• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mountain Goats: Beat the Champ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Tonight's the night. Hyyyppppeeed!

Woo! Just 5 more hours til I start heading up! So looking forward to it.

I ended up getting one of my friends to tag along with me too, so the drive should be more bearable. Haha

I really hope they play You're in Maya since it's at The Mayan.

Kipp

So I'm listening to some Mountain Goats bootlegs at work in anticipation of tonight and I'm listening to this bootleg from 2002 where John plays No Children for the 3rd time ever live. It's so bizarre hearing this song live without hearing everybody in the whole audience yelling along with it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm incredibly jealous of everyone getting to see them on this tour. I loved the Transcendental Youth show, but I bet this one is way more fun.

Have fun tonight you guys!

I'm sure they'll put on a fantastic show as always.

I've got tickets for November, so let me know how this one goes.

Kipp

I'm incredibly jealous of everyone getting to see them on this tour. I loved the Transcendental Youth show, but I bet this one is way more fun.

Was that the tour where they had horns? I would've loved to have seen that.

Have fun tonight you guys!

I'm sure they'll put on a fantastic show as always.

I've got tickets for November, so let me know how this one goes.

Thanks!
And will do! Congrats on getting tickets yourself!

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Was that the tour where they had horns? I would've loved to have seen that.

Yeah. It was the first show of the tour, and it had only just recently been revealed that the album featured horns. John was so excited to bring them out.

I really lucked out with where we got to stand. Very front of the crowd, leaning on the stage, and right where he happened to set up the keys. Watching him play was fantastic. He thrashed around so violently he flung his glasses off his face at one point.

Kipp

That show was simply incredible. It will easily make the top 5 best moments of my entire year.

Also, pics incoming (they're on Filthy Slug's phone, so whenever he shows up)! I feel bad though, because Filthy Slug and I took pictures before we rendezvoused with Fish, and I totally meant to get more with the whole group, but in all the excitement I completely forgot. You'll just have to take my word for it that Fish is a real person and a cool guy.

Amazeballs!
Kipp and his friend and filthy are good people.
So damn good.

Until next time, yo.

It was fantastic meeting up with you guys! I'm so glad we were all able to hang out during the show. That was awesome.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
That show was simply incredible. It will easily make the top 5 best moments of my entire year.

Also, pics incoming (they're on Filthy Slug's phone, so whenever he shows up)! I feel bad though, because Filthy Slug and I took pictures before we rendezvoused with Fish, and I totally meant to get more with the whole group, but in all the excitement I completely forgot. You'll just have to take my word for it that Fish is a real person and a cool guy.

It was fantastic meeting up with you guys! I'm so glad we were all able to hang out during the show. That was awesome.

Glad you all had a great time! I am a bit bummed there are no pictures of fishy. I'm like 93% sure he is real, but I need that final 7%. You have no idea.

Kipp

Mentioning it since I was thinking about how cool it was this morning: they played Spent Gladiator 2 at the show, but they did it with only bass and drums. It was such an awesome live version of it. I really hope a bootleg of the show pops up.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ay, just wanted to pop in and say that the two hours spent jamming out to The Mountain Goats was amazing, but it was made so much more awesome having Kipp, Kipp's rad friend, and A Fish alongside. Im going to try to salvage the few pics I took when I get home next week.

Also, yoooo, they played Diaz Brothers and I was the happiest dude.

Kipp

Ay, just wanted to pop in and say that the two hours spent jamming out to The Mountain Goats was amazing, but it was made so much more awesome having Kipp, Kipp's rad friend, and A Fish alongside. Im going to try to salvage the few pics I took when I get home next week.

Also, yoooo, they played Diaz Brothers and I was the happiest dude.

Awww. Too kind. It really was an incredible experience all around. I'm so glad that it actually came together.

And yes. The Diaz Brothers was so good. In fact, every one of the 8 or so encore songs they did was just nuts.

Edit: Bootleg!
Unfortunately, it's a pretty low quality bootleg, but it's something. All y'all who weren't at the show should check out Spent Gladiator 2. This live version is so cool.
Also, seeing the setlist on this bootleg reminded me how awesome the cover of "Willin'" was. That was one of the highlights for me.

besada

Banned
Opened with Blues in Dallas, played a nice mix of the new album, Transcendental Youth, and older songs. Played most of "Momma Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys" by Willie Nelson, which was hilarious. Fantastic show and a great venue.

Kipp

Opened with Blues in Dallas, played a nice mix of the new album, Transcendental Youth, and older songs. Played most of "Momma Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys" by Willie Nelson, which was hilarious. Fantastic show and a great venue.

Opening with Blues in Dallas!? That's awesome. I'm not sure I've ever heard a live version of that.
Glad you had a great time!

Unicorn

Last time I saw him in 2012 (I think) he played Absolute Lithops Effect, which I thought I would never hear live. It was one of the greatest set lists imaginable, overall, but the AHWT love in that set is what made my night.

How did Blues in Dallas get played? Drum machine droning?

Kipp

Last time I saw him in 2012 (I think) he played Absolute Lithops Effect, which I thought I would never hear live. It was one of the greatest set lists imaginable, overall, but the AHWT love in that set is what made my night.

So lucky.
At the LA show, they actually didn't play one song from AHWT, which I found odd. I'm not complaining though. The set list was awesome.

And yeah, I'm really curious about how Blues in Dallas was played too. I'm hoping a bootleg pops up.

Unicorn

So lucky.
At the LA show, they actually didn't play one song from AHWT, which I found odd. I'm not complaining though. The set list was awesome.

And yeah, I'm really curious about how Blues in Dallas was played too. I'm hoping a bootleg pops up.

They also played Jeff Davis County Blues, This Year, and First Few Desperate Hours. It was roughly half old stuff and half Transcendental and Life of the World.

Beyond pleased with that set.

besada

Banned
Opening with Blues in Dallas!? That's awesome. I'm not sure I've ever heard a live version of that.
Glad you had a great time!
He said it was the first and probably last time he had ever opened with Blues in Dallas. The crowd went nuts when he got to the Dealy Plaza line.

Live drummer with a buzzy snare, melody on the electric piano.

Kipp

He said it was the first and probably last time he had ever opened with Blues in Dallas. The crowd went nuts when he got to the Dealy Plaza line.

Live drummer with a buzzy snare, melody on the electric piano.

That sounds awesome.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Did they end with No Children, besada? 'Cause that was kind of one of the raddest moments ever. Hearing everybody screaming "And I hope you die/ I hope we both die" is amazing.

I assume they end every show with that one.

Kipp

Did they end with No Children, besada? 'Cause that was kind of one of the raddest moments ever. Hearing everybody screaming "And I hope you die/ I hope we both die" is amazing.

That was the best ever. My voice was so gone by that point, but I was yelling at the top of my lungs regardless.

besada

Banned

Nope. We ended on This Year. They did two encores, the first of which was No Children.

Filthy Slug

That was the best ever. My voice was so gone by that point, but I was yelling at the top of my lungs regardless.

Two full hours of Mountain Goats, my dude. I was spent by the end of the night.

Nope. We ended on This Year. They did two encores, the first of which was No Children.

Still an excellent ending song. Yeah, we had two encores as well, but our first one was about a half hour long. They really play the shit out of those encores.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
At every tMG show I have been to, some idiot starts yelling for No Children or This Year or Best Ever Death Metal Band Out of Denton after maybe the third song. Yes - let's get the big singalong encore songs out of the way early! I would love to hear this crowd shout "Hail Satan!" with less than 100% commitment! Amazing suggestions!

And for a band with hundreds and hundreds of songs, I'm glad *someone* is there requesting the most popular songs, played at literally every show ever. Let's make sure we shout down the people politely requesting songs that never ever get played and that would be amazing to hear!

So angry.

Filthy Slug

At every tMG show I have been to, some idiot starts yelling for No Children or This Year or Best Ever Death Metal Band Out of Denton after maybe the third song. Yes - let's get the big singalong encore songs out of the way early! I would love to hear this crowd shout "Hail Satan!" with less than 100% commitment! Amazing suggestions!

And for a band with hundreds and hundreds of songs, I'm glad *someone* is there requesting the most popular songs, played at literally every show ever. Let's make sure we shout down the people politely requesting songs that never ever get played and that would be amazing to hear!

So angry.

If it makes you feel better, I was whispering "Diaz Brothers" into Kipp's ear every few songs. Pretty sure they heard me by the end of the show.

Kipp

So angry.

After expecting this kind of thing from hearing it on pretty much every bootleg ever, I was super surprised that there was basically none of this whatsoever at the LA show. It was almost strange. In fact, there was so little of it, that I distinctly remember somebody yelling "BAD PRIESTESS!" and that was one of the only times someone called out for a song the whole show.

If it makes you feel better, I was whispering "Diaz Brothers" into Kipp's ear every few songs. Pretty sure they heard me by the end of the show.

I was so happy for you when he started to say "this is a song about two people who were mentioned briefly in the movie Scarface."

I just thought he was whispering sweet nothings.

Mercy for the Diaz Brothers.
No mercy for Kipp.

Hahaha

Slightly off-topic, but is anyone into Peter Peter Hughes' solo records? I've been into The One Hundred Thousand Songs Of Peter Peter Hughes for many years now, but this last week, I've finally started listening to Fangio, and goddamn is it good. It's basically a 90% historically accurate biographical album about Argentinian race driving legend Juan Manuel Fangio--with a bit of "what if?" storytelling. In this case, "what if Fangio, in his old age, decided to start assassinating dictators and other oppressors to make amends for his silence during the Dirty Wars?"

It's so good.

The way the final track ends gives me chills.

regrets, I’ve had a few
well okay, I’ve had a lot
I was courageous, a hero on the track
and off it I was not
I watched my countrymen
sent off to their deaths
and I never said a word
instead I used my celebrity and my fame
and I hid behind my name as a shield
a fucking shield
when it should have been a sword

Kipp

Slightly off-topic, but is anyone into Peter Peter Hughes' solo records? I've been into The One Hundred Thousand Songs Of Peter Peter Hughes for many years now, but this last week, I've finally started listening to Fangio, and goddamn is it good. It's basically a 90% historically accurate biographical album about Argentinian race driving legend Juan Manuel Fangio--with a bit of "what if?" storytelling. In this case, "what if Fangio, in his old age, decided to start assassinating dictators and other oppressors to make amends for his silence during the Dirty Wars?"

It's so good.

The way the final track ends gives me chills.

regrets, I’ve had a few
well okay, I’ve had a lot
I was courageous, a hero on the track
and off it I was not
I watched my countrymen
sent off to their deaths
and I never said a word
instead I used my celebrity and my fame
and I hid behind my name as a shield
a fucking shield
when it should have been a sword

I didn't even know Peter Hughes had solo stuff! I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

I didn't even know Peter Hughes had solo stuff! I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

:D I have a feeling you'll like it. When I saw tMG in '11, my partner and I were shouting out PPH solo material titles at the appropriate time, which gave the guys a giggle.

Edit: I should also link to his Soundcloud page, which currently only holds one song: the anthemic Class War Right Now. PPH hits all the right commie buttons with me :p

Kipp

:D I have a feeling you'll like it. When I saw tMG in '11, my partner and I were shouting out PPH solo material titles at the appropriate time, which gave the guys a giggle.

Haha. That's awesome.

Also, just listened to the title track of The One Hundred Thousand Songs of Peter Peter Hughes. Love it.
I love these lyrics juxtaposed on top of the feel-good instrumentals:

Some days I just feel like crying
Some days I just sit and cry
It's a funny thing about crying when you're lonely
There's no one there to impress
You know it's not for effect

Some days I just feel like dying
Some days I just want to die
It's a funny thing about dying when you're alone
You know we all die alone
Yeah we all die alone

I listened to the first couple songs on Fangio, but they weren't doing a lot for me. Totally digging the first album though. I'll go back and check out Fangio after I've listened to One Hundred Thousands Songs a bit. Haha

Both the lyrics and the totally raw production are so good. Thanks again for the recommendation! This is great.
So upbeat with such horribly depressing lyrics. Very reminiscent of the Mountain Goats. Haha

Edit: Bad Times is such an amazing song. (I've loved all of them so far, but that one's the one I love most)

Haha. That's awesome.

Also, just listened to the title track of The One Hundred Thousand Songs of Peter Peter Hughes. Love it.
I love these lyrics juxtaposed on top of the feel-good instrumentals:

I listened to the first couple songs on Fangio, but they weren't doing a lot for me. Totally digging the first album though. I'll go back and check out Fangio after I've listened to One Hundred Thousands Songs a bit. Haha

Both the lyrics and the totally raw production are so good. Thanks again for the recommendation! This is great.
So upbeat with such horribly depressing lyrics. Very reminiscent of the Mountain Goats. Haha

Edit: Bad Times is such an amazing song. (I've loved all of them so far, but that one's the one I love most)

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! I find The One Hundred Thousand Songs to be more accessible, and it's just a really good album all the way through. I was listening to it earlier and thinking about exactly that section, curiously.

Fangio's more of a slow burn. I'd actually recommend starting with the end of the album and working your way back. The final four tracks are simply phenomenal, especially Compared To Their Predecessors and Beat Your Halfshafts Into Swords. Also, the version on the Bandcamp page has the two songs from the accompanying 7" leading the album--the CD version starts at track 3, and it's a good place to start, as far as album flow is concerned. It's kind of a dense work, all things considered.

Kipp

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! I find The One Hundred Thousand Songs to be more accessible, and it's just a really good album all the way through. I was listening to it earlier and thinking about exactly that section, curiously.

Fangio's more of a slow burn. I'd actually recommend starting with the end of the album and working your way back. The final four tracks are simply phenomenal, especially Compared To Their Predecessors and Beat Your Halfshafts Into Swords. Also, the version on the Bandcamp page has the two songs from the accompanying 7" leading the album--the CD version starts at track 3, and it's a good place to start, as far as album flow is concerned. It's kind of a dense work, all things considered.

Okay cool, I'll definitely do that!
And oh okay, that's very good to know about the 7". The first two songs were the only ones I listened to from that album so far, so I guess I didn't even give it a fair shot then if those were just B-Sides. Haha
But yeah, I'll definitely post again once I listen to Fangio or at least those two songs. I'm a pretty big Formula 1 fan, so I'm into the subject matter at least.

Also, I'd highly recommend checking out Beat Radio (this album in particular is my favorite, but they're all good). Not exactly the same as Peter Hughes by any means, but the style is definitely in the same kind of area and I feel like you might appreciate it. Beat Radio is one of my all-time favorites.

Edit: All right, finished listening to One Hundred Thousand Songs. Whole album was excellent. I'll definitely be giving that one a lot of listens.
Also just listened to "Compared to Their Predecessors..." Such an amazing song. Beat Your Halfshafts Into Swords was pretty great as well.
I'll definitely listen to the rest of that album when I have a chance, but I want to do some reading right now. Haha

Also, I'd highly recommend checking out Beat Radio (this album in particular is my favorite, but they're all good). Not exactly the same as Peter Hughes by any means, but the style is definitely in the same kind of area and I feel like you might appreciate it. Beat Radio is one of my all-time favorites.

Thank you so much for this recommendation :) It's pretty cool, but I bet my wife'll like it even more. I'll start it over when she gets home.

I've been wanting to read Wolf In White Van for a while.

Kipp

Still really digging The One Hundred Thousand Songs of Peter Peter Hughes. Great stuff. Still haven't moved onto Fangio though, but I'll listen to it after this listen, I promise! Haha

Edit: Okay, Fangio is awesome too. It reminds me a lot of Hotline Miami in some ways. Haha
Favorites so far are Bebe's Song and Los Viejos. So good.

Also, I've been listening to Come, Come to the Sunset Tree again for the first time in way too long. Love those demos so much.

Filthy Slug

Still really digging The One Hundred Thousand Songs of Peter Peter Hughes. Great stuff. Still haven't moved onto Fangio though, but I'll listen to it after this listen, I promise! Haha

Edit: Okay, Fangio is awesome too. It reminds me a lot of Hotline Miami in some ways. Haha
Favorites so far are Bebe's Song and Los Viejos. So good.

Also, I've been listening to Come, Come to the Sunset Tree again for the first time in way too long. Love those demos so much.

Really like those demos too. They have that rough recorded-in-a-bathroom vibe but they're still mostly good/great.

Kipp

Really like those demos too. They have that rough recorded-in-a-bathroom vibe but they're still mostly good/great.

Yeah. I've never been able to decide whether I like the studio album or the demos more. They kind of compliment each other perfectly.

High Doses #2, The Day the Aliens Came, and Collapsing Stars are all so good.

Kipp

I'm really enjoying Wolf in White Van.
Also, the themes in All Eternals Deck compliment Wolf in White Van perfectly. After reading some WiWV, I had a strong urge to listen to AED and it was a great combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom