• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the day 1 patch available to all people who are seeing these weird animation glitches and things in cinematics? Just curious. Looks like they could've used a few more months to polish the game up.

MP is sooo good, I'll prolly be done with my remaining 6 hours today...
Vej2VfJ.gif

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Whatever happened to the launch trailer featuring Sara Ryder? Did Bioware forget or did I missed it?

Anyone think that the EA Access and the review emarbgo being the 20th isn't helping this pre-release timeframe?

I am purposely not reading Previews but noticed YouTubers able to comment or answer questions on what they're able to talk about now, but are unable to talk about some positives or aspects they really liked because that falls under embargo.

So we have all this discussion now about the beginning of the game but we won't be able to hear about the full game for another 4 days.
Yeah, if it turns out that the game does pick up after a slow and bland first few hours, they really fucked up with this story cap NDA for reviewers, and arguably the EA access trial in general. Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot to talk about other than how great the MP/combat is and how buggy the game is.

Bombless

Is the day 1 patch available to all people who are seeing these weird animation glitches and things in cinematics? Just curious. Looks like they could've used a few more months to polish the game up.

Yeah the day 1 patch is aparently included. And yeah, it definitely looks like EA shoves this out the door before the end of the fiscal year.

Vej2VfJ.gif

Hopefully today I'll be able to play games without rubberbanding/timewarp. I want to love this game :(

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Whatever happened to the launch trailer featuring Sara Ryder? Did Bioware forget or did I missed it?

Not out yet (that I've seen), no.

Probably waiting until launch day at this point, I'd imagine?

Yeah, if it turns out that the game does pick up after a slow and bland first few hours, they really fucked up with this story cap NDA for reviewers, and arguably the EA access trial in general.

I'm admittedly curious on this as well. IIRC some of more positive PCGamer journalists from that round-table article hinted at things being better after the cutoff point.

I hate this trial so much. I just want to spend hours and hours reading and really digging into things. But the 10 hours is constantly ticking down. It is killing me. Hurry up and be out, full game.

Think I'm gonna spring for the digital deluxe edition after all. It's 20 euros more expensive than the regular physical edition, but with the little bonuses and the ability to just boot up the game without the disc, I think it'll be worth in the long run.

Metroidvania

I did think that this article from Forbes (contributor) was interesting, at least in terms of the 'limitations' of the press only being allowed to talk about up to Eos.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...eda-to-have-piecemeal-embargoes/#baebb57690ef

I worry about the EA Access trial for players because Eos is probably the worst planet to introduce people to the game.

In this instance, again, Eos was the wrong planet to start on. In its initial form, it’s covered with radiation so you cannot go many places. Without getting into specifics, this is not accurately representative of either the full scope of Eos, or other planets that are less restrictive/more interesting.

For instance, one of my “first impressions” was that the new Nomad didn’t feel enough like the Mako to be very fun. Well, thirty hours in, and that has changed, significantly. Upgrades and new zones altered that aspect of the game dramatically.

chaislip3

I did think that this article from Forbes (contributor) was interesting, at least in terms of the 'limitations' of the press only being allowed to talk about up to Eos.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...eda-to-have-piecemeal-embargoes/#baebb57690ef

This is good news. I like Eos well enough so far, but the Nomad is super weak at the moment and it's not as easy as I would like to traverse the planet. I definitely can't wait to upgrade it.

Also, maybe a stupid question, but how do you pick which squad mates to bring? First time I landed on Eos I automatically had Cora and Liam but I wanted to go with her and Vetra.

B00TE

It's funny, in regards to the MP, two classes I outright didn't enjoy in the other games I love here (Infiltrator and Sentinel). Been playing them the most. A lot of the guns are really damn fun, and trying out different loadouts in tandem with the classes kit is still addicting as hell to me.

This is good news. I like Eos well enough so far, but the Nomad is super weak at the moment and it's not as easy as I would like to traverse the planet. I definitely can't wait to upgrade it.

Also, maybe a stupid question, but how do you pick which squad mates to bring? First time I landed on Eos I automatically had Cora and Liam but I wanted to go with her and Vetra.

Forward station, at least. I'm sure there must be an option before you go to a planet.

TISTAN4

Neo Member
I'm not down...it's not even solely about this game really. It's just a video game. I've had discussions with people who think the original games are shit, never bothered me. Heck I've called out a bunch of stuff in BioWare's games before that I think they could improve on.

I've just noticed the cynicism and pettiness rise over the past couple years. It's been building up, and constructive and valueable discussion waning. It's not the kind of community or group of people I like to chat up about games with. Once I start getting accused of astroturfing and junk like that, I realize what I say doesn't really mean anything. The circlejerking's gotten too large for meaningful and valuable discourse.

You all have been fun to chat with, and I've loved all the great people I've met from this site, but it's not worth it since it's become an echo chamber.
Hello Gaf and shinobi, this is my first post on here actually lol. I have been lurking on gaf for the past couple years or so and I've actually had this account for a while but never wanted to post honestly because of what you mentioned with the pettiness and cynical nature. Which I can understand at times with this industry. Hell in real life I'm pretty cynical myself but its video games. I play and talk about video games to have fun and I try to see the best in games which I feel like people around here don't do very often. While I've been lurking you've always been a great poster and your positivity and the way you hope for the best is nice to read. So I hope you don't leave the community. Now back to lurking and waiting for Tuesday for me. I'm still super excited for ME:A. Animations, bugs, etc. I'm prepared to deal with all the warts because I know more likely than not I'm gonna love it regardless.

Maledict

So, if we ignore the bad animations and faces, it seems like one of the major issues is that Biowarr effectively limited to the trial to the Hinterlands. Everyone is saying that the first planet doesn't really show what the game is about, which seems remarkably familiar to the 'leave the hinterlands!' Message we have everyone for DA:I.

It's curious for me, because I consider the start of Me2 to be one of the best in any roleplaying game - incredibly fast, with access to abilities and combat in minutes, and a follow/up rail roaded mission before the main game unlocked that taught you what you needed to know. Is it something to do with their shift towards more open world games that has left these poor starting zones that don't really convey how good the rest of the game is?

Mass Effect is effectively an open world RPG. It also cements the "new kid on the block" thing with us literally being new to the galaxy. On top of all of that, this game is basically the length of the entire trilogy combined. I don't think it comes as much of a surprise that there's gonna be a ramp up. I think that's something that should be very evident to everyone.

ACR0019

Mass Effect is effectively an open world RPG. It also cements the "new kid on the block" thing with us literally being new to the galaxy. On top of all of that, this game is basically the length of the entire trilogy combined. I don't think it comes as much of a surprise that there's gonna be a ramp up. I think that's something that should be very evident to everyone.

Yeah, if this game is 60+ hours of story content, why condemn it based on 1/12 of its content? The Hinterlands were the worst part of Inquisition and they used it as an introductory hub.

Metroidvania

Honestly my only major beef thus far aside from the subjective state of the eyes/animations (side note, I do think that adjusting the pupil size/eye shaders, as seen in one of the other threads, would help me overlook some other issues) is the amount of time it takes to manually 'fly' over to each point of interest on each solar system.

I don't want to take the 10-ish seconds to see myself fly over, have the camera zoom too close, and then magically reset itself....only to get 80 iron resources from a random asteroid.

And then I have to take another 10+ seconds to fly away to the next planet.

I get the transition time is probably hiding some form of loading, but I can see that getting tedious really fast.

It's funny, in regards to the MP, two classes I outright didn't enjoy in the other games I love here (Infiltrator and Sentinel). Been playing them the most. A lot of the guns are really damn fun, and trying out different loadouts in tandem with the classes kit is still addicting as hell to me.

Yo asari valkyrie(sentinel), n7 paladin (sentinel) and asari huntress (infiltrator) were legit in me3mp, huntress was top tier even.
Did you not play mp in me3? Because most of andromeda mp is pretty much lifted straight from me3mp.

It's definitely a loading thing. I personally don't have too much of an issue with it. I liken it to riding your horse to wherever you need to go in The Witcher 3. Sure, you could fast travel or whatever, but that wasn't instant either. I personally like that sort of "immersion"or whatever you want to call it, but I can see how that would start to grate if you weren't tolerant to that sort of stuff.

B00TE

Yo asari valkyrie(sentinel), n7 paladin (sentinel) and asari huntress (infiltrator) were legit in me3mp, huntress was top tier even.
Did you not play mp in me3? Because most of andromeda mp is pretty much lifted straight from me3mp.

I played the hell out of it. I never had any of those classes outside of paladin, my RNG is/was straight shit lol. All I wanted since launch was a Krogan soldier and I never got him either, did have vanguard and battlemaster tho). Mainly talking about the base classes and how they gelled with how I typically like to play. They could be amazing, but if I didn't enjoy playing them, I didn't stick with it.

One thing that is becoming very clear to me is that Andromeda is more like Mass Effect 1 than any other game in the series. The focus on exploration, the somewhat absurdly complex rpg mechanics and expanded item system, and most notably the *pacing* of the game is very reminiscent of that first game. It introduces a lot of complexity right off the bat that isn't explained super well and combined with the slow burn of the story and rough presentation and it's immediately apparent to me why that is turning some people off.

chaislip3

Yeah I like everything about the galaxy map navigation except for the panning out that it does once you reach a planet. The extreme zoom in seems a bit unnecessary.

Garlador

As is a typical Mass Effect reaction, I am still deciding on the most important decision I'll ever make in the game...

... Who am I going to bang?

I'm leaning towards Vetra.
tumblr_omryglc6hd1s0r8d6o1_500.gif

Humans are too boring, and Asari are too predictable.

I played the hell out of it. I never had any of those classes outside of paladin, my RNG is/was straight shit lol. All I wanted since launch was a Krogan soldier and I never got him either, did have vanguard and battlemaster tho). Mainly talking about the base classes and how they gelled with how I typically like to play. They could be amazing, but if I didn't enjoy playing them, I didn't stick with it.

Ahh that's a shame, huntress and n7 fury were up there for my favourite classes.
Huntress is in andromeda though, hopefully she's still as fun as she was and you'll get to try her this time around.

Mezoly

I'm not down...it's not even solely about this game really. It's just a video game. I've had discussions with people who think the original games are shit, never bothered me. Heck I've called out a bunch of stuff in BioWare's games before that I think they could improve on.

I've just noticed the cynicism and pettiness rise over the past couple years. It's been building up, and constructive and valueable discussion waning. It's not the kind of community or group of people I like to chat up about games with. Once I start getting accused of astroturfing and junk like that, I realize what I say doesn't really mean anything. The circlejerking's gotten too large for meaningful and valuable discourse.

You all have been fun to chat with, and I've loved all the great people I've met from this site, but it's not worth it since it's become an echo chamber.

Funny enough I posted a similar post yesterday in the RPS impression thread. This is was a response to someone saying they wish MEA to fail and the whole franchise sink so they make Kotor. I don't what is it but I feel I'm outgrowing the childish arguments on gaming forums.

Boiware makes multiple games Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and new Ip. If they wanted to make Kotor none of those games need to flop for them to make Kotor. I understand the similarity between Mass Effect and Kotor. But wishing for a loved franchise new entry to fail is too much.

I don't know who upset many people here on Gaf this week but it's been the most negative week in gaf for a long time. Obviously this is anecdotal and I'm not saying that Gaf is one person. I'm just saying there have been an increase of negative posts for various topics. Maybe it's not new and I just noticed it or just the topics that I followed had been negative. Anyway I guess I'll take a break lol.

So, if we ignore the bad animations and faces, it seems like one of the major issues is that Biowarr effectively limited to the trial to the Hinterlands. Everyone is saying that the first planet doesn't really show what the game is about, which seems remarkably familiar to the 'leave the hinterlands!' Message we have everyone for DA:I.

It's curious for me, because I consider the start of Me2 to be one of the best in any roleplaying game - incredibly fast, with access to abilities and combat in minutes, and a follow/up rail roaded mission before the main game unlocked that taught you what you needed to know. Is it something to do with their shift towards more open world games that has left these poor starting zones that don't really convey how good the rest of the game is?

Seems so. PCGamer posted a more positive article that Andromeda hits its stride and faster than Inquisition and supposedly Mass Effect 1.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nine-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-i-started-playing-mass-effect-andromeda/

I'm leaning that way as well, but do we even have confirmation if she's a romance option?

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a spoiler but:

Datamining shows her as a romance option for both Ryders. There's a video of the Ryders flirting with different characters and she responds positively to both, as well.

Bombless

I wonder why they designed Eos like this. I'm seeing this everywhere and it's giving the game negativity because a lot of previewers only saw the game for 2-3 hours. Bizarre. I think EA/Bioware need a new marketing team. It also seems like a lot of people who were hard and negative on the game early started to forget about that right after they left Eos. Not very smart on Bioware's part. Slow pacing to start off a game could immediately kill it for some people.

Metroidvania

I wonder why they designed Eos like this. I'm seeing this everywhere and it's giving the game negativity because a lot of previewers only saw the game for 2-3 hours. Bizarre. I think EA/Bioware need a new marketing team. It also seems like a lot of people who were hard and negative on the game early started to forget about that right after they left Eos. Not very smart on Bioware's part. Slow pacing to start off a game could immediately kill it for some people.

While for me, at least, it's worth noting that the animations don't necessarily get better, I am interested in the notion that ME:A 'opens up' past the shadow of the trilogy when it presumably starts to get going, to the point of the animations becoming less of a drag for people once the 'good' story kicks in.

Honestly, from the way things are sounding, Eos (as far as the Early Access lets you play) is like a combination of the Hinterlands and Eden Prime.

You're thrown in, there's some exposition to set things up, but not a whole lot to really 'actively' pull you in as the player. There's no real 'payoff'.

The 'golden worlds' issue seems like the rift in DA:I - even with some minor context at first via the opening scenes, it doesn't really establish itself in the Hinterlands (on the first visit, at least), and takes until the 2nd/3rd map, where you're traveling along with your companions (especially Solas) to really get into the swing of things.

Dave_6

Vej2VfJ.gif

Hopefully I can try it out tonight. I didn't get to check the trial out till really late and then it hard froze on me so I just went to bed. That looks so good, just like ME3 was!

What are the side quests like guys? Please tell me they have plenty of detailed narrative side quests like TW3? I don't mind mundane stuff as I expect that in a big game but it needs to be balanced properly. That was probably the worst thing about DAI for me.

Maledict

Seems so. PCGamer posted a more positive article that Andromeda hits its stride and faster than Inquisition and supposedly Mass Effect 1.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nine-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-i-started-playing-mass-effect-andromeda/

Mass Effect 1 was one of the worse paced games of all time, so hopefully it's an improvement on that... ;-).

(Completing Eden Prime and then spending the next few hours in the citedal doing fetch quests was NOT the highlight of that game for me!)

What are the side quests like guys? Please tell me they have plenty of detailed narrative side quests like TW3? I don't mind mundane stuff as I expect that in a big game but it needs to be balanced properly. That was probably the worst thing about DAI for me.

This is a tricky one to answer because apparently all the real sidequesting in the game is beyond what the 10 hour trial allows and reviewers are embargoed from talking about anything past that.

However reports from the youtubers that got to spend 18 hours with the game a few weeks ago have promising things to say about the sidequests. It sounds like there's a mix of meaty multi-part sidequests along with more mundane DA:I style fetch and collection quests.

Edit: One thing to add to this though that is worth considering is that even for the DA:I style tasks in the game, those seem to be more enjoyable by virtue of the fact that Andromeda is actually super fun to play. So even those filler side stuff is at least more engaging.

Vengal

Oh it's more of a corollary than a direct cause. I've really been feeling a lack of enthusiasm for all of this (for example I skipped Horizon, which I never would have done a year ago), plus I'm 41 and my thumbs and wrists are sore all the time, etc. But all the bs doesn't help (Gamergate too).

I'm definitely going to spend less money on gaming this year than the past. We'll see how it goes beyond that.

Edit: OT 2's OP should definitely be just a copy/paste of this one's.

The Vicious BS surrounding this hobby is sad at times. Turning 31 this year and I've watched my free time diminish over time. I've fallen back to comfort food games now for the better part of a year and mass effect is definitely in that category for me.

I think the policy of not spending money on something you wont spend time on is a good one. I have a friend that has paid monthly for WoW and bought games for years and never plays them due to never having time.

Well back to to the trial to see how things go, maybe some multiplayer today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom