care about them, not a single squadmember created for ME2 is playable in ME3, barring the Citadel combat challenges. I really wonder if anyone at Bioware brought up that point.

Meanwhile, as of Citadel, the entirety of your ME1 squad is available. That cracks me up.
Eh, it still works even if Miranda survived, imo. It's just Tali dealing with her own daddy issues.

As for the ME2 squadmates thing, I've read several times that BioWare were cursing themselves during developing ME3 for having put the big-stakes suicide mission in the middle of the trilogy.

Dany

Banned

Oh man, Liara and Javik scene is among the best. And I'll argue that Thessia was one of the best missions in ME3 next to Tunchunka. Especially if you have Liara and Javik

Patryn

Oh man, Liara and Javik scene is among the best. And I'll argue that Thessia was one of the best missions in ME3 next to Tunchunka. Especially if you have Liara and Javik

I got it the first time, and I always brink Javik to Thessia. I just somehow missed it this playthrough.

Dineren

Banned
Eh, it still works even if Miranda survived, imo. It's just Tali dealing with her own daddy issues.

I don't know, I see what they were going for, but the dialogue is pretty awkward. After playing through it yesterday I had to double check online to make sure I didn't miss something because it definitely sounded like Miranda had died.

Big Nikus

Well to be fair the video isn't a one-for-one representation of the trailer music. He/she has taken a little liberty mixing it a bit towards the end (the part I suspect you weren't a fan of) and slowing it down in some parts but mostly everything is as it was in the trailer.

I'm just a fan of the ME1 Synth/Interstellar space epic vibe they seem to be going for. Assuming this is in-fact John Paesano's work, I feel like everything is in good hands.

Look at the comments, the first one is from the composer. It's not John Paesano (at least for the trailer).

Look at the comments, the first one is from the composer. It's not John Paesano (at least for the trailer).

We know it's most likely John Paesano because he's credited in the program booklet for Andromeda's main theme which premiered at that Oddessy video game musical in Montreal and Quebec City. (according to a person on reddit who attended the concert)

Also if you go to John's twitter page you'll see he retweeted the N7 day cinematic trailer and is being followed by many of the BioWare devs and Tom Taylorson (Voice of Scott Ryder).

The video I linked is merely a fan edit of the music from the gameplay trailer, slowed down with bits of other music mixed in near the end. It's by no means officially part of the soundtrack and I acknowledge that.

Garlador

I'll defend Ashley just a tad on this.

I guess it depends on how you play it, since she was a romance for me in ME1, and I dumped her in ME2 for Tali. She gets a bit of development there where Tali, more than any other character you could romance, is someone she's mostly okay with. "She like a sister to me," she says in support of the relationship. ... Granted, she and Tali get pretty catty if you take them both on the Geth ship...

At that point, she becomes a pretty good friend, Citadel gives her a chance to let her hair down many times, and I did enjoy her role on the Citadel in helping her sister cope with her husband's death and be there for her family. I think Bioware even said that both Ashley and Kaiden have the exact same amount of lines of dialogue in ME3 (and that they receive criticism from Kaiden fans initially assuming he had fewer scenes; he just has fewer on the Normandy).

As for the ME2 squadmates thing, I've read several times that BioWare were cursing themselves during developing ME3 for having put the big-stakes suicide mission in the middle of the trilogy.
That's how I saw it. It certainly has more impact if Miranda dies and Tali mourns her, but she was always struggling with her own daddy issues, and HER dad is the focus of her drinking in ME3 even if Miranda dies. She reflects on her own problematic relationship with her father, how miserable and unloved she felt growing up, and then the guilt and shame in comparing that to the crap Miranda endured and how it puts her problems in perspective.

And, yeah, Bioware was pretty honest that they sort of regretted making the suicide mission the middle point. Garrus had a survival rate of, what, 80% or so, so it made sense to bring him back in ME3, but I remember certain writers there fought HARD to make Tali playable in ME3. She was just going to be a cameo like all the others but her writer really pushed for her being a part of the experience to the bitter end, and I'm glad they put in that effort for her.

DevilDog

The moments in the temple were outstanding. The conversations between Javik and Liara, hearing the fall of a religion, tons of lore, it fleshed out the world so much. And the characters.
And Thessia looks so cool, the architecture is one of my favorites in the trilogy.

Yeah the last few seconds were annoyed me a bit, and sounded really amateurish compared to the rest.

Joe Paesano is the lead music guy? I though Sam Hulick was in charge again for producing 99% of the soundtrack.

Bisnic

I learned something new today while playing ME3...

Changing appearances gives different bonus to your squadmates.
For example using the default appearance for EDI gives her 25% Power Damage. Her alternate blue suit gives her 25% Power Recharge and her white suit give her 25% shield.

Took me almost 5 years to notice this... lol. Was this the same in ME2? I feel stupid.

To be fair I didn't know it either until about a month or two ago when I was watching someone play through the trilogy on twitch. However the buffs don't really make that much of a difference if you're already an experienced player so I just pick what looks best for each companion.

You only see it by clicking on the Info button no? I rarely have to click there, so... easy to miss.
I mean, there's an info button describing armor for your squad mates. I clicked it the first time I saw it.

Edit:

However, I just realized it's possible to go through the first game without ever recruiting Garrus.

So they quietly revealed on twitter a few hours ago that the voice actor for Drack is a man named Stanley Townsend. He's an Irish actor who's appeared in quite a bit of smaller projects (TV shows and movies). Seems he fits the role of bad-guy, tough character quite well.

BioWare is going out of their way to look for mostly new, lesser known voice talent and I actually kind of appreciate that. Give people a chance to make their mark in game voiceover.

The BioFanOfficial twitter account posted side-by-side images of the confirmed actors and their characters, I condensed it down into one image if anyone cares.

I'm excited to learn more about all these characters.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh hey, Jamie Clayton. She plays the trans woman in Sense8, fitting given she is trans.

Patryn

However, I just realized it's possible to go through the first game without ever recruiting Garrus.

They even put in alternate dialogue when you encounter him in Mass Effect 2 if you didn't recruit him in ME1.

Something I've always wondered but never tried: What is the bare minimum squad you can get in Mass Effect 1?

I know that you can skip Garrus and Wrex, and it seems like there's dialogue to refuse to recruit Tali, but I never picked it. I assume Liara is required, based on the story needs.

They even put in alternate dialogue when you encounter him in Mass Effect 2 if you didn't recruit him in ME1.

Something I've always wondered but never tried: What is the bare minimum squad you can get in Mass Effect 1?

I know that you can skip Garrus and Wrex, and it seems like there's dialogue to refuse to recruit Tali, but I never picked it. I assume Liara is required, based on the story needs.

IRRC, Liara, Kaiden, Ashley is the bare minimum. Although, I do believe you can protest Ashley joining your crew but you end up having to take her.

Bisnic

Yeah, Tali is mandatory.

It is funny by Citadel to see the differences of who is still around if you get a really unlucky run.

lol at James still being in the far back even with nobody around.

I've never not kept Wrex alive so I'm curious how the Citadel DLC plays without him. What replaces that scene where he jumps onto the shuttle?

James come out with a rocket launcher if I remember. Not nearly as cool of course.

Daemul

Yeesh, and I thought my group picture was bad.

I had Samara, Miranda, Wrex, Tali, Zaeed and Jack dead on my "canon" trilogy run, so the party picture had some empty spaces, but that picture is a hella more empty than mine was.

Now that I think about it, I've never had the party with everyone alive, hell, I've only ever had the party once. Usually I just skip it on my ME3 runs lol

I've never not kept Wrex alive so I'm curious how the Citadel DLC plays without him. What replaces that scene where he jumps onto the shuttle?

James Vega the GOAT jumps on the shuttle and kicks ass, I love that guy. I've never done the Citadel DLC with Wrex alive(that would require me curing the Genophage, something which I categorically refuse to do), but I've seen videos of his Citadel cameos and they were pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom