• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathcart

Man, that Puerto Rico screenshot looks godawful, it just makes me sad. I can't believe the positive responses to it on BGG. On the other hand, the same dev did Ra and their upcoming version of Tikal doesn't look bad so maybe there is some hope for the other games they are releasing this year (Le Havre, T&E and Through the Ages).

choodi

Banned
platypotamus said:
I think I like this Balloon Cup game on yucata, but I should have done more than skimming the rules, I don't think I knew you could pop a balloon on your opponent's side to screw them. Now I know, and knowing is half the something.
I am really enjoying that game too, but please explain the balloon popping thing to me!

I couldn't see any mention of it in the rules

MrMan2k3

choodi said:
I am really enjoying that game too, but please explain the balloon popping thing to me!

I couldn't see any mention of it in the rules
My guess is Platy is referring to the way you can put cards on your opponents' side to hurt them.

So the Smallworld thing that was teased a week or so ago turns out to be a stand alone offshoot from the series.
6Addu.jpg

News Link
Philippe Keyaerts' Small World has a been a huge success, spawning a half-dozen expansions (so far) and selling more than 100,000 copies in ten languages since its debut in 2009.

So it shouldn't come as a surprise to see Keyaerts and publisher Days of Wonder put a new spin on the system to give players more of what they enjoy. Small World Underground is a standalone game that retains the feel and game play of Small World, while providing a wealth of new races and special powers for players to enjoy.

Small World Underground is set in the subterranean world below the one being fought over in Small World, with four separate game boards for the four possible player configurations. Players will once again be drafting race/power combinations to try to conquer areas in a land that's too small to fit everyone comfortably, but this time certain areas are occupied by monsters that are guarding relics and "places of power". In addition to having 15 new races and 21 new special powers, Small World Underground includes 9 Popular Places; 6 Righteous Relics; 9 Black Mountains; 1 Volcano; 106 Victory Coins; Armor, Hammer and Vengeance markers; a "Bag-o'-Many-Things"; and (according to the press release) "many other special items".

While Small World Underground is playable on its own, the game can be combined with other Small World releases, presumably by mixing races and powers as desired. The Days of Wonder press release notes that Small World Underground "is recommended for players who are already familiar with Small World".

Small World Underground will be released in June 2011 in Europe and in July 2011 in North America with a retail price of $50/€45.
Inside the box
* 2 Double-Sided Game Boards, one for each player configuration
* 15 New Fantasy Races with matching banners & tokens
* 21 New Special Power badges
* 9 Popular Places & 6 Righteous Relics
* 9 Black Mountains & 1 Volcano
* 8 Mushroom Armor, 7 Silver Hammer, 4 Vengeance Markers, 1 Bag-o'-Many-Things & 1 Game Turn Marker
* 1 Balrog, 1 Ghost, 1 Great Ancient & 1 Queen
* 106 Victory Coins
* 5 Player & 1 Game Turn Summary Sheets
* 1 Reinforcement Die
* 1 Rules Booklet

DOW Game Page Link

MrMan2k3

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
So the Smallworld thing that was teased a week or so ago turns out to be a stand alone offshoot from the series.
I'm curious to see how this game will work with the existing races from Small World and the expansions.

Will races and powers that involve region types that aren't on the new board basically become useless, only meant to be passed over and taken when enough victory points are placed on them? Or maybe certain regions on the Underground map will be analogous to regions on the original map.

It's also possible that the maps from the two games can somehow be combined, with tunnels linking them together. Perhaps 2-player boards from each game can be linked to form a 4-player game. That might make for an interesting dynamic.

MrMan2k3

platypotamus said:
Yes, sorry, poor choice of words, pun totally not intended, etc.

Heh, well, I guess it makes sense thematically to pop the balloons! I always pictured it that you're adding weights to the opponent's balloon to keep them lower.

Cathcart

MrMan2k3 said:
I'm curious to see how this game will work with the existing races from Small World and the expansions.

Will races and powers that involve region types that aren't on the new board basically become useless, only meant to be passed over and taken when enough victory points are placed on them? Or maybe certain regions on the Underground map will be analogous to regions on the original map.

It is a stand alone game, not an expansion. You don't combine the two, you just play Underground by itself.

MrMan2k3

Cathcart said:
It is a stand alone game, not an expansion. You don't combine the two, you just play Underground by itself.
Well, in the description on Days of Wonder, it says "Play Small World Underground on its own or combine it with other Small World game elements."

So, it is a standalone game, but they also intend it to work with items from the existing Small World, so it can effectively function as an expansion as well. I have the feeling that some races and powers will be useless on one map or the other, however.

Hero

Is the 7 Wonders web game in English? I'd like to play to try the game out before deciding on whether or not to get it. As a big Magic drafter the premise of the game appeals to me.

Also, for Arkham Horror is there any good tutorial video or document? Thinking of playing a game by myself to get the flow down but would like a reference.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Hero said:
Is the 7 Wonders web game in English? I'd like to play to try the game out before deciding on whether or not to get it. As a big Magic drafter the premise of the game appeals to me.

Also, for Arkham Horror is there any good tutorial video or document? Thinking of playing a game by myself to get the flow down but would like a reference.
No idea, but I sure don't speak French so join up and let's give it a try.

Hero said:

The game is in french on the site but 7 Wonders is fairly language independent. Most of the game is played through icons and the only words on the cards are the names of them. The game is totally playable on this site even if you don't know French.

Brashnir

MrMan2k3 said:

It's also possible that the maps from the two games can somehow be combined, with tunnels linking them together. Perhaps 2-player boards from each game can be linked to form a 4-player game. That might make for an interesting dynamic.

I imagine you'd simply remove the non-relevant powers (mounted, hill, forest, swamp, etc) and there might be modifications for races like Humans who rely on a region type, or you could simply remove them, too.

With 15 new races and 21 new powers, a combined game would still end up with a larger pool after you removed those that didn't work with the new board.

Mashing

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
The game is in french on the site but 7 Wonders is fairly language independent. Most of the game is played through icons and the only words on the cards are the names of them. The game is totally playable on this site even if you don't know French.

Well, that would suck if you wanted to play a card for free because you had already played it's prerequisite. I guess you could just match up the words even if you don't know what they say (not like you have to read kanji or something). I'm going to have to give this a try one of these days as I do enjoy 7 Wonders.

In other news, I ordered my second core set for LOTR LCG.

Mashing said:
Well, that would suck if you wanted to play a card for free because you had already played it's prerequisite. I guess you could just match up the words even if you don't know what they say (not like you have to read kanji or something). I'm going to have to give this a try one of these days as I do enjoy 7 Wonders.
It's easier than you think.

EDIT: We have a space open if you want to play now.

Cathcart

Played my first game of Acquire tonight. That game is the coolest! Our 3 player game was a lot of fun but I can't wait to try a game with even more. I also can't wait until my poker chips show up on Monday because I have played my last game with paper money. Bleh.

It was board game night last night. The first game we played was Letters from Whitechapel. One player plays Jack the Ripper while the other players control the investigators looking for Jack. The Jack player chooses a woman to kill and has to make it back to his hideout before the investigators find him. I thought this game was really fun. I was playing as one of the investigators and we were baffled as to what routes the Jack player was taking. Over the next few turns we managed to narrow down where Jack's hideout could be and the Jack player almost won the game but we got lucky and made an arrest attempt and won. If we hadn't gotten it then, the Jack player would've made it back to his hideout and won.

We also played Navegador. Really fun game but me and another player were fighting over the chapels while the other player had all of the shipyards to himself. I was able to use the market pretty effectively, I think, but I should've put the money to better use.

Neverfade

Doublethink said:
We also played Navegador. Really fun game but me and another player were fighting over the chapels while the other player had all of the shipyards to himself. I was able to use the market pretty effectively, I think, but I should've put the money to better use.
That has the same designer as Imperial, right?

If so, have you played that one/how does it compare?

shas'la

Doublethink said:
It was board game night last night. The first game we played was Letters from Whitechapel. One player plays Jack the Ripper while the other players control the investigators looking for Jack. The Jack player chooses a woman to kill and has to make it back to his hideout before the investigators find him. I thought this game was really fun. I was playing as one of the investigators and we were baffled as to what routes the Jack player was taking. Over the next few turns we managed to narrow down where Jack's hideout could be and the Jack player almost won the game but we got lucky and made an arrest attempt and won. If we hadn't gotten it then, the Jack player would've made it back to his hideout and won.

Letters from Whitechappel is amazing, i love the deduction mechanic behind it, but it seems to turn into jack vs. one dominant player, rather than a group vs. him.

Cyrillus

Hello Board Game-GAF!

I was feeling nostalgic tonight and discussing with a buddy of mine some of the old board game nights we used to have when we were kids. We used to be really into playing a game called HeroQuest, which I'm sure at least some of you have heard of. I did a quick google search and found that this game is no longer made, and fetches ~$100-120 used. I may be willing to drop that much some time in the future, but I was wondering if any of you knew of a current game that is similar in play style, with a dedicated DM and such?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here are some pics:
A pic of the box cover
cxdG8.jpg

A pic of the actual board set up
6ZqOu.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AstroLad said:
*paging neverfade, battlemonkey, et al*

hahah yup. used to play heroquest myself when i was a kid, and we still have the game back at home.

some quick hits from me (check out neverfade's section on thematic games in the op too) while we wait for the experts to chime in:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17226/descent-journeys-in-the-dark
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36932/claustrophobia
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10640/doom-the-boardgame

Those seem to be the best regarded in print dungeon crawlers. I'll add couple more to that list:

Dwarf King's Hold: Dead Rising Recently released from a new miniatures company, looks fun.
Castle Ravenloft there are 2 other games in the same vein.
Catacombs A flicking "dungeon crawler".
Last night on earth Not really fantasy themed, but it's a 1 player (zombies) v/s many (humans) dice fest

Also, tax refunds + many interesting games + birthday in a few days = HUUUUGE order from me. Alien Frontiers, 7 Wonders, Tales of Arabian Nights, Ice Flow, Rattus, Survive + a bunch of fillers and other family games. Almost bit on Claustrophobia and copy of normal blokus but there was no more room left on the package due to international size/weight restrictions. I think it's for the best though, it's an addiction (and now I have a few games to fill a new order when Smallworld Underground releases :p )

Can't wait for the package to arrive.

Cyrillus said:
Hello Board Game-GAF!

I was feeling nostalgic tonight and discussing with a buddy of mine some of the old board game nights we used to have when we were kids. We used to be really into playing a game called HeroQuest, which I'm sure at least some of you have heard of. I did a quick google search and found that this game is no longer made, and fetches ~$100-120 used. I may be willing to drop that much some time in the future, but I was wondering if any of you knew of a current game that is similar in play style, with a dedicated DM and such?

"Descent" is the best DM dungeon crawl board game, with tons of options and expansions that pretty much give it near infinite replayability.

Neverfade

I'd second Descent, and definitely check out Earth Reborn. That's been getting a fair amount of buzz and I must say I'm interested. Those components look great.

Neverfade

After I got turned down 7 freakin times for trades(offering decent stuff like Stronghold), I broke down and bought Shogun.

Cube tower time!

TwiztidElf

Picked up 7Wonders last week, and we've played it 4 times now, and WOW. Believe the hype, this game is the business. Really enjoying it. Goes up there with my favourites now (Pandemic, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride and Battle Line).

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, I enjoyed 7 wonders as well. Plus my wife LOVED it, so that makes it an easy buy. She is tough to sell on card based games and I think 7 wonders is no simpler than Thunderstone, Dominion, or GoT (definitely less obtuse than RftG though), but she seems taken by it more than those others.

I'm REALLY interested in the Dominant Species card game. That is either going to be a huge winner or a colossal disaster.

MichaelBD

jason10mm said:
I'm REALLY interested in the Dominant Species card game. That is either going to be a huge winner or a colossal disaster.

Is this a new announcement?

I'm playing Dominant Species for the first time today and I'm pretty excited about it. I have a good feeling it's going to become a favorite.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
AstroLad said:
if anyone wants to get some yucata games goin, just post/invite. down to 10 active games!
Hah, only 10 active games? You bored bastard!

Edit: I would like to try Roll Through the Ages though. Anybody enjoy that game?

sneaky77

Yaboosh said:
Why don't you like Campaign Manager?

lol

I am always up for Yucata, even if lately I been busy and is taken me a little longer to get to my turns.. love that site, I enjoy learning new games, so I am always up for in invite : sneaky77

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Has there been any recent word on the iOS version of Race for the Galaxy? I saw it mentioned on a Geeklist at BGG, but it didn't really have much information.

MichaelBD

Played my first game of Dominant Species. There were three of us and I've read the sweet spot is 4 or 5 but we wanted to play with an animal apiece and not try the variant where each player takes and controls 2 animals.

I have to say I'm impressed that throughout the 5 hours it took us to play we rarely needed to check the rules book. And when we did it was mostly to check on some of the dominance cards functions. Mechanically it's pretty simple and of the 5 hours an hour was spent methodically going over every action step for the one player who hadn't read the manual before hand.

The game is pretty sweet. The mish-mash of a lot of different game mechanics blends together real well. I was solidly in last place for most of the game but at the end, because I was dominating a ton of tiles, I had a serious chance at running for first place. One miscalculation ended up being my undoing on the last turn, otherwise I would have won. The mammal player was in the lead 3/4 of the game and ended up in third. The reptilian player was in second the whole game and ended up winning, and I was playing as the arachnids and ended up second.

Like Civilization I really hope we can get the play time for DS to under 4 hours so it can make it into the regular rotation.

I'm also kind of low on yucata games at the moment. Invite me to anything, I'll accept whether I've played before or not. I'll even accept invites to Hey That's My Fish if anyone wants to basically earn free points off of me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom