• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

Love me some Anthrax.. music that is. ;)

True story, went to Priest Concert cause Anthrax was the opening band. Not really a fan of Priest. Actually after 15 min of Halfords screeching nail on chalkboard like voice we left.

I'd say at least 85% of the time.

depends on where you're getting your music from

I just found the vinyl-GAF thread, hooray! Thanks for everyone's input :eek:

Oh hell naw, you shut your whore mouth. Virgin Steele is the only power metal band I mention in the same breath as Blind Guardian. Invictus is one of the best power metal albums of all time, and it's epic narrative of divine warfare is well-told and fits the music like a glove. Great concept albums aren't dead!

I saw them live back in May, and my god was it glorious

Wow, they're still around?
I used to have this album back in the 80s (actually I still have it - on vinyl):

ktI0J.jpg

Haven't heard them in decades though...

FACE

Banned
Oh hell naw, you shut your whore mouth. Virgin Steele is the only power metal band I mention in the same breath as Blind Guardian. Invictus is one of the best power metal albums of all time, and it's epic narrative of divine warfare is well-told and fits the music like a glove. Great concept albums aren't dead!

I saw them live back in May, and my god was it glorious

I agree with you, they're awesome. Being cheesy is not necessarily a bad thing in my eyes(ears in this case).

I agree with you, they're awesome. Being cheesy is not necessarily a bad thing in my eyes(ears in this case).
Yeah, I can definitely understand why some people have that view of it. If it were possible to be objective when evaluating music I guess it would err more on the cheesy side of the spectrum. Maybe I'm just in denial!

But you're right, it's not a bad thing it all. In fact, it is a splendid and glorious sound to behold

Zozobra

So I've been going through all the awesome metal that came out in 2012 and trying to come up with what my favorite album is, and really it wasn't much of a contest in the end:

pwLCq.jpg

Probably the most amazing doom I've heard since Sleep's Dopesmoker, Pallbearer just slays. Mind-numbing riffs, amazing vocals, and killer production just put it over the top. They remind me of YOB crossed with Warning crossed with The Deep Blue. The fact that they are from my home town of Little Rock, Arkansas is just icing on a delicious, riff-filled cake.

Honorable Mentions:

Bell Witch - Longing...
Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
Pig Destroyer - Book Burner
Old Man Gloom - No
Wintersun - Time I
Blut Aus Nord - 777 Cosmosophy

Man, I just recently got this album after seeing it on so many year-end lists. So fucking good!

Hesemonni

Banned
DT can do no wrong.
We are the Void? Not bad, but uninspired and awfully mediocre, by DT's standards.
Ok, this melodeath album came of out nowhere, but it's seriously awesome.
http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/sonsofaeon-620x620.jpg[img]
[URL="http://www.inferno.fi/uutiset/inferno-tarjoaa-kuuntele-sons-of-aeonin-debyyttilevy/"]Album can be streamed here[/URL]

The band aparantly consists of a bunch of [B]Ghost Brigade[/B] members.[/QUOTE]
Ghost Brigade is one of the rare bands in the recent years that I've been genuinely excited about so color me interested. Gotta give it a spin.

Hesemonni

Banned
Hmm, I need to get into Dark Tranquility. Keep forgetting to do that.

*Runs to get The Gallery*
When I was in high school I was introduced to Swedish melodeath by a friend of mine who gave me In Flames' Jotun, Dark Tranquillity's The Gallery and At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul. In retrospect I could've done alot worse :p

Anyway, Anaal Narthrakh's Forging towards the Sunset blows me away with the chorus bit every fucking time.

has anyone been to the Eagles Club in Milwaukee? I'm going there for the first time to see Testament, and I'll probably get VIP tickets. Hows the view form the 'vip' area?

been listening to nothing but pig destroyer for the last 48 hours.
really hitting the spot

That's a shit load of tracks, somewhere between 500-1000 I'd guess.
I gave the new album a couple of listens, but it doesn't invite me to listen to it often. I have a similar feeling with the rest of Pig Destroyer and grind in general. I don't dislike it (though I really don't like low gutteral vocals), I like the ferocity. But somewhere it can't grab me and keep me interested. Exceptions are Nasum, I love them, Repulsion, and Symphonies of Sickness I guess. Dunno why.

spink

That's a shit load of tracks, somewhere between 500-1000 I'd guess.
I gave the new album a couple of listens, but it doesn't invite me to listen to it often. I have a similar feeling with the rest of Pig Destroyer and grind in general. I don't dislike it (though I really don't like low gutteral vocals), I like the ferocity. But somewhere it can't grab me and keep me interested. Exceptions are Nasum, I love them, Repulsion, and Symphonies of Sickness I guess. Dunno why.

372 according to my last.fm account

there's barely any guttural vocals in Pig Destroyer?

faridmon

We are the void was mediocre when I first got it, but the more I listen to it the better it gote.Abd now I consider it one of the best Albums of 2011

Quackula

Oh Morbid Angel.

I managed to pretty much completely forget about Illud Divinum Insanus,

then I listened to Altars of Madness again and remembered it.

I waited so long for that album :(

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Don't mean to offend, but what's the point on listening to this album. Is very depressing music and if a person has depression, will only raise that. I don't get it.
I like to think of myself as a doom metal guy here on Metal-GAF, and I have to say that you have a very close minded approach to things. I listen to music to relate to its emotion. Now, while I try to be happy, sadness is a natural emotion like any other, and trying to ignore it is unhealthy. Listening to doom metal (which isn't always depressing) serves as a means of catharsis, which allows us to express our emotions, release them, and through that process, achieve some level of joy. Trying to listen to "happy music" and force a smile on our faces doesn't always work. Doom metal serves as a release for these emotions, and ultimately, it's just good music. Music is an integral part of the human condition, and has been enjoyed since the dawn of civilization. It doesn't need to be explained, and it can't be explained. I know that I just tried to, but I'm hoping you get where I'm coming from.

Don't mean to offend, but what's the point on listening to this album. Is very depressing music and if a person has depression, will only raise that. I don't get it.

Same can be said for why you would listen to death metal. It's ugly sounding, if you're ugly it would only make you uglier.

Music is music and all types are fitting for the context it serves.

I like to think of myself as a doom metal guy here on Metal-GAF, and I have to say that you have a very close minded approach to things. I listen to music to relate to its emotion. Now, while I try to be happy, sadness is a natural emotion like any other, and trying to ignore it is unhealthy. Listening to doom metal (which isn't always depressing) serves as a means of catharsis, which allows us to express our emotions, release them, and through that process, achieve some level of joy. Trying to listen to "happy music" and force a smile on our faces doesn't always work. Doom metal serves as a release for these emotions, and ultimately, it's just good music. Music is an integral part of the human condition, and has been enjoyed since the dawn of civilization. It doesn't need to be explained, and it can't be explained. I know that I just tried to, but I'm hoping you get where I'm coming from.
I like doom metal, but mostly that up-beat doom (Iron Man, Witchfinder General, etc), I get your point, is just, I have depression. I try it to listen to this album and I felt a bit depressed, and I was just like, hell, I'm not gonna listen to this anymore just to worse things, so I changed my music and my mood got better. I mean... I just don't like being depressed, and I don't want to raise that. Sorry if I sounded close minded.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I like doom metal, but mostly that up-beat doom (Iron Man, Witchfinder General, etc), I get your point, is just, I have depression. I try it to listen to this album and I felt a bit depressed, and I was just like, hell, I'm not gonna listen to this anymore just to worse things, so I changed my music and my mood got better. I mean... I just don't like being depressed, and I don't want to raise that. Sorry if I sounded close minded.
Well, that's fine, my man. We each have our own unique reactions to different kinds of music. For you, this type of music makes things worse, but for some of us, it acts as a catharsis. No problems.

I've been listening to the new Grave album these past few weeks, and I've come to the conclusion that I love Swedish death metal better than other regions of death metal (except Immolation, no one tops them). Any recommendations outside the most notable bands (Entombed, Dismember, At the Gates, etc.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom