• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Nikus

I love you. I'm keeping it.
That's what I would have posted everytime someone posted the disarm gif, as a way to balance things out.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What I'm curious about if this huge alien/robot creature that reminds me of War of the Worlds. Can't wait to fight it.
uChukBN.png

What I'm curious about if this huge alien/robot creature that reminds me of War of the Worlds. Can't wait to fight it.
uChukBN.png

That's certainly something, surprised no one pointed that out all the way back.

Although if I'm being honest the last thing we need in Mass Effect is gargantuan Final Fantasy x God of War boss fights. Hopefully that's just something that appears in cutscenes or in the distance.

Dany

Banned
That's certainly something, surprised no one pointed that out all the way back.

Although if I'm being honest the last thing we need in Mass Effect is gargantuan Final Fantasy x God of War boss fights. Hopefully that's just something that appears in cutscenes or in the distance.

You saying that fight against the reaper in Mass effect 3 was bullshit? yeah it sorta was

You saying that fight against the reaper in Mass effect 3 was bullshit? yeah it sorta was

You didn't fight the reaper, you just walked around it and let the thresher maw kill it.

I don't want to be hopping around in a jetpack doing dumb anime'esque shit to fight stuff like this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mass Effect 3 struggled with last generation hardware though, which limited interactive play space and design of a large scale boss fight like the Reapers. Hence the weird puzzle-like and highly confined shooting gallery battle you find yourself in.

Current generation hardware and Frostbite 3 support much larger play space and interactive set pieces. I doubt we'd get something like Final Fantasy or God of War, so much as a very large big-bad that we'll fight on the fly. Ideally, anyway.

vlcsnap-2017-01-08-14g4ufo.png

Yeul

Also a TV with a Dolby Vision 💸

👌👌👌👌! Though unless I intend to spend the money on a PC monitor with the correct HDR specs, I'll just have to make a really good reshade preset like I did with DA:I until the right product comes along.

Mass Effect 3 struggled with last generation hardware though, which limited interactive play space and design of a large scale boss fight like the Reapers. Hence the weird puzzle-like and highly confined shooting gallery battle you find yourself in.

Current generation hardware and Frostbite 3 support much larger play space and interactive set pieces. I doubt we'd get something like Final Fantasy or God of War, so much as a very large big-bad that we'll fight on the fly. Ideally, anyway.

vlcsnap-2017-01-08-14g4ufo.png

Frostbite 3 is an excellent engine, though incredibly difficult to mod. I can't even tell you how many hours I've spent trying to figure out file packages and mining through DA:I's files in order to get a certain song, texture, etc. to extract. Not only that, but needing to have variations of mods in order to avoid an infinite load or a CTD - it's a good thing I like that game. Anyways, if we are able to actually fight (or attempt to fight) something like the Reaper vs. Thresher Maw in terms of scale on the fly, that sounds good. I want to feel small.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I wonder how "crazy" they went with the planets they´ve created.
If I remember correctly, Mac already mentioned nothing super fantasy crazy, though does that mean something like the Interstellar Water Planet wouldnt be in it as well?

Would be cool if the planets end up throwing you into unique circumstances like as I mentioned the water planet where I think gravity caused waves that were the size of mountains.
From what we´ve seen we get unique environments, wonder if they went as far and made those impact the gameplay.

And agreed, Andromeda´s visuals look really nice.

Finished my ME1 replay. I couldn't bring myself to do a full completionist run, so I powered through the main story and did the sidequests on the hub planets... Skipped most of the UNC/collection/Mako stuff. This was my first time playing through as MaleShep, so that added some freshness to it.

Just started ME2 up, and my god, I forgot how much I love the opening of this game.

20+ playthroughs and I only just learned today that you can hack into and use the M29-Grizzly tank in the hangar that the geth first ambush you on Noveria.

Can't drive it but it let's you use the giant ass turret.

I guess it was originally what the Mako was supposed to look like?

Big Nikus

It was one of the concept designs I think, yeah.

As for me, I was strolling around a base in ME2, and I decided to take a break and read a book.

PvceklQ.png

And I started to wonder : why the obsession about the future ? "The next 20 years". "The next 1000 years".
You're already living in the future guys, no need to read so much about it !
What's funny is that apparently, Garrus wrote "The next 25 Years".

orq082L.png

And what's this ?

9kBwDXi.png

Oh I'm sure I'm reading that wrong, I'm sure it says "Flight", and the H sadly looks like a K.

8qFjHUi.png

All bets are off.

edit: ok, I'm settling for "Flick". Still, the libraries are strange. When it's not about the future, it's about Ireland and Scotland's pasts.
I should perhaps stop looking at random shit and save the galaxy.

I stopped playing the MP when the first map pack arrived (Resurgence).

The completionist in me wants to keep the galactic readiness at 100% so I never touched the online since then : /

Patryn

I stopped playing the MP when the first map pack arrived (Resurgence).

The completionist in me wants to keep the galactic readiness at 100% so I never touched the online since then : /

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your Readiness just go down automatically if you don't continue playing MP?

Finished my ME1 replay. I couldn't bring myself to do a full completionist run, so I powered through the main story and did the sidequests on the hub planets... Skipped most of the UNC/collection/Mako stuff. This was my first time playing through as MaleShep, so that added some freshness to it.

Just started ME2 up, and my god, I forgot how much I love the opening of this game.

It really is so incredibly well executed. Absolutely gorgeous, and so well written. It's a damn shame that the plot it so beautifully sets up doesn't really work for the second entry in a trilogy.

I have only just downloaded mass effect 3 tonight.

The question: Do people still play the multiplayer?

They do on Xbox, astonishingly. Game's got legs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your Readiness just go down automatically if you don't continue playing MP?

It does.

Officer Sanchez best get back on the beat.

goishen

It does. But at a slower rate than you might think. In other words, you might check back in day and find it'd be ay 97% from 100%. You might check back two days later and find it only at 88% and five days later and find it at 79%. So, yah, it does go down. But not as quickly as you might think.

Daemul

After restarting ME2 as a Soldier, I've noticed some things which I had forgotten about some of the characters, like how Miranda and Jacob completely switch personalities the moment you step on the Normandy. With Miranda going from cold and distant to suddenly becoming chatty about herself and Cerberus, and Jacob going from outgoing and chatty to becoming withdrawn and not wanting to talk much. Its fucking weird.

I think what annoys me the most about Mass Effect 2 (and puts it down a peg under Mass Effect 3 personally) is the wasted potential of Kaidan/Ashley.

They completely dumped them to the sidelines and told us to expect payoff for staying loyal until 3.

Replaying through 1 right now and all I can think about is how I'll have to wait until 3 to see any substantial content out of Ashley again. I would've totally liked a DLC equivalent of what Lair of the Shadow Broker did for Liara in 2 but instead for the Virmire survivor.

Renekton

I think what annoys me the most about Mass Effect 2 (and puts it down a peg under Mass Effect 3 personally) is the wasted potential of Kaidan/Ashley.

They completely dumped them to the sidelines and told us to expect payoff for staying loyal until 3.

Replaying through 1 right now and all I can think about is how I'll have to wait until 3 to see any substantial content out of Ashley again. I would've totally liked a DLC equivalent of what Lair of the Shadow Broker did for Liara in 2 but instead for the Virmire survivor.
At least you're not a Wrex fan.

Dude got Liara-ed and became randomly indifferent about the Genophage.

Wrex at least had a positive appearance in ME2 (and one where he's friendly with Shepard), while the Virmire Survivor was limited to a badly written scene on Horizon (which also hit their popularity among some fans, who saw their refusal to join Shepard as a betrayal). The same is true in 3, where Wrex is (at least if you don't sabotage the cure) depicted as a positive figure and gets some choice scenes in the Citadel DLC, while Kaidan/Ashley fans have to get through the forced trust issues (which may make sense for some playthroughs but are pretty annoying when you've romanced them or were close friends and the writing goes out of its way to force both Shepard and the VS down that path) and Ashley/Kaidan being sidelined for half the game despite being returned to squadmember status.

That said, I wasn't happy with Wrex being forced out of the squad either, even if he got to return in the DLC. I just found his separate arc was a lot better written and "good" for the character, while with Ashley/Kaidan it felt like Bioware didn't really care about them all that much.

I wish they'd at least included Kaidan/Ashley in Arrival even if they didn't get their own DLC.

SaylorMan

Me and 2 other flatmates all started our Mass Effect series re-run tonight.
This game has aged for sure, but it does not feel ten years old. TEN!? Thats crazy.

Playing through Mass Effect 1 as a Vanguard for that shotgun + biotics. Shotgun feels insanely good just how I remember it. Did anyone run shotgun in Mass Effect 2? If so thoughts? I remember not enjoying it all too much.

DevilDog

What grinds me gears is that choices in ME1 don't matter in ME2. Apart from Wrex of course. At least Mass Effect 3 had some pretty neat missions where you could see your choices coming into play.

After restarting ME2 as a Soldier, I've noticed some things which I had forgotten about some of the characters, like how Miranda and Jacob completely switch personalities the moment you step on the Normandy. With Miranda going from cold and distant to suddenly becoming chatty about herself and Cerberus, and Jacob going from outgoing and chatty to becoming withdrawn and not wanting to talk much. Its fucking weird.
I noticed this last night as well. Miranda is hateful on the station after you wake up. "Stay on the station if you want, I don't care!" And then immediately becomes friendly on the Normandy. "Cerberus isn't so bad, we need you. Also, my dad is a jerk!" Jacob's personality is less drastic.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What grinds me gears is that choices in ME1 don't matter in ME2. Apart from Wrex of course. At least Mass Effect 3 had some pretty neat missions where you could see your choices coming into play.

That's not true! Remember that Noveria Affairs lady? Or that mercenary woman on a barren planet after you kill a bunch of leaders? That dude from the Citadel that you could have killed early on when looking for Tali? What about the Asari on Virmire? Or that Asari on Illium if you saved the Rachni? :p

If you played pure Renegade, they're all dead in ME2 of course, but still... it's something... I guess? lol

DevilDog

That's not true! Remember that Noveria Affairs lady? Or that mercenary woman on a barren planet after you kill a bunch of leaders? That dude from the Citadel that you could have killed early on when looking for Tali? What about the Asari on Virmire? Or that Asari on Illium if you saved the Rachni? :p

If you played pure Renegade, they're all dead in ME2 of course, but still... it's something... I guess? lol

You're right my choices did matter after all!

And now, after bitching, thats what we get; no more save imports in Andromeda :(

Patryn

You're right my choices did matter after all!

And now, after bitching, thats what we get; no more save imports in Andromeda :(
Andromeda is a fresh start. I fully expect when Mass Effect 5 comes out there will be world state importing from Andromeda a la the Dragon Age Keep.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Andromeda will bomb critically and commercially and there won't be another Mass Effect for a decade if ever.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Andromeda will bomb critically and commercially and there won't be another Mass Effect for a decade if ever.

I agree that the marketing has been awful but why do you think this?

I am just worried that EA seems to be Titanfall 2ing this game.

Is EA going the route of Activision and making Battlefield their money maker?

I've never been a fan of EA, but they can't be that dumb.

Renekton

Guess we need to start finding alternatives, so what other space science-fiction operas with Star Trek / Mass Effect levels of lore?

Medieval fantasy and Cyberpunk dystopia are plentiful..

Guess we need to start finding alternatives, so what other space science-fiction operas with Star Trek / Mass Effect levels of lore?

ME definitely fills a weidly empty niche, it's true.

I'd like to see more weird settings myself; where's my non-dark urban fantasy, or high weird science steampunk RPGs?

StarCraft?

DevilDog pls. StarCraft is just a not-particularly-inspired WH40k ripoff. Speaking of which, where's my big budget 40k RPG, GW?

I agree that the marketing has been awful but why do you think this?

I am just worried that EA seems to be Titanfall 2ing this game.

Is EA going the route of Activision and making Battlefield their money maker?

I've never been a fan of EA, but they can't be that dumb.
It's Eatchildren. He's joking, smug bastard lol.

<3 ya mate

Patryn

As I'm currently playing it, Xenoblade Chronicles X very weirdly has a lot in common with Mass Effect.

Space Opera sci-fi setting, on-foot action, vehicle combat, lots of party members, a semi-equivalent to Loyalty Missions in the Affinity Missions, having non-relevant party members be oddly silent during the Affinity Missions...

It's just way, way more anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom