• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition |OT|

Sloane

Banned
Sectus said:
Well, from a general consumer point of view, reviews are there to tell people whether or not something is worth buying.
Well, to know if "people" will consider a game worth buying, the reviewer probably has to be a psychic -- he can only state his opinion, tell us what he likes and what he doesn't like. But I guess that's a matter for a different thread. :lol

Trial download (page 2) and a bunch of avatar clothes:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/g...fe-1000-9115-d80258410a53/?of=0&bt=0&sb=1&p=1

Peff said:
Uh, some Avatar clothes can only be bought if you have a Gold accoung? What's the point :lol ?

Because your avatar needs exclusive clothes to show it's better than your friends silver account avatars!

ARG!

I'm already frustrated at Lucas Arts. I bought Lechuck's Revenge on Steam as my first ever Steam game.

Tried to play Secret of Monkey and the mouse clicks don't work on dialogue options. Apparently it's a bug (Lucas Arts specialty). I'm on Vista and I'm suppose to check something on the EXE file, but I can't find where the game folder is at.

Can someone kindly help me.

LOVE & TRUTH said:
Broken Sword sucks anyway, so nobody cared. :lol

it doesn't suck.
and in my opinion, rewriting dialogue is a misdemeanor (depending on the circumstances) while this monkey island special editions thing is a betrayal to the fanbase of epic proportions. imuse dumped, intro and outro dumped...oh wow they added a commentary track! *sigh*
how can they come out and say that they're making these games to honor the 20th anniversary of monkey island baffles me.
first we had to put up with those shitty hand-drawn graphics from mi1:se just to hear voice-overs. somehow they managed to retain the music and everything else in the classic but NO they couldn't have used voice-overs. i honestly don't care how hard it would have been to get it done, but anything from stopping me from seeing this new thing they called artwork in mi1.
and man, i feel really pissed off about mi2. you're like "yey, they're gonna have voice-overs in classic mode! all i ever wanted", this piece of shit comes out and we're lucky they didn't strip anything else. i don't want gamepad control on a point and click game, i don't want to play the game with these new "graphics", i wanted the fucking classic mode with voice-overs.
is it that hard LUCASARTS? god, what a shadow of what they once were have they become.

and yes, i'm quite pissed off:lol

kazuma_pt said:
and yes, i'm quite pissed off:lol

You know, I tend to think the missing intro isn't as egregious as the absolute terrible control interface in Secret of Monkey Island SE. I played about 30 minutes of it and I can't believe they forced you to use the keyboard. A remake of a game 20 years ago had a better control interface.

Based on the demo I played on the PS3, Lechuck's Revenge has a intuitive cursor control action command. If the game designer doesn't allow you to play through an old Monkey Island game with just the mouse, I would fire him at the spot. I would bet you have to use the keyboard to bring up the inventory in this remake too. It's absurd.

edit: Also, how do you not fix that bug in Vista/7 with the mouse clicks. No patch, no nothing. The control mechanism is broken and Lucas Arts sits on their hands. It was seriously game breaking to me.

BluWacky

I wonder why they took so much stuff out? The omission of the credits seems really strange, they can't have been that complicated to do - something to do with the Special Edition staff needing credits differently?

I sympathise with those who are angry about the changes and omissions but I already own the original game and have the whole thing stored on the hard drives of something like three different computers, so the changes will not affect my enjoyment of the Special Edition at all.

The only change I REALLY want featured is a button to skip text in HD mode. Is there one this time round? Really irritated me in the original Special Edition, I read so much faster than they speak and kept switching to Classic Mode to get through it all faster.

marathonfool said:
ARG!

I'm already frustrated at Lucas Arts. I bought Lechuck's Revenge on Steam as my first ever Steam game.

Tried to play Secret of Monkey and the mouse clicks don't work on dialogue options. Apparently it's a bug (Lucas Arts specialty). I'm on Vista and I'm suppose to check something on the EXE file, but I can't find where the game folder is at.

There is your problem.

Arg the intro has been removed, wtf. *crosses fingers this is a console only problem and not the PC version*

Peff

BluWacky said:
I wonder why they took so much stuff out? The omission of the credits seems really strange, they can't have been that complicated to do - something to do with the Special Edition staff needing credits differently?

I sympathise with those who are angry about the changes and omissions but I already own the original game and have the whole thing stored on the hard drives of something like three different computers, so the changes will not affect my enjoyment of the Special Edition at all.

The only change I REALLY want featured is a button to skip text in HD mode. Is there one this time round? Really irritated me in the original Special Edition, I read so much faster than they speak and kept switching to Classic Mode to get through it all faster.

There was one button to skip sequences, at least on console, and it's back this time around.

Also, ironically, the intro theme is remixed and it's in the game, it plays during the menu screen, and the monkeys are in the LucasArts logo. I really have no clue why they took the intro out.

So, what is all removed from the original version? The credits at the beginning and the iMUSE system? Never played the original so don't think I will miss it very much, but would like to know.

syllogism

The Reviewer said:
So, just FYI, someone in the Mixnmojo forums says that iMUSE works wonderfully on the PS3 version he just downloaded...is it possible Lucasarts sent me an old build? Anyone playing this yet?
Who knows

e: there are a lot of other complaints about the music on the forums, however

I'm also finding several instances of music playing the wrong cues at the wrong time or going wrong in other ways, for example:

1) When Largo gets the beard, the Voodoo Theme/Lechuck Mix starts too early, skipping the church organ part that's supposed to start immediately preceeding it.

2) When the cook chase music plays, it stops after a while, leaving it silent until you escape, when the end bit plays.

3) A lot of music not looping properly, in the same way. For example, after a while the inside booty mansion music stops abruptly and then goes back into the muffled version you (incorrectly) hear in the town, which brings us to...

4) Some booty island music is just missing, replaced by a muffled version of the Booty Mansion mardi gras music.

5) Music not synching up properly to other stuff, such as when you use Ash 2 Life, and the mistimed vocals in the bone song.

Peff

The music definitely changes from one screen to the next. It might not be as seamless, I think, but it's hard to notice.

Mr_Zombie

marathonfool said:

As I recall, you have to turn off the Aero theme for the game and it should work properly then.

Also, are those "suggestions" in credits remove completely from the game, or only from the remake version? Because I remember that there was something similiar in the first Special Edition, that the credits in classic mode were different than the ones in the HD mode.

Waiting for it to be available on steam, its pre loading which I have no clue what means. That I can instant play the game when it appears? Can't wait either ways :)

nny

storafötter said:
Waiting for it to be available on steam, its pre loading which I have no clue what means. That I can instant play the game when it appears? Can't wait either ways :)

It means that when the release time comes (in 7 hours or so), you'll already have the game on your computer ready to be played (as opposed to having to start downloading only after the time of release).

storafötter said:
Yes, you can play instantly then.

Radogol

What's this I hear about iMuse not being included? I got the iPhone version and the music is pretty dynamic, subtly changing from location to location. Granted, it's not REAL iMuse, but the effect is emulated very well. Or isn't it?

Peff

Radogol said:
What's this I hear about iMuse not being included? I got the iPhone version and the music is pretty dynamic, subtly changing from location to location. Granted, it's not REAL iMuse, but the effect is emulated very well. Or isn't it?

Yeah, I don't get the complaints either. For all intents and purposes it sounds very similar to the MIDI version even if it isn't.

painey

just cannot stand the HD graphics, they are disgusting and an insult to the original artists. Thank god you can play classic mode with voices this time.. even if some of the voices are a little odd..

nny said:
It means that when the release time comes (in 7 hours or so), you'll already have the game on your computer ready to be played (as opposed to having to start downloading only after the time of release).

thanks for the answer! hmm in 7 hours? ugh...

Wessiej

painey said:
just cannot stand the HD graphics, they are disgusting and an insult to the original artists. Thank god you can play classic mode with voices this time.. even if some of the voices are a little odd..
207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
McBacon said:

I got 400 free points from some Rockstar promotion. Let's say it was paid for by that!
it -- it is kind

kind of

k-kind of... of coeeeeoeococdnsffjjklslllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllcool

Peff

Haha, "that" song is pretty cool :D Though I didn't think
one of the voices would be feminine once they turn into skeletons. Also, why don't they update SoMI with that sprite :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SalsaShark said:
I did not know that, it doesnt change anything though, to play a point and click adventure with a gamepad sounds like the most uncomfortable thing ever. But oh well, to each its own.
Not really. I do most of my gaming downstairs on the couch and a mouse just isn't that comfortable to use when I want to relax with a game like this. The gamepad works just fine.

Not everyone wants to sit at a desk to play games like this.

they are disgusting and an insult to the original artists.
Oh, come on. They look great in their own way!

I can't believe how jaded some people sound. What's the point in getting angry? Why not just enjoy an alternate vision of a great game? It's ridiculous to get this worked up over something like this.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dark10x said:
Not really. I do most of my gaming downstairs on the couch and a mouse just isn't that comfortable to use when I want to relax with a game like this. The gamepad works just fine.

Not everyone wants to sit at a desk to play games like this.

how do you get pinpoint accuracy when you want to pick up a rat? doesn't that negatively impact your experience, that it takes an extra two seconds?

Hanmik

beelzebozo said:
how do you get pinpoint accuracy when you want to pick up a rat? doesn't that negatively impact your experience, that it takes an extra two seconds?

What..? you cannot cope with 2 seconds..?

Are you 88 and running out of time?

a14j9z.jpg

it works like a charm with a Controller. Has not bothered me yet. I would always prefer a couch/bed ahead of desk/guilitine .. it suits my gaming habbits better.

epmode

If they screwed up the Imuse stuff in either the remake or ESPECIALLY the original version, I'm going to be mildly furious.

..but I guess I always have the SCUMMVM version. It would be awesome for new players to hear how great it was though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
beelzebozo said:
I'm good enough with a gamepad that it's not a problem.

I'm willing to deal with slightly less precision in the name of comfort. The fact is, using a mouse just isn't comfortable where I do most of my gaming. That's why the PC version is pretty great as I have a choice.

S1kkZ

whats wrong with guybrushs walk animation? it looks like it constantly skips some frames and looks very choppy. (360 version)

Top Bottom