• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Little gripes. An example is having to fly the ship with the pointer, then have to click the icon that appears at the bottom right corner of the screen as you fly by the object and the icon disappears because your ship has drifted past it...

Having to individually click the icons on all of the menus (left, right, ok, back, etc) instead of just being able to press A B and left and right on the controller.

The worst? No analog movement. It's a digital full tilt WASD or nothing. It's a pain in my ass coming from playing 2 on the PS3 and 3 in the PS3 and Wii U. (Wii U had the best control setup by far. Mapping abilities to touchscreen as well as buttons was perfect.)

Imagine if the No Man's Sky devs licensed their code/algorithms to other developers... like Bioware...

You know you can double click to enter a planet when flying the ship right? No need to go click the bottom right icon.

Zen

Banned
People keep speculating it will.

My current guess? Never.

If it was in the cards, it would have been at the EA press conference this E3.

I feel like we could see it later on, to try and co-opt hype for the new game (when it is more ready to show that is).

prag16

Banned
I'll agree when it comes to first person shooters, but for me Mass Effect will always be more about using tech abilities than using a weapon. A gamepad is much better for this type of game.

You state that as fact. But in what way? Easy access to so many keys on a keyboard... you really prefer pulling up the power wheel constantly? iirc you can only map a couple powers to buttons on a controller.

And this isn't a straight up RPG; there's still plenty of precision shooting required even if you go as power-heavy as possible.

Patryn

You state that as fact. But in what way? Easy access to so many keys on a keyboard... you really prefer pulling up the power wheel constantly? iirc you can only map a couple powers to buttons on a controller.

And this isn't a straight up RPG; there's still plenty of precision shooting required even if you go as power-heavy as possible.

For me? Yes. But that's a personal preference.

I've definitely used keyboard + mouse for a lot of games. But when given the chance, I will always go controller.

It is a fact "for me." Sure there are so many keys on a keyboard (number keys), but you can't hit any of them while moving using WASD without performing thumb gymnastics and aiming in Mass Effect has always worked perfectly well with thumbsticks.

It's true that not every game gets announced at E3, but when the company that makes the game has a full press conference and they have so little to show that they had to resort to videos of talking heads speaking about the general concepts of games, including at least one game that doesn't have a title or even a single solitary screenshot yet, it's clear that if it were in development they would have been trumpeting that fact.

Just accept that it's not coming and move on. We'll get ME4 soon enough.

Again, an announcement now and probably long before it releases would kill the current gen trilogy pack and all its dlc's sales. Why would they do that just to fill up their shoddy press conference? Rereleases don't need years of hyping, the already released editions already do that for them, its natural to not announce them until near release.

I'll accept it isn't going to release before DAI. Probably not this year, unless its like December or something. Compromise?

I'm not in a hurry to replay it so I don't even really care when it happens. Just saying that I'm confident it will eventually.

I have an issue with Mass Effect 3 on PC; the endless loading screen. I can't get into the "assault on the illusive mans base" mission (or whatever it's called). It just shows the Normandy and loading animation and it just stays there. Is there a fix for this problem? Thanks.

ocean

Banned
I'm currently going through this trilogy for the first time, and being almost done with ME2 I can say this is gaming at its absolute best. Easily one of my top 10 gaming experiences ever.

I can't wait for whatever comes next in this franchise. Luckily, I still have to 100% ME2 and then get into ME3 to hold me over :)

A.

I'm currently going through this trilogy for the first time, and being almost done with ME2 I can say this is gaming at its absolute best. Easily one of my top 10 gaming experiences ever.

I can't wait for whatever comes next in this franchise. Luckily, I still have to 100% ME2 and then get into ME3 to hold me over :)

A.

Mass Effect 2 is just badass. It's the appropriate tone for the series as opposed to Mass Effect 1's pseudo-star trek style or Mass Effect 3's Kafka-equse dive into depression and the inevitability of death. I like the lack of pretentiousness on part of the characters and how literally none of them dive into pseudo-philosophical shit that the writers are unable to pull off. I dislike that in sci-fi, very few can do it well

ocean

Banned
Mass Effect 2 is just badass. It's the appropriate tone for the series as opposed to Mass Effect 1's pseudo-star trek style or Mass Effect 3's Kafka-equse dive into depression and the inevitability of death. I like the lack of pretentiousness on part of the characters and how literally none of them dive into pseudo-philosophical shit that the writers are unable to pull off. I dislike that in sci-fi, very few can do it well
The internet seems to agree that ME3 was disappointing. I will reserve judgement until I play it, but going through ME2 I can't believe they managed to mess this up.

The internet seems to agree that ME3 was disappointing. I will reserve judgement until I play it, but going through ME2 I can't believe they managed to mess this up.
The only 2 things that didn't live up to my expectations for ME3 were the sidequests (just awful) and of course the ending. Everything else is peachy where I stand, it gives closure to a lot of plot points.

prag16

Banned
It is a fact "for me." Sure there are so many keys on a keyboard (number keys), but you can't hit any of them while moving using WASD without performing thumb gymnastics and aiming in Mass Effect has always worked perfectly well with thumbsticks.

You can't hit any face buttons when aiming either, which is an across the board drawback of dual analog vs. mouse (or wii remote). Do you just bring up the power wheel every time?

As for the bolded, to describe aiming that way for ANY dual analog scheme (which isn't riddled with absurd amounts of aim assist) is just absurd on its face in my opinion. Anyway, I guess agree to disagree.

The only 2 things that didn't live up to my expectations for ME3 were the sidequests (just awful) and of course the ending. Everything else is peachy where I stand, it gives closure to a lot of plot points.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but the side quest system worked fine for me. Against the backdrop of rushing rushing rushing to save the galaxy, the idea of having your omnitool automatically log info as you overhear things and load it into the journal (for optional action to be taken later) seemed to make a hell of a lot more sense than the usual "stop and waste precious time walking up to every npc to see what they have to bitch and moan about" method.

You can't hit any face buttons when aiming either, which is an across the board drawback of dual analog vs. mouse (or wii remote). Do you just bring up the power wheel every time?

As for the bolded, to describe aiming that way for ANY dual analog scheme (which isn't riddled with absurd amounts of aim assist) is just absurd on its face in my opinion. Anyway, I guess agree to disagree.

For me, aiming at something while moving and quickly tapping a button to use an ability without having to stop and get shot is better than aiming at someone, then having to stop moving to tap a button. That's just me though.

You get to play Mass Effect 3 for the first time as a complete game. You shouldn't get the same bad taste in your mouth the day one players got.

prag16

Banned
For me, aiming at something while moving and quickly tapping a button to use an ability without having to stop and get shot is better than aiming at someone, then having to stop moving to tap a button. That's just me though.

I see where you're coming from, but it just doesn't bother me. As a cover shooter, you tend to be on cover when deploying powers most of the time anyway (unless you want to die in 0.1 seconds at anything above lowest difficulty). *shrugs*

You get to play Mass Effect 3 for the first time as a complete game. You shouldn't get the same bad taste in your mouth the day one players got.

Yeah.. Playing with the extended cut, leviathan, and even citadel integrated into the game definitely could have gone a long way towards reducing the shitstorm I'd say.

ocean

Banned
How so, was it buggy at launch? Or is it the ending? No idea what happened there but I think there was an alt ending DLC I downloaded along with the game. Does this substitute the original ending or is it something I'll have to play through twice to see? Or was the bad taste due to something else?

I see where you're coming from, but it just doesn't bother me. As a cover shooter, you tend to be on cover when deploying powers most of the time anyway (unless you want to die in 0.1 seconds at anything above lowest difficulty). *shrugs*

Playing with the extended cut, leviathan, and even citadel integrated into the game definitely could have gone along way towards reducing the shitstorm I'd say.

I don't play on insanity... but I do play soldier with buffed shields. In ME:3 my soldier only carries a pistol and has seeking, exploding, concussive shot fireballs that recharge in about ~1 second. I guess it comes down to playstyle.

How so, was it buggy at launch? Or is it the ending? No idea what happened there but I think there was an alt ending DLC I downloaded along with the game. Does this substitute the original ending or is it something I'll have to play through twice to see? Or was the bad taste due to something else?

The ending. The extended ending was created due to the backlash. It's automatically incorporated when you play through now.

Simzyy

Just make sure you have the Extended Cut installed. And if possible, From Ashes and Leviathan. Those are very important DLC.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

A.
You'll love ME3 until the last 15 minutes, even with the extended cut ending included.

ocean

Banned
Just make sure you have the Extended Cut installed. And if possible, From Ashes and Leviathan. Those are very important DLC.
I got the Trilogy on PSN. Are these DLC included or do I have to buy them? It included some Cerberus stuff but I don't recall seeing Leviathan or From Ashes :/

prag16

Banned
I got the Trilogy on PSN. Are these DLC included or do I have to buy them? It included some Cerberus stuff but I don't recall seeing Leviathan or From Ashes :/

I think the trilogy pack left out a bunch of stuff from ME3 (including the ones you mentioned). So yeah, probably have to buy them separately. :(

Extended cut just extended a bad ending, it didnt fix it at all.

While I agree, it did at least fix some of the more absurd shit (
e.g. Normandy presumed to be stranded forever
). But yeah, still was a bad ending. Damn Hudson/Walters. :mad:

The ending cinematics are significantly expanded in the DLC because the original was confusing in tone, message and content.

Try not to worry too much about it and just enjoy the ride - too much awareness of the criticisms will get in the way of your enjoyment. It'll make you nitpick/defend it based on its reception rather than your own perception.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I think the trilogy pack left out a bunch of stuff from ME3 (including the ones you mentioned). So yeah, probably have to buy them separately. :(

While I agree, it did at least fix some of the more absurd shit (
e.g. Normandy presumed to be stranded forever
). But yeah, still was a bad ending. Damn Hudson/Walters. :mad:

ME3: Citadel DLC is the "proper" epilogue, I'd recommend actually playing that straight after experiencing the extended cut ending to wash the bad taste away so that it doesn't retroactively sour the entire series and turn people off for ME4.

Patryn

ME3: Citadel DLC is the "proper" epilogue, I'd recommend actually playing that straight after experiencing the extended cut ending to wash the bad taste away so that it doesn't retroactively sour the entire series and turn people off for ME4.

Yeah, this.

Basically, IMO the proper order for playing the added content of ME3:

Omega - After completing Aria's requests on the Citadel. Feel free to talk to her, it only kicks off when you go to the special hanger.

From Ashes - As soon as possible, depending on the possible teammates you want to bring along, given that it takes place on Eden Prime.

Leviathan - Ideally towards the end of the game

Citadel - Make sure you have a save before the Point of No Return (you'll be warned when you're about to hit it).

Finish the game and then load up your save you made and only then play Citadel as the "epilogue".

I know I'm in the minority on this, but the side quest system worked fine for me. Against the backdrop of rushing rushing rushing to save the galaxy, the idea of having your omnitool automatically log info as you overhear things and load it into the journal (for optional action to be taken later) seemed to make a hell of a lot more sense than the usual "stop and waste precious time walking up to every npc to see what they have to bitch and moan about" method.
Normally I agree with this stance, but I'm also good at suspending my disbelief. I prefer fun sidequests where I at least have to work a little, explore a base on a world somewhere to track down a culprit, etc. A mix of ME1/ME2. In the end it's still a game, give me that instead of what we got just because 'realistically' in the war you shouldn't have time to do all that stuff.

Patryn

Normally I agree with this stance, but I'm also good at suspending my disbelief. I prefer fun sidequests where I at least have to work a little, explore a base on a world somewhere to track down a culprit, etc. A mix of ME1/ME2. In the end it's still a game, give me that instead of what we got just because 'realistically' in the war you shouldn't have time to do all that stuff.

It didn't help that the journal was terrible so it was tough figuring out if you had the item already or not.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I think the Citadel DLC is like a weird purgatory situation. It's so surreal considering what goes on at the end. Well, the original ending anyway.

Ralemont

not me
You'll love ME3 until the last 15 minutes, even with the extended cut ending included.

Anecdotally I've seen a lot of people satisfied with the ending having played through the first time with the Leviathan + EC. Everyone? Of course not, but a substantially higher ratio than the OE people.

It didn't help that the journal was terrible so it was tough figuring out if you had the item already or not.

The journal was never a problem for me since I just used the map anyway for quests (whenever a quest can be progressed the NPC's name appears on the Citadel map).

prag16

Banned

Yeah, regardless of our thoughts on the side quest mechanics, we can all probably agree that the journal was a half broken dumpster fire. No clue how they actually managed to regress in this area.

Exactly. Not to mention that it was the same case with ME1 and trying to chase down Saren, but that didn't stop them from putting a plethora of side-quests. As you said, in the end it's a video game (a sci-fi fantasy space opera no less), it's not like there needs to be a realistic representation on the essence of time.

I think I can agree with you on this for the most part, but there's something the first Mass Effect had that I just love. Just going through the different star systems, scanning planets for miscellanea, landing on uncharted worlds and happening upon random artifacts (Prothean pyramids, etc.) was fun for me. Even if they were just fetch-quests and items of little significance, I felt that it contributed greatly to the atmosphere. I can't really put my finger on it, but finding something like a League of One medallion or Dilinaga's writings and reading the little description or backstory to it just felt great. I guess it just goes back to the "stranger in a strange land" feeling talked about before when having this discussions.

Seconded. Especially if your love interest is Miranda.

Citadel is just awesome on so many levels.

geordiemp

Funnily enough I played Mass effect 3 probably 10 x more than the others for that great coop multiplayer.

Think it is my favourite 'survival' mode coop game I have played, bar none. The diversity in the characters, the way Vorchy moved and his growl when side stepping, oh so good.....

and the krogan headbut dance......when a few players selected krogen at start of each round...

Oh God, the ending. What really got me was when ghost kid told me synthetics could lever live at peace with organics as the Geth were barreling down on the Reapers along side every other race...........

More armor customization, for the player and NPCs. I walked by pretty much every race wishing i had armor that looked like theirs. I know, that would of cut back on EA's DLC.

The soldier class was neutered. Couldn't use every ammo type, or at least replace current one's with another. I went through the whole game without using disruptor or cryo ammo. Why couldn't I replace it with warp and armor piercing?

Get rid of the damn probe missions. Most boring fetch quests ever. Let me cruise around space without having to fuel, damn Space Simulator 3000.

Having to pay for Javik was pretty irritating. You'd a character that central to the plot would come with the game.

Give me the option to install a damn heatsink that cools down instead of ejecting cheap knock offs all the time.

BouncyFrag

Funnily enough I played Mass effect 3 probably 10 x more than the others for that great coop multiplayer.

Think it is my favourite 'survival' mode coop game I have played, bar none. The diversity in the characters, the way Vorchy moved and his growl when side stepping, oh so good.....

and the krogan headbut dance......when a few players selected krogen at start of each round...
So far it was the first and only multiplayer I've ever got really into. When they finally fixed the Kroguard, it was glorious. No more Krogans taking flight:
207627.jpg

Your headbutting reference reminded me of a thread I made on the BSN after a weekend operation that required squads all be of the same race. So. Many. Krogan. Headbutts for everyone:
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/400649-krogan-krogan-everywhere/

So I'm playing through ME2 and I'm trying to have a purposely bad playthrough by manipulating whether I do loyalty quests and neglecting to upgrade the Normandy. I'll use spoiler tags since it seems we have some ME newbies in the thread. Welcome to the galaxy, duders!

Basically I want have a bad run that results in the deaths of almost everyone that plays a significant part in ME3 while doing as many loyalty quests as possible. Mordin must survive, but ideally everyone else dies. I did a few loyalty quests without thinking about it, and also because of the content thing. I have done Mordin, Zaeed, Garrus, Jacob, Kasumi, and Jack.

So here's the plan. No ship upgrades takes care of Jack, Kasumi, and Thane. I'll send Jacob through the vents to snuff him. Miranda will be my biotic specialist during the Long Walk and that will kill Garrus. Tali will lead the the fire team, which should axe her. I won't send an escort with the crew, who should all be dead anyway since I got the IFF immediately.
Miranda will hold the line, which should kill her. I'll skip Samara's loyalty and take her and Mordin into the final battle. That should give me just enough score at the end for Mordin to live according to the flow chart. Or will I need to have a disloyal Grunt hold the line? Remember that I haven't uncorked him yet and would prefer not to. I think this sets me up to have only Mordin and Zaeed survive (since I screwed up and did his loyalty).

prag16

Banned
Oh God, the ending. What really got me was when ghost kid told me synthetics could lever live at peace with organics as the Geth were barreling down on the Reapers along side every other race...........

The xzibit argument.

I guess I'm in the minority on this too, but I don't have a problem with that aspect of the ending. So what, we (may have) made peace between geth/quarians, and EDI is good and all... So that means we're right and they're wrong? Maybe, but we have next to no data to back that, and the reapers potentially have millions of years of data. It's not a situation in which we can just take for granted that we know their logic is bad. We know fuckall in the scheme of things, and they at least *may* (and almost definitely do) know more than we do.

The xzibit "reaper logic" argument is lazy as shit and it annoys the crap out of me when people use it. Look up "tech singularity". But yeah, everything else about the ending was a dumpster fire.

The xzibit argument.

I guess I'm in the minority on this too, but I don't have a problem with that aspect of the ending. So what, we (may have) made peace between geth/quarians, and EDI is good and all... So that means we're right and they're wrong? Maybe, but we have next to no data to back that, and the reapers potentially have millions of years of data. It's not a situation in which we can just take for granted that we know their logic is bad. We know fuckall in the scheme of things, and they at least *may* (and almost definitely do) know more than we do.

The xzibit "reaper logic" argument is lazy as shit and it annoys the crap out of me when people use it. Look up "tech singularity". But yeah, everything else about the ending was a dumpster fire.

I think of the Reapers' logic the same way I view Dalek logic. The were programmed to view things a set way and despite their incomprehensible processing power they don't have the capacity to see beyond the original assumptions of the programmer.
The Leviathons are ruled by their absolute belief in their assumptions as shown by their reluctance to help Shepard as they refused to aknowledge the possibility of any other outcome than what had happened before. If the Reapers' creators can't fathom change, how can the Reapers?

(To be fair, I'm only on season four of the new Dr. Whos)

prag16

Banned
I think of the Reapers' logic the same way I view Dalek logic. The were programmed to view things a set way and despite their incomprehensible processing power they don't have the capacity to see beyond the original assumptions of the programmer.
The Leviathons are ruled by their absolute belief in their assumptions as shown by their reluctance to help Shepard as they refused to aknowledge the possibility of any other outcome than what had happened before. If the Reapers' creators can't fathom change, how can the Reapers?

(To be fair, I'm only on season four of the new Dr. Whos)

That's not unreasonable. Even under those assumptions, the xzibit argument does a large disservice (the ending is bad enough already outside of anything regarding the reaper logic).

However, I may be forgetting something, but I thought
the leviathans were turned on by the reapers because the reapers came to a conclusion not shared by the leviathans; not that the leviathans programmed the reapers to think things had to be a certain way.
I'll still maintain regardless that for people to dismiss the reaper logic out of hand with the xzibit argument is ridiculously presumptuous and narrow minded.

That's not unreasonable. Even under those assumptions, the xzibit argument does a large disservice (the ending is bad enough already outside of anything regarding the reaper logic).

However, I may be forgetting something, but I thought
the leviathans were turned on by the reapers because the reapers came to a conclusion not shared by the leviathans; not that the leviathans programmed the reapers to think things had to be a certain way.
I'll still maintain regardless that for people to dismiss the reaper logic out of hand with the xzibit argument is ridiculously presumptuous and narrow minded.

I may be comepletely off the rails, but...
My understanding was that the Reapers processed the Leviathons because they were following their programing perfectly to it's conclusion without regard for the Leviathans themselves. The Leviathans, for their part, were so sure that they were the alpha species that the possibility of the Reapers finding them to be expendable, redundant, or inferior was something they had never considered when programming them to find a final solution to the synthetic/organic problem.

Also, I've never read the Xzibit Argument. What's the gist of it? The only place I see it listed in google search is on Gamefaqs and I can't get there from my work computer. (No data on my phone from my office inside this building designed to double as a radioactive fallout shelter.)

prag16

Banned
I may be comepletely off the rails, but...
My understanding was that the Reapers processed the Leviathons because they were following their programing perfectly to it's conclusion without regard for the Leviathans themselves. The Leviathans, for their part, were so sure that they were the alpha species that the possibility of the Reapers finding them to be expendable, redundant, or inferior was something they had never considered when programming them to end all conflict between synthetics and organics.

Right. But
the programming was to "find a solution", not to "destroy all advanced life". Which means, they weren't programmed to think organics/synthetics could never coexist. They were programmed to figure out how to make sure future organic/synthetic conflicts would not destroy ALL life. They came to that conclusion based on their own presumed "research" plus whatever the leviathans told them. This still amounts to something a hell of a lot more substantive than the backing used for the xzibit argument.
Depending on how you look at it, that changes very little, or changes a lot. But these are the types of discussions I liked back when the ending was being debated.

The reductionist bullshit of the xzibit argument on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom