• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

i couldnt tweak my fantasy teams today and it ended up being a good thing. i missed out on a great schmidt start but thankfully didnt start burnett or prior.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
You seriously think they'll be worse than Pittsburgh of Milwaukee?

Astros
Cardinals
Cubs
Reds
Brewers
Pirates

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
8-17 Reds losing to the As.... How many runs did they give up during this series?

EDIT: 40 runs in a 3 game series... record?

Thaedolus

WOO WOO WOO! LET'S GO OAKLAND!

MIGUEL TEWHODA?

JASON GIWHOMBI?

Kotsay, Hatteberg, Byrnes, Dye, Scutaro, Durazo AND CROSBY YOUR AL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR OH MY!

Joe

the latest yankees rumor has the marlins dealing for beltran, then the yanks trading contreras to the marlins for beltran with the yanks paying most of contreras' contract.

the yanks might not even trade for beltran, last thing they need is another bat.

Fifty

The fat cuban for Beltran? Even if it is all about money a AAA pitcher is not worth a top 5 player. Ugh.

Joe

id like to remind you of the jeff weaver for kevin brown deal (and of course you all laughed at me when i posted that rumor).

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fifty,not a Stankee hater ? :(

Joe

honestly, i'd rather see the contreras for garcia deal go through.

it'll almost be like going full circle: the yankees swoop in to steal contreras from the red sox. then the yankees trade their best pitching prospect to the reds for aaron boone just so the red sox dont get freddy garcia. then boone goes on to hit that infamous homerun and completely deflates red sox nation. aaron boone gets injured which causes the yanks to get the red sox #1 priority....alex rodriguez. contreras is now stinking it up and the yanks would definitely trade him and to trade him for freddy garcia (who the red sox still want) would be...well that would be funny as hell.

hahaha

Joe

What do Trot Nixon and Michael Jackson have in common?
They both wear a glove for absolutey no reason.

Two boys are playing hockey on a pond in Central Park when one is attacked by a rabid Rottweiler. Thinking quickly, the other boy takes his stick, wedges it down the dog's collar and twists, breaking the dog's neck. A reporter who was strolling by sees the incident, and rushes over to interview the boy. "Young Rangers Fan Saves Friend from Vicious Animal," he starts writing in his notebook. "But I'm not a Rangers fan," the little hero replied. "Sorry, since we are in New York, I just assumed you were," said the reporter. "Yankees Fan Rescues Friend From Horrific Attack" he continued writing in his notebook. "I'm not a Yankees fan either," the boy said. "I assumed everyone in New York was either for the Rangers or Yankees. What team do you root for?" the reporter asked. "I'm a Red Sox fan," the child replied. The reporter starts a new sheet in his notebook and writes, "Little Bastard from Boston kills Beloved Family Pet."

What do Don Zimmer and Grady Little have in common?
Neither one could take out Pedro

Top Ten Perks of Winning The Westminister Dog Show
Fun to Call the Red Sox and Ask "Have You Ever Won Anything?"
-David Letterman Show (Perk #3)

20 Major Events Since The Red Sox last Championship:
1. Radio was invented.
2. TV was invented.
3. Baseball added 14 teams.
4. George Burns celebrated his 20th,30th,40th,50th,60th,70th,80th,90th, and 100th birthdays.
5. Haley's Comet passed Earth...TWICE.
6.Babe Ruth was sold. He went on to win 4 championships with the Yankees.
7.The NBA and NHL were formed, and Boston won championships in both leagues.
8. Man landed on the moon.
9. Fifteen U.S. Presidents were elected.
10. There were 11 ammendments to the Constitution.
11. Prohibition was created and repealed.
12. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, and was discovered and became the subject of a major movie.
13. Fenway Park was built and becomes the oldest park in the A.L.
14. Flagpoles were erected on the Fenway roof to hold all of the teams future world series pennants. The flagpoles have since rusted and been taken down.
15. A combination of 40 Summer and Winter Olympics have been held.
16. Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown.
17. Bell-bottoms came in style, went out of style, and came back in style. Disco did the same.
18. The Cleveland Indians, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Florida Marlins have all WON the world series.
19. Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, and New Mexico were admitted to the union.
20. Bill Buckner (and Aaron Boone).

yes i know these are lame.

“We’ve been playing these guys for 80 years...they can’t beat us.” - Yogi Berra

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Good god, I hope the M's don't trade Garcia for Contreras. They need a power hitter, not another pitcher.

Joe

nomar's agent is probably just doing what every other agent does...mention the yankees. just like maddux's agents did. the yankees had no interest in him but it did drive up his price and i think he got another guaranteed year.

Joe

no you're not mistaken. he had tests taken yesterday we should find out whats wrong today.

and the mariners had a scout at yesterdays yankee game checking out contreras...freddy garcia here we come!

How has the Reds pitching finally shown it's true form? Aside from Paul Wilson they've been as expected and now even worse that the A's set a record for runs in a 3 game series. And they're still in first.

Granted they won't finish in first without picking up another starter and hoping Claussen or someone in AAA can get it going but they are hardly the terrible team that finished the season last year with the entire outfield injured and entire bullpen traded away.

Evenball

If the M's make such a trade I shall contemplate going down to The Safe and killing Bill Bavasi and Howard Lincoln (then grab some Krispy Kreme's across the street). they need to trade for some hitting and only for hitting. 29 straight innings without a run, the M's haven't scored a run since monday... :(

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Hoffman is great.
I didn't think Lofton was even capable of hitting Homeruns anymore, but Hoffman proved me wrong.
Now Vazquez can't get the loss, he is going ot be incredible for years to come.

Lathentar said:
Prior v. Clemens tomorrow. Potential for game of the Year.

In what world? Prior isn't fit to pitch in Double-A right now, much less the big leagues. They're rushing him, and it's going to cost them.

Mashing

Lidge is so dominant...

The key to beating the Astros... DON'T load the bases...

That's like the 4th time on this road trip that teams have done that and failed to score each time.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
HOW THE HELL DID THE YANKEES WIN!?

SAN DIEGO 12TH
-B Prinz relieved P Quantrill.
-Top of the 12th inning
-R Hernandez singled to center.
-T Long grounded into fielder's choice to shortstop, R Hernandez out at second.
-K Greene singled to shallow left, T Long to second.
-S Burroughs walked, T Long to third, K Greene to second.
-M Loretta hit sacrifice fly to left, T Long scored.
-F Heredia relieved B Prinz.
-B Giles singled to right, K Greene scored, S Burroughs to second, S Burroughs scored, B Giles to third on error by right fielder G Sheffield.
-X Nady hit for K Robinson.
-X Nady lined out to second.

3 runs, 3 hits, 1 error
San Diego 5, NY Yankees 2

NY YANKEES 12TH
-R Beck relieved S Linebrink.
-Bottom of the 12th inning
-B Williams walked.
-D Jeter doubled to deep right, B Williams to third.
-A Rodriguez grounded out to third, B Williams scored.
-G Sheffield singled to shallow center, D Jeter to third.
-J Giambi singled to center, D Jeter scored, G Sheffield to third.
-J Witasick relieved R Beck.
-J Posada hit a ground rule double to right, G Sheffield scored, J Giambi to third.
-H Matsui intentionally walked.
-R Sierra hit for E Wilson.
-R Sierra hit sacrifice fly to center, J Giambi scored.

4 runs, 4 hits, 0 errors
San Diego 5, NY Yankees 6

Joe

what a great game today. the comeback kids did it again today...TWICE!

bottom 9th, 2 outs and trevor hoffman is on the mound. the yanks hit back-to-back jacks to tie it up. then the top of the 12th the padres score 3 runs to make it 5-2 and the yanks rally in the bottom half to win 6-5. wow, just wow.

Mrbob

WHELP IT LOOKS LIKE THAT IS IT FOR THE REDS.

Houston, the Cincinniati Reds have come back to earth. Copy that.

Mrbob said:
WHELP IT LOOKS LIKE THAT IS IT FOR THE REDS.

Houston, the Cincinniati Reds have come back to earth. Copy that.

It's ridiculous how interleague play can determine the outcome in your division. So pathetic. This isn't baseball, this is marketing 101.

Mrbob

HalfPastNoon said:
It's ridiculous how interleague play can determine the outcome in your division. So pathetic. This isn't baseball, this is marketing 101.

Are you joking? Because the way baseball is structured now it focuses more on playing teams in your division!

ERROR BY VLAD CUBS UP 3-1 THANK YOU!

Mrbob said:
Are you joking? Because the way baseball is structured now it focuses more on playing teams in your division!

ERROR BY VLAD CUBS UP 3-1 THANK YOU!

And? The losses by the Reds duing interleague play have cost them valuable games in the divisions. I'd rather those games be played against the NL, or more games vs the division.

Mrbob

My point is it is weak to blame interleague play for the Reds downfall. It is inevitable. Only a matter of time before their pourous pitching came back to earth.

Mrbob said:
My point is it is weak to blame interleague play for the Reds downfall. It is inevitable. Only a matter of time before their pourous pitching came back to earth.

Call me when the Cubs pass the Reds. Can't wait to see Prior trot out to the mound tomorrow only to allow 6 ERS and 5 walks in about 4 innings again. Bakers is going to ruin him.

Cubsfan23

Banned
HalfPastNoon said:
And? The losses by the Reds duing interleague play have cost them valuable games in the divisions. I'd rather those games be played against the NL, or more games vs the division.

And the other teams in the division will play the A's too. Boo hoo. No way Prior has a bad start tomorrow

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
C Lee's hitting streak up to 27. How long can he go...
Sox have scored 10+ in four of their last 5, and have homered in 15 straight home games. And they have 12 games this year where they've scored 10+, leading the majors.

Evenball

What the...? M's swept a series! The pitching staff has only given up 5 runs total in the last 6 games. Maybe one day they'll be back up to .500

I'm so glad they started changing the team. Plus, playing Montreal doesn't hurt either. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom