• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackheim

Argh, can't choose only 2, or even if it were 5-10. I love a lot of bands and depending upon my mood on a given day my favorite bands could be anything!

Kaladin

Since there is some interest lets do this formally, quote this post and nominate 2 bands for your MetalGaf's Favorite Metal Band.

After a week (or should it be shorter?) of nominations I'll put them together in a poll. We'll keep in in this thread so we don't get too many non MetalGaf votes.

My contributions:

Metallica (come at me bros)
Pantera

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Since there is some interest lets do this formally, quote this post and nominate 2 bands for your MetalGaf's Favorite Metal Band.

After a week (or should it be shorter?) of nominations I'll put them together in a poll. We'll keep in in this thread so we don't get too many non MetalGaf votes.

ISIS
Trenches

Kaladin

FYI, nominations do not equal votes, feel free to pick a band that has been picked before, but know nominations only count once (should help people who have trouble narrowing it down to two).

Also, should we make the thread for voting it's own thread?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Pantera for my old school pick
Mastodon for my new school

Melchiah

Hard to say. I'm not really passionate about any band these days, and during the years most of the old favorites have changed too much for my taste. So, based on their early albums, and how much they meant to me back then...

Carcass
Darkthrone

If I'd have to say two bands based on their current material, I guess Funeral Mist and perhaps Mgla, I dunno.

So guys, has the basic premise of dudes playing and whipping their hair ever looked as hypnotic as this?

Heh, our guitarist is in the video.
EDIT: Bassist, dammit. Can't remember which bald guy plays which instrument.

. Down
. Testament

Why only 2? ;_; I don't (but on the other hand do) want to include Black Sabbath because they are kinda above the competition for me. Like a guaranteed number 1.

So...my two favourite metal bands are:

High on Fire
Cathedral

FYI, nominations do not equal votes, feel free to pick a band that has been picked before, but know nominations only count once (should help people who have trouble narrowing it down to two).

Also, should we make the thread for voting it's own thread?
Yes. But I think Mastodon and Pantera will win at the end.

- Stratovarius
- Falconer

Melchiah

Purely out of curiosity: what are your thoughts on Maranatha?

I liked the Devilry mini the most (Bringer of Terror is one my favorite modern BM songs), and it's a tie between Salvation and Maranatha. Although I prefer the latter's slower parts, which were seldom in Salvation.

P.S. Here's a rather amusing anecdote, the screaming sample in Devilry's intro is taken from the beginning of Jaws.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?

Devin Townsend

I don't have a 2, but he's definitely my favorite. Not a band per se, but he should count right?

I liked the Devilry mini the most (Bringer of Terror is one my favorite modern BM songs), and it's a tie between Salvation and Maranatha. Although I prefer the latter's slower parts, which were seldom in Salvation.

P.S. Here's a rather amusing anecdote, the screaming sample in Devilry's intro is taken from the beginning of Jaws.

Hahaha, I always had a hunch that Arioch was a movie buff that little tidbit certainly came out of the left field. Awesome :D If my memory serves me correct, the intro to The God Supreme is from a wonderful piece of 80's trash called Superstition.

Last year I had sort of an epiphany with Salvation, when it suddenly occured to me, what a kickass opening to an album the tracks Agnus Dei and Breathing Wounds form. My personal highlights from that record are those two combined with the equally good Across The Qlipoth. But when it comes to slower parts in Salvation and Maranatha, the closing track of the latter, Anti-Flesh Nimbus, takes the cake. There's something really majestic about that song and the sample used in the chorus is sublime.

choodi

Banned

Iron Maiden
My Dying Bride

RayStorm

Judas Priest
Gamma Ray

And just as inspiration for someone else:
Axel Rudi Pell
Queensryche

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

maudlin of the Well
Converge

blahness

new Autopsy album on June 24th

vtOYDD2.jpg

Autopsy (Official)
June 24th (July 2nd US) marks the return of Autopsy, the US masters of brutality, with their sixth studio opus of horror and all-out madness, titled ‘The Headless Ritual’, on Peaceville Records. Featuring the returning quartet of Chris Reifert, Eric Cutler, Danny Coralles, and Joe Trevisano, ‘The Headless Ritual’ is a relentless monster of violent and brutal death metal mastery delivered in the unmistakable Autopsy style of chaotic riffing, insane solos and doom-filled interludes, all served with the band’s unhinged brand of vocal sickness. The album was recorded and mixed April 2013 at Fantasy Studios in California with Adam Munoz, and features cover artwork by renowned artist Joe Petagno (Motörhead, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin).

As the band comments:
“Expect nothing less than the monstrous brutality that Autopsy has been known to offer. Laurels will not be rested upon, trends will not be followed and mercy will not be shown. Mark your calendars for June and pick out a coffin to lie down and die in. Darkness and death await.....”
The tracklisting for ‘The Headless Ritual’ is as follows:

01. SLAUGHTER AT BEAST HOUSE
02. MANGLED FAR BELOW
03. SHE IS A FUNERAL
04. COFFIN CRAWLERS
05. WHEN HAMMER MEETS BONE
06. THORNS AND ASHES
07. ARCH CADAVER
08. FLESH TURNS TO DUST
09. RUNNING FROM THE GOATHEAD
10. THE HEADLESS RITUAL

Among the early breed of US death metal pioneers, Autopsy formed in 1987 in the San Francisco bay area and released four albums on Peaceville Records. Beginning with the classic debut ‘Severed Survival’ in 1989, they disbanded in 1995 with members going on to form Abscess. Autopsy triumphantly and officially returned from the grave after a 15 year hiatus with the 2010 EP, ‘The Tomb Within’, followed by the release of the band’s widely acclaimed fifth studio album, ‘Macabre Eternal’ in 2011.

Melchiah

Hahaha, I always had a hunch that Arioch was a movie buff that little tidbit certainly came out of the left field. Awesome :D If my memory serves me correct, the intro to The God Supreme is from a wonderful piece of 80's trash called Superstition.

Last year I had sort of an epiphany with Salvation, when it suddenly occured to me, what a kickass opening to an album the tracks Agnus Dei and Breathing Wounds form. My personal highlights from that record are those two combined with the equally good Across The Qlipoth. But when it comes to slower parts in Salvation and Maranatha, the closing track of the latter, Anti-Flesh Nimbus, takes the cake. There's something really majestic about that song and the sample used in the chorus is sublime.

We actually used a shorter version of the same Superstition sample on our 2000 album, without knowing they had used it as well. The Devilry MCD was pretty hard to find at the time, I guess because the label and its owner had some problems with the law. I can't remember what exactly though.

A friend of mine told me, that there's a Ghost in the Shell sample in Maranatha's Living Temples. Seems like many of us BM people are nerds deep inside. ;)

The beginning of Across the Qliphoth is one of my personal highlights of the album, together with the final disharmonic outro. I also liked Anti-Flesh Nimbus on Maranatha, and the title track. To my surprise my girlfriend liked it as well, especially the ending of the track, where he repeats the same sentence over and over again. She usually doesn't listen to BM, apart from Khold and some others.

Blind Guardian
Iron Maiden

P44

Blind Guardian
Opeth

Opeth
Emperor

Judas Priest
Running Wild

FYC

Banned

Anthrax
Morbid Angel

i'm weird

ElPistolero

Neo Member

Empyrium
Iron Maiden

TheExodu5

Banned

Opeth
Between The Buried And Me

Outlaw

Banned

Kamelot
Amon Amarth

rObit

Banned

Insomnium
Soilwork

Sonata Arctica
Ensiferum

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Only two? Meh.

Mercyful Fate
Skyclad

Gaspode_T

Opeth
Lamb of God

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom