• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchiah

I have multiple close relatives in Scandinavia, and I've been to Sweden and Norway multiple times. From what I've been able to see (and I admit that I'm not an expert), but Christianity's influence stems from a cultural perspective that seems to be intertwined in general Western society. Trying to escape that just seems silly to me.

A man would hope to be able to bring up his own children in his own way, without some zealot intervening in the process. Trying to avoid it might not seem so silly if the tables were turned.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
A man would hope to be able to bring up his own children in his own way, without some zealot intervening in the process. Trying to avoid it might not seem so silly if the tables were turned.
I used to live in Iraq, my man. Trust me, me and my family know a thing or two about religious persecution, so please, don't try to lecture me on it. I've had multiple close relatives killed because of it, and I continue to do so. Hell, the only reason why I have any relatives in Scandinavia is because they were accepted as refugees trying to escape religious persecution.

I'm generally curious now, though. How do zealots interfere in the raising of someone's child? I'm not trying to be mean here. I genuinely want to know.

FYC

Banned
Picked up Sabbath Bloody Sabbath(Black Sabbath) and Follow The Reaper(Children of Bodom) at the record store

Today was a good day

Blackheim

anyone listen to that Oblivion album? some pretty sweet riffs.

Listened to 4 songs, tracks 3, 4, 5 & 6...

74Xfn.jpg

:p

Melchiah

I used to live in Iraq, my man. Trust me, me and my family know a thing or two about religious persecution, so please, don't try to lecture me on it. I've had multiple close relatives killed because of it, and I continue to do so. Hell, the only reason why I have any relatives in Scandinavia is because they were accepted as refugees trying to escape religious persecution.

I'm generally curious now, though. How do zealots interfere in the raising of someone's child? I'm not trying to be mean here. I genuinely want to know.

I didn't realize this was a competition of who has it worse. Persecution comes in many forms, and if it's not as extreme as somewhere else it doesn't make it any less intolerable. Everyone judges things based on their own experiences.

As for your question; by force-feeding the doctrine to the infants, whether it's sanctioned by the parents or not. That applies especially to the northern parts of Finland, even today. In fact, a pre-school in my hometown recently refused to obey the law, and still insist on putting the fear of the lord on the children.

Anyways, I suggest we move on to the topic.

Here's an interesting Beherit worship band from Finland.
Black Feast: Intro & Celebration of Death
http://youtu.be/ALO1OTzTucs

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I didn't realize this was a competition of who has it worse. Persecution comes in many forms, and if it's not as extreme as somewhere else it doesn't make it any less intolerable. Everyone judges things based on their own experiences.

As for your question; by force-feeding the doctrine to the infants, whether it's sanctioned by the parents or not. That applies especially to the northern parts of Finland, even today. In fact, a pre-school in my hometown recently refused to obey the law, and still insist on putting the fear of the lord on the children.

Anyways, I suggest we move on to the topic.

Here's an interesting Beherit worship band from Finland.
Black Feast: Intro & Celebration of Death
http://youtu.be/ALO1OTzTucs
It seems strange to me, though. Scandinavia has a very high atheism rate, and very very few people there attend church. If what you're saying is true, and there is some kind of persecution from "religious zealots" being forced upon your children, wouldn't the number of religious people there be higher? I understand that there may be an exception here and there, but that's to be expected. I've been to these countries (admittedly, not Finland), and I didn't see any signs of Christian oppression.

Melchiah

It seems strange to me, though. Scandinavia has a very high atheism rate, and very very few people there attend church. If what you're saying is true, and there is some kind of persecution from "religious zealots" being forced upon your children, wouldn't the number of religious people there be higher? I understand that there may be an exception here and there, but that's to be expected. I've been to these countries (admittedly, not Finland), and I didn't see any signs of Christian oppression.

The situation is different and better in the southern larger cities, but the smaller towns of the north, where the religion is more dominant, are still pretty old fashioned in that sense.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The situation is different and better in the southern larger cities, but the smaller towns of the north, where the religion is more dominant, are still pretty old fashioned in that sense.
Well, my aunt and cousins actually live in a small town in the north of Norway. In fact, I think they live about as north as it gets. I didn't see any oppression there, and according to them, no one there is religious. From my experience, I've found Scandinavia to be an amazing place to live, but I've found that the people tend to exaggerate things, but like you said, it's all subjective. Once again, though, I've only been to Sweden and Norway.

To me, black metal simply has a problem that seems to be common to a lot of metal, which is a lack of originality. I often think, are these bands pumping out this anti-Christian image because they genuinely feel oppressed by the religion, or is it simply because they view it as a genre of music, and are just copying another band? I think metal is great, but it seems like a lot of times (in many genres of it) a band will start a genre, set the prototype, and most bands after them will just copy them and their sound exactly. I love doom metal, but doom metal certainly has that problem. Everyday, multiple new bands pop up, and they all start to sound so alike that you can barely tell them apart. I just wish metal had a great incentive towards originality.

kSPrF.jpg

Sepultura: Max, Wagner & Igor.

Source: Black Metal Antiquarium

I read an interview where they used AA batteries disguised as bullets for their "bullet belts" in far away promo shots. Also not sure if this was ever confirmed true or not, but Paulo Jr. bass duties were never recorded because he absolutely didn't know how to play. He was just "there" looking like he played. Was this ever confirmed?

Vio-Lence

Banned
I read an interview where they used AA batteries disguised as bullets for their "bullet belts" in far away promo shots. Also not sure if this was ever confirmed true or not, but Paulo Jr. bass duties were never recorded because he absolutely didn't know how to play. He was just "there" looking like he played. Was this ever confirmed?

Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains are the best things to come out of third world Brazil except maybe Torture Squad - Pandemonium.

FACE

Banned

Fun fact: Wagner Lamounier is a teacher of economics in one of Brazil's best universities(UFMG).

Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains are the best things to come out of third world Brazil except maybe Torture Squad - Pandemonium.

You're god damned right.

Just started listening to Savatage for the first time. Don't know what took so long.

I love that there is always something new in the Metalverse.

I love a good handful of Savatage's work, but as you start going past Hall of the Mountain King chronologically, it starts sounding show tuney to me. I think it may just be me. I have a friend who is a huge 'Tage fan and he looked ready to kill when I told him that.

Still, Sirens and HotMK... Delicious.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Don't think it's been mentioned yet (apologies if so) and potentially no-one will care, but it seems David Draiman is producing Trivium's next album

http://www.metalinjection.net/shock...eds-david-draiman-producing-new-trivium-album

I'm not really what you'd call a fan of Trivium, but for me this is certainly not going to help matters.

Well they've been saying that the album has been written since the last one got released. Im not a fan either but i saw them play live and got to meet them after the show a long while ago. Cool dudes. Hope this isn't a case of them shooting themselves in the foot.

Spwn

So it's been 11 years since Babylon Whores' last album Death Of The West and 10 years since I bought the album and became a fan. Still optimistic that they'll return one day, although my brain tells me they won't. There were rumors of the writing process for a new album being in process in 2003, but then the band announced they're taking a hiatus. Took Death of the West and the preceding album King Fear with me from my childhood home when I visited there last Christmas. Still some of my favorite albums ever.

eEqnD.jpg

Lucibel (The Good Spirits of Europe)

6HS14.jpg

Errata Stigmata

Time for some excellent news for all of us Blind Guardian loyalists! There was a new interview with Hansi that came out two days ago (in German):

http://www.lesenlaufenlauschen.derwesten.de/2013/01/16/lauschen-hansi-kursch-im-interview/

Skimming through the fan translation, I find this:

"Hansi Kürsch: The orchestral music accompanies us now for 15 years. 17 years may it easily become, a publication is not in option before 2015. We still want to keep our four-year cycle in terms of studio albums and get a regular record."

Did I say excellent news?? Whoops!

:mad:

Time for some excellent news for all of us Blind Guardian loyalists! There was a new interview with Hansi that came out two days ago (in German):

http://www.lesenlaufenlauschen.derwesten.de/2013/01/16/lauschen-hansi-kursch-im-interview/

Skimming through the fan translation, I find this:

"Hansi Kürsch: The orchestral music accompanies us now for 15 years. 17 years may it easily become, a publication is not in option before 2015. We still want to keep our four-year cycle in terms of studio albums and get a regular record."

Did I say excellent news?? Whoops!

:mad:

So they arent touring and also arent releasing an album for 2+ years?

Wtf...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom