• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG

I suppose it was only a matter of time before more concern threads about BioWare, Andromeda, and Mass Effect 3's ending popped up all over the general discussion forum this close to launch.

The only valuable thing I learn from those threads is that some people are savagely bitter and will hold on to their hatreds till the day they die from old age.

You can look forward to it every new trailer (which means the number of threads will accelerate)

Which should be that IGN blowout at the end of the month correct?

EDIT:

New leak courtesy of the Funko Pop company (The ones that makes those collectible bobble-head like items you see everywhere) and the Mass Effect sub-reddit.

0Rytduu.png

Liam now has a last name and a new mystery character is named (Jaal).

Is it the final un-named squadmate or the games Kett villain? Who knows.

Big Nikus

Interview of Mike Gamble on Kotaku Australia : www.kotaku.com.au/2016/12/what-mass...about-multiplayer-mods-and-dedicated-servers/

Interesting infos about the multiplayer :
"There's a system that we use called the Strike Team system, and fundamentally it allows you to go between singleplayer and multiplayer within the game," he explained. "And it's packaged around a meta-story of what's going on in Helios."

The producer added that the multiplayer would feed into a deeper meta-story. The meta-story can be finished without playing multiplayer at all, but Gamble said "it's pretty seamless" to switch between the singleplayer and multiplayer.

When I pressed further, he told me the transition wasn't instantaneous - but you also won't have to quit out to the main menu, like you did with Mass Effect 3. "I can tell you that there's a loading screen - it's not entirely seamless - but it won't require you to stop your game and restart in a different mode. Because narratively it's all connected, it makes a lot of sense."

I'm sure people will complain for no reason, but I really like the sound of that ! Jumping to multiplayer without leaving the main game sounds great. I love how they tie the two experiences together. That's something I liked in ME3 actually, it's a very cool approach imo

I don't understand what this part means though, someone help me :
Something else worth noting: Andromeda won't have dedicated servers for multiplayer. That's not a huge surprise given the type of game Mass Effect is, but it could be a sticking point for those who want to dive deep into the game's multiplayer - especially if Andromeda ends up having some form of a competitive mode, as opposed to the wave-based, co-operative offering in ME3.

Patryn

Opinion will gradually change once more *detailed* information and media start coming out, which is soon. Guarantee it.

You have more faith in GAF than I do. I think while a lot of people will be swayed, to a large vocal minority, Bioware can do no right and it'll be face.gif over and over and over again until the end of time.

It means the multiplayer is host-based like Mass Effect 3. So if the host quits, disconnects or ragequits it either ends the multiplayer match or assigns it to another player. If the host has a crappy internet connection everyone will suffer.

Not spectacular news but I believe people have better internet than they did 5 years ago.

I don't understand what this part means though, someone help me :
Probably means that it'll be peer-2-peer which was kinda expected but still.

If you don't know, dedicated servers are where there's a central server that's hosting the game and everybody participating connects to it, so everyone can have the exact same experience. One person having a shit connection will only affect that person, noone else.

In a p2p system, there's usually one person who hosts a session and everybody else connects to that person. So some people might have a better connection to the host than others and if the host doesn't have a stable connection then there can be lag,rollback and other issues.

EDIT: And of course, if the host leaves for whatever reason then the game will have to be rehosted and if there is no other player available that can host then the match straight up ends.

prag16

Banned
What are they preserving us from? A planetary scale calamity is common in nature, a galactic scale calamity is not. If you imagine this as a way to run from the reapers it makes sense, but this is apparently an independent venture not related to that, at least as far as I can tell. Putting large masses of people in crysotasis for 600 years and lobbing them at superluminal speeds with unknown technology to colonize something you've never been to and know nothing about doesn't feel wise. What if they arrived and the galaxy was already totally occupied and controlled by an existing power or powers? All it would take was civilization to develop a few thousand years sooner than it did on Earth for us to wind up in major trouble. That's something we know is plausible because Protheans did exactly that in our galaxy. It must have major financial backing too, since it's multiple large ships and a colonization effort being lobbed there. Then again these games have always played fast and loose with that stuff, lol cerberus. Basically, it feels like you've gone off to find new virgin lands to explore when you haven't even finished exploring your own back yard. 1% of the milky way figure always struck me as absurdly low, but it's canon.

P.S. how did they maintain the mass effect fields the whole time? 600 year transit time to Andromeda, a galaxy 2.5 million light years away puts the speed at 3,125 times the speed of light. That's maintaining 80% of the Normandy's top speed for 600 years straight.

Yeah. Back when the general information first came out, the idea made sense IF this was some kind of contingency plan to escape the reapers.. yes an effort of this size being mobilized so quickly would have required suspension of disbelief.

However I'd argue potentially not as much as the official explanation, that it's just some totally unrelated exploration effort. Unless there's a lot of narrative there to justify this, that we haven't seen yet.

Big Nikus

Just means that it's peer to peer I think, and that there might be issues like host lag.

It means the multiplayer is host-based like Mass Effect 3. So if the host quits, disconnects or ragequits it either ends the multiplayer match or assigns it to another player. If the host has a crappy internet connection everyone will suffer.

Not spectacular news but I believe people have better internet than they did 5 years ago.

Probably means that it'll be peer-2-peer which was kinda expected but still.

If you don't know, dedicated servers are where there's a central server that's hosting the game and everybody participating connects to it, so everyone can have the exact same experience. One person having a shit connection will only affect that person, noone else.

In a p2p system, there's usually one person who hosts a session and everybody else connects to that person. So some people might have a better connection to the host than others and if the host doesn't have a stable connection then there can be lag,rollback and other issues.

EDIT: And of course, if the host leaves for whatever reason then the game will have to be rehosted and if there is no other player available that can host then the match straight up ends.

Ah, thanks for the clarification !

It happened quite a few times in ME3, but I had never thought about the difference between servers and p2p systems. Well it wasn't so bad in ME3 and yeah, more people have good connections nowadays.

edit: damn I want to play ME3 multiplayer non-stop these days but I don't have time.

Mindlog

Interview of Mike Gamble on Kotaku Australia : www.kotaku.com.au/2016/12/what-mass...about-multiplayer-mods-and-dedicated-servers/

Interesting infos about the multiplayer :
This seems like a key component of the reason for being able to easily switch classes and powers. Brings up a lot of questions about MP in general for me. With everything that's been detailed so far there is room for substantial integration between SP and MP. I wonder if it's going to prove true and if the obvious reasons for keeping it quiet (premature backlash) also prove to be true.

Imagine being able to take a limited version of your Shepard into ME3 MP and the XP you gain there porting over to SP. Pretty sure they already detailed some form of currency being portable between SP and MP.

prag16

Banned
And who knows. Maybe we'll learn through subtext and mystery implications that the initiative was in fact influenced from behind the scenes by the Reaper invasion.

Yeah, reading through the last couple pages, the idea occurred to me that there could be a side quest chain regarding this or something. Maybe a dawning realization at some point. "Ya know bro/sis Ryder, maybe we really ARE the last of us."

Daemul

RIP Vanguards

You have more faith in GAF than I do. I think while a lot of people will be swayed, to a large vocal minority, Bioware can do no right and it'll be face.gif over and over and over again until the end of time.
Oh I'm well aware of that here lol. I didn't say *all* opinion, but certainly those that are a lot more open without any vendettas going on.

Dany

Banned
Any word on how it'll support the ps4 pro? I'm really considering replacing my regular ps4, since I just bought a 4ktv. Ps4 games already look great on my tv, so I hope it's a substantial effort for the ps4 pro

Xando

Any word on how it'll support the ps4 pro? I'm really considering replacing my regular ps4, since I just bought a 4ktv. Ps4 games already look great on my tv, so I hope it's a substantial effort for the ps4 pro
They already showed it running at 4k on pro at the reveal event iirc.
Since i haven't got a 4K tv yet i'm more worried about it not including some kind of improvements for 1080p TVs.

On base PS4, it runs at 900p. On Pro, it checkerboards to 1800p, then uses conventional upscaling to take it from 1800p to 2160p (aka 4k). This means it will have both the visual artefacting of the checkerboard technique and also a slight blur from the conventional upscaling at the end of the process. It should still look good, but a bit worse than most PS4 pro games because of the lower resolution.

It actually runs 1080p on the base PS4 and 900p on the XB1.

Concerning the resolution, BioWare General Manager Aaryn Flynn confirmed that Mass Effect: Andromeda will run at 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One. Both games, he added, will be capped at 30 frames per second, a standard frame rate for home consoles.

diaspora

IIRC it doesn't run at 4k. Rather it scales using the checkerboard technique to 1800 pixels vertically, then uses regular upscaling from there to 4k.

diaspora

That's really bizarre given what we know about the Pro version. Most games use their base PS4 resolutionx2 as the origin resolution for the checkerboarding.

What I'm reading is:
  • PS4 regular: 1080p
  • PS4 Pro: 1080p HQ
  • PS4 Pro: 900p checkerboard scaled to 1800p then normal upscaling to 4k
  • Xbox One/ One S: 900p

Bombless

Oh for fuck's sake Bioware. That was one of the worst points of ME3. Half the time you couldn't even migrate to a new host and there was absolutely no way to recover the progress of the game no matter how long it had been going.

Renekton

Wow the ME Ending thread is getting explosive 😀

Oh for fuck's sake Bioware. That was one of the worst points of ME3. Half the time you couldn't even migrate to a new host and there was absolutely no way to recover the progress of the game no matter how long it had been going.
For some reason, I always get promoted to host when that happens probably coz I'm the only one not streaming and torrenting.

Garlador

Opinion will gradually change once more *detailed* information and media start coming out, which is soon. Guarantee it.

I am obviously currently frustrated, but I have boundless optimism.

Again, I don't think the game will be bad, and I do look forward to the floodgates being swung open.

... It's just been a long, long wait for the "good stuff".
84.gif

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wow the ME Ending thread is getting explosive ��

I'm surprised people still can't get over it 5 years later. I mean, I know the ending was disappointing/sucked/terrible, but man... It's a video game ending, not your girl/boyfriend cheating on you.

Heck, I bet some ME players who got cheated on are more upset at the ending than that lol.

Melee weapons have already been confirmed in singleplayer, in fact I believe the gameplay trailer has a shot of someone using swords I think? Either way expect mayhem.

Not a fan of Vanguard gameplay myself but I can see how biotic charge and a krogan hammer slam attack could be quite entertaining.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Hammer Vanguard is my new favourite thing....."PainSlammer" wil be her name, she will be very deadly to the Kett, even more deadly in screenshots.

Maledict

I'm surprised people still can't get over it 5 years later. I mean, I know the ending was disappointing/sucked/terrible, but man... It's a video game ending, not your girl/boyfriend cheating on you.

Heck, I bet some ME players who got cheated on are more upset at the ending than that lol.

It's a story that took 6 years to tell, and often people put hundreds of hours into it. I'm not surprised at all that people are still bitter - it was honestly one of the worse, fucked up endings I've experienced in any media type. You can't ask people to put that amount of time into it and not have a lasting emotional impact.

Edit: re the multiplayer, I am confused. It sounds like you don't get to play aliens etc., in this new mode which can't be right at all?

Daemul

RIP non-host vanguards. ;)

If non-host Vanguards are as unplayable as they were in ME3 MP then I'm expecting to witness many lol worthy deaths in the early days of Andromedas MP, before people get fed up and move on to other classes.

Melee weapons have already been confirmed in singleplayer, in fact I believe the gameplay trailer has a shot of someone using swords I think? Either way expect mayhem.

Not a fan of Vanguard gameplay myself but I can see how biotic charge and a krogan hammer slam attack could be quite entertaining.

The character who had the Warhammer in ME3MP was the Krogan Sentinel and it worked on him, but I'm not sure it jives with a Vanguard style of play tbh, it seems redudant as a close range attack when Nova(or something similar) will probably exist in Andromeda.

What I'm reading is:
  • PS4 regular: 1080p
  • PS4 Pro: 1080p HQ
  • PS4 Pro: 900p checkerboard scaled to 1800p then normal upscaling to 4k
  • Xbox One/ One S: 900p

Why would the 1080HQ mode natively render at a higher resolution than the "4K" mode?

Why would the standard PS4 natively render at a higher resolution than the 4K mode?

Based on your list, the PS4 Pro 4K mode will only render the same resolution as the Xbox One, then use two types of scaling? What?

Why would the 1080HQ mode natively render at a higher resolution than the "4K" mode?

Why would the standard PS4 natively render at a higher resolution than the 4K mode?

Based on your list, the PS4 Pro 4K mode will only render the same resolution as the Xbox One, then use two types of scaling? What?

Checkerboarding is a technique whereby a certain number of pixels are rendered in a checkerboard pattern, and then the ones that aren't rendered normally are inferred based on the information of the pixels surrounding them. Whatever your target resolution is, you render "half" that resolution, then cheaply render the rest (it's not strictly accurate, but it's "pretty good" by most accounts). Most PS4 Pro games render a 4k image using checkerboarding as a shortcut, which you might say is "2x1080p". A small handful of games are native 4k.

The PS4 pro in Mass Effect Andromeda is rendering 2x900p, and the checkerboard technique therefore produces a final image whose resolution is 1800p. Since it's supposed to be displaying in 4k, it then uses a conventional upscaling technique to produce the final 4k output to television. So to answer your question, no, it's not rendering in a lower resolution than the PS4 regular. 2x900p is a higher pixel count than 1x1080p. As to why you would render 900p->1800p instead of 1080p->4k, I can only speculate. I previously thought that the base PS4 was rendering 900p, in which case it made perfect sense. But if it's not, then I would have to assume that whatever rendering pipeline Andromeda is using must not be playing nice with checkerboarding. In some games on PS4, it is virtually "free", but it depends on the game in question and how it's set up technically speaking.

Checkerboarding is a technique whereby a certain number of pixels are rendered in a checkerboard pattern, and then the ones that aren't rendered normally are inferred based on the information of the pixels surrounding them. Whatever your target resolution is, you render "half" that resolution, then cheaply render the rest (it's not strictly accurate, but it's "pretty good" by most accounts). Most PS4 Pro games render a 4k image using checkerboarding as a shortcut, which you might say is "2x1080p". A small handful of games are native 4k.

The PS4 pro in Mass Effect Andromeda is rendering 2x900p, and the checkerboard technique therefore produces a final image whose resolution is 1800p. Since it's supposed to be displaying in 4k, it then uses a conventional upscaling technique to produce the final 4k output to television. So to answer your question, no, it's not rendering in a lower resolution than the PS4 regular. 2x900p is a higher pixel count than 1x1080p. As to why you would render 900p->1800p instead of 1080p->4k, I can only speculate. I previously thought that the base PS4 was rendering 900p, in which case it made perfect sense. But if it's not, then I would have to assume that whatever rendering pipeline Andromeda is using must not be playing nice with checkerboarding. In some games on PS4, it is virtually "free", but it depends on the game in question and how it's set up technically speaking.

Yes, but my point is that checkerboarding a 900p image should be less intensive than rendering a normal 1080p image since it's only actually rendering every other pixel of the 1800p image. So, why would you have 1080HQ when that should be harder on the system than if they had checkerboarding 900pHQ.

At any rate, native 1440p would be the better option than 1800p checkerboarded.

Yes, but my point is that checkerboarding a 900p image should be less intensive than rendering a normal 1080p image since it's only actually rendering every other pixel of the 1800p image. So, why would you have 1080HQ when that should be harder on the system than if they had checkerboarding 900pHQ.

At any rate, native 1440p would be the better option than 1800p checkerboarded.

1920 x 1080 = 2.07 million pixels.
1600 x 900 x 2 = 2.88 million pixels, plus the small extra bit of effort to fill in the blanks.
2560 x 1440 = 3.686 million pixels.

1080p (native) is the easiest, 1800p with checkerboarding is the middle option, 1440p is the most intensive.

The high quality 1080p mode might be downsampled from a slightly higher than 1080p resolution, or it might just be using a better AA technique or something like that. I agree it feels weird that it would be native 1080 on PS4, and only 1800p on PS4 Pro. That "feels" wrong. But I guess if it's official sources...

1920 x 1080 = 2.07 million pixels.
1600 x 900 x 2 = 2.88 million pixels, plus the small extra bit of effort to fill in the blanks.
2560 x 1440 = 3.686 million pixels.

1080p (native) is the easiest, 1800p with checkerboarding is the middle option, 1440p is the most intensive.

The high quality 1080p mode might be downsampled from a slightly higher than 1080p resolution, or it might just be using a better AA technique or something like that. I agree it feels weird that it would be native 1080 on PS4, and only 1800p on PS4 Pro. That "feels" wrong. But I guess if it's official sources...

Why have the x2 and then say the extra effort to fill in the blanks? If it is doing it "x2" then there aren't blanks. It's a 1800p image.

It would be 800 x 900 expanded out to 1600 x 1800 with blank pixels between them? And then filling in the blanks? Otherwise, why is it called checkerboarding? 1600 x 900 expanded to 1600x1800 without duplicating the empty lines of pixels on the vertical would just be really odd interlacing.... I clearly don't get what you are saying... Because there's just no way to half the vertical resolution being rendered using a checkerboard pattern without also reducing the horizontal... That math doesn't make sense.

Edit: Or maybe I'm just too tired to think about it. I've been up since 4AM, it after 9pm right now. Goodnight. Thanks for trying to explain it to me.

Patryn

It's a story that took 6 years to tell, and often people put hundreds of hours into it. I'm not surprised at all that people are still bitter - it was honestly one of the worse, fucked up endings I've experienced in any media type. You can't ask people to put that amount of time into it and not have a lasting emotional impact.

Edit: re the multiplayer, I am confused. It sounds like you don't get to play aliens etc., in this new mode which can't be right at all?

I think my biggest problem is that they intentionally avoided doing the "obvious" ending, despite the fact that it would logical sense to do it.

Frankly, it's a larger problem I have with media in general in which people are so worried about the idea of having a happy ending, or an "obvious" ending that they have to throw in crazy twists even if they make no sense that at this point that's become the goddamn cliche.

Like, in hindsight, we honestly should have expected nonsense because that's the modern cliche.

Why have the x2 and then say the extra effort to fill in the blanks? If it is doing it "x2" then there aren't blanks. It's a 1800p image.

It would be 800 x 900 expanded out to 1600 x 1800 with blank pixels between them? And then filling in the blanks? Otherwise, why is it called checkerboarding? 1600 x 900 expanded to 1600x1800 without duplicating the empty lines of pixels on the vertical would just be really odd interlacing.... I clearly don't get what you are saying... Because there's just no way to half the vertical resolution being rendered using a checkerboard pattern without also reducing the horizontal... That math doesn't make sense.

It's rendering the equivalent of two full 900p images. 1800p, without checkerboarding, is equal to not two, but four 900p images, each corresponding to 1/4 of the screen.

Here's the math -

1600 x 900 = 1,440,000
3200 x 1800 = 5,760,000

There is a 3200x1800 grid being created, but every other pixel is not being rendered conventionally. It's conventionally rendering twice as many pixels as a 900p image, but only half as many as a true 1800p image. The missing pixels in the pattern are then approximated using an algorithm. But the important thing for what we're talking about is that, computationally, it is less effort than rendering at native 1440p, but more effort than rendering at 1080p.

diaspora

Because presumably checkerboard scaling takes more work than a normal upscale.

Lexxon

I loved the ME series, but fell out of love after the ending. I was part of the internet "nerd rage" crowd over it. I'm still really disappointed in how the series ended. But the fact is, and I'm now more appreciative of this, but ME - ME3 pre-ending is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had, and it's not worth it to let a bad ending ruin that, nor is it worth it to villainize or ignore products from that company due to one mistake.

That being said, my first ME playthroughs since I finished ME3 have been this fall/winter, and I'm about 10 hours through ME3 now, modded up with controller support and 4K textures on PC. Absolutely loving it. (Although I'm reinstalling now due to crashing on mission start for Eden Prime and also now the last part of Leviathan)

...although I'm totally tempted to mod in the 'Happy Ending' or stopping at Citadel to avoid having that bad taste in my mouth again, even though I know it's coming.

I have ME:A Preordered for PC and I'm really looking forward to it. Hoping my 1070 is beefy enough to run it at 1440p, and that the port is solid.

diaspora

I personally don't like the happy ending. I'm okay with Shepard and AIs taking the L for the good of the galaxy. IMO the ending is much better if the blue/Green choices and the hologram kid are removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom