• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexxon

I personally don't like the happy ending. I'm okay with Shepard and AIs taking the L for the good of the galaxy. IMO the ending is much better if the blue/Green choices and the hologram kid are removed.

I'm fine with the ending not being happy. Just...anything else than what they gave us.

diaspora

While I would have preferred the ending being about victory through a conventional war via your war assets, I'm willing to accept the giant EMP. My key issues were that the hologram kid was daft and the existence of the green and blue choices were ridiculous.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The warhammer is in the gameplay trailer.

gif7apxb.gif

AyzOn

Neo Member
I ruined my ME3 Ending myself when I had to walk towards the 3 choices with the kid next to me. I started shooting around because you still had the pistol and the walk took so damn long that I got bored. At some point I shot the kid and got that ending.

I didnt even know you could do that, I thought he was invulnerable as every important character is in video games and after that Ive never got the patience to do that whole thing again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I ruined my ME3 Ending myself, when I had to walk towards the 3 choices with the kid next to me. I started shooting around because you still had the pistol and the walk took so damn long that I got bored. At some point I shot the kid and got that ending.

I didnt even know you could do that, I thought he was invulnerable as every important character is in video games and after that Ive never got the patience to do that whole thing again.

The rejection ending (shooting the catalyst) was added in the extended cut. Vanilla only had the three choices.

DevilDog

I ruined my ME3 Ending myself when I had to walk towards the 3 choices with the kid next to me. I started shooting around because you still had the pistol and the walk took so damn long that I got bored. At some point I shot the kid and got that ending.

As far as I remeber, you could never shoot friendly NPC's, unless you were in combat.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This is my endings spectrum:

Indoc(believe)>Red>Reject>Blue>Green

Rejection was a pretty cool yet depressing addition to the stable, I like how crushing it is though.....melancholic and poignant.

X-Frame

I officially took March 22-24 off work. I was going to take 21st too but juuuuust in case of any log in issues or something. A 5 day week should be enough, hah.

I officially took March 22-24 off work. I was going to take 21st too but juuuuust in case of any log in issues or something. A 5 day week should be enough, hah.

Might be, who knows how big this game is going to be.

All I know is that I spent 200 hours on my first playthrough when Inquisition launched so if this game turns out to be larger I will not see the light of day for many weeks.

Patryn

I'm thinking I'm going to come down with something on the 23rd, suddenly and mysteriously.

Although I do have a secret hope in my heart that maybe Bioware would have early copies at PAX East, which happens about a week before the release date. It's not going to happen, I know, but MAYBE....

Plasma

Banned
I'm thinking I'm going to come down with something on the 23rd, suddenly and mysteriously.

Although I do have a secret hope in my heart that maybe Bioware would have early copies at PAX East, which happens about a week before the release date. It's not going to happen, I know, but MAYBE....
American version is out on the 21st get on a VPN unlock it early and then go offline.

Patryn

American version is out on the 21st get on a VPN unlock it early and then go offline.

I live in the US, and meant to say the 22nd. I tend to get deliveries later in the day, so I hate wasting a day for it to show up after I'd get out of work anyways.

The book comes out after the game no? I'm not waiting a week to 2 weeks just for some basic Nexus pre-story. It's something I can read after I'm done with the game and make the story connections.

Killzig

The book comes out after the game no? I'm not waiting a week to 2 weeks just for some basic Nexus pre-story. It's something I can read after I'm done with the game and make the story connections.

I think nexus uprising is supposed to be out same day, I imagine there are some ARCs going out soon.

prag16

Banned
Are the books even listed anywhere?

Amazon US has the first one at least. Already have it preordered.

But yeah, it's a week later... (28th vs 21st)

No way I'm waiting to start the game until after I read the book. Will probably read the book after my first playthrough of the game, then do a second playthrough.

prag16

Banned
Ah fuck, it's out on the 28th. That's a hard pass for a while.

Releasing the book AFTER the game comes out is an odd choice. They'll definitely miss out on some sales as a result from the "hardcore" that are thirsting for some Mass Effect.

Unless the book contains massive spoilers for the game (even though they call it a prequel). But it should have at least been day and date release at worst.

Plasma

Banned
I live in the US, and meant to say the 22nd. I tend to get deliveries later in the day, so I hate wasting a day for it to show up after I'd get out of work anyways.

Gotcha, it's a just a shame that it isn't coming out in New Zealand until the 23rd, if it was out on the 21st we could have unlocked it on the Monday.

Releasing the book AFTER the game comes out is an odd choice. They'll definitely miss out on some sales as a result from the "hardcore" that are thirsting for some Mass Effect.

Unless the book contains massive spoilers for the game (even though they call it a prequel). But it should have at least been day and date release at worst.
It likely contains some spoilers as it leads up to the events of the game.

prag16

Banned
It likely contains some spoilers as it leads up to the events of the game.

If it's minor spoilers about early events of the game, I wouldn't see the harm... unless some of it involves information that we don't find out about until later in the game; I guess that makes sense... we probably wake up from stasis, with making sense of the disarray as a major plot point... and this book based on the title probably will delve into the origins of the disarray enough to be pretty spoilery.

EatChildren

I remember foolishly flicking through the ME2 CE artbook on the bus ride home from picking it up and having the Collector base interior and human Reaper spoiled. Good times.

I've requested release week off as vacation. It's something I've never done before, but this year I have an extra week of vacation, so figured why not. It may not get approved though.

Hopefully EA Access will have it out early, even if it's just a portion of the game.

Xando

I've requested release week off as vacation. It's something I've never done before, but this year I have an extra week of vacation, so figured why not. It may not get approved though.

Hopefully EA Access will have it out early, even if it's just a portion of the game.

They already confirmed PC/XB1 will be able to play early with EA Access. Biggest reason i'm not sure if i should go PS4/PC :(

EatChildren

I've only taken something like two days of annual since I started with the company, so I'll have a least a month worth of leave sitting there when Andromeda comes out. I'm not sure I'll actually take leave though; balancing work + get home and play will prevent me burning out. A bit different to Mass Effect 2 and 3 where I was there the moment retailers opened, took the week off, and chewed through on a serious lack of sleep. I didn't take leave for The Witcher 3 and still managed to play the shit out of it. Breaks are good.

That being said, who knows. When the hype hits I might take a few days, maybe just make it a long weekend. Unfortunately my boss is crazy excited and a huge Mass Effect fan too, so if I take leave on the day it comes out he'll know exactly why.

SaylorMan

Can someone give me some details on early access via EA Access?
Is it early access of the full game or limited time? What do we know?

Also not really digging the idea of melee weapons but if they're satisfying to use I'm sure my mind can be changed.

@Eatchildren, any luck we'll see character creation before launch?

diaspora

Also not really digging the idea of melee weapons but if they're satisfying to use I'm sure my mind can be changed.

If you're an EA/Origin Access member you'll get a timed (6 hour long?) early preview of the game.

Yeul

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't show off the character creator when they start to ramp up their marketing soon. They did Twitch streams of DA:I specifically showing off the character creator so they will probably do the same for ME:A.

diaspora

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't show off the character creator when they start to ramp up their marketing soon. They did Twitch streams of DA:I specifically showing off the character creator so they will probably do the same for ME:A.
I think we can reasonably assume the DA:I and ME:A marketing approaches are vastly different though :p

Hopefully the character creator copies the Xenoblade X thing where you can preview your character in different scenarios and lighting before confirming.

No confirmed details yet, but if they plan on doing exactly what they did with Dragon Age: Inquisition you'll have complete access to the game (multiplayer and singleplayer) for (at least) 6 hours. I wasted my 6 hours in the character creator and intro for that game, and by that I mean it was time well spent. :p

Yeul

I think we can reasonably assume the DA:I and ME:A marketing approaches are vastly different though :p

Hopefully the character creator copies the Xenoblade X thing where you can preview your character in different scenarios and lighting before confirming.

Well yeah they are different, but it seems like a safe bet to say they'd show it. Though yeah I agree 100%, there needs to be light adjustment in the CC. The lighting in the Fade wasn't neutral at all, regardless of what they said. In fact, that lighting was so hyper-specific to only a handful of scenarios throughout the game. To go from the dim Fade lighting to a harsh blue-tinted exterior didn't work at all. Even more frustrating was the fact that the Black Emporium didn't come out until months later.

EatChildren

If you've got an EA Access account and a title becomes available for early access it usually means you'll get X amount of hours worth of playtime after the preload and prior to launch. So for example with Battlefield 1 I preloaded and through early access was able to play two or so levels from the campaign along with access to the multiplayer up to a certain amount of hours of playtime. I can't remember exactly how many hours, but once exhausted the game would lock and I'd be required to wait until launch before I could play again.

With something like Mass Effect that would likely equate to being able to play X hours of the campaign, usually with a pre-designated lock off point too (eg: up to mission number X and only accessing Y planets), prior to the game's launch.

These aren't like betas either, so normally once you're playing early access you're using the bulk of pre-loaded game content that will then transition over to the main game. Same goes for save files.

Melee seems mainly an extension of the melee that already exists in Mass Effect but adopted from the multiplayer. BioWare are really drawing on ME3's multiplayer for the kind of build and skill diversity available in single player, and I guess they wanted to bring across the sword, hammer, and other tools that were added in later DLC revisions of classes. I'll probably ignore them all for single player.

No idea at all about character creator. I imagine it'll be a bit like Inquisition, maybe deeper? Surely based off the framework and tools built then.

I never really thought about it until now but I wonder how ammo is going to work in this game. We know there are special ammo drops but I'm curious as to how they are rationed and what enemies do and do not drop regular ammo.

Is it reasonable to assume that the Nomad acts as a refilling station when you enter it? Otherwise you'd seem to be out of luck if you're exploring the middle of nowhere on a planet.

Also, I've only seen Ryder carrying one main weapon in the trailers? Are we being limited by weight capacity x power recharge like in Mass Effect 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom