• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't agree that a Mass Effect trilogy port would infringe on Dragon Age sales. While there's a crossover in the fan base I think their mechanically and stylistically different enough that they ultimately reach different demographics. That and a port would probably struggle more than dominate against an entirely new game.

But much like Nirolak I don't believe they'll actually do it.

My only real desire/concern thus far is I really hope it's not a prequel and now that BioWare's using the Frostbite engine, they take better advantage of modern PC's power than they did with the first three games.

Gamepad support would be nice and really appreciated too. That and SEPERATE options for post-processing effects like motion blur, film grain, depth of field, lens flares, and HDR. I'm tired of having to edit .ini files because BioWare's too lazy to add toggle switches in the options menu.

I'll gladly buy a port just to not deal with the 360's version insane disk changing, the bug that doesn't let me play single player if I'm connected online and the constant freezes you in the game after the patches.

EDIT: WHOO HOOO I GOT THE UNWAVERING ACHIEVEMENT!!!!! I won't have to deal with Marauder Shields =D

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Say folks, is it wayyyy to late to jump into ME3 multiplayer right now?

Planning on double dipping ME Trilogy on PS3 now, and this time I'd like to try the multiplayer. Has it become a barren wasteland by now though?

GSR

Planning on double dipping ME Trilogy on PS3 now, and this time I'd like to try the multiplayer. Has it become a barren wasteland by now though?

PC version is still going fairly strong, but I can't speak for consoles.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
PC version is still going fairly strong, but I can't speak for consoles.

No idea, I've never played multiplayer.

Hmmm.

Although the idea of revisiting the ME world and platinuming all the three games is mightily tempting in itself mightily tempting.... but I want to try something new.

Anyways, anyone here with the PS3 version? EatChildren, maybe as the resident GAF's No. 1 Mass Effect Fan, you know?

Edit: the wording on the BioWare's website seems to indicate that cross-platform play is possible... can anyone clarify this? Also, in the PS3 version trilogy, ME2 already include Lair and Overlord...? But not Zaeed? Weird.

Nemesis_

I just finished watching what I assume is the first part of The Indoctrination Theory. Regardless of what I think about whether or not this theory is legitimate (I know I'm incredibly late to the discussion) I think it's admirable that this franchise commands such a dedicated fanbase that this kind of thing happens.

Are there any other long-form videos on YouTube about the series like this? Even ones concerned with the background and development of the games, not just necessarily fan theoy. I alsoI notice there's a part two and a part that is made after the extended cut came out - are they worth watching? I'm in a very Mass Effect-ish mood.

adj_noun

I just finished watching what I assume is the first part of The Indoctrination Theory. Regardless of what I think about whether or not this theory is legitimate (I know I'm incredibly late to the discussion) I think it's admirable that this franchise commands such a dedicated fanbase that this kind of thing happens.

Are there any other long-form videos on YouTube about the series like this? Even ones concerned with the background and development of the games, not just necessarily fan theoy. I alsoI notice there's a part two and a part that is made after the extended cut came out - are they worth watching? I'm in a very Mass Effect-ish mood.

I'd check out MrBTongue's Mass Effect Youtube videos. His non Mass Effect videos are pretty good too.

Video 1 (the ending)

Video 2 (indoc theory)

Video 3 (Additional Clarity and closure)

Video 4 (extended cut)

royalan

This is why I'm hoping that the new trilogy has little if ANYTHING to do with the original games outside of setting.

Bioware created one of my favorite worlds (universe?) of any franchise last gen. Minor inconsistencies aside, the mythos of Mass Effect really is well put-together. I want to see more, completely unrelated stories build the universe out even more.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I've put off my inaugural Femshep trilogy run in the hope of a next-gen port of the series... got half way through ME2 then thought I'd wait it out.

Go on BW, do it for Commander Alize Shepard!

Nemesis_

I'd check out MrBTongue's Mass Effect Youtube videos. His non Mass Effect videos are pretty good too.

Video 1 (the ending)

Video 2 (indoc theory)

Video 3 (Additional Clarity and closure)

Video 4 (extended cut)

Cheers, I'll get onto these at some point!

This is why I'm hoping that the new trilogy has little if ANYTHING to do with the original games outside of setting.

Bioware created one of my favorite worlds (universe?) of any franchise last gen. Minor inconsistencies aside, the mythos of Mass Effect really is well put-together. I want to see more, completely unrelated stories build the universe out even more.

Pretty much. I sat down to write a review for something and since I am on a bit of a Mass Effect high (I'm not replaying them until I get confirmation / de-confirmation of a trilogy redux on XBO/PS4) I've been reading a lot of the lore on the wiki and I've spent like two hours doing it. Such an interesting and fascinating world, there's so much here to work with. As you said, would be a huge waste to throw it away.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The confirmation bias is strong.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Cheers, I'll get onto these at some point!

My favorite part is his discussion on the Extended Cut:

"So you're telling me that several different civilizations collaborated across hundreds of thousands and possibly millions of years to design and build a machine whose purpose was to change something that they didn't know existed?"

ref

Yeah, I like the premise behind the whole 'Indoctrination Theory' thing, it's the only thing to me that makes that ending at least somewhat bearable, but I'm not silly enough to think this was BioWare's master plan all along.

It's just lazy and poor writing, and it's really unfortunate, but this didn't really come to a shock to me since I think most of ME3 was poorly written.

Nemesis_

Has it ever been discussed as to what BioWare wanted to do with the ending? I remember reading somewhere that what we ended up with was actually not what was planned all along and that there was a "grand plan" for things but for some reason everything changed last minute or something.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death already ._.

I just hope the Hammerhead or Mako are big part of the next Mass Effect.
I'm 99% sure they will be. They'd be crazy not to include it :)

prag16

Banned
The confirmation bias is strong.

Yep. I loved (LOVED) the indoctrination theory when it was being formulated.

However at NO POINT did I EVER delude myself into thinking it was actually BIoware's master plan. Anyone in THAT camp was indeed suffering from massive confirmation bias.

EatChildren

I don't believe 80% of it but it's still interesting to watch. So much of it is obvious game development constraints (re-using transition effects or textures or what not) but people like to look into things so much

Yeah, that interest me too. For me it personifies not just the strength of the series, but how gutted so many fans were by the ending, which in turn reflects on their investment. To construct hours worth of confirmation bias madness just to deflect the truth and live in ignorance shows how crazy invested many fans were.

Has it ever been discussed as to what BioWare wanted to do with the ending? I remember reading somewhere that what we ended up with was actually not what was planned all along and that there was a "grand plan" for things but for some reason everything changed last minute or something.

Narratively? No grand plan. Fans jumped on Drew's mention of the "dark energy" thing but he later reiterated that the concept was one of several on the drawing board that was ultimately discarded. "Beat the Reapers" seemed to be the only thing they had locked down. I believe Weekes also said that the "synthetics vs organics" was always a core theme too.

Mechnaically, Weekes I believe it was noted that they originally wanted the Earth mission to play a bit like the suicide mission, delegating companions and groups to certain tasks to see who will/won't make it through.

I just hope the Hammerhead or Mako are big part of the next Mass Effect.. Hopefully more loot/RPG elements.

: τ

astonish

My favorite part of the indoctrination theory is that it puts humanity in its place. That one (fem)shep, no matter how strong willed, can ward off a species of highly advanced AI's that have been indoctrinating multiple species for millennia has a bit to much human bravado for me. It certainly makes for a dark ending, especially in making all your efforts futile, but it would be unique.

Don't think its "the truth" though.

As much as I'm a Mass Effect fan I still haven't played with the Leviathan or Citadel packs after having a heartbreaking save-wipe incident. I guess its time for another run through...

Daemul

I was just messing around on the internet until I came across this unofficial Mass Effect Universe Galaxy Map.

Credit goes to otvert of deviantArt

mass_effect_galaxy_map_by_otvert-d5u3tvb.png

I have never understood why Alliance Space is so damn big. It's most likely a case of where Council Space is heavily colonised whilst Alliance space isn't, but damn Humans have spread themselves thin.

I was just messing around on the internet until I came across this unofficial Mass Effect Universe Galaxy Map.

I have never understood why Alliance Space is so damn big. It's most likely a case of where Council Space is heavily colonised whilst Alliance space isn't, but damn Humans have spread themselves thin.

That's probably the case. The asari have worlds like Illium, while humans have Eden Prime and Terra Nova.

Man, I was thinking about buying the trilogy on PC, but getting all the DLC costs around $110, shame they didn't do some kind of deal on that or include it. If they do an Xbox One and PS4 version, I'd imagine they would have it on the disc or they will mess up.

LuchaShaq

Banned

The most impressive thing about this is that the ending was so poorly written for many people like me there must be an explanation for this madness right? It can't just be EA intentionally spewing liquid shit into our faces.

X-Frame

I've put off my inaugural Femshep trilogy run in the hope of a next-gen port of the series... got half way through ME2 then thought I'd wait it out.

Go on BW, do it for Commander Alize Shepard!

Maybe they'll announce a next-gen port during E3? That would be amazing news.

Nemesis_

Narratively? No grand plan. Fans jumped on Drew's mention of the "dark energy" thing but he later reiterated that the concept was one of several on the drawing board that was ultimately discarded. "Beat the Reapers" seemed to be the only thing they had locked down. I believe Weekes also said that the "synthetics vs organics" was always a core theme too
: τ

But is it true that the script leaked (I would have no idea, I didn't pay attention pre-release out of interest of staying blacked out) prior to the game coming out and the ending had to be changed due to this? Or did the script leak and nothing was changed?

Daemul

Man, I was thinking about buying the trilogy on PC, but getting all the DLC costs around $110, shame they didn't do some kind of deal on that or include it. If they do an Xbox One and PS4 version, I'd imagine they would have it on the disc or they will mess up.

I'm one of those people who own all the DLC and yeah, its expensive as hell, it cost me £65 to get the lot. But I love the Universe, so I feel compelled to give Bioware money so that they continue to keep making Mass Effect games. I'm such a fool lol.

But is it true that the script leaked (I would have no idea, I didn't pay attention pre-release out of interest of staying blacked out) prior to the game coming out and the ending had to be changed due to this? Or did the script leak and nothing was changed?
I don't recall any significant difference with the ending. Javik played a much bigger role prior to being relegated to DLC and there were some different missions, like one where you and Kasumi teamed up to assassinate Udina.

I'm one of those people who own all the DLC and yeah, its expensive as hell, it cost me £65 to get the lot. But I love the Universe, so I feel compelled to give Bioware money so that they continue to keep making Mass Effect games. I'm such a fool lol.

I own it all on the 360, even the cosmetic alternate appearance packs, shameful maybe though I don't care. Though I bought it all spaced out when it was released, buying it all at once is different, wish there was a deal.

MTE

I just have to say, Mass Effect is awesome.

I had played the first game until I got stuck on a mission on Noveria. I had finished a mission, but had both pathways as open options. After screwing about a few times over a couple of years trying to fix it (During which time I bought #2 as a part of a Steam sale) I finally loaded up an older save about a week ago. I had to re-play the Rift Station on Noveria, which only ended up taking about half an hour, and now I'm 12 hours in to Mass Effect 3.

I'm SO glad I got back to the series. Once I finish the third game in a few days, I'll be back to peruse this thread, and read what people have to say. I need my opinions validated :)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just have to say, Mass Effect is awesome.

I had played the first game until I got stuck on a mission on Noveria. I had finished a mission, but had both pathways as open options. After screwing about a few times over a couple of years trying to fix it (During which time I bought #2 as a part of a Steam sale) I finally loaded up an older save about a week ago. I had to re-play the Rift Station on Noveria, which only ended up taking about half an hour, and now I'm 12 hours in to Mass Effect 3.

I'm SO glad I got back to the series. Once I finish the third game in a few days, I'll be back to peruse this thread, and read what people have to say. I need my opinions validated :)

Since you haven't finished ME3 yet, i would say to get the Extended Cut at least, it's free anyway. It will make the ending a little less confusing and more complete.

And if you got money, buy the Leviathan DLC, the ending will make a little more sense and won't seem to come out of nowhere, and it will explain the Reapers origin.

Yes, the original ending without Leviathan and Extended Cut was terrible. It's still crap, but at least it's not THAT bad.

And if you still got money, buy the Citadel DLC, it's the best DLC they ever made, on par with Shadow Broker, maybe even better since there is a lot of fan service, humor and you got to play with Wrex (and other ME2 characters for the arena matches).

Malreyn

I tried to last November with ME trilogy (ps3) and I got into a few games....then I updated my game to the newest content packs (free ones) and I couldn't get into a single game afterwards

MTE

Since you haven't finished ME3 yet, i would say to get the Extended Cut at least, it's free anyway. It will make the ending a little less confusing and more complete.

And if you got money, buy the Leviathan DLC, the ending will make a little more sense and won't seem to come out of nowhere, and it will explain the Reapers origin.

Yes, the original ending without Leviathan and Extended Cut was terrible. It's still crap, but at least it's not THAT bad.

And if you still got money, buy the Citadel DLC, it's the best DLC they ever made, on par with Shadow Broker, maybe even better since there is a lot of fan service, humor and you got to play with Wrex (and other ME2 characters for the arena matches).

Thanks, man. I'm downloading the Extended Cut right now. I had to stretch my funds to get ME3 in the first place, but I'll be sure to check out the other stuff on at least YouTube :)

Yes, loot has to return, give me an inventory.
Yes. This.
It may have been previously said, but even the ability to holster my weapon being removed was a blow. I want my RPG back.

prag16

Banned
Oh god no, ME3's system is the best they've done so far. I don't want to go back to ME1's tons of pointless redundant items lying all over the place.

I could handle some degree of expansion from ME3 (which in turn expanded ME2's system) but a return to anything resembling the clusterfuck that was ME1 inventory... no thanks. It was worse even than older games like KOTOR in terms of pointless crap, redundant items, and superfluous busywork to manage it.

I don't think Bioware had the ending we got as there master plan. I believe they had 2 endings in mind. The one we got and one other one that was related to the same fate Saren was in the ending of Mass Effect 1.
Remember when Saren got changed into a Reaper form
. I remember seeing in the Mass Effect 3 artbook that the illusive man had somewhat the same fate as shown here.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/2731...ight-a-monstrous-version-of-the-illusive-man/

Yeah that got scrapped for whatever reason. Yet the point is, I strongly believe there was going to be two endings and it would effect the outcome of the choices you made across all 3 games.

Now as for the ending we got including the EC DLC. While yes I still do believe in the IT 100%, I don't think Bioware would just slap that in there as a last min effort. There's just to many hints through out the entire series. Even though 90% of the stuff related to Indoc can be easily missed by the player, but I think that's just Bioware's way of saying to us "Hey explore every nook and cranny of our games" Yet that's going way to step on that. Yet at the same time, it sorta adds up. So no, I don't think it was slapped on as a last min idea, I think it was just a back up ending.

Perhaps this new Mass Effect game since its not even going to be titled Mass Effect 4, could very well be what the fans have been asking for, for so long. I mean with the EC, that might of delayed there plans to release some form of proper ending DLC that would conclude the ending to make everyone happy, even though the extended cut was suppose to help out with that but it still left many many fans still pissed off about the ending even more so. So instead, if this new game isn't a prequel mind you, we might very well see this side addition to Mass Effect 3. YES I know Bioware stated that the Commander Shepard was finished, but who knows. I know I'm wrong on this so don't have to school me or anything. I really would love to see Bioware come out and release one final DLC for Mass Effect 3 to finish the ending once and for all or at least come out and confirm or deny IT.

God damn you Bioware, you said you were going to listen to your fans. Um sure you did a hell of a job doing that. Bas****s.

I've watched them all and I'd say they are worth watching simply because I think they are well-made. Just be warned that a lot of the points made throughout those videos are desperately grasping at straws, and like EC said, the dude has some serious confirmation bias going on.

But if you really want to watch something about ME, go ahead.

If you want an in-game explanation, the game portrays humans as extremely aggressive in their expansion. They (we?) were constantly looking for new worlds to colonize, going into what was then Batarian Space (Skyllian Verge). When the Batarians withdrew from the Citadel races I suppose that space was forfeited in the Council's eyes. Then there was the Torfan assault which apparently led to the Batarians retreating from the area completely. So that's part of the reason. Also, I think the outer areas of human space (Attican Traverse, etc.) was considered outside of Council space until the humans started expanding into those areas.

And humans are spread thin simply because they haven't been colonizing for very long. If you ever look at colonies from the Asari, Turians, or Salarians, most of the time even their fringe worlds have over 1 billion inhabitants. That is because they've been there for hundreds of years.

Yes. This.
It may have been previously said, but even the ability to holster my weapon being removed was a blow. I want my RPG back.

IIRC, not being able to holster your weapon in ME3 was because of memory constraints. Or at least that's what I heard.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
IIRC, not being able to holster your weapon in ME3 was because of memory constraints. Or at least that's what I heard.

Which sound like a stupid excuse, if they can put so many animations in this game(as well as ones only seen in multiplayer), then i seriously doubt memory was behind a simple holster animation.

funkypie

Banned
The citadel Dlc was really good, found it funny throughout. I hope they ditch me ones exploring, driving around in that car was awful.

Mindlog

The script did leak and the final ending was written in secret, but all along there have been changes so it's unknown if that other ending would have been real or not.

At one time I had no idea they even came closer to one of the Reaper motivations I was hoping for.
Mass Effect 2 - Endgame: Alternate Human Reaper Reveal

On 360 there aren't many playing, but more than enough to find a good game. An odd amount of newer players mixed with diehards. I really enjoy that mix. It's fun seeing someone notice a strong lobby and bump the difficulty up to Platinum. It gets great when those players switch to 2nd tier and below strong characters. None of the obvious Infiltrators and overpowered weapons, but still play Platinum very aggressively.
Yes. This.
Yes it was a memory constraint. Just look at the number of animations in ME3 combat compared to ME1.

Said it before, but I don't want ME1's inventory at all. It was full of crap. In order to fix it Bioware had to actually put some effort into weapon and augment design. They've nailed it with Mass Effect multiplayer. Hopefully they don't create a great inventory and then blow it up letting the pieces rain all over the environment. Hate that system and wish it would die in a fire. I want depth. Depth can be had without a Project Eternity styled character sheet or the Mass Effect 1 loot swarm. Had a good laugh at their own criticisms of that style.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I tried to last November with ME trilogy (ps3) and I got into a few games....then I updated my game to the newest content packs (free ones) and I couldn't get into a single game afterwards

On 360 there aren't many playing, but more than enough to find a good game. An odd amount of newer players mixed with diehards. I really enjoy that mix. It's fun seeing someone notice a strong lobby and bump the difficulty up to Platinum. It gets great when those players switch to 2nd tier and below strong characters. None of the obvious Infiltrators and overpowered weapons, but still play Platinum very aggressively.

Hmmmmm, ok thanks.

Ah well, even if it's barren there is a lot of fun in chasing all the trophies in all three games anyways.

Planning on playing a Renegade adept FemShep now, and just to make things different, I am gonna kill Wrex on the 1st ME and trick the Wreav-led Krogan with fake Genophage cure.

Mindlog

Holy crap. The dangers of posting while trying to do a dozen other things. I never really answered the question >_<

The PS3 actually has some diehard players as well. I don't know how many new faces pop up on that platform, but it doesn't take many to get a game going. One thing to note is that hosting a game is much harder than joining. The only real issue with Mass Effect MP PS3 is a memory leak when playing against Collectors. For that reason I've heard stories that people try to avoid playing against them. Here's the rundown.

wolfhowwl

Banned
I don't think Bioware had the ending we got as there master plan. I believe they had 2 endings in mind. The one we got and one other one that was related to the same fate Saren was in the ending of Mass Effect 1.
Remember when Saren got changed into a Reaper form
. I remember seeing in the Mass Effect 3 artbook that the illusive man had somewhat the same fate as shown here.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/2731...ight-a-monstrous-version-of-the-illusive-man/

Yeah that got scrapped for whatever reason. Yet the point is, I strongly believe there was going to be two endings and it would effect the outcome of the choices you made across all 3 games.

Now as for the ending we got including the EC DLC. While yes I still do believe in the IT 100%, I don't think Bioware would just slap that in there as a last min effort. There's just to many hints through out the entire series. Even though 90% of the stuff related to Indoc can be easily missed by the player, but I think that's just Bioware's way of saying to us "Hey explore every nook and cranny of our games" Yet that's going way to step on that. Yet at the same time, it sorta adds up. So no, I don't think it was slapped on as a last min idea, I think it was just a back up ending.

Perhaps this new Mass Effect game since its not even going to be titled Mass Effect 4, could very well be what the fans have been asking for, for so long. I mean with the EC, that might of delayed there plans to release some form of proper ending DLC that would conclude the ending to make everyone happy, even though the extended cut was suppose to help out with that but it still left many many fans still pissed off about the ending even more so. So instead, if this new game isn't a prequel mind you, we might very well see this side addition to Mass Effect 3. YES I know Bioware stated that the Commander Shepard was finished, but who knows. I know I'm wrong on this so don't have to school me or anything. I really would love to see Bioware come out and release one final DLC for Mass Effect 3 to finish the ending once and for all or at least come out and confirm or deny IT.

God damn you Bioware, you said you were going to listen to your fans. Um sure you did a hell of a job doing that. Bas****s.

Having the ending they delivered as part of their master plan would require there to be a master plan to begin with.

You should read the Final Hours of Mass Effect 3. BioWare was pretty transparent about the development of the series. The series was written one game at a time with very little thought towards an overarching narrative and choices and consequences.

IT fans can cite their "evidence" all they want, meanwhile in reality you can look at statements by the developers, the disjointed story across the series, and the shitty and very BioWare way ME3 was cobbled together and realize that there is no hidden meaning and no master plan. Mass Effect is just a mediocre series whose potential was hamstrung by a lack of planning, poor leadership, and general mismanagement and the story should be taken at face value.

You say that there are hints throughout the series but it's hard to believe that BioWare was engineering this backup plan at the same time they were demonstrating their incompetence elsewhere.

Does this sound like a team that is planning ahead? All the problems with Cerberus, ME2's general failure to advance the plot, failure to deliver on choices, inconsistent characters, and so forth strongly point to them winging it as they went along.

Finally BioWare did listen to the fans, just not all of them. People requested more information on the original endings and BioWare provided that with a free DLC. As far as confirmation or denial of the IT goes, the DLC that BioWare said was the final word on the endings merely expanded upon the three ending choices. Take the hint.

So besides James which is the most capable team member for high difficulties? I swear these guys drop like flies while with games I can just point him towards three brutes and rest easy as he will kill all three.

Biggest disappointment being Kaidan which dies even with Barrier active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom