• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp! Re-playing Mass Effect 3, I'm at the part on Mars where you have the robot charging at you in slow motion and my gun is a single shot and can't kill her so I have to re-start. What a load of dung. :p

Switch the difficulty to Casual if you get stuck and switch it back after you get through it.

Yes. Or at least add more non-combat stuff in general. Samara's loyalty mission was one of my favorite parts of Mass Effect 2. Probably the most impressive section of Mass Effect 1 was Noveria because you spent most of your time there navigating internal corporate politics and you could do so in several ways.

ME 1 and 2 are very close to being equal parts detective game and action game. Shit, why can't you just BE a detective in space in Mass Effect?

I would LOVE a "Citadel Noir" type of game where you're investigating mysteries in the Wards...

A friend of mine got me into this franchise. Even though I've tried to get into 4 times before in the past. This time around was mostly due to my friend who would not stop talking about the series. It upset me in a sense cause I had no clue on what she was talking about it. So I picked up the Trilogy for the PS3 for 20 bucks new and went through the first two games within 3 days. The 3rd game took about 3 days to get through it and I have to say. It's the best story I've heard in a VG in a very very long time. Even though the ending was yes crap but with that theory that is going around plus other videos I've watched related to it. I have the say that the Theory is by far the way I will make the ending be in my head. Amazing series and I cannot wait for the new installment to come out.

Switch the difficulty to Casual if you get stuck and switch it back after you get through it.

Unfortunately it's not a matter of difficulty, you're not able to reload fast enough with the Executioner pistol, it has one shot in the clip, which even on casual doesn't take down the android, you have to do multiple shots. I just restarted and made sure I had a different pistol.

Welp! Re-playing Mass Effect 3, I'm at the part on Mars where you have the robot charging at you in slow motion and my gun is a single shot and can't kill her so I have to re-start. What a load of dung. :p
I had the same problem on my second playthrough. Your weapon is overpowered. The cutscene starts when her health reaches a certain level. Your weapon is one-shotting past that level.

Mindlog

Me too!

The multiplayer though. It's fun to drop into a random U/U/G match to find a bunch of good players. It gets even better when everyone switches out of OP classes and OP guns. It is best when everyone is obviously rushing to run up their own scores without spawn nuking. It's best when U/U/P is cleared well under 20m and you have the best score :D The MP is timeless. No last-gen console-also game has held my attention nearly as long.

I also remembered another advantage of PC over Consoles. Sprint Carry. It's really easy to sprint carry objectives on PC compared to console.

Oh yeah, and this.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm listening to Vigil, right now. So many feels.

To me that conversation with Vigil is the highlight of the entire trilogy. Too bad we never had anything like that in the sequels. Except for.. Starkid, I suppose? Shudder.

You need more than three shots to deal with her. If you have a submachine gun or rifle switch them right at the beginning and you will deal with her in no time.

A friend of mine got me into this franchise. Even though I've tried to get into 4 times before in the past. This time around was mostly due to my friend who would not stop talking about the series. It upset me in a sense cause I had no clue on what she was talking about it. So I picked up the Trilogy for the PS3 for 20 bucks new and went through the first two games within 3 days. The 3rd game took about 3 days to get through it and I have to say. It's the best story I've heard in a VG in a very very long time. Even though the ending was yes crap but with that theory that is going around plus other videos I've watched related to it. I have the say that the Theory is by far the way I will make the ending be in my head. Amazing series and I cannot wait for the new installment to come out.

So to you and the other people who make the indoctrination theory their head canon(lol) what do you think the actual ending is? Shepard breaks free of indoctrination and then what? Before it was said Bioware would make a DLC for the "real" ending but now what?

Taking Javik to Thessia is essential fun.
it is lol

Unfortunately it's not a matter of difficulty, you're not able to reload fast enough with the Executioner pistol, it has one shot in the clip, which even on casual doesn't take down the android, you have to do multiple shots. I just restarted and made sure I had a different pistol.
That is really crappy design not taking into account of weapon power. Only number of shots count :/

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
it is lol

That is really crappy design not taking into account of weapon power. Only number of shots count :/

Well, to be fair, the Executioner pistol didn't exist when the game launch. I don't remember there being any single shot weapons so early in the game back then either.

Well, to be fair, the Executioner pistol didn't exist when the game launch. I don't remember there being any single shot weapons so early in the game back then either.

Yeah I only noticed that when I started an insanity run and had nothing but the scorpion and the mantis on. Had to restart the whole mission. They didn't take that into account.

Worst offender by far is of course Marauder Shields. I'm replaying the game on insanity and I know that part will keep me from getting the achievement T_T

Yeah I only noticed that when I started an insanity run and had nothing but the scorpion and the mantis on. Had to restart the whole mission. They didn't take that into account.

Worst offender by far is of course Marauder Shields. I'm replaying the game on insanity and I know that part will keep me from getting the achievement T_T

It's not really that hard, you just have to make sure you don't miss any of your shots. Might take a few tries if you're using a controller, but it's not impossible.

I think the husks are a bigger pain in the ass tbh.

Is almost impossible with the controller, you like 3 headshots and the controls are always going up and down without you controlling it. He automatically hits you with the first shot so if you miss or hit the body and not the head too much you are dead. It took me more than 20 tries. It was horrible :'(

Is almost impossible with the controller, you like 3 headshots and the controls are always going up and down without you controlling it. He automatically hits you with the first shot so if you miss or hit the body and not the head too much you are dead. It took me more than 20 tries. It was horrible :'(

Oh you've done it on insanity before? Why didn't you get the achievement last time?

royox

He was trying to help you.
He was trying to prevent you from seeing the ending.

Never forget......Marauder Shields.

1331836303555.jpg

Oh you've done it on insanity before? Why didn't you get the achievement last time?

I did but I forgot the mission about rescuing Koris and missed the Unwavering achievement. On the plus side I tried the exploding bonus on the incendiary ammo, and use a Geth Pulse Rifle with the pierce mode and Cerberus soldiers die so fast is almost unfair.

He was trying to help you.
He was trying to prevent you from seeing the ending.

Never forget......Marauder Shields.

1331836303555.jpg

Is the series over? I really enjoyed his take

I did but I forgot the mission about rescuing Koris and missed the Unwavering achievement. On the plus side I tried the exploding bonus on the incendiary ammo, and use a Geth Pulse Rifle with the pierce mode and Cerberus soldiers die so fast is almost unfair.

So you completed every mission on insanity except that one? I'm pretty sure you should get the achievement once you complete it. When I did my first insanity run, I didn't change the difficulty until after the opening level. Next time I played on insanity and I got the Unwavering trophy right after leaving Earth.

I hope that's the case man, I really not looking forward to more Marauder Shields nonsense. I'm doing a lot better this time, last time my biggest challenge was that mission where you rescue the students. Geth are also quite hard to deal with, reapers are surprisingly easy.

I hope that's the case man, I really not looking forward to more Marauder Shields nonsense. I'm doing a lot better this time, last time my biggest challenge was that mission where you rescue the students. Geth are also quite hard to deal with, reapers are surprisingly easy.

I'm like 90% positive.

That open area in Grissom Academy is one of the hardest parts in the entire game on insanity. Cerberus just coming at you from every angle, and a mech just to fuck with you. Geth definitely got tougher, too. The part with the 3 Primes, ugh. I'm never doing that on insanity again.

So to you and the other people who make the indoctrination theory their head canon(lol) what do you think the actual ending is? Shepard breaks free of indoctrination and then what? Before it was said Bioware would make a DLC for the "real" ending but now what?

We wait. See where the 4th game is going. We all know that Shepard is not going to be the main character in the 4th game. Yet we also don't know if the 4th installment is going to be a prequel or a sequel. I'm hoping the 4th game is going to be a Sequel and maybe take a page out of the Star Wars series. I'm really not entirely sure to be quite honest, seeing how Bioware still hasn't denied or confirmed the Indoctrination theory yet. So I'm just going to wait and see what happens at E3 and take it from there. If we even get any news that is of course when E3 starts next month. Yet the reason I'm all one for the Indoc theory is cause it makes so much sense.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm surprised there is still people playing multiplayer 2 years later on PC... and to think most people assumed it would be abandoned by the players and EA only a few months after launch. :p

We wait. See where the 4th game is going. We all know that Shepard is not going to be the main character in the 4th game. Yet we also don't know if the 4th installment is going to be a prequel or a sequel. I'm hoping the 4th game is going to be a Sequel and maybe take a page out of the Star Wars series. I'm really not entirely sure to be quite honest, seeing how Bioware still hasn't denied or confirmed the Indoctrination theory yet. So I'm just going to wait and see what happens at E3 and take it from there. If we even get any news that is of course when E3 starts next month. Yet the reason I'm all one for the Indoc theory is cause it makes so much sense.

I thought they did deny it....

I'm like 90% positive.

That open area in Grissom Academy is one of the hardest parts in the entire game on insanity. Cerberus just coming at you from every angle, and a mech just to fuck with you. Geth definitely got tougher, too. The part with the 3 Primes, ugh. I'm never doing that on insanity again.

Exactly that's the area I had most trouble.

Guardians and coming from the left, centurions covering with smoke bombs, atlas in the back shooting missiles, guardians coming slowing from the right, engineers setting turrets in literally the last place you want them. It was terrible, pretty easy this time, took me like 3 tries.

I'm not looking forward to the last Cerberus mission where you are on that bridge with the ninjas jumping everywhere.

So you're telling me that you really think Bioware intentionally ended the game on a to be continued with the Reapers destroying earth and that the grand plan is to reveal it all in the next Mass Effect where the Reapers are defeated once and for all.

ok

RedSwirl

Hell, it could have been a species out in the Andromeda Galaxy. Keep in mind, literally the entirety of Mass Effect takes place in the Milky Way.

Part of it has to do with how advanced and expansionist a species actually was at the time the Citadel contacted it, along with other factors:

--The Hanar by virtue of their very biology can't expand to very many worlds (unless they promise to only live in the oceans of those worlds or something).

--The Drell lived on a broken world and were on the brink of extinction upon first contact.

--The Volus I think colonize very different worlds not suitable for other races because of the high atmospheric pressure they evolved in. Worlds like that seem to be rarer. For those and other reasons the Volus economy is small, so small that they are a client species to the Turians.

--Same goes for the Elcor, not to mention their quadropedal nature. Someone said that something in the codex said most races in ME were bipedal because it's the most efficient way or something.

--The Quarians had their embassy until the Geth war.

--The Krogan were seen as dangerous and eventually rebelled against the Citadel.

--The Batarians are the one race who have the most reason to be pissed off at humans. They had also kind of acted like dicks a lot of times long before the humans showed up.

--The humans meanwhile, at the time of first contact, had already activated more than one relay and colonized at least several worlds. On top of that they immediately proved to be militarily almost on-par with or at least comparable to the Turians. A lot of people in-game also show refer to humans with concern because of how unusually quickly they develop and spread.

--Plus, species get put on the council only after extreme circumstances. The Asari and Salarians of course founded the council. The Turians only got put on after the Krogan rebellions. The Humans get their seat if Shepard saves the council from the Reaper/Geth attack on the Citadel at the end of ME1.

So you're telling me that you really think Bioware intentionally ended the game on a to be continued with the Reapers destroying earth and that the grand plan is to reveal it all in the next Mass Effect where the Reapers are defeated once and for all.

ok

No not exactly to be honest. But perhaps some details as to the events on earth and what really happened. Yet at the same time, If bioware does this. It's just adding more to the hate that was towards the ending.

Exactly that's the area I had most trouble.

Guardians and coming from the left, centurions covering with smoke bombs, atlas in the back shooting missiles, guardians coming slowing from the right, engineers setting turrets in literally the last place you want them. It was terrible, pretty easy this time, took me like 3 tries.

I'm not looking forward to the last Cerberus mission where you are on that bridge with the ninjas jumping everywhere.

lol I hate phantoms with a passion. I play Vanguard, so they always end up one-shotting me somehow. Hopefully you'll have the achievement by then so you won't have to do it on insanity if you don't want to. :p

lol I hate phantoms with a passion. I play Vanguard, so they always end up one-shotting me somehow. Hopefully you'll have the achievement by then so you won't have to do it on insanity if you don't want to. :p

I rely a lot in sniping so when one of them get's out of my sight, I have to get moving. But I'm fairly certain I'll do fine this run. I manage the updates of me and my team to perfection. I knew I was going to alright when I killed the first Brute in the game with a single shot in the head.

Also I got that alternate DLC yesterday and that armor is niiiice.

I'm not a fan of port-begging, but man, this trilogy on PS4 (preferably as an arcade download with PS Plus deal) would be so amazing. I'd have to lock myself inside for a few days to go through that!

I believe the Indoctrination theory was real at some point too. It really does explain a lot, but let's be honest no way in hell they could write themselves out of that hole in Mass Effect 4. Technically the only ending that could be canon is resist at that point. What then the game opens with the two final boss fights that should have been in ME3. Then a skip ahead to when the story would actually begin. No most likely they'll retcon the Relay bullshit in an even more bullshit fashion(the dead reapers will provide some type of super fuel), skip the story 50 years, and we'll have Councilor Shepard yelling about how incompetent you are.

I would honestly rather it was a KOTOR style "reboot" of the universe, not a reboot in essence, but so far back/forward it isn't really affected by the OT in any significant way, but still retains all the technology, races, and lore. So many things to implement, it's just not worth the effort for the half-assed job we'd get. "Commander Shephard was a great Earth hero. Time has passed, and records have been lost, so much now that we're not even sure if they were a man or a woman."

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

The secret is do NOT attempt headshots.

I managed to do it on my 1st try in Insanity, easy peasy, by just shooting at his larger body area until he goes kaput.

Anyways,

I really really can't play as Vanguards both in ME2's and ME3's Insanity :( I tried a few times but I-just-couldn-t-do-it.

Also, engineers in ME3 is so lackluster, imo. Adept is the most funnnnn. Although carrying three upgraded guns with you with still a 200% bonus weight attached is something only a Soldier can achieve.

Adept all the way though.

Replaying the first ME now, and I just decided to start selling everything instead of hoarding it. Managed to buy the Spectre gear at level 20, which makes the combat a lot less frustrating. :lol

While ME1 is a good game, I'm constantly looking forward to going through ME2 again. That Thane mission was perfection. I hope BioWare's next ME goes more in that direction: smaller, more intimate stuff rather than the grand space opera we've seen too much of.

ME2 (and 3, to a lesser extent) on Insanity as a Vanguard is insanely fun. You just have to find your Charge/Attack rhythm, and you'll be zipping through levels in no time. Get an Assault Rifle and the AOE effect on your Charge and you become a biotic god. In ME3 it's a bit harder because of those damned one-hit-kills, but it's still doable. Heartily recommend it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I would honestly rather it was a KOTOR style "reboot" of the universe, not a reboot in essence, but so far back/forward it isn't really affected by the OT in any significant way, but still retains all the technology, races, and lore. So many things to implement, it's just not worth the effort for the half-assed job we'd get. "Commander Shephard was a great Earth hero. Time has passed, and records have been lost, so much now that we're not even sure if they were a man or a woman."

They can do that with a post-Reaper War sequel though. The franchise is basically primed for this. Almost all loose ends are tied up by the end of the trilogy. A big event happened with many potential outcomes, galactic society thrust into a new era no matter which path is chosen. Old threats and conflicts have come to their conclusion. All that's left is to build something new moving forward. It really just comes down to whether or not they should try accommodating for player choices, and the obvious answer is that they shouldn't.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Replaying the first ME now, and I just decided to start selling everything instead of hoarding it. Managed to buy the Spectre gear at level 20, which makes the combat a lot less frustrating. :lol

While ME1 is a good game, I'm constantly looking forward to going through ME2 again. That Thane mission was perfection. I hope BioWare's next ME goes more in that direction: smaller, more intimate stuff rather than the grand space opera we've seen too much of.

What I am *really* annoyed about by ME2 is that every time you reload after dying in combat the ammo power resets, and this can waste precious good seconds if you're playing Insanity, especially in places like the Collector's platform.

ME3 fixes it, but then it adds another problem: powers like Barrier/Fortification/Defense Matrix resets itself after a reload and you need to wait for it to cooldown first before using any other power. This can be annoying if the game reloads in you in the middle of high-intensity firefights, gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Never used those powers, honestly. I'm a Vanguard, when I need to boost my shields I just CHAAAAAAAAAARGE. I tried using Barrier for a while, but like Reave better: it recharges your health (or your damage protection in ME3) and also detonates biotic explosions.

Tellaerin

Please tell me where all these other grand space opera RPGs are, because I'd really like to play them.

They can do that with a post-Reaper War sequel though. The franchise is basically primed for this. Almost all loose ends are tied up by the end of the trilogy. A big event happened with many potential outcomes, galactic society thrust into a new era no matter which path is chosen. Old threats and conflicts have come to their conclusion. All that's left is to build something new moving forward. It really just comes down to whether or not they should try accommodating for player choices, and the obvious answer is that they shouldn't.

Glad we agree on this. Any reference to the OT should be vague enough that it could apply to any of Shephard's choices. Besides, plenty of new choices to be made! I seriously hope in this matter they work on the impact and effect of choices you make.

Maledict

Glad we agree on this. Any reference to the OT should be vague enough that it could apply to any of Shephard's choices. Besides, plenty of new choices to be made! I seriously hope in this matter they work on the impact and effect of choices you make.

That just doesn't work though. The choices were too big and important to just skate over them - especially around every AI dying and everyone gaining green circuitry in their hats. They just need to stick with one ending and have it canon, and to be honest destroy seems the most rational with some hand waving of the AIs lived.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Well, by "not accommodate player choices" I mean be as vague as possible where they can, but not be afraid to just pick an outcome and run with it. Going to be hard to get around synthesis without outright confirming one way or the other. Same goes for many societies: either the Krogan are flourishing, or they're borderline extinct. The Quarians exist, or are wiped out. Same for the Geth. I don't feel any of these should be the focus but rather than spend too much time keeping it vague at the cost of narrative they should, in some cases, pick a direction and go with it even if it clashes with some Shepard story arcs.

I feel trying to avoid commitment to any choice what-so-ever ultimately restricts a sequel as it's something they have to keep in the back of their head no matter what they write, and is very easy to slip up on. Too much emphasis on the trilogy, ironically, by not trying to emphasise the trilogy at all.

EDIT: Basically if it's a sequel I feel they have three options.

1) Try and accommodate player choices via an import save. This will be disastrous as the workload for creating satisfying outcomes for all the potential universe states wrapped in an interesting narrative is just too high. Each player's Shepard trilogy universe simply cannot reasonably continue how they sculpted it. Players were unhappy with the simplest things, like their favourite ME2 squadmate not returning in a significant capacity in the ME3. This would be that situation multiplied in importance by a thousand.
2) Avoid commitment to lore/choices in an effort to keep it vague. I feel this too is difficult due to the significance of the trilogy choices. It works to some extent but by the end of the trilogy the scope of choices and outcomes is so vast that you basically won't be able to enter any known Citadel space without running risk of conflicting with the vague canon. Committing to some outcomes, like synthesis, are arguably unavoidable.
3) Commit to a trilogy outcome, or construct a new trilogy outcome (eg: bits and pieces of each), that acts as a template for a new story while also allowing direct reference to trilogy events. Catch is this may not be yours/mine/whoever trilogy events, and thus no longer takes place in "your universe".

I feel strongly that option 3) is the best direction for Montreal if they want to have as few restrictions and as much freedom in constructing their own narrative in a sequel, while also being able to draw upon established lore/locations/events. It removes the ceiling of narrative potential and ideas (freedom a prequel would struggle to have), and helps them move out of living in the trilogy's shadow, with the exception of specifics about Shepard him/herself that could be kept vague.

Please tell me where all these other grand space opera RPGs are, because I'd really like to play them.

RPG's maybe not, but ME2/3 are already stretching the limit of what that term can mean anyway.

But I may have oversimplified things a bit. I love me some good space opera, but I feel Mass Effect is better when the fate of the galaxy is not immediately at stake. ME2, which focused more on recruiting a team and less on the looming threat of the Reapers, had some of the most interesting worldbuilding in the series, imo, with nearly every place feeling unique (only the quarian liveships were a bit underwhelming). It also had room for a lot more interesting characters as a result.

Mass Effect 3 had some cool new locations like Sur'Kesh and the asari monastery, but most felt like a rehash of a place we saw in ME2, only with more Reapers.

What I'm saying is, they can keep the space opera, but keep it on a smaller scale: we saved the galaxy once, let it stay saved for a while.

Taker34

Banned
EDIT: Basically if it's a sequel I feel they have three options.

1) Try and accommodate player choices via an import save. This will be disastrous as the workload for creating satisfying outcomes for all the potential universe states wrapped in an interesting narrative is just too high. Each player's Shepard trilogy universe simply cannot reasonably continue how they sculpted it. Players were unhappy with the simplest things, like their favourite ME2 squadmate not returning in a significant capacity in the ME3. This would be that situation multiplied in importance by a thousand.
2) Avoid commitment to lore/choices in an effort to keep it vague. I feel this too is difficult due to the significance of the trilogy choices. It works to some extent but by the end of the trilogy the scope of choices and outcomes is so vast that you basically won't be able to enter any known Citadel space without running risk of conflicting with the vague canon. Committing to some outcomes, like synthesis, are arguably unavoidable.
3) Commit to a trilogy outcome, or construct a new trilogy outcome (eg: bits and pieces of each), that acts as a template for a new story while also allowing direct reference to trilogy events. Catch is this may not be yours/mine/whoever trilogy events, and thus no longer takes place in "your universe".

I feel strongly that option 3) is the best direction for Montreal if they want to have as few restrictions and as much freedom in constructing their own narrative in a sequel, while also being able to draw upon established lore/locations/events. It removes the ceiling of narrative potential and ideas (freedom a prequel would struggle to have), and helps them move out of living in the trilogy's shadow, with the exception of specifics about Shepard him/herself that could be kept vague.

Why not a mixture of 2 and 3? Either by answering questions at the beginning of the game (gender of Shepard; few important decisions) or by releasing the Trilogy on PS4/XBone, thus allowing BW to build upon those save files. Which effects these previous decisions would have is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom