• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Since there is some interest lets do this formally, quote this post and nominate 2 bands for your MetalGaf's Favorite Metal Band.

After a week (or should it be shorter?) of nominations I'll put them together in a poll. We'll keep in in this thread so we don't get too many non MetalGaf votes.

Impossible for me to pick just two, but I will anyway:

Sleep
Sunn O)))

Metalmarc

2 fave metal bands? Bah!

Iron maiden and megadeth are my long time faves, and probally overall if i HAD to only choose 2

But strapping young lad and the devin townsend project are the ones most on my stereo/ ipod now the past 2 years and cannibal corpse too with six feet under

And then theres judas priest and the halford solo band
And bruce dickinsons solo band ( the aob and cw/tos era being the best)
And motorhead and sabbath mean soo much to me
King diamond, early metallica

That vote is nearly impossible

Metalmarc

Does anyone think Mustaine is going for a cryptic writings/risk direction on the new cd?

Having just heard super collider in full and the clip of don't turn your back, its definitely giving me the risk vibe

I don't mind risk it's a guilty pleasure of mine, but the album is not killing is my business as dave tried to say
Again though i'm basing it on 1 full song and a short clip

Guess i will have to wait and see, hope i'm wrong

Shame as end game seemed like it was heading down the right track, instead of staying that direction, it's almost like with 13 they are steering the Megadeth ship back towards the world needs a hero - back thru cryptic
radio friendly era again, dave just won't give up trying for the hit single, don't blame him, i just prefer my megadeth to be a state of the art thrash metal band

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
fuck this was harder than getting a date...anyways here are my two bands

Behemoth
Deftones

Nopren

Since there is some interest lets do this formally, quote this post and nominate 2 bands for your MetalGaf's Favorite Metal Band.

After a week (or should it be shorter?) of nominations I'll put them together in a poll. We'll keep in in this thread so we don't get too many non MetalGaf votes.

Pig Destroyer
Chimaira

Yeah, Sabbath needs a vote or at least a guaranteed spot in the poll or something.

Ooooh, I like that! Edit: Seriously, even an unstable Ozzy sounds "right" with those Iommi riffs in the background. This song just feels right and there are some mean parts in it! At least 4 great riffs! Especially to the end. That solo rips! I almost had tears in the eyes when that one part around 5:05 begins because it sound soooo classic Sabbath, including Ozzys singing (as good as anything from sabbath bloody sabbath era even).

Megadeth - Super Collider (title track)

All I can say is you will say "wow" and then "kill me now"

Edit: The song makes me wish I was Megadeaf

I don't see it? Is it renamed so it doesnt get pulled?

Edit:

Is this it? https://soundcloud.com/koraytastan/megadeth-super-collider

da fuq? I take back what I said a few pages back. This isn't better than 13. I really hope the rest of the album is better.

Why the fuck does his voice have so much auto tuning??

Where are his legendary riffs? At least usually his lyrics suck but the music is good. I mean the solo is okay but nothing special. More or less generic.

It feels like some crappy 80's/early 90's pop one hit wonder is trying to make a modern metal song.

I mean, the song is called Super Collider. There is so much potential awesome with the name along and the song is about, what, friendship and not being alone?!?!? I was expecting end of the work because mankind destroyed itself kind of themes.

Edit: The song makes me wish I was Megadeaf
lol yup.

Kaladin

expecting bands that peaked in the 80s to release good to great material in 2013 will always lead to disappointment.

Beyond_Magnetic_500.jpg

expecting bands that peaked in the 80s to release good to great material in 2013 will always lead to disappointment.

If you mean Sabbath, personally I believe they peaked around '74 or '75. Oh, Megadeth it is. I don't know, they didn't release much good stuff after 1992.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

With Broderick on guitar and mustaine sounding the same he always has there was no reason for it to suck. Especially since the last few Megadeth records werent bad.

Vio-Lence

Banned
If you mean Sabbath, personally I believe they peaked around '74 or '75. Oh, Megadeth it is. I don't know, they didn't release much good stuff after 1992.

Ya I was referring to Megadeth, but i think you can relate it to most bands. Bands are typically more prolific and record better material during the early hungry years and quality degrades over time.

I'd say Sabbath peaked around Sabotage, so I agree with your assessment.

RayStorm

Ya I was referring to Megadeth, but i think you can relate it to most bands. Bands are typically more prolific and record better material during the early hungry years and quality degrades over time.

I'd say Sabbath peaked around Sabotage, so I agree with your assessment.

While I prefer Dio and Martin led Black Sabbath by far, I'm not sure whether it's actually that bands get worse or it's just fonder memories of the Album you discovered a band with.

e.g. for me Sonata Arctica basically fell off a cliff after Ecliptica, which was their debut. I still liked some songs from Silence, but after that they pretty much might have stopped making new stuff for me. But I reckon, not just at night, that I with my overshining love for Ecliptica am fairly alone. My rational for liking Ecliptica that much more than any Successor (Successor included) is that they were playing with so much more joy and didn't overproduce the hell out of their songs. Which is basically what you were saying, but then again I feel like few people share my sentiments in that regard which leads me to believe that due to me discovering SA in 1999 this is what makes me like Ecliptica that much.

I have much of the same feelings for other bands that I discovered by first listening to one album.

Also back to your point as an old fan you may not be a fan of a band changing their style or them pretty much staying exactly the same album after album thus a perceived degradation in quality.

I quite enjoy the later Sonata Arctica albums. Stones Grow her Name is really fucking stupid in parts and definitely reeks of influences the label might have. Ensiferum's latest album and the SA one both have this weird interlude at some point where there is some kind of salloon/bar atmosphere. Folk elements were never really part of the SA style but that's totally a thing that is popular in metal now so here is a banjo. Tis odd.

Having said that, I am always blown away by the sheer talent in that band. Henkka and Elias is such a godly combo. Couldn't imagine what the band would be like if Jani was still about. Unia and the Days of Grays were both really amazing albums, looking back. The speed/power metal thing they had going in their first few albums was awesome but it felt to me like the content they produced was maturing as time went on. I can't listen to old Stratovarius stuff. I just can't. There's this level of cheese that just doesn't age well. Same goes for SA in my book.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
I quite enjoy the later Sonata Arctica albums. Stones Grow her Name is really fucking stupid in parts and definitely reeks of influences the label might have. Ensiferum's latest album and the SA one both have this weird interlude at some point where there is some kind of salloon/bar atmosphere. Folk elements were never really part of the SA style but that's totally a thing that is popular in metal now so here is a banjo. Tis odd.

Having said that, I am always blown away by the sheer talent in that band. Henkka and Elias is such a godly combo. Couldn't imagine what the band would be like if Jani was still about. Unia and the Days of Grays were both really amazing albums, looking back. The speed/power metal thing they had going in their first few albums was awesome but it felt to me like the content they produced was maturing as time went on. I can't listen to old Stratovarius stuff. I just can't. There's this level of cheese that just doesn't age well. Same goes for SA in my book.

Aye, but as for Sonata Arctica, I still keep saying and holding that "Winterheart's Guild" is their best album, to me at least, Ecliptica is too Stratovarius influenced, Silence is better, Unia was the most amazing album in the sense of matureness in the band, Jani is great in there but definitely the "Stratovarius Influence" ended when Jani quit. Then The Days of Grays was fantastic, but having heard Nightwish "Dark Passion Play" is ridiculous to see how alike these two albums are in terms of how they were written. I understand that Tony and Tuomas Holopainen are great friends, but that was pretty stupid for me. However the sound was class; Stones Grow Her Name, didn't disappoint me but I wasn't blown away either, I loved songs like Alone in Heaven or The Day. The Wildfires were good, but not my favourites. I think that indeed Nuclear Blast is becoming more mainstream day by day, and in part I understand it with the awful lot of competition they have, and they don't want see their own end like Roadrunner Records did; but yeah, sometimes is too much.

Ensiferum are kinda of the same story but not as bad, they are just weird. This album was written almost entirely by Petri, which is ok but I prefer a thousand times Sami and Markus writing the songs. I think they were very ambitious with this album, they wanted something bigger than From Afar, but they didn't make it, for my taste at least. From Afar is fantastic from the beginning to the end, and Unsung Heroes tries to get there but it never does. I hope they keep in mind that music needs to be humble to be great.

FYC

Banned
So Volbeats new album has me going back and listening to their first albums that I was never able to get into. Suddenly I really dig these guys!

Also, if there is ever a Baywatch remake Super Collider should be the theme song.

I have an itch for some depressing/bittersweet, atmospheric black metal-kind of stuff right now.

Amesoeurs - "Gas in Veins"
Aves - "Feathers V: Clouds"
Soliness - "Skygaze"
Liam - "When Hills Call Back"
Svafnir - "Death of the Sun"

need more dudes

It's good I listened to your, cause I had quite a different idea of the kind of music when I read the first line. I'm not sure whether you are looking for something like Abyssic Hate. Anyway, here are my suggestions.

Lifelover is great, black metal mixed with post-punk. Nice contradiction of 'happy' melodies and a unpleasant atmosphere. The first three albums are recommended, stay away from Sjukdom.

Some songs:
http://youtu.be/I-m4oSPBDTE
http://youtu.be/tPKd8GEfTPI
http://youtu.be/pcxUolK2uGk (NSFW for the bloody naked chick)

ColdWorld - Melancholie2
http://youtu.be/m9bdbLWZlqg

Negura Bunget's OM http://youtu.be/rGc_NszVq_4

Everything connected to Neige probably :p Les Discrets, Lantlos.

While a lot heavier, I feel Cult of Luna´s Somewhere Along the Highways is very appropriate http://youtu.be/sPhl1vGRyXQ <3

Some non-metal recs:
Anathema: http://youtu.be4ijHuNpOPCs & http://youtu.be/C4x1Mq-NFFc
Antimatter: http://youtu.be/C55VW_o1V3U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom