• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaspode_T

I just tried to think of the bands that have gotten me through tough times over the last 10 years and those were the two that jumped to top of mind. Helped me more than I helped them sort of situation. I love Mastodon but I got kind of sick of listening to their CDs, same for many thrash bands I basically drive the CDs into the ground and get sick of them to the point I would prefer to put some space in between the time I see them live and hopefully the music would sound fresh then...like Metallica, I basically never listen to for the past 10 years...they are a live-only band for me now. But I literally will listen to Opeth to lift my mood sometimes or Lamb of God to relieve stress at work...so there you have it.

Since there is some interest lets do this formally, quote this post and nominate 2 bands for your MetalGaf's Favorite Metal Band.

After a week (or should it be shorter?) of nominations I'll put them together in a poll. We'll keep in in this thread so we don't get too many non MetalGaf votes.

Shit; this is hard. I'm just going take my top two from my most played on iTunes:

Testament
Metallica

But I need to give some honorable mentions to other bands I fucking love:

Helloween
Blind Guardian
Maiden
Ronnie James Dio(and any band Dio was ever in)
Iced Earth

Zozobra

Since there is some interest lets do this formally, quote this post and nominate 2 bands for your MetalGaf's Favorite Metal Band.

After a week (or should it be shorter?) of nominations I'll put them together in a poll. We'll keep in in this thread so we don't get too many non MetalGaf votes.

It's tough to pick just two bands as my tastes/mood is ever evolving and changing. If using the amount of times I've listened to a band/album as the criteria, I'd probably have to say:

Enslaved
Opeth

Aske

Two bands? First choice was easy, second was extremely difficult.

Graveland
Deicide

This is a good idea. Interesting to see various different tastes distilled to a pair of favourites.

fallout

It's pretty impossible for me to pick two bands. I shift around my listening habits way too much. That said, there's one band that I really love that I haven't seen mentioned:

Agalloch

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
It's pretty impossible for me to pick two bands. I shift around my listening habits way too much. That said, there's one band that I really love that I haven't seen mentioned:

Agalloch

pfffft...they've been mentioned more than Sleep at one time.

FYC

Banned
Yes.

Yes you are.

TTaemtt.png

A CITY OF SOULS DYING FOR PEACE

WELCOME TO THE BELLY OF THE BEAST

also their cover of milk is fuckin awesome

Enosh

2 bands sheeeeet

well if I really have to narrow it down that much
-Moonspell
-Amon Amarth

I just think those 2 are pretty consistent with releasing albums I like, the other bands on my favorites list are more up and down
I guess Sin and butterfly effect were kinda "eh"

sgjackson

-Death
-Mastodon

high on fire
cult of luna

Hesemonni

Banned

- Death
- Dark Tranquillity

obin_gam

So I took a long shot and got Halestorms latest album. Before I have dismissed them as some teenage pop that pretends to be metal, I have no idea why I thought that since some of these songs are fucking awesome!

maxxpower

Cobalt
Dark Lunacy

Kaladin

The list so far:

Neurosis
Autopsy
Sentenced
Deathspell Omega
Manowar
Blind Guardian
Electric Wizard
Bathory
SunnO)))
Death
Cynic
Metallica
Pantera
Isis
Trenches
Mastodon
Carcass
Darkthrone
Down
Testament
High On Fire
Cathedral
Stratovarius
Falconer
Iron Maiden
Immolation
Megadeth
Devin Townsend
My Dying Bride
Judas Priest
Gamma Ray
Maudlin of the Well
Converge
Opeth
Emperor
Running Wild
Anthrax
Morbid Angel
Empyrium
Between The Buried and Me
Kamelot
Amon Amarth
Insomnium
Soilwork
Rob Zombie
Watain
Sonata Arctica
Ensiferum
Mercyful Fate
Skyclad
Lamb of God
Enslaved
Graveland
Deicide
Agalloch
Moonspell
Death
High On Fire
Cult Of Luna
Dark Tranquillity
Wintersun
SepticFlesh
Sabaton
Kamelot
Pagan's Mind
Skeletonwitch
Cobalt
Dark Lunacy

Keep those nominations coming, if I missed any bands let me know. I think we'll close the nominations on Wednesday and I'll open it up to votes.

I'm still debating if we should make the voting part a new thread....we're already getting a ton of participation, and bringing votes from outside would make it a bit more interesting.

Blue Calx

Acid Bath
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats

A) Linkin Park isn't metal, and B) nominations will be limited to this thread.
ah, OK, didn't understand , I thought we were voting already sorry.

Although I still think that people will not care about the nominations and still vote for things like linkin park which their fans definitely see it as metal music.

RDreamer

I'll nominate Rammstein and In Flames, since they're not on the list yet.

My actual 2 favorite metal "bands" would probably be Opeth and Devin Townsend.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Derp, I'm stupid. I should have totally nominated Summoning. Can we add them to the list, please? Honestly one of the best metal bands out there. If not, then replace Skyclad (no one would vote for them anyway ;_;) with them.

New album teaser sounds promising (though the voice-over naming the songs is a bit goofy and annoying):

http://youtu.be/G9XTxXEcqLU

Samples (click " Play all Riproduci tutti gli estratti" to play them all):

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00CEPK7L6/

One of the few upcoming albums I'm actually genuinely excited for. That and the new Cauchemar, of course.

I think you'd sooner see a band like Maiden take it than Opeth or Mastodon.

Yeah I'd bet on Maiden over the other two. I can only imagine the shitstorm when people'll notice they cant vote for Black Sabbath ;) yes, somehow Sabbath hasn't appeared in the nominations yet.
But how we want to do the voting is a good question. I'd be nice to have a poll that represents Metal GAF, so making a new thread in OT won't do. It would be fun to do both though, Metal Gafs favourite metal band and Gafs fav metal band.
Do you have any idea how you want to do the voting Sandman?

And trying to pick just two bands for the nominations was quite difficult. I knew I'd pick Opeth, but for the second I had to choose between Emperor, Immortal and Deathspell Omega. Its been a while since I've listened to my favourites though.

Kaladin

Yeah I'd bet on Maiden over the other two. I can only imagine the shitstorm when people'll notice they cant vote for Black Sabbath ;) yes, somehow Sabbath hasn't appeared in the nominations yet.
But how we want to do the voting is a good question. I'd be nice to have a poll that represents Metal GAF, so making a new thread in OT won't do. It would be fun to do both though, Metal Gafs favourite metal band and Gafs fav metal band.
Do you have any idea how you want to do the voting Sandman?

I was just going to open it to one band per person and see what comes out. It's a long list of nominations and only a few bands will probably stand out, but thats ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom