• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralemont

not me
Okay so from the exploration trailer, SAM says,
"The Remnant monolith suggests that this was indeed supposed to be a Golden World." That's pretty interesting, right, given what we know?

prag16

Banned
Eep. Not sure if I want to see the first 13 minutes or not... So tempting.

If you've been following this thread closely, there's nothing all that spoilery really. I guess what's going on with the NPC twin at the outset is a (somewhat unsurprising) spoiler, but that's about it.

I watched it and have no regrets. Though I tend to be unable to black myself out of things like this prelaunch in general.

Yeul

If you've been following this thread closely, there's nothing all that spoilery really. I guess what's going on with the NPC twin at the outset is a (somewhat unsurprising) spoiler, but that's about it.

I watched it and have no regrets. Though I tend to be unable to black myself out of things like this prelaunch in general.

Yeah honestly, I tried to go on a "partial" blackout for DA:I but in the end it didn't matter since most of the stuff they showed was pretty self-contained. I could understand if people don't want to see the introduction, though. I just went all in lol.

Vengal

Yeah honestly, I tried to go on a "partial" blackout for DA:I but in the end it didn't matter since most of the stuff they showed was pretty self-contained. I could understand if people don't want to see the introduction, though. I just went all in lol.

I tried that then the hinterlands happened. Someone should ask them if a hinterlands equivalent situation exists here to help out the people who want to go on a complete blackout.

amoebae

FlNtkUi.gif

Really like that they are doing this.

This was one of my favourite parts of the trailer. It really situates you in the universe rather than just having the galaxy map representation of your location. I can't wait to get hold of hattiwatti's tools for this for some planet photography.

amoebae

I'm not watching that first 13 minutes. I remember watching all the gameplay footage that came out before ME2 and I've got to say it really did impact my enjoyment of the game. I mean, I still enjoyed it but it had lost some of that awe of discovery.

I'm saving any real footage (outside of official trailers and non-spoilery preview footage) until early access when I can see it for myself. I know I'll enjoy it a lot more that way. So I for one greatly appreciate spoiler tags being used in this thread.

One interesting thing of note is that Scott is wearing casual clothing on that planet outpost that Sara was wearing full body armour for in the december gameplay video. Does that mean we can just randomly go to planets with no armour? lol

They can put in all this detail but not a day/night cycle? :(
Different planets were given different weather and environmental conditions to differentiate them and make them all feel unique and their own.

I like a good day/night cycle (Horizon, Witcher), but I can understand what they were going for too.

One interesting thing of note is that Scott is wearing casual clothing on that planet outpost that Sara was wearing full body armour for in the december gameplay video. Does that mean we can just randomly go to planets with no armour? lol
No, you can there because it's a hub.

FlNtkUi.gif

Really like that they are doing this.
This part blew me away. Undoubtedly the best trailer they have shown thus far. So excited to play this.

Though after watching the trailer, I do have a couple of questions that I wonder if shinobi or others could answer. How many planets are there for you to explore? The guy in the trailer said
a handful
which makes me a little worried. Even smaller and linear environments would be good to add some variety and make you feel like you are exploring this huge cluster.

Also, Nomad was a bit slow... ? I know he said you can upgrade the boost but can you improve the default speed? I basically wanted a Mako 2.0, but speed wise, this one seems more like it's in-between DA:I's horses and Mako from ME1.

Different planets were given different weather and environmental conditions to differentiate them and make them all feel unique and their own.

I like a good day/night cycle (Horizon, Witcher), but I can understand what they were going for too.

No, you can there because it's a hub.

Would be cool if they had it though. They can have different lengths depending on the planet with cold planets getting even colder at night making night travel more dangerous and hot planets would get colder making them less dangerous. Also it's good for the immersion.

Sara's not wearing armor there, she's in the under armor.

Looks like actual armour (just not as bulky) to me. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would that not imply then that there's no seamless transition between planet hubs and the explorable world, because you'd have to somehow switch back to full armour?

Ralemont

not me
This part blew me away. Undoubtedly the best trailer they have shown thus far. So excited to play this.

Though after watching the trailer, I do have a couple of questions that I wonder if shinobi or others could answer. How many planets are there for you to explore? The guy in the trailer said
a handful
which makes me a little worried. Even smaller and linear environments would be good to add some variety and make you feel like you are exploring this huge cluster.

Also, Nomad was a bit slow... ? I know he said you can upgrade the boost but can you improve the default speed? I basically wanted a Mako 2.0, but speed wise, this one seems more like it's in-between DA:I's horses and Mako from ME1.

Nomad has 2 modes, one for speed one for terrain traversal, plus a boost. It'll be way faster than ME1 Mako.

The desert planet is seriously giving me Dune vibes. Hopefully it's filled with interesting unique locations and the terrain isn't anything like mass effect 1.

Once found, each of these Forward Stations acts as a fast travel point, allowing you to change your loadout or call the Nomad if it gets lost or destroyed.

It appears the Nomad can be completely destroyed? Meaning you have to hoof it to the next fast travel point on foot if you want to get it back?

Killzig

Looks like actual armour (just not as bulky) to me. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would that not imply then that there's no seamless transition between planet hubs and the explorable world, because you'd have to somehow switch back to full armour?

Compare to the character kit, you can see it's the same under armor but it's missing the shoulders, chest plate, etc.

I don't know where the transition to fully kitted out would be. Maybe when you pop in/out of the nomad or hit one of those camp beacons.

So since they confirmed there's an outpost hub on that desert planet. If we're wearing casual clothing in hubs it's gonna be super awkward having that deluxe edition hoodie on.

Scott Ryder dies of heat exhaustion. Game Over.

From the first 13 minutes, I still for the life of me can't understand some comments on the animations. They're perfectly in line with other huge RPGs of similar caliber. Heck I'd say they're better a good amount of the time.

From the first 13 minutes, I still for the life of me can't understand some comments on the animations. They're perfectly in line with other huge RPGs of similar caliber. Heck I'd say they're better a good amount of the time.

Sorry Shinobi, that's not the GAF Approved Narrative™

Killzig

I've only seen one or two gifs (the silly walk made me lol), but yeah they're mostly fine. The mouths all look a little weird when they're talking, but nothing most RPG players aren't used to by now. Maybe I am just blind.

I've only seen one or two gifs (the silly walk made me lol), but yeah they're mostly fine. The mouths all look a little weird when they're talking, but nothing most RPG players aren't used to by now. Maybe I am just blind.
I've been told lip syncing and some weird animations have been fixed in the day one patch. Hopefully that'll quell whatever's left :)

Yeul

95% of the animation comments aren't worth the effort to "understand". Everyone looks fine, I admired some of the subtlety of a few of the character's animations and thought they were very well done.

I'm okay with most of the animations that they've shown so far. But I gotta admit that some of the gifs/pic that people come up with are so damn funny. Like, the Shrek picture in the 13 minutes video thread, made me legit chuckle.

Killzig

95% of the animation comments aren't worth the effort to "understand". Everyone looks fine, I admired some of the subtlety of a few of the character's animations and thought they were very well done.

The withering look from Dad plus Scott and Cora standing to attention was really well done.

Yeul

I'm okay with most of the animations that they've shown so far. But I gotta admit that some of the gifs/pic that people come up with are so damn funny. Like, the Shrek picture in the 13 minutes video thread, made me legit chuckle.

Yeah that one pic definitely made me laugh lol.

The withering look from Dad plus Scott and Cora standing to attention was really well done.

That's exactly the moment I was talking about! Alec looked great.

Don't play the copy paste card on me about "Oh here goes the animation troll again". Lips don't pop out of your face like that. It looks like a bug to me (anchor points or something, I know nothing about animation) that's why I asked and that's why I posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom