• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not particularly interested in remasters of the Mass Effect games.

It is not like they were made 10 years ago and look shit.

All three games have good graphics.

Yeah, that's my feeling as wel - I really can't see what a remaster will add, except maybe the streamlined combat to part 1.

Why are people being all 'day 1' about this? Just the convenience of having it on your current living room system?

I replayed the Citadel DLC yesterday because Dragon Age Inquisition got me jonesing for some Mass Effect. God damn I forgot how emotional that game made me feel.

Really need that remastered collection though. I'd played the games all on my previous TV (a 32"). I've since upgraded to a 50" and yeah...those Xbox 360 graphics look pretty rough on a bigger screen. Also the framerate in that DLC. Jesus. I'd still replay the shit out of those games on my 360 if we never get a remastered collection, but it would be so great to see those games in 1080p/60fps.

Yeah, that's my feeling as wel - I really can't see what a remaster will add, except maybe the streamlined combat to part 1.

Why are people being all 'day 1' about this? Just the convenience of having it on your current living room system?
Having all the games at 1080p, 60fps, high res textures, maybe some tweaks to the lighting, sharers,etc, include all the DLC, improve load times, make all the games work into each other seamlessly as one story if the player chooses, and other improvements that can definitely be made...hell yes I'd want that.

radeonxt

I hope to have a remaster edition with ALL DLCs! :(

I have the full trilogy in 360 and pc. But dlcs are really expensive!

Graphics are really better in pc but i prefer xbox controller though.

Having all the games at 1080p, 60fps, high res textures, maybe some tweaks to the lighting, sharers,etc, include all the DLC, improve load times, make all the games work into each other seamlessly as one story if the player chooses, and other improvements that can definitely be made...hell yes I'd want that.

Yeah, bump up the graphics, update shaders to Include some modern shaders (AO, Better DOF, Subsurface Scattering, etc) and make the three games a seamless experience and I'd be more than happy.

Also, add controller support on PC...

Lakitu

st5fu
I really need more Mass Effect in my life and the trilogy is the answer to that for me. Since my PS4 is my primary console now, it'd be great to have the games to tide me over until the next one comes out.

prag16

Banned
it would be so great to see those games in 1080p/60fps.
Obligatory mention of PC version doing this for years.

However, hi-res textures would be nice. Some of them are pretty brutal in spots as it stands. If there are substantive non-1080p60 changes made, hopefully PC would be involved. Not sure I'd triple dip at this point but who knows.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am not particularly interested in remasters of the Mass Effect games.

It is not like they were made 10 years ago and look shit.

All three games have good graphics.

Except for the fact that they can't be played on PS4 or Xbox One...which is the crowd they would be targeting with a remaster.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I understand where you're coming from. I used MCC as a comparison because it's the only re-master so far with multiple games, and it was produced in a similar time-frame if we're to believe an ME trilogy re-master will release next year, before ME 4 (which I admit could be wrong).

I have to say though, did 343 really have to do an in-comparable amount of work on Halos 1, 3 and 4 for MCC? Remember Combat Evolved had already been re-mastered. 3 and 4 were 360 games, so comparable with the Mass Effect trilogy in terms of work needed, surely? That leaves Halo 2, one extra game, as the only difference in work-load.

But I am sorry to be a Debbie Downer (I chuckled when I read that, by the way), I'm just being honest as a Mass Effect fan. I would put the trilogy in my all time top 5, a re-master would be wonderful. I would, like Halo fans lately, be really down if they messed up.

To be a bit more up-beat (and on-topic), in a trilogy re-master I would love all 3 games as they were with all dlc in full HD/60fps. A photo mode would be cool but not essential. Part 3's multi-player could be left out imo, to reduce work-load.

There was a CONSIDERABLE difference in work load. All of these games (as I understand it, but I could be wrong) were ported to work under one giant engine to be easily switched between on the go instead of straight ports of the game. Not to mention all of the massive multiplayer porting that had to be done. Of course that ended up broken.

You mentioned Halo 2, which required creating all new textures and assets and have it such that you could switch between two versions of the game. That alone required far more work than the entire ME trilogy would require.

A Mass Effect remaster would not require anywhere NEAR that level of work. It would (likely) be a simple port of the 3 games using the PC version assets, have them playable under one menu and voila!

Also you ignored my part about looking at Metro Redux which featured two games with the first one undergoing significant changes that far exceed what an ME trilogy would require. That came out pretty flawless.

The Halo MCC was a much larger project that probably had a budget a good 10 (maybe even 100) times the size of a regular remaster. It was essentially completely rebuilding the games.

In short, it's nowhere close to the same thing.

Of course, EA COULD decide to make the ME trilogy a project similar to Halo MCC if they wanted to, but even I agree that would be unnecessary when most of us would be happy with 1080p/60fps, all DLC and higher rez textures.

From My latest playthrough (Cinema Mod V1.01 default with Film grain + Sepia + Letter + HR textures + HDR + 8x Supersampling AA and some other shits) - It's so good in motion.

2wdyzjhwijaavxha5dna.png

r6vbxtk5ghe2k5f72djt.png

33376126838646748391.jpg

2xug61qr6jrq9wger2kd.png

Lothar

Banned
I'm playing the first Mass Effect for the first time. Does it really only allow 10 save spots for Xbox? Are all the Mass Effect games like that? I always like to keep spots before scenes or areas I like so I can either go back and show people or refresh my memory as to what happened in the story if it's been months since I last played it. (Usually the case with me and games)

I didn't consider the rejuvenated MP population... oh my god, hold me CitadelGAF... help me with the wait! (if it's even happening) haha :D
ME3 multiplayer singlehandedly got me into multiplayer gaming (I never played anything online outside of Street Fighter IV) before that. It went from being an unwelcome component of the game, necessary for full force readiness in the SP, to being the part of the game I played the most.

I love Mass Effect and if Bioware ever do release a re-mastered trilogy I'll buy it day one. Just to get that out the way.

Honestly, I have to say I'm unsure if they should bother going ahead with this idea. Simply because of the many problems of the troubled Master Chief Collection. It's the only comparable re-master I can think of and look at the sorry state it's (still) in. I would be crushed if we got a trilogy re-master and it was a bug-ridden mess.

Ok, it's likely Microsoft rushed 343 and that's why MCC is where it is....ok, maybe EA would allow Bioware the time and space to do this right....but I just don't know about that, to put it mildly. Basically I'm uncomfortable the whole thing will go south. A re-master is an idea to excite any Mass Effect fan, but maybe we're better off just plugging our 360 or ps3 back in when we fancy another play-through?
Well...only ME3 even had multiplayer (and it was GOOOOOOD), so they only need to replicate that one version. My understanding is that MCC's problems are mainly the multiplayer.

Then again, I wouldn't be opposed to them doing the remaster in Frostbite. I also wouldn't mind having the combat be similar throughout the three games. I can't get into ME1 combat and ME2 combat feels like driving a train through corridors after playing ME3...

Shinobi:

I gotta know what are games rank highly for you - my girlfriend and I both love the ME games and DA:I. I'm wondering what other games rank as highly for you in case there's something notable that I haven't played that I should give a chance.

From My latest playthrough (Cinema Mod V1.01 default with Film grain + Sepia + Letter + HR textures + HDR + 8x Supersampling AA and some other shits) - It's so good in motion.
It's pretty. But it seems wrong to put film grain over high-resolution textures.
I'm playing the first Mass Effect for the first time. Does it really only allow 10 save spots for Xbox? Are all the Mass Effect games like that? I always like to keep spots before scenes or areas I like so I can either go back and show people or refresh my memory as to what happened in the story if it's been months since I last played it. (Usually the case with me and games)
Yes, there's a limit of 10 end-game import saves, and they're hidden (both from the Xbox 360 menus and from the in-game save/load menus). BioWare only did this for Mass Effect 1. If you're worried about running out of slots, try this. I don't know if this method still works after the latest dashboard update, but I've used it before successfully:

1. Plug a USB drive into your Xbox 360. Format it if necessary.
2. Go to Settings -> Storage -> Hard Drive.
3. Press Y to transfer content. Select your USB drive as the destination.
4. There should be a list of data that you can transfer. Select the item named "publisher data" (and nothing else). This is where the end-game import saves for Mass Effect 1 are hidden.
5. Transfer the content.
6. Congratulations! You have successfully removed your end-game import saves from your Xbox 360 hard drive.

From My latest playthrough (Cinema Mod V1.01 default with Film grain + Sepia + Letter + HR textures + HDR + 8x Supersampling AA and some other shits) - It's so good in motion

Nice to see people still using this! I should really update the port to use the latest version of SweetFX. I think it has better HDR and grain shaders than my crappy ENB ones lol. Man I need to reinstall all MEs and do another playthrough.

yeahhhhhhhhhh, but I'm far from my PC right now :( maybe next time for video :p

the film grain is a little bit crappy. I tweaked it a lot, but still not good. hope NME use a decent one :p

more pics:(SweetFX + ENB FTW)

83770412707200297536.png

12757190330546867448.png

88367638847473737041.jpg

30954414124640185118.png

45542430234583842271.png

37737143318253548056.png

Asbear

Banned
I've never played ME1. I own it, but the combat and movement are SO different that it's hard for me to get into it, sadly. If they remake ME1, I hope they make the combat at least similar to ME2.

That's a shame. The plot and the side-missions are really good in the first game. I'd say ME1 has the best plot by far, ME2 has the best characters and ME3 has the most emotionally engaging story but the writing is very inconsistent but the gameplay and graphics are the best by far.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's a shame. The plot and the side-missions are really good in the first game. I'd say ME1 has the best plot by far, ME2 has the best characters and has the most emotionally engaging story but for ME3 the writing is very inconsistent but the gameplay and graphics are the best by far.

Fixed it for you! :p

Asbear

Banned
Fixed it for you! :p

I'd be a coward to turn a back on my own words but I actually agree with you in the sense that I think the writing is just way better in 2, but I think ME3 is more emotionally engaging in the sense that it was directed to be very emotional. The downside here is that ME3's emotionally focused storytelling is often way too forced, and half the character deaths are forced and just there to add more drama even if it doesn't fully make sense... but I still feel like ME3 made me more emotionally engaged whereas ME2 just made me more immersed and made me feel like I was a part of the universe.

I guess ME2 did escapism better and ME3 did drama better, despite of being a bit too melodramatic, but the stakes were high and I remember the emotions I went through on my first playthrough because I didn't want bad things to happen to my crew and generally the people I cared about in the story. ME2 set me up to care, for the galaxy, for the characters. ME3 then threw my heart in a blender by putting with the attachments to the galaxy and its characters at stake.

xam3l

I see the trilogy this way.

ME1 - Fuck me!
ME2 - Fuck yeah!
ME3 - We're fucked.

Something in the lines of Discovery > Progression > Confrontation.

And it felt good.

prag16

Banned
For me the combat system hit the sweet spot in ME 2. The powers hit their target hard, combos detonated in a satisfying way, the weapons had a good variety and Shepard was mobile without feeling weightless. Maybe it just suits my playstyle as a Sentinel but it still feels the best of the 3, imo.

I wouldn't mind if they re-master the trilogy with Frostbite either, it would look good...but I wouldn't really want them to alter how the games play. For instance, they should keep ME 1 the rough diamond it is, janky combat and broken inventory and everything!
I think it's been said before, but a remaster using Frostbite sounds like more work than it's worth. But who knows.

radeonxt

UIff I hate Ue3, it has aged really bad, I hope that, if there is a remaster in way, they port it to frostbite, cryengine or UE4... :S

prag16

Banned
Well there's me showing my ignorance again. Sorry.

I'm sure Bioware know what would work best. My main hope is that if they go ahead with a re-master, EA let them take as long as they need.
Others have said that their UE license expired, and that they wouldn't do a remaster because of this plus the work it would take to do it in Frostbite. However that was before Aaryn Flynn came in here hinting at things. So all bets are off at this point! We'll see what happens.

2San

I don't understand how you can go through all that trouble modifying a game and then play with shitty FOV settings.

Obeso

Banned
Yeah, bump up the graphics, update shaders to Include some modern shaders (AO, Better DOF, Subsurface Scattering, etc) and make the three games a seamless experience and I'd be more than happy.

Also, add controller support on PC...
I wanted to replay ME3 since I finished, but the lack of controller support make me give up everytime...

2San

I just want a package with ALL DLC included in the disc.
Yeah I recently paid 50 to 60 euro for all the DLC on PC. I gave up on it ever going on sale on PC. :( Having a full package would make it easier to go on sale, so the whole Bioware point thing can finally die.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd be a coward to turn a back on my own words but I actually agree with you in the sense that I think the writing is just way better in 2, but I think ME3 is more emotionally engaging in the sense that it was directed to be very emotional. The downside here is that ME3's emotionally focused storytelling is often way too forced, and half the character deaths are forced and just there to add more drama even if it doesn't fully make sense... but I still feel like ME3 made me more emotionally engaged whereas ME2 just made me more immersed and made me feel like I was a part of the universe.

I guess ME2 did escapism better and ME3 did drama better, despite of being a bit too melodramatic, but the stakes were high and I remember the emotions I went through on my first playthrough because I didn't want bad things to happen to my crew and generally the people I cared about in the story. ME2 set me up to care, for the galaxy, for the characters. ME3 then threw my heart in a blender by putting with the attachments to the galaxy and its characters at stake.

Yeah, I was giving you a hard time and I think you hit the nail on the head when you said the drama in ME3 was very forced. If they had struck to the original script it would have been even worse since it would have had a forced scene were Kai Ling supposedly kills one of your squadmates. The scenes with him were the worst.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, I was giving you a hard time and I think you hit the nail on the head when you said the drama in ME3 was very forced. If they had struck to the original script it would have been even worse since it would have had a forced scene were Kai Ling supposedly kills one of your squadmates. The scenes with him were the worst.

Well he still
killed Thane
, that counts as a squadmate to me even if he wasn't one in ME3. :p

Your pictures are quality. Could you maybe stick up a couple from ME 2?

Never touched them. just forced AA. because lighing and art direction in 1 and 2 (2 have some amazing textures too) are so good that I don't want to change anything.

but, I have some arty pics from 2 (also ME 1, If anyone is interested. mostly MAKO and gorgeous vistas :p) if you want:

5nf8n42cle4repqc8605.png

49610185848657753403.jpg

41383944585707469396.jpg

43387403160818379252.jpg

12910870780392670273.jpg

57503371492692885067.jpg

17007328829014186132.jpg

60090443029189166616.jpg

47963359193051483941.jpg

55667967216304803461.jpg

73462637476111123390.jpg

CGwizz

I am kinda worried they go with SUPER BIG worlds like dragon age inquisition and i have to eat pop ins every second i am traveling :S (ps4 here, their games have always more problems on sony platforms)

I prefer more stuff like mass effect 1 and 2, big long missions like in mass effect 1 and mass effect 2 DLC´s

grumble

The remaster will do what it is supposed to do, which is make a bunch of money for the firm. It is relatively cheap to make a remaster versus a new game, and they generally sell well since apparently gamers would rather replay games than play new ones.

For me, it's a way of future-proofing. I bought the Mass Effect games for my Xbox 360. Eventually, Xbox Live will be shut down for the 360, just like it was for the original Xbox. After that happens, if my current 360 dies (and it will, eventually), then I'll have lost my ability to play all of the Mass Effect DLC I bought, even if I buy a new 360, because I'll have no way to re-download the licenses. But if BioWare release a trilogy collection that contains all the DLC on the disc, then all I need to ensure eternal access to that DLC is: 1) a working disc, and 2) a working console. Both of those will always be available, at least on the second-hand market--and I won't be dependent on servers which will eventually be shut down.

I'm the kind of person who still plays my 20-year-old SNES games from time to time, so this is a very real concern for me. For example, I've already lost my ability to ever play the DLC I downloaded for Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory on the original Xbox; it's something I think about a lot. And it's the reason I always buy GOTY/Complete/Fuck-You editions whenever I can.

Maledict

It's really sad, but apart from the fun of playing through the games again with better graphics would be the multiplayer mode. I enjoyed that far more than I should have done, and would love to play it again someday. Unfortunately, I'm not sure my 360 even boots up anymore and if it does I suspect the game is fairly dead..

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I'm Day 1 about this because it contains my single favorite game from last gen (Mass Effect 2) and since I no longer have my PS3 or 360 and am not a fan of playing with a keyboard and mouse on PC having it on PS4 in one complete package is very desirable.

Not to mention the benefits of 1080p/60fps and all the DLC. I do not expect the combat to get much (if any) tweaks for ME1 since it would be such a radical change. Streamlining the inventory system is really the only change I can see them making in ME1.

I finished the trilogy today for the first time (I still need to finish Citadel DLC though) and I gotta say this franchise is one of the best I ever played.

Back then I read that people were so upset with the ending when ME3 came out but I really liked it. Well, I have Leviathan, From Ashes and the Extended Cut DLCs, so it might have helped a lot. A friend of mine guided me to have the best experience possible.

I got the good ending, and I was completely surprised.. I was spoiled of
Shepard's death, so when the cutscene showed her breathing I was ecstasy.. I was already crying since the goodbyes in London

Before this game and the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, I didn't liked science fiction or spece-themed media. But now I'm completely converted.

Oh, it was also my first BioWare game. The company now has my regards and trust. The dialogue tree and the cinematic camera during conversation were an awesome feature in this trilogy. The characters were also great. It's like a family now. :)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I finished the trilogy today for the first time (I still need to finish Citadel DLC though) and I gotta say this franchise is one of the best I ever played.

Back then I read that people were so upset with the ending when ME3 came out but I really liked it. Well, I have Leviathan, From Ashes and the Extended Cut DLCs, so it might have helped a lot. A friend of mine guided me to have the best experience possible.

I got the good ending, and I was completely surprised.. I was spoiled of
Shepard's death, so when the cutscene showed her breathing I was ecstasy.. I was already crying since the goodbyes in London

Before this game and the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, I didn't liked science fiction or spece-themed media. But now I'm completely converted.

Oh, it was also my first BioWare game. The company now has my regards and trust. The dialogue tree and the cinematic camera during conversation were an awesome feature in this trilogy. The characters were also great. It's like a family now. :)

Most of the people who were upset about the trilogy ending were the people who did multiple playthroughs with different characters and different decisions and were hoping for those different decisions to manifest themselves into a better ending, which sadly didn't happen.

If you did one playthrough I'm not surprised that the ending didn't bother you as much.

However, for me the Citadel is the real ending. I just playthrough the original ending and then start the Citadel DLC right afterwards and that makes it a serviceable end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom