• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Music of the Next Zelda

olimario

Banned
I decided to type 'Kondo' into Windows Media Player and listen to all of his Zelda: Ocarina of Time Music and I've decided that I don't care if the music in the next Zelda follows closely the music of OOT. Slight remixes would be much appreciated.

It is easily his best and most atmospheric and involving music. It's also his most catchy.
The Zora theme, the Market Theme, Sora's Song, the Windmill Theme, Gerudo Valley, etc... It's all brilliant.

By that same token, I would NOT mind the music of the next Mario title to follow closely the music from Mario 64.

I don't know what it was about that generation, but kondo and everyone who helps him were at their best.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Don't forget Gerudo Valley.

I was so, so disappointed with WW's music (with the exception of maybe two pieces), I hope to god he's back on form this time. Same goes for Sunshine, though I'm not too worried about future Mario music, Sunshine's environments and general setting is the main reason for that soundtrack.

Cioran

In before Speevy! (Just kidding)

I want more interactive music (The Phantom Ganon build-up was awesome in Wind Waker) and less remixes! Atmospheric is good, but keep it to dungeons...

Eric-GCA

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
I was so, so disappointed with WW's music (with the exception of maybe two pieces), I hope to god he's back on form this time. Same goes for Sunshine, though I'm not too worried about future Mario music, Sunshine's environments and general setting is the main reason for that soundtrack.

Hmm, I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the music in EAD's recent games like WW have not been completely handled by Kondo himself, and that others have been helping with the composition.

Beezy

olimario said:
I decided to type 'Kondo' into Windows Media Player and listen to all of his Zelda: Ocarina of Time Music and I've decided that I don't care if the music in the next Zelda follows closely the music of OOT. Slight remixes would be much appreciated.

It is easily his best and most atmospheric and involving music. It's also his most catchy.
The Zora theme, the Market Theme, Sora's Song, the Windmill Theme, Gerudo Valley, etc... It's all brilliant.

I don't know what it was about that generation, but kondo and everyone who helps him were at their best.

IAWTP

Don't forget Saria's Song! BTW, anyone knows how old Koji Kondo is?

olimario

Banned
Sunshine had some fun tracks, but as a whole it wasn't as diverse, good, or intersting as SM64s.
The Delfino Plaza song IS very catchy, though.

lexi

Banned
Yep yep, Listening to the Orchestrated OOT soundtrack has convinced me it easily has one of the best soundtracks ever composed. It's also worth noting MM was Kondo at his absolute best, Calling the Four Giants > *

Here's hoping Kondo is in form for New Zelda.

olimario

Banned
lockii said:
Yep yep, Listening to the Orchestrated OOT soundtrack has convinced me it easily has one of the best soundtracks ever composed. It's also worth noting MM was Kondo at his absolute best, Calling the Four Giants > *

Here's hoping Kondo is in form for New Zelda.

The MM Soundtrack is just what I'm talking about!
It's deeply rooted in the sounds of OOT, but it varies where it needs to.

That IS what the next Zelda needs to have a great soundtrack.

jett

D-Member
olimario said:

I don't give a shit if its your "opinion". It's wrong. WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

lexi

Banned
Oh, and add Song of Healing to MM's greatness. I think it helps that the sidequests associated with that song were the best the Zelda series has ever seen.

olimario

Banned
lockii said:
Oh, and add Song of Healing to MM's greatness. I think it helps that the sidequests associated with that song were the best the Zelda series has ever seen.

Song of Healing sounds like it should be not only in BG&E, but that it should be the best track in BG&E.

Beezy

Do The Mario said:
There should be radio stations in the new Zelda

You should also be able to steal horses and run people over!

:lol :lol :lol

Grand Theft Epona: Hyrule Field

SantaC

IAWYP Olimario.

The problem is that there was actually 4 music composers for Wind Waker. The other 3 are obviously not in the same leauge as Kondo. I can't believe they had 4 different and was able to compose the worst music in a zelda game. Not saying the music sucked, but compared to other zeldas it did.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
MM and OoT were stupendous. WW had some of my favorite Zelda tracks ever, but some stinkers too. IIRC, Kondo was one of four composers working on WW. He worked alone on OoT and MM... I think.

The Phantom/Shadow Ganon interactive theme in WW was fucking ridiculously awesome, however. I loved how the music went back and forth depending on how well/poorly you did in the magical volleys. If you smacked the Ganon phantasm, causing him to drop and become vulnerable to your sword, the music was swell with this really triumphant beat. Likewise, if you were on the receiving end of the magical ball of pain, the music was get all dreary and "reset" when you recovered. Just awesome stuff.

Sagitario

Kondo RULZ!!!!
jam.gif

belgurdo

Banned
Do The Mario said:
There should be radio stations in the new Zelda

You should also be able to steal horses and run people over!

"Your Bow skill has reached "squire" level! Keep practicing until you reach Paladin level, which allows you to use two bows simultaneously"

el jacko

If you're curious, the composers for WW were:

Kenta Nagata: composed Mario Kart 64, 1080 Snowboarding, Animal Crossing (Field BGM only)
Hajime Wakai: composed Star Fox 64 (w/ Koji Kondo), F-Zero X (w/ Taro Bando), Pikmin 1 & 2
Toru Minegishi: composed Animal Crossing (Indoor BGM only). appears to mostly be a sound designer.

All three did Pokémon Stadium's soundtrack together.

Beezy

el jacko said:
If you're curious, the composers for WW were:

Kenta Nagata: composed Mario Kart 64, 1080 Snowboarding, Animal Crossing (Field BGM only)
Hajime Wakai: composed Star Fox 64 (w/ Koji Kondo), F-Zero X (w/ Taro Bando)
Toru Minegishi: composed Animal Crossing (Indoor BGM only). appears to mostly be a sound designer.

All three did Pokémon Stadium's soundtrack together.

WHat were they thinking when they decided to make them produce tracks for Zelda?

Saki

Banned
Idiots...
- Title <--- Fabulous track!
- Outset Island (Kokiri Forest, but so changed - it's essentially new) <--- Fabulous track!
- Fencing Instruction
- Battle <--- Fabulous track!
- Aryll's Kidnapping
- My Grandma
- Departure
- Forsaken Fortress Invasion 1
- Forsaken Fortress <--- Fabulous track!
- Windfall Island (Kakariko Village, but so changed - it's essentially new) <--- Fabulous track!
- Ocean (Overworld, but so changed - it's essentially new) <--- Fabulous track!
- Dragon Roost Island <--- Fabulous track!
- Mini Boss <--- Fabulous track!
- Gohma Second Half <--- Fabulous track!
- Forest Haven
- Ceremony In The Woods
- The Great Sea Is Cursed (Ocean + Ganondorf's theme, but changed significantly) <--- Fabulous track!
- Tower of the Gods <--- Fabulous track!
- Gohdan <--- Fabulous track!
- Aryll's Rescue 4
- Helmaroc King <--- Fabulous track!
- Earth Temple
- Molgera <--- Fabulous track!
- Puppet Ganon (All forms)
- Ganondorf Battle <--- Fabulous track!
- Staff Credits (Title, but extended) <--- Fabulous track!
- Aryll's Theme <--- Fabulous track!
- Game Demo (Ocean, but a little more energetic) <--- Fabulous track!

Not to mention the countless cues and tracks from classic Zelda games, TWW's soundtrack was a sensation!

olimario

Banned
TWW's soundtrack as a whole wasn't very good quality, wasn't very catchy, and had a very childish sound.

Exceptions are the Outset Theme, The Volcano Island Theme, and the Staff Credits.

En-ou

lockii said:
damn you, you beat me to it. >_<

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Windwaker's soundtrack is terrible. I bet Minish Cap's soundtrack trumps over it, and that's a GBA game

Saki

Banned
Wario64 said:
Windwaker's soundtrack is terrible. I bet Minish Cap's soundtrack trumps over it, and that's a GBA game
pssh apart from Minish Forest and Minish Town, all the good tracks are tracks from TLOZ, ALTTP and OOT

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The only track that sticks out for me from Windwaker is the title screen/credits music. The live version played at the Mario And Zelda Big Band Live concert is even better

Saki

Banned
guess said:
which are all better then the TWW soundtrack
Yeah... especially when most of those tracks are IN The Wind Waker.
Fricking Junior Members.

The live version played at the Mario And Zelda Big Band Live concert is even better
Yup yup, makes you wonder how great it'd be if it wasn't MIDI, of course the battle music wouldn't be interactive but still...
Listen to Helmaroc King again :D

En-ou

lols, so much hate towards ww's soundtrack. it wasnt as bad as you guys make it out to be, just the temple music mostly wasnt as good as the previous zeldas. but it had lots of other good music, the dragon island track is nothing short of amazing. i think the new zelda will have music similar to oot and mm. i want a modified gerudo valley theme!!

hirokazu

i honestly didn't enjoy much of Wind Waker's music, the ones that i did enjoy were more or less those that were past on past Zelda music, for the nostalgia value, i guess. i hope the new one has better, more memorable music in it.

Saki

Banned
En-ou said:
just the temple music mostly wasnt as good as the previous zeldas.
:lol That's because it didn't have many dungeons/temples :p

MM's temple music was pretty weak, except for Stone Tower

DSN2K

I know what it was with the WW soundtrack...

overall it was pretty effective but their were no tracks what really stood out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh hell no. Miniboss music, Phantom Ganon, Dragonroost Isle, and most of the boss musics (of which there were a truly stupendous amout). WW had a SHITLOAD of music, and some truly great, great, great ones. It just wasn't as consistently good as OoT and MM, imho.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I personally appreciated the indian influence in the music in WW. All the sitarr stuff etc. There was some great understated stuff. There was some good stuff in there sorry it wasn't "epic" enough

Zelda doesn't have to be a remix everytime. LoZ V: OoT remix edition ;)

Gibbo

The music in the Minish Cap is pretty awesome..however, alot of the tracks are remixes of past zelda games. Not that thats a bad thing of course

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As long as there is a track as addictive and beautiful as Zora's Domain, I shall be satisfied.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gibbo said:
The music in the Minish Cap is pretty awesome..however, alot of the tracks are remixes of past zelda games. Not that thats a bad thing of course

yeah, but for some odd reason they sound better than I remember from past incarnations. I have no idea how GBA can sound better than N64, but maybe they are just remixed with different instruments.

I to love the music in the minish cap.
Wind Waker is still one of the best games i have ever played, screw the haters.
Minish cap has a very WW feel to it, the art is almost the same and i love how they remixed
a lot of WW and OOT songs for this game, it really sounds very good.

The world needs WW2!, maybe on DS?!

hobbitx

I never really liked to much of the N64 Zeldas music, I didn't hate it, it just didn't amaze me like LttP, that's probably the best music I've heard in any game. I would kill to hear beautiful sounding stuff like the forest song or that weird song from the fortune tellers house in the new Zelda. I really think the darker stuff from LttP would totally fit with the new Links world.

WW also had some really good tracks during certain parts of the game. Like the music that plays in Hyrule castle and the last dungeon, those were some amazing tracks, I pray the next game is full of great sounding stuff like this as well.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
the windmill hut song in ocarina is one of my favourite tunes, ever. did kondo do super mario kart? i love those ones too :D

Kola

Minish Cap's music is amazing. Especially the dungeon themes are well written. Is it Koji Kondo? I'm not convinced yet, but the chances are high.

There are also some remixes of OoT's music. And of course the obvious Zelda overworld theme.

Top Bottom