• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Well it is true that you'll be able to fully level up every single skill and ability, it may take 2-3 playthroughs for that, or possibly some grinding on the first playthrough -- but it'll likely be a while into the game before you'd have enough points to be a Biotic and Tech and Solider god at the same time.
Uh if it takes multiple playthroughs, then it is irrelevant to the issue in question

Here's a new Initiative video on weapons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNE-8pArnR8
You can have mods that let shotguns shoot lasers and ARs shoot lightning.

Oh, and official system requirements:
C5cu4_aWQAEVwLT.jpg:large

My laptop is technically under the min spec, but only just. Won't be my primary way to play, but if I end up double dipping to run multi with friends I can probably make it work.

The new videos motivated me to go back to series playthrough. Yesterday I was on Feros, and that leader of the evil research scientists, when he flipped out and pulled his gun on me,
his eyeball popped onto the outside of his skull, Glenn-style

Warning: extremely old Walking Dead spoilers!

Retrofluxed

Anyone notice is seems like you can go lefty or righty for powers and wielding weapons? I wonder if that is something you can choose during character creation.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The new videos motivated me to go back to series playthrough. Yesterday I was on Feros, and that leader of the evil research scientists, when he flipped out and pulled his gun on me,
his eyeball popped onto the outside of his skull, Glenn-style

Thank god I catched up to season 7 of TWD only a week ago, I would have hated you for spoiling that in a Mass Effect thread!

Tovarisc

Anyone notice is seems like you can go lefty or righty for powers and wielding weapons? I wonder if that is something you can choose during character creation.

You can freely swap side of weapon during gameplay. Makes cornering easier and less frustrating.

God if there's one thing immediately apparent in both the latest briefing and the latest gameplay trailers is that weapons sounds are awful. How do we go from meaty high-impact sounds to pee-shooter underwhelming stuff like this boggles the mind.

And shotguns using shells all of the sudden instead of the standard weapon heat-sink tech they used in the trilogy, the fuck is this call of duty esque retcon?

Tovarisc

God if there's one thing immediately apparent in both the latest briefing and the latest gameplay trailers is that weapons sounds are awful. How do we go from meaty high-impact sounds to pee-shooter underwhelming stuff like this boggles the mind.

And shotguns using shells all of the sudden instead of the standard weapon heat-sink tech they used in the trilogy, the fuck is this call of duty esque retcon?

All weapons from Milky Way are still using those heat-sink ammo clip thingies. Maybe every shotgun shot requires its own thingy?

Luxorek

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We went from no ammo weapons in ME1 to the whole galaxy using 'thermal clips' in ME2 in a span of two years. This is miniscule compared to that.

Yeul

Yay congrats to the team! It's been a long time coming but the fact that we'll have a new Mass Effect to play soon is exciting. Don't remind me of the fact that I'm 5 years older though oh god.

It might just be the laser shotgun thing. Each "shell" might be a single shot laser and you stick 4 of them into the gun to get a decent spread without diffusing the laser.

So then they admit it's a terrible design recton meant to cater to the lowest common denominator and remove the sense of separate identity the original weapons had? Sigh.
Something like that is so inconsequential to me that I didn't even really notice it at first. Other weapons still eject singular thermal clips. Hopefully other things in the game are to your liking :)

:(

In 2149 we discovered the Charon Relay and 27 years later we want to explore another galaxy? Please tell me there's a good reason for it, tell me Jien Garson touched a prothean beacon and created the Andromeda Initiative to get the hell out of the galaxy before the reapers arrive, or something... :(

Please don't tell me "Lol let's explore another galaxy" is the only reason behind the initiative...

FkNmj2g.gif

Tovarisc

In 2149 we discovered the Charon Relay and 27 years later we want to explore another galaxy? Please tell me there's a good reason for it, tell me Jien Garson touched a prothean beacon and created the Andromeda Initiative to get the hell out of the galaxy before the reapers arrive, or something... :(

Please don't tell me "Lol let's explore another galaxy" is the only reason behind the initiative...

FkNmj2g.gif

I'm VERY surprised if at the beginning we don't get text summarizing reasons for Initiative [references to original trilogy, Reaper threat], duration of trip etc. I just hope they don't do some stupid in-your-face exposition in the game dialogue itself.

DevilDog

Something like that is so inconsequential to me that I didn't even really notice it at first.

You know, when devs take time to adress things that are so subtle and inconsequential, it breathes in so much passion into it, and makes it a whole lot more immersive.

Most people have no idea why the Citadel spaceports are on the Presidium Ring, and they will probably never going to find out. Yet the writers took time to adress it.

DOWN

Banned
So then they admit it's a terrible design recton meant to cater to the lowest common denominator and remove the sense of separate identity the original weapons had? Sigh.

I'm confused. You dislike the Thermal clips retcon that happened in ME2, or you dislike the second retcon that has changed them for Andromeda again.

Congrats to the devs on the game going gold.

About the thermal clips, I didn't like the 'retcon' in ME2 and it was pretty blatant but I can understand why it was done for various reasons. At least we're getting ME1-like weapons again so I'm good.

Also, glad to see system requirements, I hope my GTX 770 can pull 1080p high at 30FPS, I'll be more than happy if that's the case.

I'm confused. You dislike the Thermal clips retcon that happened in ME2, or you dislike the second retcon that has changed them for Andromeda again.

The fact that instead of a unique space shotgun we now have wannabe double-barrel reload shotgun. It's basically saying our players are too dumb to understand this is a shotgun and so we're going to make it look and feel like a weapon from the 1900's when in actuality it's a weapon from the 2100's.

It's the same issue with the powers, instead of having cool powers whizzing across to targets we now just generically throw our hand up and fire and ice comes out.

Whatever special identity this series had is slowly slipping away and deviating hard into the realm of other bland sci-fi properties. I can't even muster the energy to get angry, it's just sad and depressing.

Mindlog

It's the same issue with the powers, instead of having cool powers whizzing across to targets we now just generically throw our hand up and fire and ice comes out.
Powers are still exactly as they were. The only thing new is the arc projector is now a tech ability.

The Biotic Explosions sounded like crap. I hope it was just a video artifact.

Y'all keep seeing retcon, but given the context I kinda don't think you know what it means.

Well, it was not exactly a 'retcon' in the conventional sense BUT it was pretty much a bullshity excuse to introduce a reload mechanic. Sure, it was adapted to barely fit into the lore but it exchanged one of the most fresh and unique elements of the first game for something we have all over the place in every single other shooter.

Again, I see why they did it but I surely didn't appreciate it.

Lt-47

The fact that instead of a unique space shotgun we now have wannabe double-barrel reload shotgun. It's basically saying our players are too dumb to understand this is a shotgun and so we're going to make it look and feel like a weapon from the 1900's when in actuality it's a weapon from the 2100's.

Please don't tell me you really believe this nonsensical explanation. You really need to look at how art decision are made in video game if you do

Andromeda as both so I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.

ME3 ending is the reason. You know it, we all do. No amount of incredible writing is going to make this seem not obvious (just like the thermal clip)

Tovarisc

How Bioware's replacement for Paragon/Renegade affects your Mass Effect: Andromeda character

Mass Effect: Andromeda lead designer Ian Frazier gave us an answer, and also went into more detail about why Paragon and Renegade got the boot.

"We let you switch [personalities] whenever you want, so even if you've been playing for 40 hours, always making jokes, you're like nope, I'm serious now... we'll let you do that," Frazier said. "But the game is tracking under the hood how much you've chosen those different options, and we build a little psych profile for you based on that. Now it's not that everybody you walk up to is like 'you're that guy that's always joking!' But it may come up in conversation, and particularly specific things you've chosen over the course of the game, may come back to haunt you in either a good way or a bad way. Folks will remember certain decisions. Not in a more systemic way, but literally this one specific decision's going to get referenced back at this point later."

Frazier explained that in Andromeda's codex, there's an entry called "The Journey So Far" that tracks your Ryder's particular experience: " the main story decisions you've made, what kind of relationships have you formed with your family, squadmates, and crew, and some other key characters." It will also contain your psych profile "which is tracking 'okay, you have taken the casual option every single opportunity.' Or 'you take every single interrupt or narrative action the moment they're available. You're super impulsive, super casual.' It'll give you that clear feedback on what you've chosen to be. But it's purely there so you understand what you've made. It's not feeding back into a system somewhere else."

Your decisions still matter, in other words, and so does your behavior: your actions will obviously have consequences to the story, but so will how you shape your personality.

And some more at http://www.pcgamer.com/how-biowares...affects-your-mass-effect-andromeda-character/

Edit: Interview with Andromeda lead designer Ian Frazier: http://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-...r-on-fulfilling-the-promise-of-mass-effect-1/

Please don't tell me you really believe this nonsensical explanation. You really need to look at how art decision are made in video game if you do.

So it's a non-explainable art decision , is that supposed to be a solid, justifiable reason for the changes? BioWare of the Mass Effect 2 and 3 era had the respect to maintain the consistency of appearance and functionality of their weapons. The games may have changed but the weapons and how they looked and felt did not. So why is "art decision" suddenly a valid excuse now? If they were so desperate to try out this new shotgun style why not make an entirely new weapon and have these things featured on it instead of retroactively ruining an existing weapon?

Andromeda as both so I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.

That it shouldn't even be split into two in the first place and that you should have the capability to throw these abilities from the start like every other Mass Effect game....?

Whatever special identity this series had is slowly slipping away and deviating hard into the realm of other bland sci-fi properties. I can't even muster the energy to get angry, it's just sad and depressing.

Man, it's the Katana. It's the dullest shotgun in the entire series bar none. It's the Avenger of shotguns but without that gun's strange and distinctive profile. It has no identity for them to "ruin". If they wanna give it a bit more personality by doing this I'm down for that.

You're also being ridiculously reductive about the ice and fire powers. There are still plenty of strange and interesting abilities in the game, including holdovers from previous titles.

How Bioware's replacement for Paragon/Renegade affects your Mass Effect: Andromeda character

Mass Effect: Andromeda lead designer Ian Frazier gave us an answer, and also went into more detail about why Paragon and Renegade got the boot.

"We let you switch [personalities] whenever you want, so even if you've been playing for 40 hours, always making jokes, you're like nope, I'm serious now... we'll let you do that," Frazier said. "But the game is tracking under the hood how much you've chosen those different options, and we build a little psych profile for you based on that. Now it's not that everybody you walk up to is like 'you're that guy that's always joking!' But it may come up in conversation, and particularly specific things you've chosen over the course of the game, may come back to haunt you in either a good way or a bad way. Folks will remember certain decisions. Not in a more systemic way, but literally this one specific decision's going to get referenced back at this point later."

Frazier explained that in Andromeda's codex, there's an entry called "The Journey So Far" that tracks your Ryder's particular experience: " the main story decisions you've made, what kind of relationships have you formed with your family, squadmates, and crew, and some other key characters." It will also contain your psych profile "which is tracking 'okay, you have taken the casual option every single opportunity.' Or 'you take every single interrupt or narrative action the moment they're available. You're super impulsive, super casual.' It'll give you that clear feedback on what you've chosen to be. But it's purely there so you understand what you've made. It's not feeding back into a system somewhere else."

Your decisions still matter, in other words, and so does your behavior: your actions will obviously have consequences to the story, but so will how you shape your personality.

And some more at http://www.pcgamer.com/how-biowares...affects-your-mass-effect-andromeda-character/

Edit: Interview with Andromeda lead designer Ian Frazier: http://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-...r-on-fulfilling-the-promise-of-mass-effect-1/

Sounds good. Wonder if we'll be able to export our Journey So Far entries? Might be fun to able to compare/contrast easily.

You're also being ridiculously reductive about the ice and fire powers. There are still plenty of strange and interesting abilities in the game, including holdovers from previous titles.

Like what? We've seen almost everything there is, in video form. The only abilities that even look remotely like their counterparts in other games is charge and singularity. Is that all I can hope for?

Mindlog

Like what? We've seen almost everything there is, in video form. The only abilities that even look remotely like their counterparts in other games is charge and singularity. Is that all I can hope for?
Seriously. How is the tech power significantly different from the Arc Thrower, Flamethrower, or Snapfreeze?

Lt-47

That it shouldn't even be split into two in the first place and that you should have the capability to throw these abilities from the start like every other Mass Effect game....?

What's your point ? How is fireball so awesome and original that they shouldn't alter it in anyway ? (Edit: Incinerate is still in, so it make even less sense)

So it's a non-explainable art decision , is that supposed to be a solid, justifiable reason for the changes? BioWare of the Mass Effect 2 and 3 era had the respect to maintain the consistency of appearance and functionality of their weapons. The games may have changed but the weapons and how they looked and felt did not. So why is "art decision" suddenly a valid excuse now? If they were so desperate to try out this new shotgun style why not make an entirely new weapon and have these things featured on it instead of retroactively ruining an existing weapon?

ME 1 had freakin' sniper rifle that you "reload" like a bolt-action rifle for no reason at all. We had space battle that goes against everything in the codex, nuke canon in all but name that should blow you up given the lore and they are dozen more example of thing that make little sense throughout the trilogy. We've had so many rule of cool since day one, that a random animator thinking it be nice to have a unique reload animation doesn't phase me at all.

Honestly if this is ruining this (unremarkable) weapons for your you should just relax and maybe not play the game because there's probably more of that coming and it's very likely going to make you angry

Like hell we have. Unless I've missed it, Nova, Shockwave, Concussive Shot, Grenades, Throw, Energy Drain and Incinerate are all unseen so far. That's a whole discipline's worth of skills old skills that haven't been touched yet. And though you hate it, Flamethrower looks to operate just like the ME3 multi one, Pull has a mode that works just like the old version, and Turret looks like the same damn skill. Exactly how many of the old powers do you want carried over?

edit: Oh man I just saw that you can now direct or detonate the turret, that's so cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom