• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mountain Goats: Beat the Champ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
If anyone hasn't listened to the bonus track, Blood Capsules, you should definitely listen to it. Such a great song. Totally unlike any other Mountain Goats song too.

This is a copy of a DVD that I believe was sold on TMG tours around the release of The Life of the World to Come.

It's JD (occasionally accompanied by Rachel Ware) playing the whole album back to back in a music hall in Pomona, CA.

It's also directed by Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper)

Wow. Finally started watching this. What a stellar performance.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Now that I've had some time to listen to this a few times through and really pay attention to it, I gotta say: this is one of my favorite Goats albums. There's not a single song that I can pick out as bring weak, and the highs are amazing. Werewolf Gimmick and Unmasked! are the highlights for me, which is funny considering how different they are from each other. I never skip a song when I listen to the album, though. Just start from the beginning and let it play out.

Kipp

Now that I've had some time to listen to this a few times through and really pay attention to it, I gotta say: this is one of my favorite Goats albums. There's not a single song that I can pick out as bring weak, and the highs are amazing. Werewolf Gimmick and Unmasked! are the highlights for me, which is funny considering how different they are from each other. I never skip a song when I listen to the album, though. Just start from the beginning and let it play out.

Agreed. I've probably listened to it 20 times by now and every time I listen to it I realize how solid it is as an album. Every song is great, with tons of variety too, like you said.
I have the CD in my car currently, and the places I drive to most often are about 10 minutes drives, so every 10 minute drive is made up of me being hugely indecisive about which 2-3 songs from the album I want to listen to during the drive, since every song is so good. I do find myself listening to Heel Turn 2 the most though. Even though the whole album is brilliant, I think that's the standout for me.
However, Choked Out definitely takes the cake for the song that's most fun to scream at the top of my lungs while driving. Haha

I haven't been able to really get into a Mountain Goats album since Heretic Pride but man this one sounds great after a few listens. Choked Out and Heel Turn 2 are probably my favorites so far.

Kipp

Also since this is basically tmg ot here are some of my favorite performances:

Nine Black Poppies

Baboon

Maybe Sprout Wings

I'll definitely give those a listen.
Edit: Oh man, those were all fantastic. Thanks for linking those.

If we're talking about favorite live performances, this whole show is so good. In particular, Against Pollution and Hast Thou Considered the Tetrapod are insanely good. They're just pure energy. Song for Dana Plato and From TG&Y are also standouts.

I'll definitely give those a listen.
Edit: Oh man, those were all fantastic. Thanks for linking those.

If we're talking about favorite live performances, this whole show is so good. In particular, Against Pollution and Hast Thou Considered the Tetrapod are insanely good. They're just pure energy. Song for Dana Plato and From TG&Y are also standouts.

No problem dude! I'll be sure to give that live set a listen as well.

Here's another good one from a Daytrotter session. No video aside from a cartoon the uploader made but still a great, great track that desperately needs more recognition.

Kipp

No problem dude! I'll be sure to give that live set a listen as well.

Here's another good one from a Daytrotter session. No video aside from a cartoon the uploader made but still a great, great track that desperately needs more recognition.

Cool! Let me know what you think after you've listened!

And YES. I absolutely love that song. It always baffles me how that didn't make the cut for Tallahassee. Not that there's anything that should've been taken off Tallahassee either though.

Kipp

Finally got my CD in the mail. The sticker on the plastic wrap is the best:
"This right here is an album about professional wrestling."

Based Besada.

Got the LA tix.

My body is ready.

Yes, I'm from south LA hit me up yo.

Aww yes. So glad you got that tag. I've sung that line to myself countless, countless times over the years. Such a great song.
Edit: Also, just noticed that your avatar and tag go perfectly together. Haha

And woo! Nice!

And oh man. Awesome. PMing you now.

Kipp: ticket status?

I'll buy them tonight if I remember. If not tonight, at least this weekend.

Kipp

Just bought my ticket! So excited for the show and to meet up with you guys. It's super cool that like half of the people who post in this thread are able to make it to the show. Haha
I'm really looking forward to it! It should be a great time.
And Filthy Slug, I especially never thought I'd get to meet up with you since you're on the other coast.

Also, since it's at The Mayan, they better play You're In Maya.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just bought my ticket! So excited for the show and to meet up with you guys. It's super cool that like half of the people who post in this thread are able to make it to the show. Haha
I'm really looking forward to it! It should be a great time.
And Filthy Slug, I especially never thought I'd get to meet up with you since you're on the other coast.

Also, since it's at The Mayan, they better play You're In Maya.
It's a real Comics-Gaf miracle. It's gonna be fucking awesome.

Yeah buddy! I should probably just fly out to LA and see them again...
Yo, you definitely should.

Everybody come to this damn concert! Pack this place out with wonderful gaffers.

Kipp

My other all-time favorite bootleg: https://archive.org/details/tmg1999-01-27.aud.128mp3
Such an amazing show and a pretty fantastic setlist too. Probably the best pre-2000 bootleg I've come across.

If you haven't ever heard the song Letter From a Motel (by some quick googling, it seems that that bootleg and one other are the only ways you can hear it), you absolutely have to listen to it.

It's a real Comics-Gaf miracle. It's gonna be fucking awesome.

For real. I'm so excited.

Have fun, dude! I admit that I'm contemplating getting tickets for Seattle myself...

Do it!

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I've been sleeping too much and don't really feel great. I'm a mess mentally and also very upset and exhausted. My OCD is also coming on like never before. My memory has also gone to hell and I can not tell you with certainty if I took my pills yet today because I don't remember. Fuck mental Illness.

But - I've been listening to Transcendental Youth over and over and am enjoying it. So that's nice.

Also I'm hungry.

Finally got my CD in the mail. The sticker on the plastic wrap is the best:
"This right here is an album about professional wrestling."
I laughed when I opened the gatefold packaging for the vinyl and that was written in large bold letters on the inside cover. I really love the artwork and packaging for the album.

Faux edit:
vqUa5dL.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
My other all-time favorite bootleg: https://archive.org/details/tmg1999-01-27.aud.128mp3
Such an amazing show and a pretty fantastic setlist too. Probably the best pre-2000 bootleg I've come across.

If you haven't ever heard the song Letter From a Motel (by some quick googling, it seems that that bootleg and one other are the only ways you can hear it), you absolutely have to listen to it.
Damn, that is a great fucking song. Thanks for sharing that, Kipp. It's super emotional.
That's fancy looking mate
This is some of the best vinyl packaging I've seen in a while. I love it. Also, comes with a rad poster and some stickers.

Filthy Slug

Been having not the best past few days, but man, Transcendental Youth is keeping me steady. Like, that album could have easily been titled "Just Stay Alive". It's fucking excellent from start to finish.

How do y'all find the album?

Kipp

Been having not the best past few days, but man, Transcendental Youth is keeping me steady. Like, that album could have easily been titled "Just Stay Alive". It's fucking excellent from start to finish.

Totally agree. That album has gotten me through a lot as well.
The line "Just stay alive/Maybe spit some blood at the camera" has been in my head the past couple weeks in particular.

I absolutely love Transcendental Youth. It hits all the right buttons for me. Plus that horn section is just awesome.

If I had to pick a favorite track, I'd pick the title track. Something about it is just exceptionally special to me. It's simultaneously sad and uplifting.
With that said, I absolutely love the album in its entirety.

Kipp

Oh man. I just found what I'm going to be listening to at work today.
1998 - Live at Cow Haus bootleg

Felt like hearing Snow Crush Killing Song live, so I searched for that on archive.org and decided to listen to the version on that bootleg. So far it seems like an awesome bootleg. Great sound quality for that early era of Mountain Goats bootlegs. But mostly, it's got that insane energy that pre-2000 Mountain Goats bootlegs all have. You can tell he's playing with nothing to lose, just trying to get the audiences attention by throwing everything he's got at them.
Case in point, in this version of Snow Crush Killing Song, a super soft song on the album, he screams out the second verse and it sounds AWESOME.

Really looking forward to giving the rest of that bootleg a listen.

Edit: This whole bootleg is excellent.

Currently all about Heel Turn 2. I can relate to it on so many levels.

I've got an excellent tMG show story from a few years back, I'll pop in later and write it up.

Okay, time for my receipts!

I went to see the Goats for the first time in April 2011 (here's the bootleg). I'd been a fan for years, and had longed to catch a show, and then there was this, practically in my old backyard. I'd just begun my social transition, and had a feeling that a tMG show would be just what the doctor ordered, and I was right. It was extremely lovely and welcoming there, and there were so many times I couldn't help but cry.

They played a ton of stuff from the new record (All Eternals Deck), the Sunset Tree, Tallahassee, and some rare/obscure stuff. For me, the highlight of the night was him taking my request for Alpha Omega, after he did a tear-jerking solo rendition of You Were Cool. He was really bantery that night, and traded some excellent death metal jokes with my companion. I feel like everyone there ended up crying at least once that night. The crowd was excellent, singing along to everything... typical beautiful Baltimore.

I hope to see them again soon. I've been all about Beat The Champ this last month, my standouts are Foreign Object, Heel Turn 2, Ballad of Bull Ramos, and Blood Capsules <3. What a fantastic album.

PS: If I were to fish for a tMG tag, I'd want "All that's left for us now are moments like these" from New Chevrolet In Flames :D

Kipp

PS: If I were to fish for a tMG tag, I'd want "All that's left for us now are moments like these" from New Chevrolet In Flames :D

Oh I LOVE that song.

Great story, by the way! Glad you had such an amazing time at that show!

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I hope to see them again soon. I've been all about Beat The Champ this last month, my standouts are Foreign Object, Heel Turn 2, Ballad of Bull Ramos, and Blood Capsules <3. What a fantastic album.

Glad you had fun, that sounds great!

And Foreign Object and Ballad of Bull Ramos are my two favourites on that album as well. Amazing.

Oh I LOVE that song.

Great story, by the way! Glad you had such an amazing time at that show!

:D Thank you! I'd rank it up there with the best concerts I've seen in my life... King Crimson, The Flower Kings, Fish.... and tMG.

With my luck, I'll end up with "sometimes you get some heat, sometimes it follow you around", lol.

So this is a bootleg of one of their shows I saw a few years ago. It's a pretty good quality recording. It is unique in that he solicited requests.

Also it starts off with I Love You, Lets Light Ourselves on Fire which is probably the band's best song title. It's either this of Wizard Buys a Hat.

Great stuff between songs as well. Worth a listen all the way through.

This is fantastic, thank you very much for this.

Really excited for the November show, finally seeing my favourite band live.

My (second) contribution is this video with a great performance of one of my favourite TMG songs, Transjordanian Blues.

And finally, shuffling my feet, I'd like to hope that the tag fairy is not full of wrath and instead blesses me with "The grey sky was vast and real cryptic above me".

Edit: If you guys haven't seen JD go skateboarding, you really, really should.

"In Memory of Satan" is so my jam. I love the album but that song is one of my favs from the band.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
This is fantastic, thank you very much for this.

Really excited for the November show, finally seeing my favourite band live.

My (second) contribution is this video with a great performance of one of my favourite TMG songs, Transjordanian Blues.

And finally, shuffling my feet, I'd like to hope that the tag fairy is not full of wrath and instead blesses me with "The grey sky was vast and real cryptic above me".

Edit: If you guys haven't seen JD go skateboarding, you really, really should.

Love that first video! I had never heard Cutter! JD was born in my hometown of Bloomington, Indiana and he talks about the Indiana reference (the term "cutter" is extra associated with the area around Bloomington where the line stone quarries are)! Great song!

Kipp

tMG have never really been the greatest at music videos, but this one is better than most. I wish it had been filmed on actual VHS, but I digress.

The music video for Woke Up New is THE COOLEST though. I'm not a big fan of music videos in general, so this isn't saying a lot, but it's probably my favorite music video of all time.

Filthy Slug

I really like the video for This Year. It's simple but fun and goofy in the best way.

Kipp

Well, just asked my boss if I could leave work early next Wednesday. So it's officially official now! Next Wednesday is The Mountain Goats.

Filthy Slug

Well, just asked my boss if I could leave work early next Wednesday. So it's officially official now! Next Wednesday is The Mountain Goats.
Kipp, are you ready? Eastcoast/westcoast comic-goat gaf collision about to go down.

Kipp

Kipp, are you ready? Eastcoast/westcoast comic-goat gaf collision about to go down.

I've never been more ready.
I'm so excited. Haha. I still can't believe it actually worked out like that, that you're going to be in LA for this show.

Filthy Slug

I've never been more ready.
I'm so excited. Haha. I still can't believe it actually worked out like that, that you're going to be in LA for this show.

It's fucking super rad that everything is coming together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom