• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

prag16

Banned
New video looks great. I guess those speculating about a cooldown penalty for switching profiles were correct. Makes sense. Still skeptical about the priming/detonating prowess of the squad mates if you can't direct them yourself anymore, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

Seems like you can mix and match wildly different things within the same favorite loadout, but then you probably lose some of the bonuses you'd have by sticking with the theme of the profile. Seems like the system will have a good balance of accessibility and depth. Not disappointed.

That long gameplay section better not be representative of the average battle in the game. A small arena and a countdown timer doesn't look good, although I'm thinking that it's a side mission.

Meh, I don't see the issue? As you said it's probably a side mission, but this game still has strong cover shooter elements. How big exactly do you expect the average arena to be? We're not going to have vast open world landscapes to do battle on every single time as in something like The Witcher 3 (and doubt that would even be much fun with ME combat).

kosmologi

Meh, I don't see the issue? As you said it's probably a side mission, but this game still has strong cover shooter elements. How big exactly do you expect the average arena to be? We're not going to have vast open world landscapes to do battle on every single time as in something like The Witcher 3 (and doubt that would even be much fun with ME combat).

Other arenas in the previous video looked better, thankfully. This was very narrow and looks very restrictive - although the gameplay wasn't necessarily representative either, as it was about showing the favourite system.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I feel confident enough after that video to let my squaddies do their thing and set up detonations/combo with me: seems legit.

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet in here re: Insanity difficulty, but it seems that AI gets some big tweaks in that mode, not just bullet sponge upgrade like a lot of other games:

Update from@tiberius:

How does MEA Insanity compare to ME2 Insanity?

"Hard to compare them apples to apples. ME2 added layers of defense (shield, barriers, armor, etc.) to everybody, which made it brutally difficult to take enemies down. While I enjoyed the challenge of ME2 Insanity, I didn't like that Adepts got the shaft due to all those layers of defense.

With MEA, we decided to keep defenses static (i.e. If an enemy doesn't have shields on Normal, then he doesn't have them on Insanity either), but we increase enemy durability enough to require a well-made character (and ideally well-crafted weapons) to take them down quickly, we increase enemy damage enough to melt you very quickly when you're out of cover, we increase enemy reaction times and make them smarter about flanking and taking advantage of when you do something unwise (trying to use a hover attack when surrounded by entrenched foes, for instance), using more flushing attacks to force you out of cover, and so forth. We also scale the player's health and shield gates, so you've got very little slack if you screw up.

prag16

Banned
Also started thinking about control mapping on PC. I'm thinking the movement will be your standard WASD, CTRL, SHIFT, SPACE. The three powers are the question. If we can't map a ton of powers to hotkeys along the numbers, I might prefer to avoid using the numbers. I'm thinking the two thumb/side buttons on the mouse, then ALT for the third. I know some people don't like mapping ALT to anything important, but I have big hands and reach over to the left easily with my thumb. Do it all the time for games. And then maybe TAB for the power wheel? This is assuming M/KB users are 'stuck' with the controller UI.

Obviously we'll have to go hands on before we're sure but any other M/KB users planning a particular setup in their head yet?

I feel confident enough after that video to let my squaddies do their thing and set up detonations/combo with me: seems legit.

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet in here re: Insanity difficulty, but it seems that AI gets some big tweaks in that mode, not just bullet sponge upgrade like a lot of other games:

They kind of almost had to do that, with removing the tactical pause involving targeting and commanding squadmates. That is key for playing insanity well at times.

kosmologi

One big-name actor confirmed (official video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFMoZGBzAHQ

It's Natalie Dormer and she's voicing her:

DDWmCu7.gif

Menus show that Nexus (new Citadel) has levels, that to me imply we get to upgrade it over time with new features.

Yeah, I thought that too, but another guy mentioned the possibility that that particular bar is somehow connect to the multiplayer rather than the basebuilding aspect, so I'm personally still in the dark until I see some actual confirmation one way or another :p

Tovarisc

Yeah, I thought that too, but another guy mentioned the possibility that that particular bar is somehow connect to the multiplayer rather than the basebuilding aspect, so I'm personally still in the dark until I see some actual confirmation one way or another :p

I doubt it's tied to MP portion of the game. Ian, Lead Designer on Mass Effect: Andromeda, week or so ago replied to me on twitter that this time they disconnected SP and MP from each other, unlike in ME3 where MP was mandatory to play for full SP experience. MP apparently can still give some booster items and such for SP, but nothing crucial.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This is from the Eurogamer preview, regarding how Cora and Liam compare to Ashley and Kaiden:

Both are a million times better than Ashley and Kaidan

My hype doth intensify even more.

Amazingly positive preview, as are most of them: happy, happy times!

I can believe they recorded this line
But wow, that's pretty mean. I hope GRRM never plays this game.

Pragmatically speaking, I've never really understood how talking about one's impending demise is supposed to be mean. We're all dying, some a little sooner than others. And it's a reality that it's getting increasingly less likely that he will in fact finish his series. Not that I'm saying that should be important to him in the grand scheme of his life, but it's still a thing, and refusing to acknowledge it won't make it go away, you know? I'm sure the first person most intimately aware of that fact is he himself.

I think it's rude, and against convention to talk about such things of course.

Xando

Fuck i just got spoiled about what happens to the second ryder twin by the gamestar preview.

Beware incase anyone of you want to read it

Edit:
Maybe stop quoting me incase people don't want to read the spoiler

Patryn

Fuck i just got spoiled about what happens to the second ryder twin by the gamestar preview.

I think this is the point I bow out of this thread, because I get that you're being considerate, but it's an inadvertent spoiler simply saying that something happens to the second twin. I know that most normal people won't care, but I think I'm approaching the point of knowing too much. Thus, I'm peacing out until I have the game under my belt.

So, see you all on the other side!

The first time I played ME1, I did the major planets out of order, and thinking about that fight still makes me shudder. I heard those lines so ... many ... times.

Mindlog

Did expect to be able to 'change classes' per mission.
Did not expect to be able to 'change classes' while in mission with favorite loadouts.

That changes everything.
Spoilers in the following quote.

Edit:
Maybe stop quoting me incase people don't want to read the spoiler
Pretty sure I heard it in some other random video's background as they're talking over b-roll or something similar.

If anyone wants to stay completely spoiler free be warned. Some preview videos/discussions will have spoilers for certain events. Trying to be as vague as possible here, but a fairly significant point is rather casually unveiled.

Now that I think on the subject.... Stay away from voice actor videos as well....

So, stuck at work and I can't watch the videos, but quick question: is there any limit on switching between favorites? Like, you cant do it when skills are on cooldown or something?

Killzig

Also started thinking about control mapping on PC. I'm thinking the movement will be your standard WASD, CTRL, SHIFT, SPACE. The three powers are the question. If we can't map a ton of powers to hotkeys along the numbers, I might prefer to avoid using the numbers. I'm thinking the two thumb/side buttons on the mouse, then ALT for the third. I know some people don't like mapping ALT to anything important, but I have big hands and reach over to the left easily with my thumb. Do it all the time for games. And then maybe TAB for the power wheel? This is assuming M/KB users are 'stuck' with the controller UI.

Obviously we'll have to go hands on before we're sure but any other M/KB users planning a particular setup in their head yet?

I'm assuming it will be something like The Division's PC controls where Q and E are the L/R Bumper power and T or some other nearby key is the LB+RB.

Mindlog

Soat work and I anticipated watch the videos, but quick question: is there any limit on switching between favorites? Like, you cant do it when skills are on cooldown or something?
From what I gleaned you get 4 favorites and switching between favorites puts all powers on cooldown. I don't believe being on cooldown limits your ability to switch.

From what I gleaned you get 4 favorites and switching between favorites puts all powers on cooldown. I don't believe being on cooldown limits your ability to switch.
Putting them all on cooldown works too. Was mostly worried about 12-power alpha strikes trivializing combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom