• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition |OT|

jedimike

wouwie said:
The new graphics are nice but what amazes me the most is how good the original graphics still look. I'm constantly switching between classic and new and find myself playing in classic more and more.

Other than that, bring on more conversions. I'd love to see those indiana jones games converted.

I certainly appreciate the original graphics. They were amazing for their time, but no way in hell am I playing in classic mode today... at least not on my hdtv. It is a jaggified mess. I imagine most of us played the original on a 15" CRT which is about the max size you'd want to use for the classic graphics.

Besides, I think the remake artists did a marvelous job. The style, colors and attention to detail are top notch.

...and yes, Indy remakes would be great. I liked Maniac Mansion and DotT, but the Indy games really sucked me in.

I hope Sierra (Activision) sees the profitability of these remakes and brings the Quest games over.

Just picked this up on the PS3, I need to finish the first one first though. It's like the only series that I don't want to jump online and find a guide to- even if I've been stuck for ages. :lol

absolutely excellent job on this remake. I'm just blown away. :0

I wish Sierra games would get this treatment... but yeah... doesn't Vivendi own most of their properties these days? They won't do shit- and it's probably for the best *looks at newest Leisure Suit Larry game*

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
TheJollyCorner said:
absolutely excellent job on this remake. I'm just blown away. :0

I wish Sierra games would get this treatment... but yeah... doesn't Vivendi own most of their properties these days? They won't do shit- and it's probably for the best *looks at newest Leisure Suit Larry game*

If you want more King's Quest, there's The Silver Lining. It seems like it's pretty good from what I've played so far, and quite faithful too (it is a fan game after all).

RetroMG

Slightly OT, but after finishing MI2 for the first time, I moved on the Curse of Monkey Island, and HOLY CRAP THIS IS DIFFERENT.

protonion

Mind blown!

I played the game 15 years ago and replayed it countless times.
And now thanks to the commentary I finally understood that
in order to win the spitting contest you have to look at the woman's clothes and time your spit with the wind!!!! Until now I thought I have to select the dialogue options in a certain order. Every time I played the game I got stuck there thinking I forgot the order until I did it by luck!

Gui_PT

protonion said:
Mind blown!

I played the game 15 years ago and replayed it countless times.
And now thanks to the commentary I finally understood that
in order to win the spitting contest you have to look at the woman's clothes and time your spit with the wind!!!! Until now I thought I have to select the dialogue options in a certain order. Every time I played the game I got stuck there thinking I forgot the order until I did it by luck!

The order of the dialogue is also important

Saerk

Gui_PT said:
The order of the dialogue is also important

Seriously? Cause, I beat that part by
just selecting the spit option after drinking the green drink. I also moved the flags closer of course.

RetroMG

FTWer said:

Youtube it, and see it for yourself. It's like watching an animated movie. It's not entirely accurate, but the thought that keeps coming to my mind is if Don Bluth directed a Monkey Island movie, it'd probably look like Curse. I kept reading that it would be really difficult to remake Curse, and now I understand why.

RetroGamer42 said:
Youtube it, and see it for yourself. It's like watching an animated movie. It's not entirely accurate, but the thought that keeps coming to my mind is if Don Bluth directed a Monkey Island movie, it'd probably look like Curse. I kept reading that it would be really difficult to remake Curse, and now I understand why.

mibloodislandhotel_2.jpg

It's a gorgeous game, one thing that could be done know is the removal of space limitations, higher resolution animation and no more compression artifacts. I wonder if Lucas still has the original art used to make the game. I say do an HD version, but not a remake, if you catch my drift.

Gui_PT

Btw, I really want to play The Curse of Monkey Island now.

I have the original for PC but can't install it because of Windows 7. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Minsc

Gold Member
Gui_PT said:

I have the original for PC but can't install it because of Windows 7. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Enjoy!

I agree with their advice though... once you have the files copied to your HDD, use SCUMMVM to play it instead.

Zodzilla

Gui_PT said:

head to
www.scummvm.org

and download away! Seriously the best thing to ever happen to adventure gaming ever.

Also does anyone know if MI2 will ever get ported to mac? Has there been any word of that?

Gui_PT

Thank you very much guys! :D

I've had Scumm for a long time but I didn't know I could play a game I have on a CD without installing it.

Really forgot how much I love the Monkey Island games. This is my first time playing MI2, though. I really hope they put Curse of Monkey Island on steam. I'll wait a little longer for an announcement, but I might just end up grabbing it off of Amazon instead.

wouwie said:
The new graphics are nice but what amazes me the most is how good the original graphics still look. I'm constantly switching between classic and new and find myself playing in classic more and more.

I feel the same here, I actually thought the new art was more off putting when playing it than judging from screens/trailers. It isn't bad necessary but the original was a beautiful game and I played that game 8 years after its release. However I am not laughing as much as I used to :'(-

I was very disapointed by how they handled the song with the "parents", was really looking forward to it. I understandable what they were trying to achieve, parents singing out of tune, but it was terrible at best here. What do others think of it?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
storafötter said:
I was very disapointed by how they handled the song with the "parents", was really looking forward to it. I understandable what they were trying to achieve, parents singing out of tune, but it was terrible at best here. What do others think of it?

Thought the same :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHgRlsOvN3M

Nekofrog

Banned
Having a chat with a friend of mine regarding the whole imuse/audio issues, and he says that for the PC it's working fine, but for the 360 someone fucked up a few lines of code and pretty much broke it right before launch, and didn't fix it.

He wants to kick the programmer in the balls.

Gui_PT

Nekofrog said:
Having a chat with a friend of mine regarding the whole imuse/audio issues, and he says that for the PC it's working fine, but for the 360 someone fucked up a few lines of code and pretty much broke it right before launch, and didn't fix it.

He wants to kick the programmer in the balls.

Someone (as posted here) said there's a file missing. If you get the file, everything will work fine.

Nekofrog

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Someone (as posted here) said there's a file missing. If you get the file, everything will work fine.

Ah, you're right. Misread what he said.

Conversation edited out under advisement.

Zodzilla said:
Seriously the best thing to ever happen to adventure gaming ever.

seriously

i know this is "sacrilege" but smoothing adventure games out using super2xsai makes them look like cartoons, it's awesome

and curse of monkey island is truly the best looking game EVER

what's the consensus on tales from monkey island?

RetroMG

Big love for Tales from Monkey Island. I'm enjoying Curse, (Wife is playing as we speak. We're using ScummVM on the Wii.) but I'm not sure I love the art style.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finished on Xbox. Game was great, but had a few sound errors/glitches(lock-ups and repeating bytes that required a hard reset to remove). I also had one case of a total crash late in the game, but all in all it was great to revisit.

Really itching to dig up my copy of Curse now to replay, and in the meantime I am pushing through Tales(currently starting Episode 3) which I am also surprised at how enjoyable and funny they are(particularly episode 2 which I found to be a HUGE improvement over the first episode). Hope it maintains through the end.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sectus, can you check your recording of PS3 version in the youtube video? Because if it's correct, it definitely plays mono sound (same through both channels). Looks like Iphone version is the same actually. I cannot check the PS3 version now, and even when I can, I cannot plug the headphones to it to make sure. It's hard to tell otherwise as the game doesn't really have any positional audio (and it outputs just on L/R channel in every version - no surround). What audio cable was your console attached to whatever you used to record?

MrSerrels

Sorry, but I can't be bothered trailing through this thread to see if this has been said before but…

Some of the voice acting is utter shit.

Kate Capsize
Largo
Stan
Elaine Marley

… are all absolutely terrible.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hmmm... Is there any other way to play Monkey Island 4? I got a Mac (OSX, latest) with Windows 7 in it.

Sectus

MrSerrels said:
Sorry, but I can't be bothered trailing through this thread to see if this has been said before but…

Kate Capsize
Largo
Stan
Elaine Marley

Crazy talk! Stan is one of the best voices in my opinion. His delivery of the lines when
he's trapped in the coffin
is perfect! I agree that Elaine is not good as the voice actor in MI3 or Tales, but it's still not bad. Largo and Kate sounded VEEERY differently than I had imagined when I played the game without speech, but I think they fit the characters.

In my opinion, I think MI2 remake might have the best voice acting of the entire series. I'm definitely sure it's Dominic's best work as Guybrush.

MrSerrels said:

Kate Capsize
Largo
Stan
Elaine Marley

Disagree on all examples

eLGee

Sectus said:
Crazy talk! Stan is one of the best voices in my opinion. His delivery of the lines when
he's trapped in the coffin
is perfect! I agree that Elaine is not good as the voice actor in MI3 or Tales, but it's still not bad. Largo and Kate sounded VEEERY differently than I had imagined when I played the game without speech, but I think they fit the characters.

In my opinion, I think MI2 remake might have the best voice acting of the entire series. I'm definitely sure it's Dominic's best work as Guybrush.

Psssst... Elaine is the same actress as in CMI and Tales. ;)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Finished this pretty quickly. Loved it.

Probably the most satisfying remake I've ever played... utterly faithful to the source graphics and music, leaving nothing out, updating it all to GORGEOUS.

I have my nitpicks: no opening credits, some of the redone music was so ambient as to completely lose the melody of the original (Booty Island, under Dinky Island)... some of the redone art lost the charm of the original (Voodo Lady, Zombie LeChuck)....

...but I'm REALLY nitpicking. It felt so good to finally play a remake that didn't piss me off.. a fan of the original. It's a success. This is one of the only ports/remakes that I can recommend to people who never played the original. I don't feel anything is really lost. It's worth it to have these games in modern HD.

I didn't play the first MI SE.. But I rushed out to play this one ASAP... I guess that shows how unconsciously I rank this game as one of the foundations of my gaming childhood. It's an important game to me. If the inevitable FFVI remake turns out half as good, then I can consider my childhood "not raped" in the transition to a modern form.

Sectus

eLGee said:
Psssst... Elaine is the same actress as in CMI and Tales. ;)
Really? Well, either my memory is off, or the same actor did a much better job in those games then :p

Edit: Does that mean MI1 is the only game with a different Elaine voice actor?

Edit 2: Mobygames to the rescue! She was the voice for all the Elaines except for Monkey 4 apparently. For some reason I thought she had changed actor several times.

MrSerrels

HadesGigas said:
Disagree on all examples

I guess it's subjective, but Kate Capsize. Her voice actress is just so dull and lifeless. I suppose it doesn't help that the game has her repeating the same lines over and over again.

Radogol

Sectus said:
Edit 2: Mobygames to the rescue! She was the voice for all the Elaines except for Monkey 4 apparently. For some reason I thought she had changed actor several times.

American Elaine was so much better that it isn't even funny. That is all.

MrSerrels said:
I guess it's subjective, but Kate Capsize. Her voice actress is just so dull and lifeless. I suppose it doesn't help that the game has her repeating the same lines over and over again.

You stand on a corner handing out flyers for hours on end when only one person ever walks by and you try not to sound dull and lifeless!

Thought her "pick up" responses were pretty well done.

ULTROS!

SalsaShark said:
No. Of course not.

NO

Nekofrog said:
NO. THERE WAS NOT.

What's with the MI4 hate? :lol

Anyway, I just replayed MI2 just recently (2 months ago), is it worth getting still? I'm kind of... Bleeding money.

Mr_Zombie

ULTROS! said:

It was bad.
The story is plain stupid (with an awful "twist" concerning a certain character) and the graphics (even back then, more so nowadays) are ugly, especially when you compare it to beautiful art of LeChuck's Revenge or CoMI. I don't remember much puzzles from the game (I only played it once), but I remember one particular "puzzle" - Monkey Combat. And I HATE it :|

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ULTROS! said:

Anyway, I just replayed MI2 just recently (2 months ago), is it worth getting still? I'm kind of... Bleeding money.
Hate? You can't hate something that doesn't exist ;)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Radogol said:
American Elaine was so much better that it isn't even funny. That is all.
MI4 Elaine was pretty great.

Mr_Zombie

ULTROS! said:

If you're talking about MI2:SE, I think you should wait a little bit. Last year, during "International Talk Like a Pirate Day" (September 19th) MI:SE was on 50% sale. So maybe MI2:SE will get such sale too.

ULTROS!

Mr_Zombie said:
It was bad.
The story is plain stupid (with an awful "twist" concerning a certain character) and the graphics (even back then, more so nowadays) are ugly, especially when you compare it to beautiful art of LeChuck's Revenge or CoMI. I don't remember much puzzles from the game (I only played it once), but I remember one particular "puzzle" - Monkey Combat. And I HATE it :|

I remember that game, I think that's why I gave up on Escape from Monkey Island.

But still, I want to see a remake of it in better graphics (2D is preferred), improved(?) story, and no more Monkey Combat. :p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
3D is fine, the problem with Escape was the fact it was ugly 3D.
Add terrible Resident Evil tank-style controls, a terrible story, mostly uninspired puzzles (except the swamp, that one is genius) and the dreadful Monkey Kombat, and you'll have a pretty disappointing package.

ambalek

I'm playing this on iPad, because I enjoyed the first remake on iPhone a lot.

Has anyone else found this bug?

I'm hanging over the acid with Wally, and I let them die on purpose. After the cut scene with Elaine, it goes back to the acid pit...

And none of the icons have appeared so I can't progress with the game. I quit the game and relaunched it (iPad is still on iOS 3.2 so exiting an app doesn't background it, it stops it). Obviously it auto-saved so now I'm stuck with no icons, permanently
hanging over the acid pit, and they won't even die again after the set amount of time!

I reported it in iTunes, so hopefully they might patch it, but I haven't found anyone else mentioning this bug online yet so I might be out of luck.

itxaka

Defeatist
Got it the other day on pre-sale (got the first one free, already got it on 360 thougth) and I am astounded and the higher quality of it compared to the first one.

It's just much much better than the first one. Awesome artwork, and very well translated.

Anyone saw manny calavera on the gobernor's house painting? :lol I had to check on the original version to be sure that that wasn't there before :lol

Still, one thing that they weren't able to translate was Guybrush face when the parents dance. It's still the best face that Guybrush has ever done. And to think that it was made with a few pixels makes it better.

Still working my way with the game, listening to the commentary makes it more enjoyable and discovers a few things, like the first game sword insults that....tim? thought it was a bad idea and players were gonna complain and has become legendary on itself showing the heart of the game, having fun.

Also got both games on the iphone (Yeah, I am a MI lover) and it's much easier than the first one to control. Retro adventure gaming on the go is awesome.

Top Bottom