• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlog

YW4r3gG.jpg

So hopes and dreams. Going to have to hold onto those for a while.
I'm all for N7 Slayer if Bioware can ditch the retarded skilltree design where survivability and melee damage are mutually exclusive.
In its defense the Slayer light melee carries a very large DR. It can almost match the NovaGuard's I-Frame survivability, but takes much more skill to manage. The bigger general problem is that melee is too slow compared to other sources of damage. The same can be said for sniping to an extent. I like using melee, but keeping up with AOE classes can be a challenge.

My Slayer playstyle tends to be more Phase Disruptor heavy.

Espi

Banned
YW4r3gG.jpg

So hopes and dreams. Going to have to hold onto those for a while.

In its defense the Slayer light melee carries a very large DR. It can almost match the NovaGuard's I-Frame survivability, but takes much more skill to manage. The bigger general problem is that melee is too slow compared to other sources of damage. The same can be said for sniping to an extent. I like using melee, but keeping up with AOE classes can be a challenge.

My Slayer playstyle tends to be more Phase Disruptor heavy.

and that's the beauty of Mass Effect 3s multiplayer. The fact that you can play the same character two completely different ways, and be effective with both ways is amazing. Most games can't even figure out how to get the one and only way to play a character to work.

It's a shame more people didn't know about how effective the Slayer was with a melee build.

I hope BioWare knows they did an amazing job with the multiplayer. I never got bored with the game because of this.

A slayer with an acolyte and incendiary ammo destroys literally everything with nonstop phase beam and charge fire explosions. One of my favorite classes, but I rarely see people play him.

Only class I never really got the hang of was the drell vanguard. I am too unskilled to utilize that class hahaha

Lol, loaded up Mass Effect 2 on my 360 without an internet connection, and it reverted to the pre-patch Planet Scanner speed. Fuck that.

Let's hope that awful mechanic gets nixed or revamped, ME3 did it a bit better, but still, goddamn.

Also, this:

sezPySr.gif

Mindlog

destinyfirstlookalphai8o60.jpg

Have any of you had a chance to play the Destiny Alpha?

It's hard not to imagine the terrain of uncharted worlds looking something like an emptier version of the Alpha's explorable zone. If only the budget for Mass Effect were increased by an order of magnitude. Creating those zones looks very expensive.
A slayer with an acolyte and incendiary ammo destroys literally everything with nonstop phase beam and charge fire explosions. One of my favorite classes, but I rarely see people play him.

Only class I never really got the hang of was the drell vanguard. I am too unskilled to utilize that class hahaha
I've stopped using the Acolyte as much as possible. It's just too strong.
Drell Vanguard can be tricky.
The key is to get Grenade Capacity V.
Then throw grenades everywhere :D
Naturally flipping around and kicking the air between rounds is mandatory.

Patryn

So I'm assuming we would have heard something by now if the Trilogy was coming to PS4 and X1 this year, right?
If EA had anything coming down the pipeline, they would have shown it at this E3. The trilogy port does not exist and likely will never exist for this generation.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I'm assuming we would have heard something by now if the Trilogy was coming to PS4 and X1 this year, right?
Not happening.

Bear in mind that if a port occurs it'll involve moving all three games to Frostbite so it wouldn't be "simple". There's no UE licensing anymore and it's very unlikely they'd re-up that for this.

Multiple classes can make the "destroys everything" claim.

My Favorite: AIU/Geth Trooper/Turian Ghost/N7 Sentinel

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah, apart from the nice skybox and whether you would encounter a thresher maw or nah there was no meaningful exploration. Everything was identikit and in the end you got a lame text box. I found the planet scanning to feel less like padding.

Maledict

Yeah, apart from the nice skybox and whether you would encounter a thresher maw or nah there was no meaningful exploration. Everything was identikit and in the end you got a lame text box. I found the planet scanning to feel less like padding.

Utterly agree - I have never understood the love for ME1s "exploration". I understand the *concept*, but the actual delivery in game was terrible. Copy and paste empty planets with identical cardboard buildings and the occasional threshermaw. Yes, the skyboxes were great, but other than that the entire thing was laborious and unfun.

ME2s approach of having custom built missions with their own minor storyline on that you discovered on planets you scanned was infinitely superior, and actually delivered really good sidequest content. The three parter mission about murderous AIs, the Geth Weather stations, the abandoned colony ship - these were all really high quality content that ME1 doesn't even attempt to have.

The exploration in ME1 wasn't all that but I was really disappointed they didn't iterate on it. By itself, the planet scanning of ME2 was okay (once it was sped up by a lifesaving patch) but it was such a step back from the potential of the first game.

The scanning minigames in 2 and 3 felt cheap, like iPad apps instead of core gameplay mechanics: you weren't Shepard doing interesting things in a frontier setting, you were just a player grinding out bars. At least the first game tried to keep the immersion going.

We're probably going to be talking about their story choices ad nauseum but I hope they get the traversal and exploration part right.

Zen

Banned
love the Mass Effect exploration and Mass Effect 1 as a whole. Really glad that they seem to be talking a lot about Mass Effect 1 when referencing the new game.

Guys lets appreciate mass effect !

next game needs more exploration.

masseffect_47uk4o.png

While the actual activities to do on the explorable worlds were mostly boring and repetitive, its scenes like this that made them still worthwhile even on the 10th replay. Just beautiful.

Oh goody, a desert planet! I'm sure the next one will be densely populated and interesting.

I hate to break it to you, but thats how most planets we find in real life are gonna be like. Barren alien wastelands. Theres a quiet beauty to it though, even still. IMO at least. I mean, mars is just a big ol desert too, but I'd still love to explore it.

televator

So I just replayed mass effect 3 a month ago with all the DLC and it proved to me that this game just needed a lot more time in the oven. I really found it a whole lot more enjoyable. That citadel DLC alone adds a whole other dimension and some much needed exploration to the overall game. If only this were the game that was released originally... I was actually enjoying the ride to the end. Reaper logic still sucked, but much of the DLC either burries it or contextualizes it as unaceptable or just wrong.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Prediction.

N7 Day Announcement x 2

1) Mass Effect 4: Contact made legit via 1.22 min trailer.
2) Mass Effect Trilogy: Blasto Frostbyte Edition for PS4/X1 made legit via montage .34 min trailer.

*end of transmission*

Prediction.

N7 Day Announcement x 2

2) Mass Effect Trilogy: Blasto Frostbyte Edition for PS4/X1 made legit via montage .34 min trailer.

*end of transmission*

It'd be great if your predictions were true. I'd really enjoy playing the ME trilogy on X1. But I highly doubt they're port them to Frostbyte. Seems like the cost would outweigh the benefits for that. Just give them to me as they are, in one package for $60 and I'll buy.

Mindlog

Mass Effects was good people. That Battle Therum track.
Anyone remember this? That was fun. I have to find the thread. It was pretty funny seeing it dawn on everyone how excellent the last ME novel was. I read almost the entire thing for free from the Google library in one sitting. It was captivating.

Prediction.

N7 Day Announcement x 2

*end of transmission*

As I said before. I would shit my pants if they would announce the Trilogy for PS4. I'd be so happy.

Cudder

So when is the trilogy hitting next gen? I haven't played any of them, and it seems like I'd really be into these games.

Patryn

So when is the trilogy hitting next gen? I haven't played any of them, and it seems like I'd really be into these games.

People keep speculating it will.

My current guess? Never.

If it was in the cards, it would have been at the EA press conference this E3.

People keep speculating it will.

My current guess? Never.

If it was in the cards, it would have been at the EA press conference this E3.

Our very own shinobi602 asked Bioware GM Aaryn Flynn about this in March 2014 and he said it was being discussed but no solid plans at that time.

I think their studios are pretty full-up with titles in development (and I suspect ME4 went through a development reboot early 2013) but they might have sourced the project.

At any rate, never say never.

Gusy

Now that I know about No Man´s Sky.. the Mass Effect universe feels so restrictive. I know they are completely different beasts but imagine the possibilities of taking No Mans Sky aproach to planet exploration in Mass Effect 1.. :eek:. I hope that we can reach a happy middle between narrative and unbounded exploration in this console generation.

By the way: Where´s my Mass Effect Collection Spectre Edition Bioware!?(1080, 60, all DLC)

Blinck

Damn I miss the exploration of Mass Effect 1. Really enjoying ME3 right now, but there is so much missing.

Mass Effect 3 is only half finished, and the whole "ending thing" is just one tiny missing bit to be honest.

What bothered me the most was the side quests.

I still can't fucking believe those fucking side-quests in Mass Effect 3....that god awful mini-game...I mean what the fuck were they thinking?

Why?? The game plays perfectly fine with kb/mouse

Little gripes. An example is having to fly the ship with the pointer, then have to click the icon that appears at the bottom right corner of the screen as you fly by the object and the icon disappears because your ship has drifted past it...

Having to individually click the icons on all of the menus (left, right, ok, back, etc) instead of just being able to press A B and left and right on the controller.

The worst? No analog movement. It's a digital full tilt WASD or nothing. It's a pain in my ass coming from playing 2 on the PS3 and 3 in the PS3 and Wii U. (Wii U had the best control setup by far. Mapping abilities to touchscreen as well as buttons was perfect.)

Now that I know about No Man´s Sky.. the Mass Effect universe feels so restrictive. I know they are completely different beasts but imagine the possibilities of taking No Mans Sky aproach to planet exploration in Mass Effect 1.. :eek:. I hope that we can reach a happy middle between narrative and unbounded exploration in this console generation.

By the way: Where´s my Mass Effect Collection Spectre Edition Bioware!?(1080, 60, all DLC)

Imagine if the No Man's Sky devs licensed their code/algorithms to other developers... like Bioware...

Grewitch

So I just replayed mass effect 3 a month ago with all the DLC and it proved to me that this game just needed a lot more time in the oven. I really found it a whole lot more enjoyable. That citadel DLC alone adds a whole other dimension and some much needed exploration to the overall game. If only this were the game that was released originally... I was actually enjoying the ride to the end. Reaper logic still sucked, but much of the DLC either burries it or contextualizes it as unaceptable or just wrong.

That seems to be Bioware and EA's problem: rushing development. That and not making sure the quality of the writing and story is consistent. There was a damn good game hiding away in Mass Effect 3 that just needed some time and care.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That seems to be Bioware and EA's problem: rushing development. That and not making sure the quality of the writing and story is consistent. There was a damn good game hiding away in Mass Effect 3 that just needed some time and care.
Hence they're taking their time with número 4.

dr_rus

With how things are right now you will still be able to play the trilogy in 1080p on your iPhone running x86 emulation. And you can already do that on a below than average PC/laptop.

Porting the trilogy to PS4/XBO is such a waste of time.

Maledict

Only the majority of players were on the consoles, and there's plenty of people who prefer to play this type of game on a console?

If the game isn't going to be out for another 18 months, porting a high def version to the new consoles would help sustain the brand and keep the game in people's minds. Personally, I'd love to play through all 3 again on my ps4 but I really doubt it's happening given they didn't mention it at E3.

Not every game gets annoucned at E3, especially rereleases/goty editions. Not announcing at E3 is far from evidence it isn't happening. Those usually don't get announced until close to release, minimize their effect on deminishing sales/dlc sales of the current versions. ME Trilogy could still happen this year, though I expect next year myself, or longer. EA may wait until after ME4 and the new gens have large install bases. So maybe not soon, but probably eventually. The industry has fallen in love with this practice after all, and ME trilogy seems like a prime candidate.

Patryn

Not every game gets annoucned at E3, especially rereleases/goty editions. Not announcing at E3 is far from evidence it isn't happening. Those usually don't get announced until close to release, minimize their effect on deminishing sales/dlc sales of the current versions. ME Trilogy could still happen this year, though I expect next year myself, or longer. EA may wait until after ME4 and the new gens have large install bases. So maybe not soon, but probably eventually. The industry has fallen in love with this practice after all, and ME trilogy seems like a prime candidate.

It's true that not every game gets announced at E3, but when the company that makes the game has a full press conference and they have so little to show that they had to resort to videos of talking heads speaking about the general concepts of games, including at least one game that doesn't have a title or even a single solitary screenshot yet, it's clear that if it were in development they would have been trumpeting that fact.

Just accept that it's not coming and move on. We'll get ME4 soon enough.

prag16

Banned
Little gripes. An example is having to fly the ship with the pointer, then have to click the icon that appears at the bottom right corner of the screen as you fly by the object and the icon disappears because your ship has drifted past it...

Having to individually click the icons on all of the menus (left, right, ok, back, etc) instead of just being able to press A B and left and right on the controller.

The worst? No analog movement. It's a digital full tilt WASD or nothing. It's a pain in my ass coming from playing 2 on the PS3 and 3 in the PS3 and Wii U. (Wii U had the best control setup by far. Mapping abilities to touchscreen as well as buttons was perfect.

Unfortunately, aiming with an analog stick will always be a diarrhea mess compared to a mouse (or even wii remote) in terms of accuracy/precision. WASD movement is a small price to pay in my opinion. As for other aspects of the user interface, yeah, especially in the case of ME2, it definitely appeared optimized for a controller rather than a mouse. Which makes lack of gamepad support all the more odd.

I also liked the Wii U command mapping ability. The enlarged minimap on the gamepad also came in handy.

Unfortunately, aiming with an analog stick will always be a diarrhea mess compared to a mouse (or even wii remote) in terms of accuracy/precision. WASD movement is a small price to pay in my opinion. As for other aspects of the user interface, yeah, especially in the case of ME2, it definitely appeared optimized for a controller rather than a mouse. Which makes lack of gamepad support all the more odd.

I also liked the Wii U command mapping ability. The enlarged minimap on the gamepad also came in handy.

I'll agree when it comes to first person shooters, but for me Mass Effect will always be more about using tech abilities than using a weapon. A gamepad is much better for this type of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom