• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For DAI I seem to remember them doing a twitch stream showing off some gameplay and answering some questions. I really liked that approach. I remember we saw the Redcliffe Castle level in some detail (can't remember if it was part of that stream though) - which was an interesting choice considering its narrative role in the final game (oh the speculation it created with what happens to Leliana, heh).

I'd love if they did something similar for MEA. Everyone feels pretty pumped after something like that. I'm guessing at this stage though they're probably not going to.

shinobi - any ideas if we might see something like that?

Yeah, I remember those streams as well. Mike Laidlaw showed off some of the advanced classes, a bit of the Hinterlands, and the "tactical" camera.

I don't think some of the animations shown look that great but the way some people are talking about them you'd think every character is walking around in a t-pose.

From the YT video I posted the vast majority of animations are good. Making a mountain out of a molehill like usual.

I don't think some of the animations shown look that great but the way some people are talking about them you'd think every character is walking around in a t-pose.
It's sort of how these things go. Once someone is intent on creating a narrative, they pour over every frame of pre-release footage to cherry pick examples, make a few convenient gifs, and then keep fucking that chicken until it becomes the predominant opinion simply by volume.

something something her emails something something

Honestly, beside a few weird face expressions here and there, I didn't notice anything wrong about the animations until I saw those gifs. Which I can understand how people might be frustrated/disappointed about, but they just mostly crack me up. Especially the FemRyder one from the beginning of that 17 minutes gameplay lol

I have my worries about the game but animations is not really one of them. After that 17min gameplay, I'm mostly concerned about the quality of writing and quest design. But of course no one actually likes to talk about those (which ironically should be more important) and people just continue spamming the same old gifs.

At this point, for me, Bioware threads are just
EIuAoxemA.gif

Garlador

Yes, but everything is telling me that they needed more time for polish.

This is still my biggest concern.

I hope it pans out great, but there's been quite a bit of very late-game things that have given me pause lately. I don't doubt it'll be GOOD, but I'm not confident yet that it's necessarily ready for prime-time without some expansive patches first.

My wife shares my sentiments. We've had the game lingering in our Amazon cart for a month now, but neither of us have yet pulled the trigger.

With a 5 day early access period, at least it gives everyone an ample chance to see if it's going to be one of those games that comes in hot with a lot of release day bugs or not.

I guess the one thing that gives me confidence it'll be alright in terms of polish is that with the early access, it's not like it seems EA is trying to hide the state of the game on day 1. Everyone who watches this stuff will know day -5 if it needed more time in the oven or not and delay their purchase accordingly.

Aside: The animation complaints are silly. Horizon is getting critical acclaim and has the same issues. No one gives a shit if some facial animations are a little awkard or jerky.

According to twitter PS4 North American preloads are up on the 14th and on the 21st for EU.

Xbox version is already available for pre-load. (XB1 filesize without the day-one patch is 42 GB)

EDIT: PC pre-load is March 17th apparently. A bit strange considering the Origin Access trial starts on the 16th.

Regarding EA Access, did anyone who is usually extremely fussy about being subjected to too many spoilers partake in the EA Access trial of Dragon Age Inquisition? And if you did, did it negatively impact your eventual enjoyment of the actual game once it released?

Regarding EA Access, did anyone who is usually extremely fussy about being subjected to too many spoilers partake in the EA Access trial of Dragon Age Inquisition? And if you did, did it negatively impact your eventual enjoyment of the actual game once it released?

Easier said than done when you've got the first Mass Effect game in 5 years at your fingertips but I personally recommend saving the trial for the last couple of days before launch. That way you can play (depending on how much free time you have) in 3-5 hour spurts and just seamlessly continue once midnight launch happens.

I wouldn't say it hurt my feelings for Inquisition but it did drive me mad that I couldn't binge-play the hell out of it. Also the notification that spams the screen saying you have so-and-so time left is a bit annoying but again...small sacrifices to play a new Mass Effect game early.

And if you're a huge stickler for spoilers I would bail the fuck out of this forum and most of the internet when that trial hits. All sorts of details are gonna leak from datamining, reviews, and early copies from the guidebook.

diaspora

WIP

I've set up a discord, but I'm hashing out the best way to send invites. Probably will post a link in email tags for people to quote and retreieve once a day when we get closer to the Origin/EA Access release.

According to twitter PS4 North American preloads are up on the 14th and on the 21st for EU.

Xbox version is already available for pre-load. (XB1 filesize without the day-one patch is 42 GB)

EDIT: PC pre-load is March 17th apparently. A bit strange considering the Origin Access trial starts on the 16th.
I think that might be wrong. PS4 pre-loads almost always go up two days before launch.

parabolee

Hey guys,

Anyone interested in a Mass Effect fan game? Check out this point and click adventure "demake" of Mass Effect -

NQctEy5.png

0bfWsOH.png

GlY4sbK.png

While Mass Effect Andromeda won't see his return, Commander Shepard still has one more adventure in him!
​
A fan project and driven by a passion for classic point and click adventure games and more importantly the Mass Effect series; The Adventures of Commander Shepard is a fan-fiction “demake” and love letter to both.

FEATURES
​
  • Over 1 hour of classic point and click gameplay
  • Animated intro
  • Built in hint system
  • Multiple endings
  • Paragon or Renegade choices!

Check it out here - The Adventures of Commander Shepard -Website

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I wish they would delay it to be honest, way to close to Zelda and Horizon, not gonna help the game at all IMO.

Also, polish and performance will be key to success with people gunning for the game since ME3.

I wish they would delay it to be honest, way to close to Zelda and Horizon, not gonna help the game at all IMO.

Also, polish and performance will be key to success with people gunning for the game since ME3.

I mean, I've got my own gripes with some of the stuff shown but nothing has indicated an extreme lack of polish or huge performance issues.

The game has gone gold and it's already up for preload. If it somehow is a buggy mess the only thing saving it at this point is a barrage of pre-launch patches.

Delaying the game 18 days out would be unprecedented and would only fuel the concern more than it would stop.

Yeul

WIP

I've set up a discord, but I'm hashing out the best way to send invites. Probably will post a link in email tags for people to quote and retreieve once a day when we get closer to the Origin/EA Access release.

Looks cool! I really liked that old ARKCON logo. Do whatever you think is best, but yeah I think the way you're thinking about going about it would work just fine. Especially since the ME:A OT won't be going up until later, but at that point it can just be added to it if people are interested in playing and roles/permissions/text channels based on whatever system.

Yea, the lack of polish is going to really hurt the reviews and fuel the haters. They'll be all over every single janky facial animation, etc...Remember we've only seen the the ones Bioware has been ok with us seeing, and that's already been a shitstorm.

Going to be a messy launch I think.

Still will be absolute joy for me to play. This wait hurts me. I can hear Harbinger mocking me.

Renekton

There is no good time this year to release it lol, unless they wanna risk the summer-autumn drought.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No gameplay series update this week?

prag16

Banned

There's not much to indicate any extreme lack of polish. There's the usual Bioware jank plus minor performance issues noted by a small percentage of previewers. There's nothing to indicate the launch will be a "mess" as was said a few posts above this.

And come on. A delay two weeks out would be FAR more disastrous for the sentiment around the game than anything else that has transpired thus far.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The game has been in development for 5 years. If 5 years wasn't enough time for proper polish, I doubt another 6 months would change much except really minor stuff most people won't care/notice.

I just realized that I'm off work the week this releases!

Also, calling for a delay at this point is really just inane--doubly so if the people calling for the delay haven't had hands on and don't know what's already been fixed from the preview builds.

DevilDog

The game has been in development for 5 years. If 5 years wasn't enough time for proper polish, I doubt another 6 months would change much except really minor stuff most people won't care/notice.

That is wrong. The last 6 months can make so much difference it's insane. Polish happens in the last 2-3 months usually.

ME1 has the moon upside down because there wasn't enough time to polish. Same for the Checkpoints in Noveria and the inventory system. Just think about how easy they were to fix, but they couldn't because gamebreaking issues had to be handled first.

There's nothing to indicate the game's got a lack of polish. And again with early access 5 days before, that seems to indicate EA is confident it'll perform well enough.

That could of course all being wrong, but we don't know and I think the indicators are strong enough there's not really any reason to be worried.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That is wrong. The last 6 months can make so much difference it's insane. Polish happens in the last 2-3 months usually.

ME1 has the moon upside down because there wasn't enough time to polish. Same for the Checkpoints in Noveria and the inventory system. Just think about how easy they were to fix, but they couldn't because gamebreaking issues had to be handled first.

The game was originally planned to release at the end of 2016 no? So we already got our "polish delay".

diaspora

Looks cool! I really liked that old ARKCON logo. Do whatever you think is best, but yeah I think the way you're thinking about going about it would work just fine. Especially since the ME:A OT won't be going up until later, but at that point it can just be added to it if people are interested in playing and roles/permissions/text channels based on whatever system.

The discord stuff is going to be in the OT too, but since it won't be up until 24 hours until release I'll be posting it here. Just deciding between using the black/white/orange Pathfinder Initiative icon vs the blue/white Andromeda Initiative one. Plus figuring out how I want the channels and moderation to work.

DevilDog

The game was originally planned to release at the end of 2016 no? So we already got our "polish delay".

That's not how it works and I don't understand how it ties back to your original comment about 6 months not being enough time to polish a game.

Whatever, if BioWare wants to delay it, EA showed that they are willing. They don't so they must think it's ready.

Yeul

It just seems silly that anyone would bring up the idea of a delay. The game is coming out.

The discord stuff is going to be in the OT too, but since it won't be up until 24 hours until release I'll be posting it here. Just deciding between using the black/white/orange Pathfinder Initiative icon vs the blue/white Andromeda Initiative one. Plus figuring out how I want the channels and moderation to work.

Yeah definitely, totally understandable. I'm sure whatever you do it'll be good (if you need any help, let me know though I'm sure you're just fine lol).

Easier said than done when you've got the first Mass Effect game in 5 years at your fingertips but I personally recommend saving the trial for the last couple of days before launch. That way you can play (depending on how much free time you have) in 3-5 hour spurts and just seamlessly continue once midnight launch happens.

I wouldn't say it hurt my feelings for Inquisition but it did drive me mad that I couldn't binge-play the hell out of it. Also the notification that spams the screen saying you have so-and-so time left is a bit annoying but again...small sacrifices to play a new Mass Effect game early.

And if you're a huge stickler for spoilers I would bail the fuck out of this forum and most of the internet when that trial hits. All sorts of details are gonna leak from datamining, reviews, and early copies from the guidebook.

Thanks for the reply. And yeah, I'm planning on bailing out of the general internet on the 16th at the latest :)

I should have specified, but if I were to actually jump into Origin Access with this game, I'd be doing it on PC, and buying the game on PS4 afterwards, so I'd be replaying whatever 10 hours I'd be playing regardless.

That being said, I just noticed that I can subscribe for 7 days for free, so I might just try anyway. Remains to be seen if the trial has any restrictions when it comes to trying out this ME:A demo though.

Probably no better time than now to determine what the spoiler policy on Andromeda story is in this thread. If we're allowing complete free reign of unmarked story spoilers (non-trilogy) I might just have to give up this thread for the next month.

Xando

Probably no better time than now to determine what the spoiler policy on Andromeda story is in this thread. If we're allowing complete free reign of unmarked story spoilers (non-trilogy) I might just have to give up this thread for the next month.
Yeah imo we should tag all andromeda story spoilers from now on until atleast release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom