• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

prag16

Banned
ME1 has some good side content, but a lot of it is real bad too. Particularly UNC worlds related. As much as a I hate a lot of DAI side content, it's at least more polished than surfing to the next UNC planet, loading, landing, making way to map marker on other side of mountain, getting matriarch writing, then loading back to the Normandy again.

Yeah, I think people overstate the quality of the side content and exploration in ME1. The formula got boring almost immediately It was probably better for the people that enjoyed dicking around in the mako for more than 5 minutes. I wasn't one of those people.

That said, DA:I (as was said) has its own issues. Everything's in a nicer wrapper, but it felt very grindey and mmo-ish (the side content that is).

Off topic, is it just me or does DA:I not look all that good? Maybe I'm misremembering how ME was after not having touched it in a year, but while the environments are nice, the character models... kind of suck in DA:I? I mean, am I wrong? I know Dragon Age was always a little more cartoony and stylized than Mass Effect, but I'll kind of be disappointed if the models look like this in ME4. As one example from something I played very recently, the CoD:AW models look vastly better (and not just the spiffed up cutscene models; the in-gameplay models too). :(

Off topic, is it just me or does DA:I not look all that good? Maybe I'm misremembering how ME was after not having touched it in a year, but while the environments are nice, the character models... kind of suck in DA:I? I mean, am I wrong? I know Dragon Age was always a little more cartoony and stylized than Mass Effect, but I'll kind of be disappointed if the models look like this in ME4. As one example from something I played very recently, the CoD:AW models look vastly better (and not just the spiffed up cutscene models; the in-gameplay models too). :(

DA:I just has shit animations I think. Or bad transitions between animations, or something. The basic attacks for mages flows well enough but just running around, jumping and stuff looks really bad and fake a lot of the time.

The faces are top tier, but overall the graphics in DAI are not the best frostbite game. God, go back and play DAO if you want to see *really* ugly graphics though.

Banned
DA:I just has shit animations I think. Or bad transitions between animations, or something. The basic attacks for mages flows well enough but just running around, jumping and stuff looks really bad and fake a lot of the time.

The faces are top tier, but overall the graphics in DAI are not the best frostbite game. God, go back and play DAO if you want to see *really* ugly graphics though.
Maybe they didn't motion capture anything?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I need that remaster in my veins....

In my opinion, Mr Flynn wouldn't have come on here with the specifics he did if it wasn't in the works.... I foresee a November 7th 2015 release date for the remaster (but sooner would be better) and a March 13th 2016 release for ME4.

I'm holding off on my next playthrough in hopes of a remaster; it's so very, very painful.

As someone who didn't enjoy ME1 or 2, and I tried them for a few hours.

What are the chances of Bioware making a re-release with Next-Gen LoL, graphics where they cut all the shit missions out of 1,2,3 and just make it 1 game with the most exciting moments?

thanks, any good PC mods or DLC I should get or avoid?

I played it on 360, so no advice on mods, but you're going to want to get all the story DLC for sure:

-From Ashes

-Leviathan

-Citadel (which is, incidentally, absolutely the best bit of DLC I've ever played, bar none).

Also, make sure you snag the Extended Cut and the free multiplayer stuff.

I played it on 360, so no advice on mods, but you're going to want to get all the story DLC for sure:

-From Ashes

-Leviathan

-Citadel (which is, incidentally, absolutely the best bit of DLC I've ever played, bar none).

Also, make sure you snag the Extended Cut and the free multiplayer stuff.

Does the digital Deluxe version contain all this? I only see From Ashes listed on it

Just From Ashes and the free stuff. Leviathan and Citadel will need to be purchased separately.

And bought, thanks for the help!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Of the games Digital Foundry just reviewed the last gen versions of, Dragon Age by far held up the best (and was a last gen only project for the longest), so I suspect that's a big part of it.

prag16

Banned

HAH, no need to go back to DA:O. Even right when it came out on a relatively beefy PC I thought it looked like crap.

As for DA:I, I mean, yeah, I guess the faces are nice, but in motion they look really stiff, almost as stiff as the classic UE3 faces. And you're right about the rest of the animations; almost everything looks just a bit janky whether it's body language in cutscenes, or just running around, or attacking.

Don't get me wrong, enjoying the game overall so far, but just hoping that in terms of presentation, the bar will be set significantly higher for the next Mass Effect.

Hopefully as was alluded the crossgen aspect negatively affected things; that's an albatross that will NOT be around the next Mass Effect's neck.

Nuke Soda

I have to say that after playing Dragon Age: Inquisition I am a lot less worried about ME4. Bioware still seems to be Bioware even without the founders.

Ralemont

not me
speaking of ME, 3 is $5.99 on origin which is the cheapest I've seen it so far, worth it?

I know you bought it already, but I just want to chime in that I think ME3 is a fantastic game, and that Leviathan and Citadel are excellent DLCs. As Poodle said make sure to download all the free DLC as well.

Hahs

I need that remaster in my veins....

In my opinion, Mr Flynn wouldn't have come on here with the specifics he did if it wasn't in the works.... I foresee a November 7th 2015 release date for the remaster (but sooner would be better) and a March 13th 2016 release for ME4.

I'm holding off on my next playthrough in hopes of a remaster; it's so very, very painful.

I'm banking on seeing a now-gen remaster sometime before ME4. If Bioware has enough hands to pull that off while ME4 is production, it would definitely be worth $$ their $$ while $$ in the $$$ long $$ run!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm banking on seeing a now-gen remaster sometime before ME4. If Bioware has enough hands to pull that off while ME4 is production, it would definitely be worth $$ their $$ while $$ in the $$$ long $$ run!

Farm it out to Bluepoint studios and we will all get a great port!

I want it so bad. Being able to play through the complete trilogy in one sitting*, backed up by a rejuvenated ME3 multi population? Yes, please!

*Obviously not in one literal sitting, I'd die of dehydration long before I finished, but no swapping of discs and whatnot.

m_dorian

I have this friend that is now playing ME3 after been thrilled with ME & 2, so he called me saying how great it would be for Shepard being in Hackett's position or a similar one for ME4.
I didnt spoil it but i told him this is never going to happen and i felt sorrow for my friend the same time. :(

Anyway, i really hope they ME4 is helmed by a competent lead writer and better executive producer this time, DA:I seems a nice comeback for Bioware.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I want it so bad. Being able to play through the complete trilogy in one sitting*, backed up by a rejuvenated ME3 multi population? Yes, please!

*Obviously not in one literal sitting, I'd die of dehydration long before I finished, but no swapping of discs and whatnot.

I didn't consider the rejuvenated MP population... oh my god, hold me CitadelGAF... help me with the wait! (if it's even happening) haha :D

Great it's cool to love Bioware again after DAI. I felt like such an outsider constantly expressing my undying love for my favorite developer.

RedSwirl

I've been getting into the Elite series recently (not Dangerous) and man, this has a lot of what I wanted from Mass Effect. I understand it's due to procedural generation, but it's still amazing. When playing ME I just assumed there's no way they'd ever be able to have you fly your ship around fully 3D rendered solar systems in real time. I had no idea space games had been doing that very thing for decades. Depending on how the controls and distances between planets work out it presents a really cool feeling of exploration. Frontier Elite II in particular is blowing my mind with how much information, detail, and gameplay potential it packs into a bunch of realistic solar systems. The only reason what Frontier does wouldn't make sense for a modern mainstream game is because all its solar systems are 1:1 scale, which means you have to fast forward time by 10,000x in order to get anywhere. I could totally imagine Mass Effect doing something more like Elite 1 (maybe with shorter distances or faster ships) where you just fly into orbit of each planet and then land in specific hand-crafted areas on those planets.

BioWare will probably end up doing something similar to Inquisition though where each world you can land on will just have its own large-but-closed-in sandbox full of activities to do. I don't know if I'll be able to look at it the same though after messing around with actual space simulators. And No Man's Sky is probably going to make that kind of space simulator more well-known to mainstream audiences.

Shoe786

Mass Effect 4 Story prediction: The galaxy is under attack by an ancient, powerful evil. The player character is some relatively unimportant person who through several unlikely encounters is given command of a task force to stop this evil. The player will have to go about 4 or 5 different zones where the locals are having some internal conflict, the player will help one side win, and the winning side will help the player defeat this ultimate evil in a final battle.

Mass Effect 4 Story prediction: The galaxy is under attack by an ancient, powerful evil. The player character is some relatively unimportant person who through several unlikely encounters is given command of a task force to stop this evil. The player will have to go about 4 or 5 different zones where the locals are having some internal conflict, the player will help one side win, and the winning side will help the player defeat this ultimate evil in a final battle.
hqoG5jg.png

Yes, it will probably be a video game. How cutting.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Here is an interesting question: when they rerelease the trilogy on current gen systems (yes I said when) would you like seeing the storyline involving the original catalyst restored?
it was supposed to be Javik but since he became DLC that obviously changed

Or when they give Bioware enough rope to hang themselves.

Subtle but salient.

Here is an interesting question: when they rerelease the trilogy on current gen systems (yes I said when) would you like seeing the storyline involving the original catalyst restored?

While there is some potential (if you look at the leaked drafts, that version of the Calalyst also lead to
Shepard losing Spectre-status, falling out with Udina and changing the role of Kai Leng on Thessia)
, I think a director's cut is out of the question with the director (Casey Hudson) not actually being there.

Also, I suspect many within BioWare just want to look to the future and polish the tarnish off the franchise. Going back in and changing the storyline of the old trilogy, even if for the better, would be the biggest mistake if your goal is to move on.

The more I think about it, the more I think a remaster of Mass Effect 1 is enough - not the whole trilogy, just the first one. It keeps the scope of the project manageable, it's the touchstone for the upcoming continution, it has a single story with a beginning, middle and satisfying end, it's new to many younger players etc.

Patryn

If they're making that much of a change, I'd rather they just change the whole thing.

However, both are extremely unlikely to be achievable.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The more I think about it, the more I think a remaster of Mass Effect 1 is enough - not the whole trilogy, just the first one. It keeps the scope of the project manageable, it's the touchstone for the upcoming continution, it has a single story with a beginning, middle and satisfying end, it's new to many younger players etc.

No way. It needs to be all 3 of them. It would be pointless and would tick off a lot of people if it was just the first one.

If they're making that much of a change, I'd rather they just change the whole thing.

However, both are extremely unlikely to be achievable.

It's a change that is obviously not going to happen, but I was curious what people thought about it.

Maledict

ME1 is the least exciting of all 3 to remaster to be honest. 2 was an utterly amazing game all round, and 3 has the fantastic multiplayer, but 1 has soooo many flaws I couldn't face up to replaying it again on its own.

Don't get me wrong - I had a fantastic time with it, and the end piece with the run up the cited all and calling the earth fleet in to help was (at the time) the closest any game had ever gotten to putting me into a sci-fi show. But it's also the only game I never managed to replay because of how poor it is in other areas.

TeddyBoy

hey ME-GAF: have there been rumors of a current-gen remaster of the trilogy? What are the chances for it happening?

Well a Bioware employee can in here to ask what we'd want in a ME remaster, other than that there's not really anything at all. EA even failed to renew their Unreal Enigine 3 license so they'd have to renew that to release a remaster of the three games (or port all three games to a different engine).

That's about all there is right now, make of that what you will.

Precisely.
DA:I made me really think that the ones who made DA:I are different with ME series. The animations are really off compared to ME 3. Animations in ME series are smooth, just like watching a movie. They're like made by totally different devs.

Dennis

Banned
Someone has to have the inside scoop on the new Mass Effect.

I PM'ed noted Mass Effect super-fan EatChildren but he never replied. Suspicious!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I love Mass Effect and if Bioware ever do release a re-mastered trilogy I'll buy it day one. Just to get that out the way.

Honestly, I have to say I'm unsure if they should bother going ahead with this idea. Simply because of the many problems of the troubled Master Chief Collection. It's the only comparable re-master I can think of and look at the sorry state it's (still) in. I would be crushed if we got a trilogy re-master and it was a bug-ridden mess.

Ok, it's likely Microsoft rushed 343 and that's why MCC is where it is....ok, maybe EA would allow Bioware the time and space to do this right....but I just don't know about that, to put it mildly. Basically I'm uncomfortable the whole thing will go south. A re-master is an idea to excite any Mass Effect fan, but maybe we're better off just plugging our 360 or ps3 back in when we fancy another play-through?
Stop being a Debbie downer.

The Halo MCC is not something that remasters should be compared to since those games were more or less rewritten from ground up and had a lot more work done than an ME remaster would require. Not to mention the multilayer component was their selling point. That won't be the case for an ME trilogy, which is largely a single player experience.

An ME trilogy would likely be straight ports with higher Rez textures all DLC and 1080p/60fps and nothing more, which should be fairly straight forward to do since they use the unreal engine and have the PC version to serve as the basis for the point.

Before you expect remasters to be like Halo MCC you need to look at other remasters like Metro Redux, The Last of Us and Tomb Raider DE. All of those are flawless from a technical standpoint.

In short, could they fuck it up? Yes, but it won't but I wouldn't expect it to be an issue.

In short, a remaster will be just fine.

Dennis

Banned
I am not particularly interested in remasters of the Mass Effect games.

It is not like they were made 10 years ago and look shit.

All three games have good graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom